FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Anyone ever accidentally hurt someone at work?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I operate a crane at my job and one of the lads smashed his hand last night with a heavy load. Potentially going to lose his thumb or at least part of it. His hand clearly wasnt in the best of places but I'm kicking myself and feel partly to blame.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah I accidentally kicked a kid in the face. We got on really well, so when her mum picked her up from work she said ‘QL kicked me in the face!’ And her mum said ‘obviously didn’t kick you hard enough’

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I operate a crane at my job and one of the lads smashed his hand last night with a heavy load. Potentially going to lose his thumb or at least part of it. His hand clearly wasnt in the best of places but I'm kicking myself and feel partly to blame."

Was there a risk assessment and safe system of work in place? Have both if you been adequately trained in the job you were doing? Do you have appropriate supervision on site?

If you have all of that, were either of you working outside of the safe system of work?

It's natural to feel some guilt when involved in any type of accident but if was an accident. You didn't intend to crush his hand. Hd didn't intend to have his hand crushed.

I assume your health and safety team will be all over it with an investigation now but that's mainly to see if the processes in place were adequate.

I'm sure a message if two to him to see if he's ok would be appreciated

over a year ago

While repointion a Victorian viaduct one of my mates thought I was walking underneath him so dropped a trowels worth of mortar to hit "me", hit some poor lad in the shoulder and dislocated it. When I asked what the f@#k he was thinking he said I thought it was you and was aiming for your head! but these things happen op don't feel bad

over a year ago

Yes I was mortified and still am to this day. In some downtime I was playing catch with a very hard tin foil ball through a hole in the wall. I didn’t realise bit my colleague had walked off and the person now standing there was not in on the game. I launched the ball through the hole and hit her in the eye! Cut above her eyebrow

By *ecky and justCouple
over a year ago

Godalming

I warned a colleague that he had inappropriate footwear on, converse all stars are not steel toe capped after all..

every time I operated the tail lift I gave a warning, he had his foot over the edge when going up. Didn’t lose his toe but wouldn’t be playing football for a while.

Felt terrible. But he ignored countless warnings.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

There's people I've worked with who have operated cranes over 30 years, it's second nature in operation and safety to them.

And they've still had bumps. Zero harm is the goal but zero risk is unfortunately rather unattainable.

Guilt is natural, my dude... but you don't sound like you were off your game. Things happen.

Hope you're alright, fella.

over a year ago

I got punched in the eye by a colleague once, he didn't realise I was standing right next to him and he threw his arm out and caught me with his fist, and it marked.

Poor guy was mortified, I got flowers out of it and chocolate and cake for a month until the marks faded

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Not an injury as such, but when i first started out on my legal secretary days i worked in a solicitors office in Cardiff whose office was set in a very old house that had been converted. Our reception area (where myself and another lady worked) had an old gas fire in the fireplace which was always put on in Winter as our reception door was left open.

We both started feeling a bit sick and unwell but thought nothing of it but a few weeks later a gas engineer came to service it and it turns out the fire had been leaking carbon monoxide.

Our boss was horrified. But it was back in the day before carbon monoxide alarms etc.

over a year ago

I regularly hurt my workmates feelings by calling him a useless cunt !

By *orkyterrierMan
over a year ago

Chester

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an accident. Accidents happen for no reason, but every workplace incident has happened due to a set of circumstances. Blame can always be attached, albeit that blame may be due to the victim.

over a year ago

Training a few years back I dislocated someone’s shoulder

But as far as payback goes...another trainee fractured my ribs.... all good fun

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

Yes , when they accidentally said something they shouldn’t have

over a year ago

I do, when they dont meet their targets. It's not accidental but intentional!

over a year ago

"I do, when they dont meet their targets. It's not accidental but intentional! "

I’ve nearly been hurt from not hitting targets or KPIs. I’m lucky I made it out alive

over a year ago

I’m a Paramedic and you don’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!

over a year ago

"I do, when they dont meet their targets. It's not accidental but intentional!

I’ve nearly been hurt from not hitting targets or KPIs. I’m lucky I made it out alive "

That would change if you were working for me. It would be a one on one coaching session with me. Some of my employees says, it's a torture. I would disagree as I see results after what I call a friendly conversation!

over a year ago

"I do, when they dont meet their targets. It's not accidental but intentional!

I’ve nearly been hurt from not hitting targets or KPIs. I’m lucky I made it out alive

That would change if you were working for me. It would be a one on one coaching session with me. Some of my employees says, it's a torture. I would disagree as I see results after what I call a friendly conversation! "

I find my results change depending on the commission structure

over a year ago

Yes throwing something into a scrap bin I didn't see him walk across from the back of me and it hit him on the temple he had to have about 4 stitches.

But it ended well he got £600 in compensation and gave me £25 for a drink.

I offered to hit him again but he declined

By *lay 4 uMan
over a year ago

bolton

This will the health and safety parasites something to think about while there locked away.

over a year ago

Yes few women fell in love with me and got hurt when I told them that I was gay

over a year ago

He's a gay man. ^

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

Yep. They've all been from me being clumsy though as far as I can tell. Even skinned my head when I walked in to something at full pace... it was an aeroplane.

over a year ago

Only by telling the truth to back stabbing colleagues who stab you at every opportunity, aparantly they don't like being told the truth

over a year ago

Yes I trapped a guys hand in the cylinder of a compressor he shouldn’t have had it there though

over a year ago

I grabbed a sheet of paper and as I brought it towards me it sliced my workmates nose, you know the fleshy bit that separates your nostrils.

My dad was involved in the death of a man at work. The crane he was driving had been serviced the week before and not used since. My dad was the first to drive it since the service and the magnet fell off and crushed his colleague with my dad on the controls. I didn't understand at the time why my dad didn't leave his room for what seemed like an eternity, and why we weren't allowed in the bedroom to see him as I was about 7 I think. I understand now. He was broken.

P

Post new Message to Thread