FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Demise of the Euro, could it lead to war in Europe?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have just read a report which mirrors the current European financial crisis to the situation in 1936. Chilling reading I have to say especially when the summary says the only two options to solve the problem is for the Germans to write a cheque for E6 Trillion! or all countries rearm and boost their ecomoies with military spending.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I have just read a report which mirrors the current European financial crisis to the situation in 1936. Chilling reading I have to say especially when the summary says the only two options to solve the problem is for the Germans to write a cheque for E6 Trillion! or all countries rearm and boost their ecomoies with military spending."
Interesting....But history does have a bad habit of repeating itself.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"I have just read a report which mirrors the current European financial crisis to the situation in 1936. Chilling reading I have to say especially when the summary says the only two options to solve the problem is for the Germans to write a cheque for E6 Trillion! or all countries rearm and boost their ecomoies with military spending."

The parallels escape me. And why 1936?

over a year ago

Obama pretty much said yesterday that the Euro cannot be allowed to fail. Loss of manufacturing jobs in Euroland will lead to cancelled contracts and unemployed in Pittsburgh. We're in the same position too.

Osbourne gets hammered every time a new Euro bailout is proposed but people need to put politics aside and realise the stark truth that if we don't help the Euro (and don't forget that if the Euro had never come about we would help any of the individual countries if they got into financial trouble) we would be facing a Depression the likes of which we've never seen before.

The Euro has got to be propped up until it finds it's feet. It was a petulant child full of teething problems and now it's an angst-filled teenager going through puberty, and it needs nurturing not turfing out the door as soon as it becomes a little unpredictable.

By *ap AdgeMan
over a year ago

Wirral

One day Germany will need us again the far right Oddessa file.

By *harax1985Man
over a year ago

Edlington

Even if it collapses entirely, it won't lead to war in Europe - who would you fight? It's no one country's fault (not even Greece) and there's a lot more going on than "Greece spent too much, damn them"

Personally I think China will be the ones to bail out ailing countries if things get REALLY bad - they're the second largest country in the world (by GDP, not per capita, that's Qatar), always seeking to expand their influence and they don't have to deal with the opposition the US would face from internal politics when trying to arrange a bailout.

Whether any European country would take China's money is a different issue, but I guess that depends on how bad things get.

over a year ago

"The Euro has got to be propped up until it finds it's feet. It was a petulant child full of teething problems and now it's an angst-filled teenager going through puberty, and it needs nurturing not turfing out the door as soon as it becomes a little unpredictable."

Sounds better than the depression scenario.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Any report which only has 2 options for something so complicated and one of them is a 'european war' sounds like a tad iffy..

the Euro cant succeed as a 'common' currency without full political alignement and that wont happen in our lifetimes..

agree 'they', IMF, g8, g20 etc etc cant allow it to fail..

but people are beginning to have enough of 'austerity' and therein lies political problems for those imposing this..

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Any report which only has 2 options for something so complicated and one of them is a 'european war' sounds like a tad iffy..

the Euro cant succeed as a 'common' currency without full political alignement and that wont happen in our lifetimes..

but people are beginning to have enough of 'austerity' and therein lies political problems for those imposing this.. "

The report makes the point that the current unrest is a breeding ground for extreme politics. The unrest is there to be seen on the streets of Athens where Arch Bishop Mczenchov supportes have the ear or the people. This chap (who is dead) want to march on Turkey!

I just get the feeling that we are in very unchartered waters!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

the far right always prosper in 'uncertain economic times'..

the rise of the nazi idolising fuckwits in Greece is worrying..

By *nytimeadeMan
over a year ago

Skegness

"Any report which only has 2 options for something so complicated and one of them is a 'european war' sounds like a tad iffy..

but people are beginning to have enough of 'austerity' and therein lies political problems for those imposing this..

The report makes the point that the current unrest is a breeding ground for extreme politics. The unrest is there to be seen on the streets of Athens where Arch Bishop Mczenchov supportes have the ear or the people. This chap (who is dead) want to march on Turkey!

I just get the feeling that we are in very unchartered waters!"

LOL, "the Ear of the peeps " ,nice one Goffy Dont worry ya daft sen about world war ,China will save ya ...

over a year ago

"the far right always prosper in 'uncertain economic times'..

"

They only got 6% of the vote but if that was to happen here we'd see somewhere between 60-90 BNP members of parliament in Westminster (Labour's support was down 6.2% and they lost 90 seats)

over a year ago

Three countries seem to be in trouble. Spain,Portugal and Italy.One thing they have in common is a Fascist past.

If it all goes bandy the behaviour of a lot of the Eastern European countries doesn't bear thinking about either

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

I am frequently wrong bit I don't see this leading to another European war. I would imagine that any sign of that and we would suddenly see lots of peacekeeping action from the real super powers.

I would be more concerned about regoinalised conflicts flaring up especially in communities which already feel they are treated detrimentally to the rest of their country. I would therefore keep a close eye on the Basque region if things worsen in Spain.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

I just get the feeling that we are in very unchartered waters!"

A man who is dead wants to march on Turkey?

Where are you getting this from?

By *eaboMan
over a year ago

marden

there's no need to worry really, if europe has enough oil america will send a 'peace keeping force'

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

They only got 6% of the vote but if that was to happen here we'd see somewhere between 60-90 BNP members of parliament in Westminster (Labour's support was down 6.2% and they lost 90 seats)"

Do you want to think again about this?

6% of the vote in the UK, evenly distributed, means no seats in Parliament. Far right parties like the DUP do win seats in special geographic or demographic circumstances, but the BNP have not yet found that kind of base.

Even if we had PR (which we don't) 6% of the vote would mean about forty seats in the current parliament, and thirty in the next.

your logic (Labour vote down 6.2% = 90 seats) is psephologically unsound.

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

well the situation in ireland is bleak,,war would never be an option,,but riots will happen here if the politicans keep goin back on their word,the last bailout ireland got mainly went to the banks,and still they are giving bonuses to top level bosses,yet the working class/unemployed still get butchered in the budgets,,careers are being hit big time aswell,bospitals schools,job schemes are all being hit weeke after week with new laws that cost them money to stick with them,yet no help from the goverment bar being told to tighten our belts,

if we tighten them any more we will disappear lol

over a year ago

Everyone has no money, so we spend more money to fight and kill each other which costs money and then spend more money to rebuild the aftermath and damage caused?

This situation has no resemblance what so ever with the world wars. There is no Franz Ferdinand or Adolf Hitler. no land disputed over, (unless spain invade Gibraltar lol) No crazy dictators in Power, the age of Empires is over. Who we going to go to War with?

over a year ago

the recession sounds like a terrible thing for the people involved

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

interesting scenario's being mentioned... i don't think it would lead to the war across europe... the best comparison for whats happening in greece, may well to look to what happened to argentina...

country went to the wall, cause hyper inflation and they have to devalue... then the miltary took over in a coup....

over a year ago

They only got 6% of the vote but if that was to happen here we'd see somewhere between 60-90 BNP members of parliament in Westminster (Labour's support was down 6.2% and they lost 90 seats)

6% of the vote in the UK, evenly distributed, means no seats in Parliament. Far right parties like the DUP do win seats in special geographic or demographic circumstances, but the BNP have not yet found that kind of base.

Even if we had PR (which we don't) 6% of the vote would mean about forty seats in the current parliament, and thirty in the next.

your logic (Labour vote down 6.2% = 90 seats) is psephologically unsound."

Assuming (which you have) that the current method of electing our representaives remains. I offered a scenario like that which is happening in Greece at the moment where all the parties were being invited to sit down and form a government. Should that happen here, the BNP holding a 6% share of the vote could use that as leverage for seats. All the rules will fly out the window and what we know and are used to in a democratic process will be a thing of past elections.

One also has to factor in how much support the BNP would gain in a country beset by austerity measures, inflation spiralling out of control, debt piling upon debt due to extortionate interest rates set by Germany and a general 'fuck this bollocks' attitude of the British public.

Hyopthetically speaking, of course, feel free to hypothetically correct me.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Assuming (which you have) that the current method of electing our representaives remains. I offered a scenario like that which is happening in Greece at the moment where all the parties were being invited to sit down and form a government. Should that happen here, the BNP holding a 6% share of the vote could use that as leverage for seats. All the rules will fly out the window and what we know and are used to in a democratic process will be a thing of past elections.

One also has to factor in how much support the BNP would gain in a country beset by austerity measures, inflation spiralling out of control, debt piling upon debt due to extortionate interest rates set by Germany and a general 'fuck this bollocks' attitude of the British public.

Hyopthetically speaking, of course, feel free to hypothetically correct me."

If one is correcting an incorrect hypothesis one is behaving dialectically, or perhaps antithetically, but not hypothetically. In this case it's dialectically, since I'm correcting your hypothesis, and I have no desire to proffer my own antithesis in such a poorly framed debate. That's why I asked the OP about his source.

The current method of electing MPs will remain to the next general election - we had a referendum, remember?

For your arithmetic to be accurate we'd need to radically increase the number of MPs - you simply made a dodgy assumption - nothing wrong there, but it did rather undermine the rest of your hypothesis.

The last time we had a government dependent on minority far right parties (1979) the government were willing to court defeat rather than give in to them - that's how Callaghan lost the confidence vote in the Commons and we ended up with parliament ending six months earlier than necessary, and Thatcher winning.

over a year ago

Your verbal diaorrhea is literally oozing today. Have you been at the alphabetti spaghetti with a vengeance?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yes

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Whoopy Doo......someone on here knows a few big words, I'll sleep a little better tonight in the full knowledge of that fact

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Whoopy Doo......someone on here knows a few big words, I'll sleep a little better tonight in the full knowledge of that fact"

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Keep you off the calms a bit ..... nighty night Jane x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Hyopthetically speaking, of course, feel free to hypothetically correct me.If one is correcting an incorrect hypothesis one is behaving dialectically, or perhaps antithetically, but not hypothetically. In this case it's dialectically, since I'm correcting your hypothesis, and I have no desire to proffer my own antithesis in such a poorly framed debate. That's why I asked the OP about his source.

The current method of electing MPs will remain to the next general election - we had a referendum, remember?

For your arithmetic to be accurate we'd need to radically increase the number of MPs - you simply made a dodgy assumption - nothing wrong there, but it did rather undermine the rest of your hypothesis.

The last time we had a government dependent on minority far right parties (1979) the government were willing to court defeat rather than give in to them - that's how Callaghan lost the confidence vote in the Commons and we ended up with parliament ending six months earlier than necessary, and Thatcher winning."

Are you a good fuck tho ?

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Whoopy Doo......someone on here knows a few big words, I'll sleep a little better tonight in the full knowledge of that fact"

Went to the doctors last week, he thinks I might have pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, but it's difficult to say

over a year ago

"Whoopy Doo......someone on here knows a few big words, I'll sleep a little better tonight in the full knowledge of that fact

Went to the doctors last week, he thinks I might have pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, but it's difficult to say "

please stop ... i have a bad case of hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Whoopy Doo......someone on here knows a few big words, I'll sleep a little better tonight in the full knowledge of that fact

Went to the doctors last week, he thinks I might have pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, but it's difficult to say

please stop ... i have a bad case of hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia "

Ironic that a fear of long words has over 30 letters

over a year ago

"The last time we had a government dependent on minority far right parties (1979) the government were willing to court defeat rather than give in to them - that's how Callaghan lost the confidence vote in the Commons and we ended up with parliament ending six months earlier than necessary, and Thatcher winning."

So, all's well that ends well then.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Your verbal diaorrhea is literally oozing today. Have you been at the alphabetti spaghetti with a vengeance? "
No. So you've nothing to add to your previous offerings then? Well done.

over a year ago

All of the current economic troubles in the various countries throughout the world have been for told already

How many people are aware of the mian calendar and the quatrains of Nostradamus according to both we have until 23/12/12 then boom it's all over take that into account with the current instability and it's actually quite daunting

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"All of the current economic troubles in the various countries throughout the world have been for told already

How many people are aware of the mian calendar and the quatrains of Nostradamus according to both we have until 23/12/12 then boom it's all over take that into account with the current instability and it's actually quite daunting "

You mean we don't even get to have Christmas day this year?.....gutted.

over a year ago

is it just me, or does any serious comment on this thread seem to lose credibility when you see a picture of tits/arse/cock etc attatched to the post????

over a year ago

"All of the current economic troubles in the various countries throughout the world have been for told already

How many people are aware of the mian calendar and the quatrains of Nostradamus according to both we have until 23/12/12 then boom it's all over take that into account with the current instability and it's actually quite daunting "

didnt the myans say it was the 21/12/12?

Post new Message to Thread