Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

would you stop

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

smoking if that was your child on the adverts

( anyone who aint seen them, there's children sat there asking there parents to stop smoking cuz they dont wanna see em die )

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

"smoking if that was your child on the adverts

( anyone who aint seen them, there's children sat there asking there parents to stop smoking cuz they dont wanna see em die ) "

Never smoked, its a filthy habit.

My daughter asks her nana most weeks to give up but nanna is 76, smoked 3 per day since she was 17 so if its gonna kill her young, it's a bit late, if you get my meanin xx

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

blimey, only one comment

By *itchfieldMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I imagine if I were smoking I'd be an addict and unable to quit. It's not as if smokers don't already know that they're killing themselves. Who knows though? Maybe they're effective for some people or at least help push them to seek what help is out there.

By *nffCouple
over a year ago

derby

i have tried everything to stop smoking even hypnotism, my kids hate it, my dad died from smoking related cancer just am a very weak person it seems. not even a heavy smoker

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

day 3 and still no fag, 1000 packet of polo's though lol but why do i seem to have a cough that i can't get rid of ? all the time i was smoking i never really had a cough

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Honestly??? No, as bad as it sounds. I am a smoker and I have kids. I to have also tried most things including Zyban, which did work till I lost my grandad and I was weak enough to reach for the ciggarettes again.

I admit I have no willpower. I hate the smell, the taste, the cost, the health dangers, at 30 I've been smoking 17 yrs.

Do I wanna stop? yes, Can I ? no

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

i seem to remember seeing either in the press or on tv sometime ago, that a chemist did a study on tabbacco and why it's adictive, and found that tobbacco in it's pure form isn't as it contains nothing that could lead to an addiction, but refined tobbacco as used in cigarette's on sale has so many additives in it that some combine to make a substance that is addictive, so are cigarette companie's deliberately selling a known drug under licence by all goverment's ??? and if so why don't smoker's get the same help that drug addict's recieve ?

over a year ago

I smoked from the age of 14 to erm 5 years ago. packed in using Zyban. was never tempted even when I had some really dark moments in my life. Then June last year I went on holiday with a group of women who all smoked. Started by smelling them, then lighting them and then voila there I was...Patsey out of Ab Fab with the cig in my gob first thing in the morning.

So the other month I went to Fag Ends and went on Champix. OMG I wanted to throw myself under a train. I was still smoking but so incredibly depressed. Plus I felt constantly nauseous. So I stopped them. Right now is not really a good moment to pack the cigs in. But when my life settles again, I would like to stop and hopefully encourage Patrick to do the same.

Then as I said, will put on profile for all smoker to feck off coz they are dirty smelly beasts....hahaha!!!!!!!

By *itchfieldMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"i seem to remember seeing either in the press or on tv sometime ago, that a chemist did a study on tabbacco and why it's adictive, and found that tobbacco in it's pure form isn't as it contains nothing that could lead to an addiction, but refined tobbacco as used in cigarette's on sale has so many additives in it that some combine to make a substance that is addictive, so are cigarette companie's deliberately selling a known drug under licence by all goverment's ??? and if so why don't smoker's get the same help that drug addict's recieve ? "

There's a massive ongoing NHS support setup for quitting smoking isn't there? And yes, cigarette companies deliberately added addictive chemicals to fags for many years.

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

there is a suppoert system set up within the NHS but it doesn't recieve half the funding that drug addition recieves

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"there is a suppoert system set up within the NHS but it doesn't recieve half the funding that drug addition recieves "
why should it ?

over a year ago

"i seem to remember seeing either in the press or on tv sometime ago, that a chemist did a study on tabbacco and why it's adictive, and found that tobbacco in it's pure form isn't as it contains nothing that could lead to an addiction, but refined tobbacco as used in cigarette's on sale has so many additives in it that some combine to make a substance that is addictive, so are cigarette companie's deliberately selling a known drug under licence by all goverment's ??? and if so why don't smoker's get the same help that drug addict's recieve ?

There's a massive ongoing NHS support setup for quitting smoking isn't there? And yes, cigarette companies deliberately added addictive chemicals to fags for many years. "

Over 4000 chemicals to each ciggie.

In order for it to be addictive.

Normal tobabcco is not addictive.

By *im53Man
over a year ago

Boldon

"i seem to remember seeing either in the press or on tv sometime ago, that a chemist did a study on tabbacco and why it's adictive, and found that tobbacco in it's pure form isn't as it contains nothing that could lead to an addiction, but refined tobbacco as used in cigarette's on sale has so many additives in it that some combine to make a substance that is addictive, so are cigarette companie's deliberately selling a known drug under licence by all goverment's ??? and if so why don't smoker's get the same help that drug addict's recieve ?

There's a massive ongoing NHS support setup for quitting smoking isn't there? And yes, cigarette companies deliberately added addictive chemicals to fags for many years.

Over 4000 chemicals to each ciggie.

In order for it to be addictive.

Normal tobabcco is not addictive. "

knew my rollies were better

they dont have all the other stuff put in them, whish is there to keep them lit

over a year ago

if you cant do it for your kids then youll never do it... wierd thing is you'd probably give your life for them if needed and yes im one of them who says feck the smokers on here soz nothing worse than seeing someone sexy put a fag in their mouth foul puts me off completely, i do feel for people trying to give up keep going you can do it xx

over a year ago

Neither me or hubby smoke but both have family who smoke.

If it were me then seein my kid on the telly saying that would be the giant kick up the butt I needed to stop. Or try to stop or even just cut down. But I have seen how hard it is and no one really knows until it is them.

over a year ago

If cigarettes were attempted to be introduced into the UK today ( IF they were not here already) then they would NEVER NEVER be allowed to be sold, they are already worse than some class "a"drugs,(in terms of the contents, not just tobacco).

They would be subject to testing that the companies managed to avoid in the past.

However as approx 85% of the cost of cigs are tax, thats about £4.25 ave, they sell approx 2 1/2 million per DAY, thats over £100 million going into the govt treasury, they KNOW its killing millions, but £100 million per day pays for a LOT of "hush"money

over a year ago

I wouldn't stop no.

I done smoke because I have no will power, its simply because I enjoy it.

we all do things that can be dangerous to our health that we enjoy and i'm afraid this is mine

Tony

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

"there is a suppoert system set up within the NHS but it doesn't recieve half the funding that drug addition recieves why should it ?"

Quite right, I'm fat, no NHS offer to pay my weightwatchers group here (if I was going that is) I'm fat, not ill.

over a year ago

Read the research, you are not enjoying it.

What your body is actually saying to you is thank you for avoiding the 100% inevitable pain and suffering that it's going to endure from being separated from this addictive substance.

It's a very long way from enjoyment, in fact it's likened more to a feeling of absolute relief, in the same manner that a junkie gets from their fix

over a year ago

I so admire folks who give up smoking, so good luck to those trying... and, well done to all who have quit

xxx

over a year ago

"day 3 and still no fag, 1000 packet of polo's though lol but why do i seem to have a cough that i can't get rid of ? all the time i was smoking i never really had a cough "

If it spreads to you fingers your gonna be stuffed eh lol..

The coughing is your body getting rid of the crud.. after 3 days your now clear of the nicotine.. so now when you go and have one its just plain lack of willpower..

over a year ago

I dont want to stop smoking it is legal so why shouldn't I smoke.

Obesity costs the government more than health problems caused by smoking.

Alcohol abuse costs the government morethan healt problems caused by smoking.

I neither drink to excess (a bottle of bacardi a month mostly over 2 months) nor am I obese.

Non-smokers now have the law they wanted to give them non-smoking public places, isn't it about time they found something else to moan about your becoming so tiresome with your anti smoker droning.

over a year ago

I packed it in last November after 33 years of smoking and just got fed up with my house smelling, me smelling and the restrictions being a smoker puts on your life. Having to make sure you didn't run out of ciggies, going outside for a puff and being concious of the sneers you get from non smokers. So I put my arse into gear and was determined to end my addiction. I had my last ciggie on Oct 26th and despite my father having a stroke and then dying in November, I didn't slip back into it and am so glad I packed it in. When I think how much money I've spent over the 33 years I smoked, I kick myself. Now, being an ex smoker, I'm afraid I've become an anti smoker and would never meet someone off here that smokes. The smell just turns my stomach now.

Good luck to anyone who is trying to pack it in, I just used to think how wonderful it was that my house was smelling lovely and all the money I saved. £2,000 since October! It went part toward my new (and very sexy) bathroom!!!!

over a year ago

Well done you, nothing a bit of will power cannot achieve

over a year ago

Billys tryed everything including the electronic cigarette! guess he's just one of the many with not enough will power and yes our kids do nag him and he also lost his mum to lung cancer! maybe one day he'll manage to give up!

we'd be lost without him!

over a year ago

"I dont want to stop smoking it is legal so why shouldn't I smoke.

I neither drink to excess (a bottle of bacardi a month mostly over 2 months) nor am I obese.

Non-smokers now have the law they wanted to give them non-smoking public places, isn't it about time they found something else to moan about your becoming so tiresome with your anti smoker droning."

Don't think anyone was saying you couldn't smoke, no one called you fat... no one said you over drink... So, who is droning on again??

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Non-smokers now have the law they wanted to give them non-smoking public places, isn't it about time they found something else to moan about your becoming so tiresome with your anti smoker droning.

Don't think anyone was saying you couldn't smoke, no one called you fat... no one said you over drink... So, who is droning on again?? "

god i need a fag now

over a year ago

Don't think anyone was saying you couldn't smoke, no one called you fat... no one said you over drink... So, who is droning on again?? god i need a fag now "

Breaking strain of a wet kit kat

over a year ago

Don't think anyone was saying you couldn't smoke, no one called you fat... no one said you over drink... So, who is droning on again?? "

This very threads existance verifies what I have said along with some of the comments here, for instance "it's a filthy habit" is there a thread about over indulgence in alcohol ? is there a thread about the problems of obesity ? is there a thread about the problems to the public caused by the chewing (and discarding) of gum ? ...... I dont think so

over a year ago

"Read the research, you are not enjoying it.

What your body is actually saying to you is thank you for avoiding the 100% inevitable pain and suffering that it's going to endure from being separated from this addictive substance.

It's a very long way from enjoyment, in fact it's likened more to a feeling of absolute relief, in the same manner that a junkie gets from their fix "

Yep its addictive, I know that same as any other smoker, there has been times in the past I wish I never of started but currently I do actually enjoy it.

No intention of packing up and as I have a draw full of tobacco not going to run out and feel the affects of withdrawal

Even though I smoke, I have a fairly healthy life style, I don't drink, I exorcize, I eat a healthy diet ... so have to do something bad

Tony

over a year ago

"Read the research, you are not enjoying it.

It's a very long way from enjoyment, in fact it's likened more to a feeling of absolute relief, in the same manner that a junkie gets from their fix

Yep its addictive, I know that same as any other smoker, there has been times in the past I wish I never of started but currently I do actually enjoy it.

No intention of packing up and as I have a draw full of tobacco not going to run out and feel the affects of withdrawal

Even though I smoke, I have a fairly healthy life style, I don't drink, I exorcize, I eat a healthy diet ... so have to do something bad

Tony "

Tony,

Not for me to criticise how you live your life, that was not my intention. All I was doing, pedant that I am, was pointing out what research thinks with regard to enjoyment.

As you and Ged both say we all have our weakness's so rather than a big falling out best we all do the agree to disagree thing

over a year ago

Here's a way to give up.......... have kidney stones with an abcess, week in hospital, last thing on my mind was a cigerette........... (and for anyone that wants to know, kidney stones are as painful as giving birth!)

Bruv said you haven't had a cigerette for a week why not try and stop,

not had one since, don't say I have given up, it's like being an alcholic, I know if I ever have one, I'll be back smoking again........

Good luck to you all, and just to say I don't feel any healthier!!

over a year ago

Ive stopped

ner ner

Well ok and a few slip ups.

But carrying on regardless.

But have to say...

Smoking as an addiction is quite selfish and no you dont consider

Kids when doing it.

Well only to a point.

I wouldnt ever smoke while in same room as my son though as he got older his choice would be sometimes to sit with me but i always put the thing out.

He had always had a bad chest and suffered when with his mates who smoked.

So wouldnt do it.

Its like any addiction.

You have to do it for yourself.

with me, emotional blackmail never worked

over a year ago

"Tony,

Not for me to criticise how you live your life, that was not my intention. All I was doing, pedant that I am, was pointing out what research thinks with regard to enjoyment.

As you and Ged both say we all have our weakness's so rather than a big falling out best we all do the agree to disagree thing "

I never fall out with anyone especially over such a trivial thing, we all do our own things that we maybe shouldn't and thats mine

I do find it funny though that some people think of smoking as a weakness.. does that meen drinking is a weakness.. after all, they can both affect your health

Tony

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

"there is a suppoert system set up within the NHS but it doesn't recieve half the funding that drug addition recieves why should it ?"

because there are far more smoker's in this country than drug abuser's and the goverment is actively trying to regulate smoking as it does drug use, a drug user can book into a rehab centre and get all the help and back up thats needed including 1-2-1 counciling a smoker goes to his doctor and is given a batch of patch's or what ever and sent on his way, no back up no counciling and no rehab centre, even people with problems that can't kill them get better back up help than a smoker

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

and here's a thing i have noticed during the past few months, all the people who argued that smoking in pub's clubs and othe place's like that, where do you see them ?? out side talking to their smoker friends as they stand smoking, i thought the idea was to give the non-smokers a cleaner drinking space so they could enjoy their drink without breathing in the smoke others caused whilst enjoying a pint, there is something that britain was always proud to proclaim,,,, and that was freedom of choice,,,, where is that freedom for the smoker,,,the car driver kills more people per year than a smoker

over a year ago

"and here's a thing i have noticed during the past few months, all the people who argued that smoking in pub's clubs and othe place's like that, where do you see them ?? out side talking to their smoker friends as they stand smoking, i thought the idea was to give the non-smokers a cleaner drinking space so they could enjoy their drink without breathing in the smoke others caused whilst enjoying a pint, there is something that britain was always proud to proclaim,,,, and that was freedom of choice,,,, where is that freedom for the smoker,,,the car driver kills more people per year than a smoker "

Now that is about as daft a post as I have seen on here for a good while

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"and here's a thing i have noticed during the past few months, all the people who argued that smoking in pub's clubs and othe place's like that, where do you see them ?? out side talking to their smoker friends as they stand smoking, i thought the idea was to give the non-smokers a cleaner drinking space so they could enjoy their drink without breathing in the smoke others caused whilst enjoying a pint, there is something that britain was always proud to proclaim,,,, and that was freedom of choice,,,, where is that freedom for the smoker,,,the car driver kills more people per year than a smoker "
now im puzzled

Post new Message to Thread