Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Never meet your idol

Jump to newest

By *ueandbill OP   Couple
over a year ago

Leyland

So the saying goes, have you ever met your idol and been disappointed

I used to like The police as a teen, and in my late 20s I got the chance to meet Mr Sumner aka Sting back stage in New York. He came in the room, didnt look at a group of 5 or 6 of us just the girl in charge , and said "don't let these people take any pictures".

One guy said "These fuc###ng people" and gave him a few choice words as his staff ushered him out

Arrogant horrible man

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Steve Davis who was an absolutely ignorant man towards me!

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Was the guy ushered out or Sting ?

By *ueandbill OP   Couple
over a year ago

Leyland

"Was the guy ushered out or Sting ?"

Sumner was ushered out - I cant bring myself to call him Sting, never liked the guy since

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

I met the author of the funniest book I’ve ever read (not that famous although he was in a band along time ago) and he was pretty arrogant rude.

My brother delivers to a lot of famous people, some are lovely apparently (sporty Spice, Hugh Laurie) some are complete plonkers (Austin Healy looking at you).

By *oinerbillMan
over a year ago

warrington

"I met the author of the funniest book I’ve ever read (not that famous although he was in a band along time ago) and he was pretty arrogant rude.

My brother delivers to a lot of famous people, some are lovely apparently (sporty Spice, Hugh Laurie) some are complete plonkers (Austin Healy looking at you)."

I played rugby with Austin Healy, he is one arrogant horrible man

By *onnydayzMan
over a year ago

preston

I delivered to Stings holiday home in Grasmere, Lake District. He phone the office and put a complaint in because I'd actually gone to his house to make delivery.

Apparently I should of rang beforehand and arranged to meet his housekeeper in the village but there was no delivery instructions for me.

The house was a private dwelling through a farm.

Delivered to many famous people around the Lakes mainly their holiday homes but he was one that stuck in my mind. Knob!!!!!

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

My dad always took us to celebrity golf matches when we were young. We had autograph books and had them signed by many people. I remember Bruce Forsyth kept promising to sign all the books at the end but buggered off at the end in a fancy car without signing one.

By *ookie46Woman
over a year ago

Deepest darkest Peru

He wasn’t my idol but Jason Donovan was rather rude when I met him

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Well as arrogant as they may be ,bet they are still stuck indoors just like the rest of us!!

I used to work over Heathrow airport and saw and met many famous people.

Dianna Ross was really rude.

Some great ones tho.

David Bowie was a legend

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"My dad always took us to celebrity golf matches when we were young. We had autograph books and had them signed by many people. I remember Bruce Forsyth kept promising to sign all the books at the end but buggered off at the end in a fancy car without signing one."

I agree with that I used to see him up the local shops all the time , do not like speaking Ill of the dead but he was very ignorant indeed .

over a year ago

Get this thread off here! I'm busy PMing someone...

over a year ago

"Get this thread off here! I'm busy PMing someone..."

over a year ago

A great rapper once said ‘meeting all my heroes is like seeing how magic works’

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

My first sporting hero was Peter Osgood. I met him in a lift at Stamford Bridge about a year before he died.

Even as an adult I was star struck and unsure what to say. “Hello Mr Osgood” was all

I could think of. “Please, call me Pete” was his response. A lovely guy.

over a year ago

"I met the author of the funniest book I’ve ever read (not that famous although he was in a band along time ago) and he was pretty arrogant rude.

My brother delivers to a lot of famous people, some are lovely apparently (sporty Spice, Hugh Laurie) some are complete plonkers (Austin Healy looking at you).

I played rugby with Austin Healy, he is one arrogant horrible man"

Haha, well renowned young be a prick

By *oinerbillMan
over a year ago

warrington

"My first sporting hero was Peter Osgood. I met him in a lift at Stamford Bridge about a year before he died.

Even as an adult I was star struck and unsure what to say. “Hello Mr Osgood” was all

I could think of. “Please, call me Pete” was his response. A lovely guy."

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

Jon Bon Jovi - was in a small group of special vip guests ushered up to meet him, but he just ignored us all, he was more interested in himself than anyone else.

Sir Terry Pratchett however - what a star!

By *oinerbillMan
over a year ago

warrington

I met Alan Ball and Howard Kendal, and was the same as above, star struck

I can honestly say I have never met 2 more down to earth guys in my life, both a credit to their profession

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I've met a few celebs in my time and can't think of one that was particularly off - in fact most have gone out of their way to be nice...three that stick in my mind though are

Lee Thompson (Madness sax player) who always makes time to chat and go out of his way for fans

Dave Wakeling (The Beat) bumped into him backstage at one of his gigs in Birmingham and mentioned I was also seeing him in London later that week - he invited me to arrive early and spend time chatting, which I did and was invited onto the tour bus and to see sound check and spent hours just chatting with him.

Ranking Roger (The Beat) was seeing him play at a free festival and tweeted that I was looking forward to it - he replied and we chatted back and forth a bit before he asked if I'd like to meet up before he went on stage - again spent a good while chatting.

I've found with a lot of celebs that if you treat them like normal people rather than getting star struck that they tend to treat you like a normal person too

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

Dolph Lundgren was a bit off, I was having a photo taken with him and Jon Bernthal and before I went in his staff said "Dolph isn't doing any handshakes", he did say hello when I stood next to him though. Jon on the other hand was great, really warm welcome and handshake and a really down to earth friendly bloke, and he's arguably a bigger star than Dolph ever was!

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

I've met Neil Gaiman twice and he is a beautiful human

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

Have spent some time with many A listers Robert de Niro was an arse, Mel Gibson a great normal guy, this was before his latest issues

over a year ago

"Have spent some time with many A listers Robert de Niro was an arse, Mel Gibson a great normal guy, this was before his latest issues"

Who is the most famous person you have met?

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

"Have spent some time with many A listers Robert de Niro was an arse, Mel Gibson a great normal guy, this was before his latest issues

Who is the most famous person you have met?"

All actors and depends on their popularity at the time, I guess Tom Cruise and Brad Pit are most popular

over a year ago

Met Ali Campbell and Astro from UB40 a couple of years ago. They both took the time to take great photos with me.

Two lovely guys who are still making fabulous music.

over a year ago

"Have spent some time with many A listers Robert de Niro was an arse, Mel Gibson a great normal guy, this was before his latest issues

All actors and depends on their popularity at the time, I guess Tom Cruise and Brad Pit are most popular "

Good stuff, I knew a few of the England rugby lads a while back, but now all since retired

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

All actors and depends on their popularity at the time, I guess Tom Cruise and Brad Pit are most popular

Good stuff, I knew a few of the England rugby lads a while back, but now all since retired"

I met a few during the Will Carling era

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Phil Lynott an absolute top guy when I did a bit roadying fòr his band Grand Slam at gig he played at The Rockhouse in Derby, but the bastard still owes me a pint

over a year ago

Good stuff, I knew a few of the England rugby lads a while back, but now all since retired

I met a few during the Will Carling era"

That was a cracking era of England rugby. They were prob happier to know you than they were me though

over a year ago

George best what a lad

By *uHorny1Man
over a year ago

Cannock

Played cricket against Ian Botham in a charity game. Clearly didn't want to be there. Wopped a quick 20 odd before skying one deliberately. Went back and sat in his car through tea. Fielded on the boundary by the railway line to avoid being near spectators. Didn't bowl- sprinted to his car and drove away after last wicket taken.

Arse

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I never like to name people that I have met and disliked as everybody is entitled to a bad day at the office. I have met many sporting greats over the years and Gareth Edwards was a lovely man and despite his bad press in the day, Nick Faldo was lovely.

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

"I never like to name people that I have met and disliked as everybody is entitled to a bad day at the office. I have met many sporting greats over the years and Gareth Edwards was a lovely man and despite his bad press in the day, Nick Faldo was lovely. "

Nick Faldo was a big guy and I’m not referring in a sexual way

By *ee04Man
over a year ago

Thurrock

I’ve met a few famous people over the years but the 2 that stick out who I had a drink with were Mick Hucknall of simply red, top bloke had a laugh over a few drinks when I was at collage he had just started making it then.

Craig Charles who I met in a Manchester club back in the 90s again had a beer with him and a bit of a chat. He was in full boys from the dwarf getup after filming at the old bbc on oxford road Manchester. He improved my view of scousers.

Complete ass Lee Sharpe the guy really did think he was billy big bollocks

over a year ago

"He wasn’t my idol but Jason Donovan was rather rude when I met him "

I worked a meet and greet with him and he was rude to everyone

over a year ago

Met jimmy saville when I was younger in the 80s very nice guy

over a year ago

I have met quite a few people through work got to meet my idol Adam ant and he was amazing also met shinedown who every single member of the band was so down to earth as are diversity pretty much all the comedians and music stars I have met have been fantastic with me even Jimmy carr lol

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I met Nicko McBrain the Iron Maiden drummer at the Snooker WC in Sheffield. Top bloke and down to earth.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Met jimmy saville when I was younger in the 80s very nice guy "

over a year ago

Met David Beckham when they'd just had their first child, he was so nice but Posh was a bit standoffish. Also met Paul Scholes who was very quiet, Nicky Butt who was chatty, and Jap Stam who was a really nice guy.

Biggest nob was sky sports presenter Richard Keys, completely ignored you if you weren't a famous face.

over a year ago

Most prob wont know him but Bob Paris celeb body builder. Swooned over him for so long then got chance to meet him in all his glory. He was real sweet, posed for photos with me even had me sit on his knee for some and was just a lovely guy.

over a year ago

"Met David Beckham when they'd just had their first child, he was so nice but Posh was a bit standoffish. Also met Paul Scholes who was very quiet, Nicky Butt who was chatty, and Jap Stam who was a really nice guy.

Biggest nob was sky sports presenter Richard Keys, completely ignored you if you weren't a famous face. "

Keys has always come across as a bit of a prick

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

I met Martin Johnson and Michael Vaughan who turned out to be amongst the most miserable people I have ever met. Vaughan in particular is a poor excuse for a human being.

I’ve also met a Rolling Stone, Ron Wood, who was so down to earth and self-effacing.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Smoked a funny ciggie with Bez at a Festival in Manchester, not a massive Happy Monday’s fan but he was pleasant enough.

Tommy Smith Liverpool fans will know who he is, helped him in a work scenario, total gent.

Robbie Williams, after he left Take That, at first sullen but started talking football with him, Port Vale fan and I’m Bolton our teams had played each other, not long after asked if I wanted a drink with him and his Mates in Stoke.

Gary Numan in the 80s he was a bit moody but not rude.

Kate Bush on a Train in the 80s, having a go at her manager or partner, not sure, but I was in uniform going back to barracks and she immediately turned nice to me, when I complimented her music.

A few others

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

All actors and depends on their popularity at the time, I guess Tom Cruise and Brad Pit are most popular "

Brad normally goes out of his way to talk and get to know and involved with you, whilst Tom typically withdraws and distances himself, though not always.

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Nobody famous has ever met me before, but I'd like to think that I'm a fairly decent, down to earth kind of guy.

Post new Message to Thread