Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Greece

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

who is thinking of or has already booked a holiday to greece this summer .My wife and i have been every year for five years done the islands, and doing corfu this year ,well at least i hope ,as long as we get there dont care if they strike and i dont get back too soon

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Going in a month. All the exxperts are saying there won't be any problems, mainly because the Greeks rely on tourism, even more so now!

Just make sure you take Travellers Cheques or cash. Apparently the ATMs might be a bit of a problem.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I cant work out whether the current crisis will make it more expensive or cheaper...

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

july we are going ,always take cash , supose it might take quite a few months to drift back to the dracma , you are right they rely heavly on tourist trade so they wont shoot themselfs in the foot,well i hope they wont,my travel agent tomsons are relaxed about it .we are off too a little place called paliokstritsia, been before ,so hears hoping

By *ikerbob1957Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I cant work out whether the current crisis will make it more expensive or cheaper..."

Should be cheaper as the pound/euro is much better at about 1.24

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I cant work out whether the current crisis will make it more expensive or cheaper...

Should be cheaper as the pound/euro is much better at about 1.24"

I'm a bit of a Europhile to be honest but I'm glad we didn't join the Euro. Not looking good for them at the mo.

By *roovytwoCouple
over a year ago

burnley

[Removed by poster at 18/05/12 17:31:29]

By *roovytwoCouple
over a year ago

burnley

"I cant work out whether the current crisis will make it more expensive or cheaper...

Should be cheaper as the pound/euro is much better at about 1.24

I'm a bit of a Europhile to be honest but I'm glad we didn't join the Euro. Not looking good for them at the mo."

Yes should be cheaper...as long as prices havnt risen!!

Take low denomination notes since if things go "pear shaped" then the euro will still be the currency but when you get change back it may well be stamped with a yellow triangle.I have been told that this will be worth less than an identical euro note without the stamp on.Dont know how that would work in practice(2 prices for everything?).So if you use low denomination notes to pay for things(5/10/20 euro notes)then your less likely to get any notes back than if you were paying with a 50 euro note.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"it may well be stamped with a yellow triangle.I have been told that this will be worth less than an identical euro note without the stamp on.Dont know how that would work in practice(2 prices for everything?).So if you use low denomination notes to pay for things(5/10/20 euro notes)then your less likely to get any notes back than if you were paying with a 50 euro note.

"

According to the expert on Radio 2 this is supposed to be unlikely, as Euros are interchangeable across Europe and you're just as likely to get a Spanish, German, or Irish one as a Greek one. However he did recommend low value denominations. Good time to get rid of all the loose change I've accumulated over the years too.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The Greek islands are lovely but admittedly Corfu is my least fave. I do like Crete

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

I've done Rhodes twice, Crete once, and on my second visit to Zante next month. I adore Greece and the Greeks. So relaxing and laid back.

By *roovytwoCouple
over a year ago

burnley

Been to most of the Greek islands over the years,large ones,small ones,difficult to get to ones.Its the variety of them thats the amazing thing both with the people (natives and holiday makers) and landscapes.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Just got back from one of the islands.

Prices have not changed in restaurants and bars, but prices of some staple foods have risen. In most shops cash is king, and no-one wants to be caught with euros in their bank account if the government converts back to the drachma over a weekend.

On my last night had a chat with aGreek friend, and joked that I was taking some euros home and would change them as I'd need drachmas next time... His reply was , roughly speaking, the drachma will never be worth shit - we'll always want Euros...'

He summed up the plight of the Greek economy perfectly. If they don't leave the Euro the Germans will fuck them for the benefit of German industry, and if they do leave the Euro they'll end up with a dual speed economy in which the official currency will be worthless and everyone will work in hard currencies...

Increasingly it';s becoming obvious that, in the Eurozone, the problem is Germany, not the rest...

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"Increasingly it';s becoming obvious that, in the Eurozone, the problem is Germany, not the rest..."

Unfortunately, if the Euro collapses, Germany will still be the problem as the deutschemark was always too strong for the rest of Europe. Such a shame.

Post new Message to Thread