Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Blocking telephone calls

Jump to newest

By *G Lana OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Well that's another night of disturbed sleep due to a particular market research company thinking phoning people at 3am is a good idea.

I have spoken to my ever so helpful landline provider who told me they can't, or won't, block the number. I am now looking for other ways to do this, I know some dect phones can but it is often not mentioned until deep into the manuals so if anyone has a cheep one which does I would love to know some details of make and model.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

3 oclock?

Register with TPS, you don't get any calls then.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

sure it wasnt a prank call, i wouldnt of thought any companies would actually pay to do outbound marketing calls at that time, pointless really as you wont get no businessess

over a year ago

Maybe if able to just turn phone off at night, I don't but then I can sleep thro anything me.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

do what i do ask them to hold a sec till you answer door then go back to sleep

over a year ago

you not tried just unplugging your phone before you go to bed?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

The reason I just said tPS is because the link isn't allowed on the forums.

Please check what links are allowed before posting.

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/14562

By *G Lana OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

I do get occasional important calls at night so unfortunately still need the phone audible. The number traces back to an international market research company who make a nuisance of themselves in the daytime but I suspect something went wrong at their overseas call center to be calling UK numbers at that time. I can't imagine getting any sensible information from people then.

I have tried leaving them on hold in the daytime but it doesn't stop them ringing again.

The reason I was asking about dect phones is that I am planning on getting one anyway so if I can get an easy method of solving this type of problem as well it would be a big bonus.

over a year ago

"Well that's another night of disturbed sleep due to a particular market research company thinking phoning people at 3am is a good idea.

I have spoken to my ever so helpful landline provider who told me they can't, or won't, block the number. I am now looking for other ways to do this, I know some dect phones can but it is often not mentioned until deep into the manuals so if anyone has a cheep one which does I would love to know some details of make and model."

Its highly unlikely to be a marketing call as the limit for unsolicited calls is 8pm and besides waking people in the middle of the night isn't going to make anyone buy anything.

Best option is to get withheld numbers rejected and if you have the phone number contact the police and report it as malicious calls.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I keep getting calls and texts from David Cameron offering me parenting advice

By *phuxMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Have a look at the panasonic DECT phones, some models offer call by caller id, withheld etc

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

The feature for call barring on the panasonic is for recognised numbers.

BT offer a service for blocking witheld numbers but there is a charge of £4.30 per month

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"3 oclock?

Register with TPS, you don't get any calls then."

If they are calling at that time I'm guessing they are an overseas company who do not fall within the rules of the DMA or TPS though

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"3 oclock?

Register with TPS, you don't get any calls then.

If they are calling at that time I'm guessing they are an overseas company who do not fall within the rules of the DMA or TPS though "

Or not a firm at all? Malicious calls spring to mind.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

BT customers can get free caller display service, showing the calling number, or lack of it, allowing some choice before answering the call - this is available via their Privacy at Home service.

This doesn't stop any unwanted calls waking you, but at least gives you more information, and may be of some benefit, if you're currently paying for Caller Display - a few quid a month - or would like, but don't want to pay for it. You'd still need a phone that's caller display compatibility, but most Dect phones will have this, so at least it could improve on your overall phone service experience.

over a year ago

Tps only restrict sales calls, not market research anyway.

over a year ago

Change landline provider...

One of the biggest do block given numbers...;-)

over a year ago

We have panasonic dect handsets and as well as having caller Id you can add numbers into a block list then they can't get through.

Steve.

over a year ago

If was a mobile I would say get a app. I had same problems with my land line and my provider said they had no control over calls made outside the UK even though I register with the campanw that ment to block calls. I. Was lucky that most who want me just called my mobile and the couple that won't know I have my landline on permanent silent.

By *elsh_lass74Woman
over a year ago

South Wales

I have a number to ring, that when you follow the instructions, then wait a week or so, blocks 95% of unwanted phone calls on a land line.

I'm not sure if I can post it here. But if anyone wants it, message me.

PS It's free too

over a year ago

"The feature for call barring on the panasonic is for recognised numbers.

BT offer a service for blocking witheld numbers but there is a charge of £4.30 per month"

Hence why the telephone companies won't block numbers on request.

over a year ago

If you sign up with any of the Telephone Preference Services, or even BT for that matter, they can only block call centres in this country, or with legitimate organisations who use centres overseas. The problem is that it is never clear who the call centres are working for. There are layers of people involved between those who make the calls and those who hope to benefit from them, although most eventually lead to loan consolidation brokers and ambulance-chasing lawyers.

Full article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/nov/06/1

Post new Message to Thread