Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

TV then and now

Jump to newest

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

watched an interesting programme on BBC4 this evening about TV Centre in White City , which brought back memories of shows from days gone by and thought that TV then kept one more captivated than the drivel pumped out across numerous digital and satellite channels ...

agree or do you prefer the wider choice of channels ... even if this has meant reduced budgets as more programming has to me made to fill so many channels compared to the 3, then 4 terrestrial channels?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Agreed, there is so much crap on telly these days. I hardly even bother on a Sunday (that is my music day) unless the GP or a good footie match is on.

You have to pay a licence fee to watch numerous & annoying repeats of things you have avoided in the first place!!!

Have a Virgin TiVo box (other types are available) so just record what I want & can skip through all the wonderfully enticing adverts for shit that I will never buy.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Cant really comment on TV back "then" but one of my biggest complaints now is the lack of high quality sunday night programming. In the USA Sunday night is when all the biggest shows are on TV, but in the UK this isn't the case. Surely the one night of the week when people don't have much to do/aren't tired is ideal for the best quality programmes.

over a year ago

miss the white dot.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I can remember the good old days of three channels only

No VCR and there didn't seem to be a shortage of good quality comedy and drama programmes.

Perhaps as has been mentioned money has to be spread around too thinly, hence the total dross of reality shows

By *oppolocosTV/TS
over a year ago

inverurie

I remember back before we had all these hundreds of channels J P O'Rourke being interviewed and opining that once we got all the channels we would be like American TV. It would be mostly crap and that there was only so much good stuff to go round, it would just be spread out more and difficult to find. Got rid of sky years ago as I couldn't stand the idea of giving the Murdoch's my money. Currently have BT Vision and watch less and less TV as time goes by.

over a year ago

"I remember back before we had all these hundreds of channels J P O'Rourke being interviewed and opining that once we got all the channels we would be like American TV. It would be mostly crap and that there was only so much good stuff to go round, it would just be spread out more and difficult to find. Got rid of sky years ago as I couldn't stand the idea of giving the Murdoch's my money. Currently have BT Vision and watch less and less TV as time goes by."

is that yer eyesight failing or cos ya keeps falling asleep?

love the frilly nick pic. x

over a year ago

back then, programs started bang on time, less adverts etc. A film on sky is half an hr longer than it should be coz of adverts. I have free-sat, i aint payin a fortune for packages. Tot up your package and tv licence. Shockin outlay per anum.

By *ove2-shareCouple
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

tv is definately shite now, they stick to the same old safe formulas of reality tv, panel games shows, talent comps and naff films straight of the hollywood production line, and how many awards ceremonys can there be,

and the award for the best awards ceremony goes to......

By *ybMan
over a year ago

County Durham

"tv is definately shite now, they stick to the same old safe formulas of reality tv, panel games shows, talent comps and naff films straight of the hollywood production line, and how many awards ceremonys can there be,

and the award for the best awards ceremony goes to......"

Have to agree it's all about phone in and vote make the programme money instead of them using their own to create something worthy. Too much primetime crap.

Dads Army,Fawlty Towers and the like are still funny and timeless.

Mx

Post new Message to Thread