Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Easter

Jump to newest

By *naswingdress OP   Woman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

What does it mean to you? What are your beliefs, rituals, traditions?

Everyone is allowed to believe as they choose.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nvisible_beardMan
over a year ago

near newbridge, wales

Eat chocolate.... that is all

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"What does it mean to you? What are your beliefs, rituals, traditions?

Everyone is allowed to believe as they choose."

It means nothing to me these days except a long weekend.

It used to mean my mum's roast lamb

L

By *nvisible_beardMan
over a year ago

near newbridge, wales

Ohh sorry how about for you?

over a year ago

Spring, new hope, new beginnings ... and chocolate (too much)!

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Never meant anything except as a kid on school holiday with a new colouring book and pencils or reading book (I didn’t eat chocolate) and hot cross buns.

As an adult extra long weekend and hoping the weather would be nice. Only consistent, we always have a full roast beef dinner

over a year ago

It means Easter eggs!

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When I was young it meant a new church dress. Some of the spring imagery didn't always make sense to me. A deeply meaningful celebration of the suffering and sacrifice that comes from the strongest of love. Yes we had chocolate.

A lower key more experimental family gathering than Christmas, trying things out.

The spring imagery makes much more sense to me as an adult.

My grandmother died of cancer at Easter 25 years ago. Fuck cancer.

over a year ago

As an Atheist it means fuck all

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"As an Atheist it means fuck all"

I think the symbolism is powerful and worth pondering, even if it's not personally meaningful. But to each their own.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The wheel turns and the earth "springs" to life again is how I see it. The symbolism of renewed hope and life is repeated in almost all philosophies and religions.

On a personal level as a kid I loved Easter because it meant my dad was at home for 4 days and that was rare. Unless him and my mum weren't getting on then it wasn't so great

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"As an Atheist it means fuck all

I think the symbolism is powerful and worth pondering, even if it's not personally meaningful. But to each their own."

I agree. It will give many people hope too.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The wheel turns and the earth "springs" to life again is how I see it. The symbolism of renewed hope and life is repeated in almost all philosophies and religions.

On a personal level as a kid I loved Easter because it meant my dad was at home for 4 days and that was rare. Unless him and my mum weren't getting on then it wasn't so great "

Oh, more time with Dad, yes

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Not religious anymore so now it means family time

We are usually on holidays down in West Wales at this time of year.

Luckily we are all together as a family.

It also means new beginnings as it's when nature seems to spring to life

What about you? Jo xx

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I’m not religious but last Easter Sunday I went to the closest church to my new house. Just felt like the right thing to do at the time. Then I went for a walk in the beautiful sunshine.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think there can be something comforting in the ritual. I find my mind wandering back to hymns and Christmas carols sometimes.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

It's supposed to be the day Jesus rose !!!! Weirdly it's a different day every year !!! Baloney to it been something to do the earth and suns or moons alignment !!! It's more that it's probably baloney !!!

Grew up thinking it was that !!!! , now it's just a commercial gimmick for chocolate

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It's supposed to be the day Jesus rose !!!! Weirdly it's a different day every year !!! Baloney to it been something to do the earth and suns or moons alignment !!! It's more that it's probably baloney !!!

Grew up thinking it was that !!!! , now it's just a commercial gimmick for chocolate "

Lol. It's tied to Passover, which is based on a calendar unlike the one we use now. Hence it changes.

over a year ago

"As an Atheist it means fuck all

I think the symbolism is powerful and worth pondering, even if it's not personally meaningful. But to each their own."

Nope, it's just another weekend

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

As a child it was Easter eggs, used to have ones with mugs when I was little.

One of my best mates died of ovarian cancer at the age of 36 on good Friday so that's is always on my mind.

But also last few years, means an Easter egg hunt with mine and my sister's kids. And it's so much fun, won't happen this year but next year will be back to normal

over a year ago

Give thanks.

Speak to mum

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I don't really do Christmas or Easter, I'm not in the slightest bit religious and as in the words of Vienna "It means nothing to me'

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

"It's supposed to be the day Jesus rose !!!! Weirdly it's a different day every year !!! Baloney to it been something to do the earth and suns or moons alignment !!! It's more that it's probably baloney !!!

Grew up thinking it was that !!!! , now it's just a commercial gimmick for chocolate

Lol. It's tied to Passover, which is based on a calendar unlike the one we use now. Hence it changes."

but how can he of been resurrected on different days each year the worlds gone mad lol

over a year ago

Easter eggs, a long weekend, Easter hunt, usually a party with family and friends as my daughters birthday often falls around Easter time.

over a year ago

Lol. It's tied to Passover, which is based on a calendar unlike the one we use now. Hence it changes. but how can he of been resurrected on different days each year the worlds gone mad lol "

Tisnt, it is always a Sunday, just depends which Sunday after a certain full moon

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Lol. It's tied to Passover, which is based on a calendar unlike the one we use now. Hence it changes. but how can he of been resurrected on different days each year the worlds gone mad lol "

Because it was counted in a different way that doesn't come out consistently in the way we count.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

Lol. It's tied to Passover, which is based on a calendar unlike the one we use now. Hence it changes. but how can he of been resurrected on different days each year the worlds gone mad lol

Because it was counted in a different way that doesn't come out consistently in the way we count. "

I'll agre to disagree , I'll just eat my Easter eggs tomorrow and praise the lord

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

Lol. It's tied to Passover, which is based on a calendar unlike the one we use now. Hence it changes. but how can he of been resurrected on different days each year the worlds gone mad lol

Tisnt, it is always a Sunday, just depends which Sunday after a certain full moon "

ahh funny how it's always a Sunday lol

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Because it was counted in a different way that doesn't come out consistently in the way we count.

I'll agre to disagree , I'll just eat my Easter eggs tomorrow and praise the lord "

It's a fact

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

To me it's about family holidays, two bank holidays and in between those two days Lamb and Easter Eggs.

No family get together this year.

over a year ago

Its the Easter Bunnies birthday, we tell the kids he rises up once a year from his bed to deliver chocolate to all the good kids.

By *ovespudsMan
over a year ago

Swindon

"

but how can he of been resurrected on different days each year the worlds gone mad lol "

Didn't you know ? He was cloned, one for each religion and day of the week.

over a year ago

Until recently, I had to work the Friday & Monday, so it was just another weekend. Now I'm between jobs, so it's still just another weekend!

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

As a kid growing up in a Baptist household it was full on God Squad time with an element of the more commercial side thrown in courtesy of Easter eggs etc

In my late teens/early 20s it was another couple of nights down the pub.

When kids came along it was egg hunts and the like

Nowadays it's an extra couple of days off and not a great deal more

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Easter doesn't mean anything to me other than I know it's recognised as a religious holiday in this country.

over a year ago

Easter doesn't actually hold much meaning for me, jist another bank holiday weekend. I know that will make me sound bit of a dick given another thread I been posting in.

The fable/story/tale of crucifixion to me, is a man, sacrificing himself for all other humans. Whether you believe he was the son of God or not, it has very beautiful meaning, and take it for that...

Don't be a selfish dick, and try and understand that every sentient beings are born into suffering and anguish, and unfortunately will be uphill struggle that is life long for most. Once you actually realise this (we're all in this together), then makes it easier to show compassion and empathy to others.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Easter doesn't actually hold much meaning for me, jist another bank holiday weekend. I know that will make me sound bit of a dick given another thread I been posting in.

The fable/story/tale of crucifixion to me, is a man, sacrificing himself for all other humans. Whether you believe he was the son of God or not, it has very beautiful meaning, and take it for that...

Don't be a selfish dick, and try and understand that every sentient beings are born into suffering and anguish, and unfortunately will be uphill struggle that is life long for most. Once you actually realise this (we're all in this together), then makes it easier to show compassion and empathy to others. "

I like this a lot. Thank you.

over a year ago

"Easter doesn't actually hold much meaning for me, jist another bank holiday weekend. I know that will make me sound bit of a dick given another thread I been posting in.

Don't be a selfish dick, and try and understand that every sentient beings are born into suffering and anguish, and unfortunately will be uphill struggle that is life long for most. Once you actually realise this (we're all in this together), then makes it easier to show compassion and empathy to others.

I like this a lot. Thank you."

Had to take step back from other thread, as too many people don't actually see bigger meanings a religous text can have. And that's all good, each to their own. Just hard when a lot of people cherry pick bad parts of religion (I know I could be accused of the same in reverse), but i don't ridicule or take the preverbial piss. Do like a meaningful discussion though.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Had to take step back from other thread, as too many people don't actually see bigger meanings a religous text can have. And that's all good, each to their own. Just hard when a lot of people cherry pick bad parts of religion (I know I could be accused of the same in reverse), but i don't ridicule or take the preverbial piss. Do like a meaningful discussion though. "

There's certainly a time and a place for all discussion. I find the history of it interesting.

over a year ago

Easter as a diabetic means I get high readings .

Easter living in France means that only Monday is a bank holiday.

Easter as a father means I buy my kids Easter eggs as they like chocolate.

Easter in lockdown means I’m sitting by the pool listening to my son learning to play the guitar badly.

If you are a god type person then enjoy your beliefs whatever they are and stay frosty and safe.

T

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Had to take step back from other thread, as too many people don't actually see bigger meanings a religous text can have. And that's all good, each to their own. Just hard when a lot of people cherry pick bad parts of religion (I know I could be accused of the same in reverse), but i don't ridicule or take the preverbial piss. Do like a meaningful discussion though. "

Religion as an organised entity is, for me anyway, full of contradiction and hypocrisy - religious teachings and stories however are valuable life guidance in the same way as fables and the like are, but I give them no greater credence than something Aesop or Kipling might have written

over a year ago

Had to take step back from other thread, as too many people don't actually see bigger meanings a religous text can have. And that's all good, each to their own. Just hard when a lot of people cherry pick bad parts of religion (I know I could be accused of the same in reverse), but i don't ridicule or take the preverbial piss. Do like a meaningful discussion though.

Religion as an organised entity is, for me anyway, full of contradiction and hypocrisy - religious teachings and stories however are valuable life guidance in the same way as fables and the like are, but I give them no greater credence than something Aesop or Kipling might have written"

Human civilisation is full of contradiction and hypocrisy.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Religion as an organised entity is, for me anyway, full of contradiction and hypocrisy - religious teachings and stories however are valuable life guidance in the same way as fables and the like are, but I give them no greater credence than something Aesop or Kipling might have written

Human civilisation is full of contradiction and hypocrisy. "

That it is but then given religion is a human construct (for me anyway) the two go hand in hand

over a year ago

Human civilisation is full of contradiction and hypocrisy.

That it is but then given religion is a human construct (for me anyway) the two go hand in hand "

Aside biological certainty, what isn't a human construct these days? Even the view that religion is an human construct is a human construct abd vice versa

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"What does it mean to you? What are your beliefs, rituals, traditions?

Everyone is allowed to believe as they choose."

Great thread

For me Easter as a child was about time off school playing in the woods and fields and the day well chocolate eggs of course ,would it be shitty wax chocolate or Cadbury or famous names . Since I could drive it has always meant going to the sea or the mountains to play away from the crowds

So this year is going to be mountain biking and tree climbing

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Easter chocolates

Post new Message to Thread