Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

hotmail scam

Jump to newest

By *uitar_antihero OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Hey.

There was a thread on here the other day about people getting an email from hotmail saying their account had been suspended. There was some uncertainty as to the legitimacy of this, I too was not 100% sure it was fake. However, today I received an IDENTICAL looking email from "Halifax" saying my online account had been suspended and I needed to follow the link to gain access to it.

Thing is, I don't have a Halifax account. So just to give peace of mind, the hotmail one IS a scam, DON'T click the link even though the link looks legit.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *am sampsonMan
over a year ago

cwmbran

"Hey.

There was a thread on here the other day about people getting an email from hotmail saying their account had been suspended. There was some uncertainty as to the legitimacy of this, I too was not 100% sure it was fake. However, today I received an IDENTICAL looking email from "Halifax" saying my online account had been suspended and I needed to follow the link to gain access to it.

Thing is, I don't have a Halifax account. So just to give peace of mind, the hotmail one IS a scam, DON'T click the link even though the link looks legit."

I regularly get the Halifax one - refer specifically to online banking but I dont have online banking with them either

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

these kinda emails are common as fcuk. get them for paypal, vodafone, halifax, natwest you name it

all shite usually you`ll find them in ur junk mail aswell

the only one that almost got me was one from paypal that made it into my inbox and said someone had just authorized £40 for some phone credit from my account

i logged into PP (not from the link in the email) and none of the activity was logged so knew it was bullshit

if ur ever in-doubt just log in from google or phone ur bank direct to inquire about it

over a year ago

It's common knowledge now that bonafide banks will not send emails with a link asking you to verify your information etc. They know this scam exists and a lot of effort has been put into educating people and teaching them that banks will not send out this sort of email request.

As for hotmail, if you feel your account has been compromised, log into it in the normal way you check your emails (not through a link contained in a bogus email - but you'll already be logged in to your account if you're reading such an email) - and change your password. You should change your hotmail password every three months anyway as spyware programmes can capture keystrokes entered into password fields and then they've got your p/word (which you probably use in lots of places).

Download SuperAntiSpyware and clean your system of any Trojans you may be unaware of.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"these kinda emails are common as fcuk. get them for paypal, vodafone, halifax, natwest you name it

all shite usually you`ll find them in ur junk mail aswell

the only one that almost got me was one from paypal that made it into my inbox and said someone had just authorized £40 for some phone credit from my account

i logged into PP (not from the link in the email) and none of the activity was logged so knew it was bullshit

if ur ever in-doubt just log in from google or phone ur bank direct to inquire about it "

Ive seen this on threads before about logging in to sites from google - why does it make a difference?

Forgive my ignorance

over a year ago

because logging in through google will be a legit path. the links in the emails are directing you to a spoofed page so it looks legit but isnt.

you`d be passing on your details to the page the frauds set up basically

you can check a webpages authenticity through your browser for added peace of mind

By *abloBackMan
over a year ago

London

I have the Halifax one, my suspicions were aroused by "dear _abloback"

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"because logging in through google will be a legit path. the links in the emails are directing you to a spoofed page so it looks legit but isnt.

you`d be passing on your details to the page the frauds set up basically

you can check a webpages authenticity through your browser for added peace of mind "

Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Post new Message to Thread