Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Plumbers advise needed

Jump to newest

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I have a new boiler from Baxi, obviously faulty from day one, as it kept dropping pressures, but trying to get the company to take it seriously has been a nightmare, now I have the problem that it is over pressurising and I am having to bleed my radiators in order to reduce, what else can I do? As I know I wont get a home call just mow!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

are you turning the taps back off after pressurising?

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"are you turning the taps back off after pressurising?"

I've only the one tap, and I am scared to use it as it is extremely slack from topping it up as is it.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Can you see a bypass top-up?

Normally 2 valves on a pipe from the inlet to the out let.

over a year ago

Maybe that’s the reason it’s over pressurising. Can you see any water leaks. Check your radiator valves.

over a year ago

I’m not a plumber so may be wrong, but I’ve had new systems installed an they’ve taken a while to stabilise, like a couple of weeks of keep needing re-pressurising and faffing about.

Have you checked for leaks?

My advice would be call them out n just have to be patient, at least it’s not freezing weather.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

over a year ago

For the part on needing pressurising, there could be a small leak somewhere, that’ll cause it to need topping up every few days.

For the past on over pressurising, that could be the filling loop passing, or the expansion vessel would be another likely culprit........if you have a bike tyre pump you should be able to easily access a value at the top of the expansion vessel and pump it back up, That may solve it.

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I have found a leaking radiator that I didn't know about so I have turned it to off, but what is causing my boiler to over pressurize?

over a year ago

Also did you ever notice the pipe outside from the pressure relief valve had water around it, that could be faulty and passing causing a pressure loss.

You can also use this value to blow off pressure manually rather than bleeding radiators. Usually easily accessible under the boiler with a small red knob you can pull and turn.

over a year ago

Filling loop. Baxi have a white key under the boiler I believe? You sure it’s fully off?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/04/20 23:42:33]

over a year ago

If its a new baxi 200, 400, 600 or 800 series there is a green or blue lever under the boiler to pressurise it, it may have a bit of crap on the plunger causing it not to seal properly. With regards to pressure drop that can only be a leak somewhere. Your better off getting the installer back out, if they refuse threaten them with gas safe. I honestly don't know why Baxi have a bad name, all there boilers have been bullet proof for a long time apart from the GA model

over a year ago

" it may have a bit of crap on the plunger causing it not to seal properly."

This happened to my boiler. Except it was blocked up and wouldn’t allow much more than a trickle through the filling loop.

On a new install you’d think it’d be powerflushed with an in-line magnet first, isn’t that part of the manufactures requirements for warranty?

over a year ago

" it may have a bit of crap on the plunger causing it not to seal properly.

This happened to my boiler. Except it was blocked up and wouldn’t allow much more than a trickle through the filling loop.

On a new install you’d think it’d be powerflushed with an in-line magnet first, isn’t that part of the manufactures requirements for warranty? "

New Baxi's don't have a filling loop its more of an inline PRV with none return. It won't be the boiler it'll be the install. If their is a problem with sludge a fault code would come up but as the initial problem was the pressure dropping it it more than likely a leak somewhere. The installer has to guarantee his work for at least 12 months so I'd just get in touch with the installer and make them go back.

If it was me I'd be back in a shot because your only as good as your last job and you don't want an unhappy customer but that said 90% of my work is recommendation

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

The pipes were never changed or amended so most of these suggestions are alien to me!

I need to head to bed just now, but will definitely look into in the morning so thank you all! x

But feel free to carry on!

over a year ago

"The pipes were never changed or amended so most of these suggestions are alien to me!

I need to head to bed just now, but will definitely look into in the morning so thank you all! x

But feel free to carry on! "

If you've switched from a conventional boiler to a combi your pipes are now under pressure so can leak. If you had an existing combi, when they flushed the pipes it could of removed scale from around a pre existing leaked that the scale had sealed or it could of just been a shit plumber. In any case you need to contact the installer and get then sort it out. The last thing any decent plumber needs is bad press so should sort it out for you

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Sorry, not a plumber, but can I say it's bloody marvellous that one can get such prompt and thorough advice like this on a swinging site. Absolutely marvellous

over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 10/04/20 00:01:06]

over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 10/04/20 00:00:58]