Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Holiday Home

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Why should Gordon not go to his Cornwall holiday home.. he owns it, paid for it, pays his taxes on it and nobody moaned when he was on holiday employing local contractors and buying local produce..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I agree. Different if it’s going on holiday/camping etc. It’s his home. Different with the Scottish politician as she was going between 2 homes.

over a year ago

"I agree. Different if it’s going on holiday/camping etc. It’s his home. Different with the Scottish politician as she was going between 2 homes. "

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I agree. Different if it’s going on holiday/camping etc. It’s his home. Different with the Scottish politician as she was going between 2 homes.

"

Surely she was doing the same

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The difference was that she was not following her own advice and was sacrificed because of it

over a year ago

"I agree. Different if it’s going on holiday/camping etc. It’s his home. Different with the Scottish politician as she was going between 2 homes.

Surely she was doing the same "

No she wasn’t. I think he’s been there since the beginning of the lockdown guidelines just like the Beckhams in the Cotswolds and the queen at Windsor. She was going from one house to another. That shouldn’t be and isn’t allowed.

over a year ago

"The difference was that she was not following her own advice and was sacrificed because of it"

Totally different situation to Gordon Ramsay. It’s his home and he’s staying at it. He’s not going between 2 homes.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"I agree. Different if it’s going on holiday/camping etc. It’s his home. Different with the Scottish politician as she was going between 2 homes. "

So to be clear beyond hypocrisy

What was the extra risk they are placing on the NHS?

over a year ago

So to be clear beyond hypocrisy

What was the extra risk they are placing on the NHS? "

Just stating the rules. She broke them. He didn’t as far as I’m concerned.

I would imagine the extra risk between swapping to holidays homes is bringing the virus to these communities from places that have more cases like London for example. They are still allowed to go shopping etc so there is your risk I guess.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

It's more the fact that the county he's staying in has the largest population of over 70 year olds in the country and the least amount of ICU beds and only one main hospital. If he came down before lockdown then fair enough he's not breaking the law but many who have come down after certainly are.

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

Cornwall has 1 ICU unit. Devon has 3. If it's seen to be publically acceptable for people to go to their second homes, the population in the South West would skyrocket way beyond anything that could reasonably be managed. In some places as much as 50% of the houses are owned by second homers.

over a year ago

"Cornwall has 1 ICU unit. Devon has 3. If it's seen to be publically acceptable for people to go to their second homes, the population in the South West would skyrocket way beyond anything that could reasonably be managed. In some places as much as 50% of the houses are owned by second homers."

I live in one of these places. Some have filtered in

By *on12xxMan
over a year ago

harlech

Peoples lives stop being selfish this us, serious not a gameeee

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

"Cornwall has 1 ICU unit. Devon has 3. If it's seen to be publically acceptable for people to go to their second homes, the population in the South West would skyrocket way beyond anything that could reasonably be managed. In some places as much as 50% of the houses are owned by second homers.

I live in one of these places. Some have filtered in "

All of my family live there. Parents, step parents, 5 grandparents...they're all over 60 (some are over 90). Much as I'd love to see them all and be there to help out, and be situated right on Dartmoor in this gorgeous weather, the last thing I would do is risk stretching limited resources further.

I hope you and yours are keeping well x

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Some of these areas would not be able to cope if there was an influx of people who could potentially go on to be ill. The provision won’t be there. They shouldn’t be travelling. Presumably they would be visiting local shops etc.

They should just stay home. People are always trying to justify their reasons for breaking the rules. I don’t get it.

over a year ago

I think with some people it's the authority thing.

They just won't do as told.

Selfish

over a year ago

I'm a cornish man but I live in Plymouth now but if I still lived in Cornwall I'd blow but the bridges and cut the ferry chains to stop these emmits coming down.

ONE IN ALL

over a year ago

"Cornwall has 1 ICU unit. Devon has 3. If it's seen to be publically acceptable for people to go to their second homes, the population in the South West would skyrocket way beyond anything that could reasonably be managed. In some places as much as 50% of the houses are owned by second homers.

I live in one of these places. Some have filtered in

All of my family live there. Parents, step parents, 5 grandparents...they're all over 60 (some are over 90). Much as I'd love to see them all and be there to help out, and be situated right on Dartmoor in this gorgeous weather, the last thing I would do is risk stretching limited resources further.

I hope you and yours are keeping well x"

I’m actually not that far from Dartmoor. It’s narrow lanes and streets here, if people start arriving social distancing will become a nightmare . It’s full of elderly too who at the moment can still get some fresh air.

My little family are doing good at the moment, I hope yours are too.

My heart goes out to those in the big cities.xxx

over a year ago

"Some of these areas would not be able to cope if there was an influx of people who could potentially go on to be ill. The provision won’t be there. They shouldn’t be travelling. Presumably they would be visiting local shops etc.

They should just stay home. People are always trying to justify their reasons for breaking the rules. I don’t get it. "

Our local shop couldn’t cope with it

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Why should Gordon not go to his Cornwall holiday home.. he owns it, paid for it, pays his taxes on it and nobody moaned when he was on holiday employing local contractors and buying local produce..

"

All good questions.

Why should he not stay put like everyone else? I’m sure it’s been on television and everything

over a year ago

Gordon traveled to cornwall 3 days ago from what I hear. In that sense he left one perfectly good home and traveled to a more desirable one surely that is breaking the rules and unnecessary non essential travel. He is totally in the wrong for doing this if it was just some random person they would be sent back and fined for breaking the rules. He should be ashamed he is not above the law

over a year ago

"Gordon traveled to cornwall 3 days ago from what I hear. In that sense he left one perfectly good home and traveled to a more desirable one surely that is breaking the rules and unnecessary non essential travel. He is totally in the wrong for doing this if it was just some random person they would be sent back and fined for breaking the rules. He should be ashamed he is not above the law"

If that’s true then yes he is wrong. Like I said I thought he was there from the beginning of the lockdown.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/04/20 09:29:04]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/04/20 09:29:54]

over a year ago

Attempt 3 - I knew what I meant!

Because people travelling to areas where covid-19 is high are potentially asymptomatic and are potentially taking it to an area where the covid-19 numbers are much lower.

over a year ago

Do people not understand this dreadful virus?

Staying in your home and not making any unnecessarily travel is what we all should be doing.

Going to a second home is wrong.

He could have symptoms without even knowing it. It is about containing the spread.

over a year ago

Moving is definitely wrong but I'd imagine a man of his means would use private medical care and not the services of Treliske if some was to become ill.

Not necessarily an excuse for what he did but a small mitigating factor

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

"Moving is definitely wrong but I'd imagine a man of his means would use private medical care and not the services of Treliske if some was to become ill.

Not necessarily an excuse for what he did but a small mitigating factor"

You think there will be any private medical facilities left that have not been turned over to the NHS in these times?

over a year ago

"Moving is definitely wrong but I'd imagine a man of his means would use private medical care and not the services of Treliske if some was to become ill.

You think there will be any private medical facilities left that have not been turned over to the NHS in these times?

"

There are 246 confirmed cases in Cornwall from a population of over half a million or 0.04% so quite probably, yes.

over a year ago

"

And acute care is almost always NHS anway. Which is why Boris was in St Thomas hospital

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The paper is reporting that another cabinet MP drove hundreds of miles to a second home and to visit parents.

Now that is not setting an example

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"Why should Gordon not go to his Cornwall holiday home.. he owns it, paid for it, pays his taxes on it and nobody moaned when he was on holiday employing local contractors and buying local produce..

"

Because Cornwall has a population of 500,000 people normally and we have 19 Critical Care beds in our ONE major hospital in Treliske, by all means come down here where we have relatively low rates of infection why not bump it up and please take one of those beds, wouldn't want the people that actually pay for them through their taxes to benefit.

By the way there is a 5 week waiting list for supermarket home deliveries, so you are going to need to go and get your food and over 25% of our population is 65+ so you know, kill a few of them off while you are at it

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

It's a difficult one and I can see both sides of the argument for anyone who has decamped to a holiday home *before* lockdown came into play - on the one hand it could be argued that anyone going to their second home at the time was and is potentially adding extra strain onto the resources (both NHS and supplies etc) of the area they dashed to, but can also see the "it's my house why shouldn't I?" side of things (although given that some people were dashing to tiny caravans I'm not sure personally I would want to be cooped up in a caravan vs my own home for the duration.

There's absolutely no question in my mind that anyone making the *dash* post lockdown is being incredibly selfish and irresponsible though and *if* Mr Ramsay has done that then he has every right to be vilified.

When it comes to celebrities though, and I understand GR has been guilty of this - bombarding their social media with jolly pics and videos of how they are "coping" in their multi-million pound beach houses is at best smug and at worst an insult to those that are suffering and dieing - perhaps a little decorum on that front might help their case a little.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"It's a difficult one and I can see both sides of the argument for anyone who has decamped to a holiday home *before* lockdown came into play - on the one hand it could be argued that anyone going to their second home at the time was and is potentially adding extra strain onto the resources (both NHS and supplies etc) of the area they dashed to, but can also see the "it's my house why shouldn't I?" side of things (although given that some people were dashing to tiny caravans I'm not sure personally I would want to be cooped up in a caravan vs my own home for the duration.

There's absolutely no question in my mind that anyone making the *dash* post lockdown is being incredibly selfish and irresponsible though and *if* Mr Ramsay has done that then he has every right to be vilified.

When it comes to celebrities though, and I understand GR has been guilty of this - bombarding their social media with jolly pics and videos of how they are "coping" in their multi-million pound beach houses is at best smug and at worst an insult to those that are suffering and dieing - perhaps a little decorum on that front might help their case a little."

I agree with you Gemini in that last aspect especially. This crisis really has shown how out of touch celebrities are. They post these videos of their "discomfort" and how they cope in surroundings few can achieve and aren't bothered with losing their jobs or keeping a roof over their heads.

With the big collapse comes...and come it will, they'll want to remain as anonymous as possible and run from the angry plebs carrying their torches and pitchforks

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well perhaps his London residence was a little too pokey..

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s really simple..... stay where you are no matter whether you have the option of a second home in a different location.

I had the option to decamp to one of my parent’s houses in the countryside (prior to lockdown) as put to me ‘escaping to the countryside just like the blitz’. I would have loved to have been there, family, company, stupidly large garden, no lack of food and the ability to get out and walk up the hills or along the beach, etc.

However to do so would have been totally irresponsible, leaving London not knowing if you are carrying the virus and taking it to an area that currently has no cases

over a year ago

Jesus Tom, you were right about corona!!!

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

I'm curious as to what all these holiday destinations do for care when the summer masses arrive to their 2nd homes?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Jesus Tom, you were right about corona!!! "

Sadly.

over a year ago

"It's a difficult one and I can see both sides of the argument for anyone who has decamped to a holiday home *before* lockdown came into play - on the one hand it could be argued that anyone going to their second home at the time was and is potentially adding extra strain onto the resources (both NHS and supplies etc) of the area they dashed to, but can also see the "it's my house why shouldn't I?" side of things (although given that some people were dashing to tiny caravans I'm not sure personally I would want to be cooped up in a caravan vs my own home for the duration.

When it comes to celebrities though, and I understand GR has been guilty of this - bombarding their social media with jolly pics and videos of how they are "coping" in their multi-million pound beach houses is at best smug and at worst an insult to those that are suffering and dieing - perhaps a little decorum on that front might help their case a little."

over a year ago

"I'm curious as to what all these holiday destinations do for care when the summer masses arrive to their 2nd homes?"

Struggle to cope. Or have extra resources available because the summer rush is obviously easily anticipated

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"I'm curious as to what all these holiday destinations do for care when the summer masses arrive to their 2nd homes?"

They don’t usually arrive with a deadly virus I think

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"I'm curious as to what all these holiday destinations do for care when the summer masses arrive to their 2nd homes?

Struggle to cope. Or have extra resources available because the summer rush is obviously easily anticipated "

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"Jesus Tom, you were right about corona!!! "

Yes he was and so was I. People still made jokes though. Gotta love Fab

By *abrina59TV/TS
over a year ago

submissive land

"I'm curious as to what all these holiday destinations do for care when the summer masses arrive to their 2nd homes?

Struggle to cope. Or have extra resources available because the summer rush is obviously easily anticipated "

Completely different situation NHS capability in any areas will be based I'm sure on main residency occupancy

Therefore if many moved to 2nd homes say in Cornwall then that NHS capability could not cope even if only some of them took I'll and had to be admitted to hospital.

The possibility of tourists taking ill during summer holidays is no where near as high as chances of catching Coronavirus.

Again people with money or power believing they above the law of the land but they not immune to this virus.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Right or wrong the Cornish can be a bit territorial.. English people coming into their kingdom, stealing their jobs, buying all the houses, jamming the roads.. Independence for Cornwall I say..

They can easily survive on exporting, tin, ice cream, fish and Jethro

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

I think this was anticipated and the same resources are probably available.

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

They don’t usually arrive with a deadly virus I think "

I agree, but they do arrive with surf boards, climbing gear etc. and still have accidents and car crashes

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

Struggle to cope. Or have extra resources available because the summer rush is obviously easily anticipated

Completely different situation NHS capability in any areas will be based I'm sure on main residency occupancy

Therefore if many moved to 2nd homes say in Cornwall then that NHS capability could not cope even if only some of them took I'll and had to be admitted to hospital.

The possibility of tourists taking ill during summer holidays is no where near as high as chances of catching Coronavirus.

Again people with money or power believing they above the law of the land but they not immune to this virus."

Resources are based on demand, they know that during weekends and holidays more people arrive so they plan and need to support that

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/04/20 13:29:06]

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

And she did what she advised everyone not too - and duly paid the price for doing so

over a year ago

Here in Cornwall it is a lot to do with the limited hospital availability. Over the last year's housing developments have been increasing as has the population but alas for some reason the services on offer haven't which most certainly includes our main hospital. The population is increasing far beyond the services needed to support it.

over a year ago

And she did what she advised everyone not too - and duly paid the price for doing so "

Rightly so too.

over a year ago

"Right or wrong the Cornish can be a bit territorial.. English people coming into their kingdom, stealing their jobs, buying all the houses, jamming the roads.. Independence for Cornwall I say..

They can easily survive on exporting, tin, ice cream, fish and Jethro"

Yeah but no but lol..I live in Cornwall but am not cornish and yeah some can be territorial..I have the worst surname to have down here

over a year ago

"Here in Cornwall it is a lot to do with the limited hospital availability. Over the last year's housing developments have been increasing as has the population but alas for some reason the services on offer haven't which most certainly includes our main hospital. The population is increasing far beyond the services needed to support it. "

He owns the house though. It’s a home. I disagree with Hollidaymakers going to the south west and I would sincerely hope all the campsite and caravan sites are closed! I’m not hundred percent sure when he went there but if it was before the lockdown and he hasn’t been travelling between 2 homes then i don’t see why he shouldn’t live in his house. If he’s following the guidelines of course.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Right or wrong the Cornish can be a bit territorial.. English people coming into their kingdom, stealing their jobs, buying all the houses, jamming the roads.. Independence for Cornwall I say..

Yeah but no but lol..I live in Cornwall but am not cornish and yeah some can be territorial..I have the worst surname to have down here "

Mr English?

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I agree, but they do arrive with surf boards, climbing gear etc. and still have accidents and car crashes "

Fair point. But I think a virus is more deadly and spreads unlike surf board accidents.

You should be in your home and stay there whether you own it, rent it, hibernate in it, store your grannies knickers in it. Stay home. Don’t drive off anywhere to second homes, tents, flats, the forest. It’s simple.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Two observations:

People are both selfish and stupid.

The British press love a good old witch hunt.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"Two observations:

People are both selfish and stupid.

The British press love a good old witch hunt."

You’re not wrong there but if people were abiding by the rules then there wouldn’t be anything to find out.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I agree, but they do arrive with surf boards, climbing gear etc. and still have accidents and car crashes

Fair point. But I think a virus is more deadly and spreads unlike surf board accidents.

You should be in your home and stay there whether you own it, rent it, hibernate in it, store your grannies knickers in it. Stay home. Don’t drive off anywhere to second homes, tents, flats, the forest. It’s simple. "

Can I walk to the forest?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Yeah but no but lol..I live in Cornwall but am not cornish and yeah some can be territorial..I have the worst surname to have down here "

Not grokel is it..?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Here in Cornwall it is a lot to do with the limited hospital availability. Over the last year's housing developments have been increasing as has the population but alas for some reason the services on offer haven't which most certainly includes our main hospital. The population is increasing far beyond the services needed to support it.

He owns the house though. It’s a home. I disagree with Hollidaymakers going to the south west and I would sincerely hope all the campsite and caravan sites are closed! I’m not hundred percent sure when he went there but if it was before the lockdown and he hasn’t been travelling between 2 homes then i don’t see why he shouldn’t live in his house. If he’s following the guidelines of course. "

If its good enough for her maj..

Post new Message to Thread