Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Broadband help

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

who is the best supplier was with talk talk utter pants and disgusting service so currently using a t mobile dongel until I decide which is best. Plus not interested in sky or virging just the full broadband service can anyone help.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

im with BT.

VERY good connection, but not overawed with the customer service (mind, i get the phone with them too).

think my DL speed is around 13meg, which is much better than virgin.

try bulldog broadband, but most providers want a phoneline anyway

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

[Removed by poster at 16/05/12 13:59:44]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Talk talk arrrrrrgh totally agree,utter shite, only 2 months to go then were off back to 02

over a year ago

I use virgin and haven't had a problem with them at all,

I thought you where able to just get the broadband package without anything else with virgin !!! but may be wrong

good luck anyway

over a year ago

I have virgin and no problem. Been with them years. Only on the basic package and that's 20 meg.

By *am sampsonMan
over a year ago

cwmbran

Was with talktalk they cut me off twice for 3 weeks because of admin mixups - looked around at lots of options based on price speed and restrictions - so now with orange

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

"who is the best supplier was with talk talk utter pants and disgusting service so currently using a t mobile dongel until I decide which is best. Plus not interested in sky or virging just the full broadband service can anyone help."

Try tvhe post office, we got phone and internet £21 month, unlimited download

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am already an o2 customer will give them a go I think.

By *hite SnakeMan
over a year ago

leeds

Virgin are in the process of upgrading their broadband service the 20 Mb rises to 60Mb in June at no extra cost. Virgin are the fastest non business broadband service in the uk.

over a year ago

I'm with sky broadband and talk, no tv subscription, just internet and telephone £22.25 a month and no complaints after a year so far, speeds are pretty good

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

"who is the best supplier was with talk talk utter pants and disgusting service so currently using a t mobile dongel until I decide which is best. Plus not interested in sky or virging just the full broadband service can anyone help."

One thing to remember is this... no matter who you go with, its all the same network of cables in the ground!

(Unless you are in one of the very few areas where a company has put their own cable in the ground).

Promises of faster speeds are bollocks, as the network in your area dictates the speed you get.

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Sw Scotland

"Virgin are in the process of upgrading their broadband service the 20 Mb rises to 60Mb in June at no extra cost. Virgin are the fastest non business broadband service in the uk."

Depending where you live (Do a postcode search) Virgin website provides a timetable or estimate of when they are doubling the speed of the service FOC* Never had any issues in the past

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

"im with BT.

VERY good connection, but not overawed with the customer service (mind, i get the phone with them too).

try bulldog broadband, but most providers want a phoneline anyway"

You can buy either service off a different provider, so long as you have a working phoneline you can get broadband (subject to being within servicable distance of an exchange). They dont have to be off the same company.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

I've used BT at work for 10 years and Orange at home for even longer. I have to say both work extremely well and I personally haven't experienced any downtime (touch wood!)

Some pretty good deals with BT too as per this link

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

if you go on to the webuser forum,it should have a test section there from all parts of england and tells which is the best

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

"im with BT.

try bulldog broadband, but most providers want a phoneline anyway"

try speedtest, it gives you uyour ul and dl speed

over a year ago

Tesco are good and reasonably cheap

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

[Removed by poster at 16/05/12 20:37:54]

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"One thing to remember is this... no matter who you go with, its all the same network of cables in the ground!

(Unless you are in one of the very few areas where a company has put their own cable in the ground).

Promises of faster speeds are bollocks, as the network in your area dictates the speed you get. "

But this relates to most network's local cable from your door, and ignores what those networks have from a few miles away, plus how they manage their network.

Many ISP's use traffic management, meaning that customers can have their speeds reduced/throttled, or selective types of internet useage will be given lower priority than other types - so other customers, incl your next door neighbour - a customer, say, with the same ISP, connected to the same cabinet in the street, using their line for something different, could be getting a faster connection.

There are also varying service types, and speeds of the same line, that are configured in the local provisioning point - again, various ISP's will have different offerings, and not potentially all of them, depending on how extensively BT, for example, has upgraded their network.

Finally, BT is now progressing fibre optic and standard copper cable service delivery, at a local level, to both customer premises or the local cabinets. These have different speeds, with copper used for the majority of UK customers atm right to the home door. If you're lucky, the local cabinet will have fibre optic, which will be faster than copper. At a premium price, there will then be the option of fibre to the home. Virgin already has its own network, as you're likely aware, with different service provisioning and network type.

Overall, don't assume that all networks are the same - they're not, even if some elements are shared. I use a 1 month contract ISP, that I can leave with a month's notice, should I not be happy, even though I've used them for a good while. With many networks peak time use will be the slowest, due to the volume of customers using the service, and any traffic shaping/throttling that many ISP's do to their customers traffic/speed. Look around to find other local people's speeds, to see what's possible, as well as review potential ISP's costs/traffic management policies, plus their reputation for service quality/speed. (Most ISP's have longer minimum contract periods than my ISP's 1 month deal, so consider how long you want to be tied to an unknown co).

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

"I'm with sky broadband and talk, no tv subscription, just internet and telephone £22.25 a month and no complaints after a year so far, speeds are pretty good"

SKY offer on now 6 months free just have to pay for phone line

Post new Message to Thread