Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

england euro squad

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Same old same old guard. Shud have grant holt in. What do fabbers think ??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Would have included Crouch, his record speaks for its self.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A bad time for England to be thinking about joining the euro

over a year ago

well done leaving ferdinand out thou! but we still got no chance!

over a year ago

All this fuss - for summat we will bomb out off.

over a year ago

Ahhhhh.....football!!!!!......this thread is about football.........

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

tell me who isin it then.

give the dog a bone! lol

over a year ago

Bet the Spanish/Dutch/Germans are shitting themselves

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple
over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

cant believe glen johnson owa micah richards milner owa adam johnson,downing aint had the best of seasons to ,

By *ourbonKissMan
over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

What's with the inclusion of downing and glen boy Johnson! Smalling and Lennon would have been far better

over a year ago

"What's with the inclusion of downing and glen boy Johnson! Smalling and Lennon would have been far better"
Deffo agree with Lennon

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

"tell me who isin it then.

give the dog a bone! lol"

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders

Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea).

Midfielders

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards

Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur).

Standby list

Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Captain Is Steve Gerrard

over a year ago

I have the same amount of league goals and assists as Downing this season, where's my call up.

Also no Micah Richards!!??

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"What's with the inclusion of downing and glen boy Johnson! Smalling and Lennon would have been far better"

Smalling's injured.

Squad seems fine. England just don't have that many good players.

By *ove2-shareCouple
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

I would have left Terry out, his England performances of late have been woeful, and he still is a cancerous influence in the dressing room (tho les so now that antons brother is out, hope its not for that reason)

By *ourbonKissMan
over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

Also surely we have a centre back that's better than lescott!

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

I have given up thinking about the England team, they dont give shit, why should I?

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

not enough quality english players in premier league,thats the problem!.

trim the foreign imports and bring along our own talent for next world cup.

holt and crouch are scoring goals and should have gone cos' you play strikers when in form,ferdinand is injury prone,slow and past it anyway.

as for downing & carroll wasted spaces!.

over a year ago

Not enough technical players in England to compete with the likes of Spain, Holland and Germany.

With that squad they will struggle to get out of the group stage.

Until the national coaches move away from work horses and move to players that have a greater technical ability they will struggle.

The media will build them up to be world beaters and then jump on them when they fail to live up to expectations.

By *icboyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Will be up here watching with interest...so why no Crouch...think the squad could have him in it...more options...

over a year ago

To compete with the great football nations, England need to start playing the possession based game rather than playing the percentages they normally use.

over a year ago

That boy Renaldo.

over a year ago

Should have left Terry out along with Ferdinand as they are both a disruptive influence.

over a year ago

lescott nearly cost city the premiership, downings had a terrible season and has for andy caroll....oh give me strength....

over a year ago

lennons arny played 22 times this year bad season with hamstrings ect

over a year ago

Ferdinand has been carrying an injury to his back for a couple of years now. He only made 30 starts for United this season and he struggled.

I think it's a disgrace that Terry is even mentioned with regards to playing for one's country as he has captained the national team twice - and been stripped of the captaincy TWICE. What has he got to do to get dropped - shoot someone!

Walcott is too hit and miss, and Gerrard has hardly been inspiring for Liverpool this season. Crouch is a striker for a team that finished just 9 points higher than the relegation zone, which kinda says it all about him not being selected I think.

Apart from that, I think Hodgson has chosen a team of experienced players, proven goalscorers and emerging talent. And arguably the best keeper in the world at the moment.

over a year ago

"lescott nearly cost city the premiership, downings had a terrible season and has for andy caroll....oh give me strength.... "

Over all Lescott had a good season and although he is no oil painting he is the best option available.

over a year ago

"lescott nearly cost city the premiership, downings had a terrible season and has for andy caroll....oh give me strength.... "
. i think you can Blame Dalglish for Carrolls indifferent season whats the point of playing a big lad up front that thrives on crosses, then don't give him the service, and no i'm not saying is worth the money they paid for him, thats down to Dalglish

over a year ago

Simply we dont have the quality coming through the ranks, its down to bad grass roots old coaches doin the same training sessions from when they was playing, too much pressure put on by Parents,Managers etc etc, The Fa have done a study and spent fortunes sending coaches around the world, so hopefully there new idea,s may work. Personally after the last world cup id of dropped all the old school big s, gone with youth and by now they would of had 2yrs playing and learning and a another 2 when the world cup starts, unfortunately its down to Money,the Fa and Sponsors want the big names that sells, untill england changes there views we,ll never win the world cup again.

over a year ago

Don't have a problem with the squad. Some of the players are pretty shit, walcott, but with the timing of taking over, woy doesn't have time to experiment too much.

He has experience of tournament football, think we might do alright. Surely first choice strikers from game 3 will be Rooney and welbeck, so Carroll in over crouch ain't no big, Carroll did well for England before.

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"tell me who isin it then.

give the dog a bone! lol

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders

Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea).

Midfielders

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards

Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur).

Standby list

Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Captain Is Steve Gerrard"

well, with the exception of Richards, i cant see much wrong with it.

decent, balanced squad.

will probably see the 2 arsenal wingers play in the warm up game, to see if they can cut it on the world stage (we know walcott is ok, but O-C needs looking at.

Lescott has had a really good season at the heart of the City defence, so cant understand the argument there, although will probably be cahill and terry in the middle.

hope Hodgeson has learnt from the other managers and DOESNT play lamps and gerrard together, because i sincerely think its either/or. would rather lamps be used to get us out of a hole rather than from the beginning, and this should be spelled out to him to begin with, afterall, making gerro his captain has laid his cards on the table early.

can also see Yuong buzzing around off the shoulder of Carroll for the first few games, as we are without Rooney, i hope anyway, as i feel that realy could work. young has an eye for an opening and is wasted on the wing, imo.

so im actually looking forward to the championships, although honestly believe it will just be used for the manager to bed in.

the next tourney will be what he should be judged on, imo

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"not enough quality english players in premier league,thats the problem!.

trim the foreign imports and bring along our own talent for next world cup.

holt and crouch are scoring goals and should have gone cos' you play strikers when in form,ferdinand is injury prone,slow and past it anyway.

as for downing & carroll wasted spaces!."

how can you say take players in form, yet leave carroll behind?

in the last few weeks he has been 2nd best at liverpool, behind suarez, and he doesnt count

over a year ago

wadnt blame dag for carrols bad season the fella was renound for ganin on the piss ,but was funny wingers playin when carrol wernt then ne wingers when he was playing early in season funny tactics ,welbeck came back from sunderland a better player than his other loan stints but aint prolific defoe good scorer but in and out team all season ,the squad has balance ,just got to wait and see now.

over a year ago

same old players that have failed them in the past, i think France will humiliate them, and they'll be lucky to get out of the group. I've taken France to top the group at 2/1.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

downing....should be called drowning...awful

milner...hmmmmmmmm

would have taken sturridge and carrick

& I am going to the UKRAINE

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"downing....should be called drowning...awful

milner...hmmmmmmmm

would have taken sturridge and carrick

& I am going to the UKRAINE "

carrick, to me, is another mcmanoman.

fantastic at domestic level, but out of depth on the internationl stage, accept against the smaller nations.

admittedly, i wouldnt take milner as he has hardly played this term, and also, he is TOO versatile, if that can be a bad thing.

he has no actual position so cant nail down a place.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

Give it a few years and the England players will all be coming from the championship..then you really will see us struggle!

It will be interesting to see what the stupid old fools at the FA and the T.V pundits say about foreign players and their effect on the 'english' game then...when its too late.

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"Give it a few years and the England players will all be coming from the championship..then you really will see us struggle!

It will be interesting to see what the stupid old fools at the FA and the T.V pundits say about foreign players and their effect on the 'english' game then...when its too late."

you say that, BUT, as has been proven with Norwich, QPR and Swansea staying up this year, the Championship has a very high standard of football being played in it.

singularly THE most competetive league in the world.

could you have chosen the 3 that went up/down at the start of the season? i couldnt. you could have a fair idea who the bottom and top 10 would be, but no idea what order.

By *ev and TrevCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

As a utd fan thought richards should be in. as for downing millner johnson lampard i think its ok. in place of the above would go with carrick richards sturridge crouch

over a year ago

"Same old same old guard. Shud have grant holt in. What do fabbers think ?? "

holt is one of those players who would have been good to throw on when things arent working out, can score at the bad times if you get my meaning, but then who would you have dropped to take him?? carroll?, defo??, walcott?

over a year ago

surprised by so many comments from scotland,,,thought it was their divine right to hate the England football team

over a year ago

Holt should be in, an in-form striker, even Sturridge. Why Defoe? 30 chances to put 1 on target. Walcott is too light-weight. Terry's lack of pace is legendary, & any striker with strength can out-muscle him. Downing? Why not me? The team is average at best, can't see much better to pick though, home in a week.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

right.. where do i start.... i would have taken rio instead of terry....arron Lennon instead of downing.... and would have chosen grant holt instead of both defoe and carroll....

micah richards is baffling as it looks like england are only taking 7 defenders.... i would have taken 8.....

By *RS79Man
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"right.. where do i start.... i would have taken rio instead of terry....arron Lennon instead of downing.... and would have chosen grant holt instead of both defoe and carroll....

micah richards is baffling as it looks like england are only taking 7 defenders.... i would have taken 8....."

Downing is a good player and more importantly a left winger. lennon is not.

By *RS79Man
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

i forgot to say i would have taken Johnson not Downing mind

over a year ago

"right.. where do i start.... i would have taken rio instead of terry....arron Lennon instead of downing.... and would have chosen grant holt instead of both defoe and carroll....

micah richards is baffling as it looks like england are only taking 7 defenders.... i would have taken 8....."

i agrre with _abio on micah richards and give grant holt a chance,,,rio no chance thou! now would anybody like to comment on mr oxlade chamberlain...ps i do his dad mark n uncle nev

over a year ago

"All this fuss - for summat we will bomb out off. "

So negative! That's why England do so s**t: Fans and the media write them off before they've even kicked the ball!

Other countries show much more support. Part of the reason that England do so badly is they don't get the support many of them enjoy at club level so why would they bother?

over a year ago

Id of paid a top class detective to scrutinise lionel messi's family tree,in the hope that he's english in some way,then sent out mind sweep beam's so everyone didnt realise he'd played for Argentina before,oh yeah and pick a keeper just to help him out at the back

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

i here that the F.A. have asked Duran Duran to help with the euro football song to be called "

his name is Rio and he watches from the stand "

over a year ago

"All this fuss - for summat we will bomb out off.

So negative! That's why England do so s**t: Fans and the media write them off before they've even kicked the ball!

Other countries show much more support. Part of the reason that England do so badly is they don't get the support many of them enjoy at club level so why would they bother? "

its only recently that the media have discovered that we ARENT world beaters.....most tournaments the past 20 years we have been built up to bring home the cup

i think people are now being more realistic...if we get out of the group stage then i would accept that was decent

over a year ago

oh and i wouldnt have had terry anywhere near my team. richards would have been in my squad.....but i think entering a major tournament makes it too easy for a new manager to go predominately with the tried and tested

By *ove2-shareCouple
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

"Don't have a problem with the squad. Some of the players are pretty shit, walcott, but with the timing of taking over, woy doesn't have time to experiment too much.

He has experience of tournament football, think we might do alright. Surely first choice strikers from game 3 will be Rooney and welbeck, so Carroll in over crouch ain't no big, Carroll did well for England before. "

Tho Crouch has worked well with far more of the players, has a better strike record, and has a proven partnership with defoe

By *ove2-shareCouple
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

Other countries show much more support. Part of the reason that England do so badly is they don't get the support many of them enjoy at club level so why would they bother?

its only recently that the media have discovered that we ARENT world beaters.....most tournaments the past 20 years we have been built up to bring home the cup

i think people are now being more realistic...if we get out of the group stage then i would accept that was decent

"

I agree people sl off slagged erikson and capello as crap yet thier cord win records were the best two that england has ever had,getting us up higher in the world rankings than we had been for years. Erikson even got us into a comp we were about to get kicked out of, while capello was screwed by Terrys antics. yes they both made mistakes and eventually lost major comps earlier than we would have liked, but we got about as far as i expected and lost to good teams, In reality we are and for as long as i can remember been a top 10 side but are hardly world beaters.

we put too much presure.whilst Denmark and greece far inferior sides were able to win cos they had none (denmark didnt even qualify when they won)

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

defoe wouldnt be in my squad as he is just not prolific enough, but i wouldnt take Holt either, not even played at any level at internationals, so he would be coming in cold.

should have taken davies if anyone.

oxlaide chaimberlain has outgrown the U21's and couldnt be the star for the team, tbh.

i would have taken richards, but would still have taken johnson as i reckon he would make a better winger than defender, imo.

and yes, i would also have left terry out as i really do think his form has been terrible lately.

over a year ago

Forget England. No matter who's in the squad they aren't good enough to win it. If any of you like a little flutter, get your money on russia to win the euros!!!

over a year ago

The only issue I have with the squad is Downing, how he has been selected is beyond me. His form this season has been terrible 0 goals and assists. In my opinion Etherington is a better player as is Matt Jarvis of Wolves. I may be bias being a Wolves fan but he has scored 8 goals and has more than 0 assists and that was playing in a poor side. I think if either of these two had been at bigger clubs they would have been selected, same goes for Grant Holt.

over a year ago

"The only issue I have with the squad is Downing, how he has been selected is beyond me. His form this season has been terrible 0 goals and assists. In my opinion Etherington is a better player as is Matt Jarvis of Wolves. I may be bias being a Wolves fan but he has scored 8 goals and has more than 0 assists and that was playing in a poor side. I think if either of these two had been at bigger clubs they would have been selected, same goes for Grant Holt.

"

matt jarvis u looking thru wolves plated glasses there n as for stoke players Crouch would have been handy, Ethrington well u would have get him out of the bookies, then Pennant,,,plz take his car keys off him

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"Give it a few years and the England players will all be coming from the championship..then you really will see us struggle!

It will be interesting to see what the stupid old fools at the FA and the T.V pundits say about foreign players and their effect on the 'english' game then...when its too late.

you say that, BUT, as has been proven with Norwich, QPR and Swansea staying up this year, the Championship has a very high standard of football being played in it.

singularly THE most competetive league in the world.

could you have chosen the 3 that went up/down at the start of the season? i couldnt. you could have a fair idea who the bottom and top 10 would be, but no idea what order."

I know what your saying there...but do honestly think the best players from Southampton, cardiff, West Ham Etc could possibly compete against Brazil, Spain, etc etc...we wouldnt have a snowballs chance..

over a year ago

"Forget England. No matter who's in the squad they aren't good enough to win it. If any of you like a little flutter, get your money on russia to win the euros!!!"
My money's on the Dutch,,Van persie and Robben will have an amazing tournament

over a year ago

"Forget England. No matter who's in the squad they aren't good enough to win it. If any of you like a little flutter, get your money on russia to win the euros!!!My money's on the Dutch,,Van persie and Robben will have an amazing tournament "

No, that trophy has got Spain written all over it. By a mile.

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Forget England. No matter who's in the squad they aren't good enough to win it. If any of you like a little flutter, get your money on russia to win the euros!!!My money's on the Dutch,,Van persie and Robben will have an amazing tournament

No, that trophy has got Spain written all over it. By a mile. "

think the germans will have something to say about that

over a year ago

"

Who says we can't be world beaters? we have a lot of quality players coming through. Scrap the "golden generation" and start again with the youth like Germany have done. Have we learned nothing from the ass-kicking they gave us in the world cup?! Of course we have to be realistic but we can dare to dream.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Vorsprung Ver Technique - "It's an absolute rout".......

over a year ago

Who says we can't be world beaters?

recent form in the last few major tournaments tells you that we cant...and we arent!

when playing teams outwith the top 10 england can look a team.....when we play against the 'big boys' we get made to look chumps as we cant play possession football

"

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"

Who says we can't be world beaters? we have a lot of quality players coming through. Scrap the "golden generation" and start again with the youth like Germany have done. Have we learned nothing from the ass-kicking they gave us in the world cup?! Of course we have to be realistic but we can dare to dream."

Who says?...well the bookies for a start..

We have re0built the team a few times over the years, but still continue to not be able to cut it. Expect the normal 'we will win it for the fans' crap in the news papers before it starts.

If we had 11 players with the spirit of Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce then we would have a chance, but all the time we have players who frankly couldnt give a toss about wearing the shirt we will continue to fails...

Prediction:- We wont make the semis.

Post new Message to Thread