Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

No intelligent life

Jump to newest

By *ob Carpe Diem OP   Man
over a year ago

Torquay

In the entire visible universe, so we need to take care of ourselves.

Rob

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If I remember right, theres a stat that says there are approx 4 million planets circling stars that we know of that potentially have the right conditions for life to evolve. That's an awful lot of chance that we aren't alone

over a year ago

Torquay

"If I remember right, theres a stat that says there are approx 4 million planets circling stars that we know of that potentially have the right conditions for life to evolve. That's an awful lot of chance that we aren't alone "
probably are but how likely is life and more importantly complex life, not just astronomy numbers

Rob

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I would say that there's a very good chance that there is intelligent life in the visible universe.

It's huge and what we see happened millennia ago, it's not what is happening there now.

I would say it's rather arrogant, to suggest that we are the only "intelligent" life in the visible universe.

over a year ago

"If I remember right, theres a stat that says there are approx 4 million planets circling stars that we know of that potentially have the right conditions for life to evolve. That's an awful lot of chance that we aren't alone probably are but how likely is life and more importantly complex life, not just astronomy numbers

Rob"

Yeah in fairness I think it's probably infinitesimal but you never know. To go back to the point you made though, we really should take care of ourselves

over a year ago

Torquay

"If I remember right, theres a stat that says there are approx 4 million planets circling stars that we know of that potentially have the right conditions for life to evolve. That's an awful lot of chance that we aren't alone probably are but how likely is life and more importantly complex life, not just astronomy numbers

Rob

Yeah in fairness I think it's probably infinitesimal but you never know. To go back to the point you made though, we really should take care of ourselves "

I read a paper published by an Economist of all people, life started on Earth maybe two million years after it was geologically stable, complex life 1.8 billion years later. That ain't evolution, seems to have been a one off event.

Rob

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

There is life everywhere in the universe. Check out the Fermi paradox

over a year ago

Rob

Yeah in fairness I think it's probably infinitesimal but you never know. To go back to the point you made though, we really should take care of ourselves I read a paper published by an Economist of all people, life started on Earth maybe two million years after it was geologically stable, complex life 1.8 billion years later. That ain't evolution, seems to have been a one off event.

Rob"

I just did a bit of googling and that "event" might just coincide with the earth growing and begging to ecrete icy planetesimals which turned to water which is essential for complex life on this planet.

By *ust ClareTV/TS
over a year ago

Settlewick!

There's bugger all down here on the Earth

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

"There's bugger all down here on the Earth "

Legend

over a year ago

Torquay

"There is life everywhere in the universe. Check out the Fermi paradox "

The Fermi paradox is "where are they all" Must correct myself evidence is life started 200 million years after the earth was stable. But still 1.8 billion years before multi cellular life.

If they are out there there would be evidence, wish I could remember the quote but something like after discovering that there was intelligent life in the universe, the next most remarkable discovery would be that there is not

over a year ago

Intelligence is relative.

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

"There is life everywhere in the universe. Check out the Fermi paradox

The Fermi paradox is "where are they all" Must correct myself evidence is life started 200 million years after the earth was stable. But still 1.8 billion years before multi cellular life.

If they are out there there would be evidence, wish I could remember the quote but something like after discovering that there was intelligent life in the universe, the next most remarkable discovery would be that there is not"

I know what it is. They're probably witnessed ww2 and thought leave them alone

over a year ago

There out there or have been out there we haven’t even scratched the surface yet in our search

over a year ago

Torquay

"There out there or have been out there we haven’t even scratched the surface yet in our search"

No, if they were anything like us they would have sent self replicating probes to every corner of the universe, they wouldn't need to much advanced on us to do that.

There is no evidence.

I'm not remotely religious but what if we are alone in the entire universe, makes you think doesn't it.

over a year ago

"In the entire visible universe, so we need to take care of ourselves.

Rob"

Including us if the fora is anything to go by

over a year ago

No matter which "origin" camp you are in I think it's presumptuous to believe we are unique in the entire universe.

over a year ago

Torquay

"No matter which "origin" camp you are in I think it's presumptuous to believe we are unique in the entire universe."

But worth questioning no, the astronomers just number extrapolate, others less so. It's a big universe but life could be extremely rare, complex life more so, intelligent life maybe unique

over a year ago

"There out there or have been out there we haven’t even scratched the surface yet in our search

No, if they were anything like us they would have sent self replicating probes to every corner of the universe, they wouldn't need to much advanced on us to do that.

There is no evidence.

I'm not remotely religious but what if we are alone in the entire universe, makes you think doesn't it."

Why would they be like us and if they have sent little probes out would we spot them? And if the probes turned up a billion years ago they wouldn’t have found any intelligent life would they or if they turn up today it’s gonna take possibly thousands of years for them to report back

over a year ago

Intelligence is dangerous, Ive watched the newer alien films. Some lovely planets with trees and waterfalls and some gentle unintelligent wildlife will do for me.

over a year ago

Torquay

"There out there or have been out there we haven’t even scratched the surface yet in our search

There is no evidence.

I'm not remotely religious but what if we are alone in the entire universe, makes you think doesn't it.

Why would they be like us and if they have sent little probes out would we spot them? And if the probes turned up a billion years ago they wouldn’t have found any intelligent life would they or if they turn up today it’s gonna take possibly thousands of years for them to report back "

Why wouldn't they be like us, and self replicating probes would be quicker than you think, would still take many years I grant you, thing is either intelligent life is not rare and they either self distruct or revert back to a more primative society due to resource issues or they just don't exist.

If they don't exist how special are we?

By *ovestrapMan
over a year ago

London

How intelligent are really? As a people as a planet.

When you see dumb asses out partying during a lockdown?

But it silly to think we are the only ones out here in the univers.

The universe is huge. I mean it's huge. Impossible that we are the only ones in it

Though we had gone past the point of thinking earth was the centre of the universe.

over a year ago

There is no evidence.

Why would they be like us and if they have sent little probes out would we spot them? And if the probes turned up a billion years ago they wouldn’t have found any intelligent life would they or if they turn up today it’s gonna take possibly thousands of years for them to report back

Why wouldn't they be like us, and self replicating probes would be quicker than you think, would still take many years I grant you, thing is either intelligent life is not rare and they either self distruct or revert back to a more primative society due to resource issues or they just don't exist.

If they don't exist how special are we?"

We would be a miracle

over a year ago

Torquay

There is no evidence.

We would be a miracle "

Kind of my point in a way, if we discovered intelligent life we would be in awe, there's likely no way to prove there isn't but if it was....Be about the same right, would it make you reassess, as I said I'm not religious but it gave me cause to think.

Rob

over a year ago

I often wonder if there is any intelligent life on this planet. Never mind the others

By *hebritukCouple
over a year ago

London

Judging what mankind has done to its self and the planet? Not sure that we are that intelligent!

over a year ago

If there is intelligent life in the universe it knows not to come here..

over a year ago

Torquay

"How intelligent are really? As a people as a planet.

When you see dumb asses out partying during a lockdown?

But it silly to think we are the only ones out here in the univers.

The universe is huge. I mean it's huge. Impossible that we are the only ones in it

Though we had gone past the point of thinking earth was the centre of the universe.

"

Number extrapolation, Universe is huge so we can't be alone? So we know a lot about DNA, any scientists know how life began yet, or how complex cells evolved?

over a year ago

There is no evidence.

We would be a miracle

Kind of my point in a way, if we discovered intelligent life we would be in awe, there's likely no way to prove there isn't but if it was....Be about the same right, would it make you reassess, as I said I'm not religious but it gave me cause to think.

Rob"

We could in fact be the starting point for intelligent life in the universe if we last that long and spread across the cosmos and creating sub species of ourselves evolving into whatever other environments dictate

over a year ago

I really doubt we live on the only planet with intelligent life living on it.

However you define intelligent life?

We are like a spec of dust suspended in a vast cosmic arena and we are probably to far away from any other populated planets for us to ever know.

I once read that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. Just imagine how planets are around them!

over a year ago

Torquay

"I really doubt we live on the only planet with intelligent life living on it.

We are like a spec of dust suspended in a vast cosmic arena and we are probably to far away from any other populated planets for us to ever know.

I once read that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. Just imagine how planets are around them!

"

1.8 billion years between single cell life and multicellular life on Earth, that's what about an eighth of the entire time the universe has existed, why are you so sure?

over a year ago

"I really doubt we live on the only planet with intelligent life living on it.

1.8 billion years between single cell life and multicellular life on Earth, that's what about an eighth of the entire time the universe has existed, why are you so sure?"

If it's happened here then why not somewhere else.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"I would say that there's a very good chance that there is intelligent life in the visible universe.

It's huge and what we see happened millennia ago, it's not what is happening there now.

I would say it's rather arrogant, to suggest that we are the only "intelligent" life in the visible universe. "

I'd agree

We also need to remember we can only see the past

Thus we even with a perfect view could have zero idea what or may not now lie on any planet 2 billion light years away or further

Obviously we dont and cant know on closer still however given we could have seen a form.of life on earth (theoretic perfect vision detection) 1.8 billion that's why I pick 2 billion

The maths actually suggests life to equal humans is nigh on inevitable

over a year ago

Torquay

There is no evidence.

We would be a miracle

Rob

We could in fact be the starting point for intelligent life in the universe if we last that long and spread across the cosmos and creating sub species of ourselves evolving into whatever other environments dictate "

We would indeed, I think Asimov often wrote about that, just really throwing the thought out there, it's a big universe but maybe life is very rare, possibly even unique.

Would it change anything if we knew that.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

There is no evidence.

We would be a miracle

Rob

We could in fact be the starting point for intelligent life in the universe if we last that long and spread across the cosmos and creating sub species of ourselves evolving into whatever other environments dictate

We would indeed, I think Asimov often wrote about that, just really throwing the thought out there, it's a big universe but maybe life is very rare, possibly even unique.

Would it change anything if we knew that."

For me it would change nothing

over a year ago

There is no evidence.

We would be a miracle

Rob

Would it change anything if we knew that.

For me it would change nothing

"

I agree

over a year ago

The Drake equation is interesting on this subject.

Im looking forward to the launch of the James Web telescope. Hopefully it will all go to plan.

over a year ago

Torquay

Drake equation has largely been discredited

over a year ago

"Drake equation has largely been discredited"

Well not exactly discredited it was only constructed to promote debate on the said topic

over a year ago

Torquay

Again number extrapolation, so many galaxies,so many stars, so many planets but no accurate numbers on life forming or complex life, just guesswork

over a year ago

"Again number extrapolation, so many galaxies,so many stars, so many planets but no accurate numbers on life forming or complex life, just guesswork"

Yep it’s all we have

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

[Removed by poster at 06/04/20 22:48:46]

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Our definition of life is somewhat limited and makes huge assumptions.

over a year ago

Numbers dictate that, probability wise, it is more likely that there is further intelligent life out there. Our solar system is just one of around 2.500 in our galaxy alone. There are estimated to be about one hundred billion other galaxies in the universe. That's a lot of space for nothing else to exist in.

over a year ago

Torquay

Again you are missing the point, number extrapolation, you have no numbers on how likely life is or multicellular life, if the odds of that are less it doesn't matter how big the universe is

over a year ago

"Again you are missing the point, number extrapolation, you have no numbers on how likely life is or multicellular life, if the odds of that are less it doesn't matter how big the universe is"

Mate what’s your point?

over a year ago

Torquay

"Again you are missing the point, number extrapolation, you have no numbers on how likely life is or multicellular life, if the odds of that are less it doesn't matter how big the universe is

Mate what’s your point?"

It's not a numbers game, 1.8. Billion years before even a sponge existed another 500 million years before the first time upright ape, even Brian Cox is questioning the assumptions now.

Point is maybe we are alone

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/04/20 23:30:17]

By *musedforlifeMan
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

There are planets out there that must be quite similar to our Earth, surely we could then say that they could support, and probably do have, intelligent life forms.

over a year ago

"Again you are missing the point, number extrapolation, you have no numbers on how likely life is or multicellular life, if the odds of that are less it doesn't matter how big the universe is

Mate what’s your point?

It's not a numbers game, 1.8. Billion years before even a sponge existed another 500 million years before the first time upright ape, even Brian Cox is questioning the assumptions now.

Point is maybe we are alone"

It's happend here on earth. Why can't it happen somewhere else.

over a year ago

To get an idea of how big space is or how many galaxies there are look up the Hubble ultra deep field image.

About 10,000 galaxies in area of night sky 1mm square.

I believe there is life out there, level of intelligence we may never know given the vast distances.

Voyage 1 launched in 1977 still hasn't travelled 1 light day.

over a year ago

"To get an idea of how big space is or how many galaxies there are look up the Hubble ultra deep field image.

About 10,000 galaxies in area of night sky 1mm square.

I believe there is life out there, level of intelligence we may never know given the vast distances.

Voyage 1 launched in 1977 still hasn't travelled 1 light day."

Exactly

over a year ago

It's kinda sad but I once chatted with an old gentleman who use to work for NASA and he said that the voyager space craft will still be traveling through space longer after earth exists.

He also told me that when they landed on the moon it rang like a bell.

over a year ago

"I would say that there's a very good chance that there is intelligent life in the visible universe.

I would say it's rather arrogant, to suggest that we are the only "intelligent" life in the visible universe. "

Yup

over a year ago

"Intelligence is dangerous, Ive watched the newer alien films. Some lovely planets with trees and waterfalls and some gentle unintelligent wildlife will do for me. "

Can I come please...intelligence often leads to a desire for more and that leads to more until we have what we have now..best part of my life..living in my woods with nature.

Post new Message to Thread