Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Making a wrong decision?

Jump to newest

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

So this is a dilemma and a possible guilty conscience after the event sort of mindset at the moment.

I have been staying at home (I work from home anyway) for the last 3 weeks and I’ve only been out once to get grocery shopping for myself and for my parents (high risk). I’ve been ordering as much as possible online but the groceries online has just been a waste of time trying.

Anyways, this morning I had to go out to the bank to sort stuff for me and my mum and dad. I couldn’t do it online.

So, I’m keeping my distance as I should and there’s probably about 30ish people waiting in the area for a couple of the banks to open up.

I’m on the phone on a work call. As I turn round I see an old fella stumble against the wall of the bank and clearly he has a problem. All the people between me and this old chap just stood there watching him. Not one person spoke to him.

I ended my call and shouted over to him to ask if he was ok and he said no. He was all giddy. I went closer as he was about to drop on the floor. I asked if he wanted an ambulance and he said no as he was waiting for a heart operation and they can’t admit him at the moment. He said he just needed to get to the bus shelter (about 200 yards away) where he could rest and wait for his bus to get home.

I told him to steady himself on my arm and I walked him up to his bus shelter so he was safe. I old him he shouldn’t be out and he said he had no one to help. His children were in Coventry and the British heart foundation had said they couldn’t help at the moment and he was awaiting to hear back from the councils community help scheme.

I made sure he was ok and he was very thankful for my help.

I got back to the queue for the bank (I’ve now lost my place) and 3 elderly people in front of me were talking loudly making sure I could hear saying that I shouldn’t have got that close to the man.

So I spoke up and explained that if that was my mum or dad and they needed help, I would like to think they would be helped in a time of need by someone if needed rather than stand and stare, watch and do nothing. They then proceeded to say it was a job well done and I was wonderful for helping but I’m sure that was only out of their embarrassment.

So, I still think the same, I would like to think someone would stop and help.

But

Maybe they were right in afterthought?

I’ve put myself at extra risk? I should have stood by and ignored the situation? Urned a blind eye? Or not moved and rang an ambulance instead? But the NHS is stretched as it is at the moment, what if the ambulance turned up and he had wandered off? I was then wasting the ambulances time?

Still, I came home, put my clothes in the wash and took a shower just in case.

People think it’s fine to ignore the social distancing guidelines and go sunbathing in the park but think it’s wrong to help out someone who is in trouble?

This is the world we live in?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

‘Turned a blind eye’ not ‘urned a blind eye’

Lol

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

You did the right thing.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good for you bravo, if it was my grandad I would like to think someone would do the same for him because I know I would

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"You did the right thing."

Thank you

over a year ago

I applaud your desire to continue to help folk op and this is indeed a time where such a thing has become a dilemma. Personally I think I would have done the same to be honest but it's probably the wrong move considering the restrictions we're all under to keep apart. Proper risis of conscience that one.

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"Good for you bravo, if it was my grandad I would like to think someone would do the same for him because I know I would "

Thank you

over a year ago

"So this is a dilemma and a possible guilty conscience after the event sort of mindset at the moment.

I have been staying at home (I work from home anyway) for the last 3 weeks and I’ve only been out once to get grocery shopping for myself and for my parents (high risk). I’ve been ordering as much as possible online but the groceries online has just been a waste of time trying.

Anyways, this morning I had to go out to the bank to sort stuff for me and my mum and dad. I couldn’t do it online.

So, I’m keeping my distance as I should and there’s probably about 30ish people waiting in the area for a couple of the banks to open up.

I’m on the phone on a work call. As I turn round I see an old fella stumble against the wall of the bank and clearly he has a problem. All the people between me and this old chap just stood there watching him. Not one person spoke to him.

I ended my call and shouted over to him to ask if he was ok and he said no. He was all giddy. I went closer as he was about to drop on the floor. I asked if he wanted an ambulance and he said no as he was waiting for a heart operation and they can’t admit him at the moment. He said he just needed to get to the bus shelter (about 200 yards away) where he could rest and wait for his bus to get home.

I told him to steady himself on my arm and I walked him up to his bus shelter so he was safe. I old him he shouldn’t be out and he said he had no one to help. His children were in Coventry and the British heart foundation had said they couldn’t help at the moment and he was awaiting to hear back from the councils community help scheme.

I got back to the queue for the bank (I’ve now lost my place) and 3 elderly people in front of me were talking loudly making sure I could hear saying that I shouldn’t have got that close to the man.

So I spoke up and explained that if that was my mum or dad and they needed help, I would like to think they would be helped in a time of need by someone if needed rather than stand and stare, watch and do nothing. They then proceeded to say it was a job well done and I was wonderful for helping but I’m sure that was only out of their embarrassment.

But

I’ve put myself at extra risk? I should have stood by and ignored the situation? Urned a blind eye? Or not moved and rang an ambulance instead? But the NHS is stretched as it is at the moment, what if the ambulance turned up and he had wandered off? I was then wasting the ambulances time?

People think it’s fine to ignore the social distancing guidelines and go sunbathing in the park but think it’s wrong to help out someone who is in trouble?

"

you did the right thing we are most of us going to get this virus at some point stop worrying what the self righteous think and do what you think is right, hey you were right when you said the old boy should not have been out but who's helping him with his shopping eh nobody thats who, thanks for making an effort ok

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"I applaud your desire to continue to help folk op and this is indeed a time where such a thing has become a dilemma. Personally I think I would have done the same to be honest but it's probably the wrong move considering the restrictions we're all under to keep apart. Proper risis of conscience that one."

Yes it’s the mind rethinking the whole thing afterwards

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"So this is a dilemma and a possible guilty conscience after the event sort of mindset at the moment.

But

you did the right thing we are most of us going to get this virus at some point stop worrying what the self righteous think and do what you think is right, hey you were right when you said the old boy should not have been out but who's helping him with his shopping eh nobody thats who, thanks for making an effort ok "

Thank you

over a year ago

i would have helped too, but you always get people who will have a go at you for whatever you do.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

You did the right thing. I would have done the same.

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

From time to time we have to step up and tare a risk to help others...

We see selfless acts by people to save both humans and animals all the time being posted on the Internet.

What you did is no different, you showed compassion and humility while putting your personal safety to one side.

Good on you, I wish the world had more people like you in it..

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

You definitely did the right thing, the risk of you catching Crona is still very low.

I would have ignored the guy and rang an ambulance anyway and let them make the decision about what's best for him.

His family will be very grateful you did w you did.

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

You did right thing OP

I hope he got home safely

Jo x

over a year ago

Well done. Totally the right thing to do. Would hate to think a member of my family was being ignored in the same situation.

over a year ago

Top man, in my eyes you did the right thing. It was a risk worth taking.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

But

"

What I think is totally irrelevant

Apparently you have the virus and dont know he most likely did not

The theory goes

He would have suffered but not needed NHS support

Now you have given him the virus he will go to hospital he will pass it onto a nurse they will both die

That's the rhetoric that's why people judge you

What I think is irrelevant here

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"You did the right thing."

This.

By *ucklingsCouple
over a year ago

Rugby

Definitely the right thing you did Op. I live away from my dad, different country even and I would hope that if it was him, someone would have helped. Xxx

over a year ago

But

you did the right thing we are most of us going to get this virus at some point stop worrying what the self righteous think and do what you think is right, hey you were right when you said the old boy should not have been out but who's helping him with his shopping eh nobody thats who, thanks for making an effort ok

Thank you "

you're a good man be proud of what you did

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"i would have helped too, but you always get people who will have a go at you for whatever you do."

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"You did the right thing. I would have done the same. "

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Anyone with a heart would of done the same as you but I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't at the moment.

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"From time to time we have to step up and tare a risk to help others...

We see selfless acts by people to save both humans and animals all the time being posted on the Internet.

What you did is no different, you showed compassion and humility while putting your personal safety to one side.

Good on you, I wish the world had more people like you in it.. "

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"You definitely did the right thing, the risk of you catching Crona is still very low.

I would have ignored the guy and rang an ambulance anyway and let them make the decision about what's best for him.

His family will be very grateful you did w you did. "

over a year ago

"Anyone with a heart would of done the same as you but I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't at the moment.

"

You see it on the news and FB etc situations like we are in now bring out the best and the worst in people

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

100% right behaviour, start to finish.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

My natural instinct would be to help also, can’t believe you were the only one to help

over a year ago

the morally right thing in a difficult situation

over a year ago

Well done OP salute Sir

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

But

The theory goes

Now you have given him the virus he will go to hospital he will pass it onto a nurse they will both die

What I think is irrelevant here "

OMG. Have you any compassion, or at least a Heart for fellow human beings?

What if it had been your Father or an elderly Male relative who'd collapsed in the street?

It can be said that Rules are Rules, but they can be moved out of shape to fit circumstances as they evolve!

I stand alongside this guy's decision. He showed compassion for someone he didn't know, but was compelled to act.

Full marks to him for what he did, as recognised by the majority of others on here!

By *awhide69Man
over a year ago

ayr

Well done to you sir. Always better to do something than nothing at all . Only thing dropped from first aid in this current crisis is no longer to give mouth to mouth all other aid remains the same . Shame on the other bystanders who did nothing

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

You certainly did the right thing.

I am an 80 year old guy awaiting a heart operation. it was originally scheduled for 4th May but subsequently deferred to who knows when.

I would like to think that there would be a good samaritan around to help should I have a problem.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

The natural instinct is to help out and most of us would have acted the same and fair play op..

The difference with this virus is that we all need to risk assess a little bit more on each individual case..

That's not to say don't do nothing in such a situation but a pause to assess is what we all should be thinking, strange times..

over a year ago

But

"

You were right to help him. X

over a year ago

I would have done exactly the same, I’m sure the man and his family will be very grateful, you’re a good man x

over a year ago

You absolutely did the right thing in my opinion. Especially with everything that's going on theres a lot of what ifs.

The biggest flip side could of been had you just stood there and it helped and something had gone seriously wrong with that man.

But you didnt, you acted and helped and I take my hat off to you. Its people like you that are more and more needed in these troubling times

Fair play to ya!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

But

The theory goes

What I think is irrelevant here

OMG. Have you any compassion, or at least a Heart for fellow human beings?

What if it had been your Father or an elderly Male relative who'd collapsed in the street?

It can be said that Rules are Rules, but they can be moved out of shape to fit circumstances as they evolve!

I stand alongside this guy's decision. He showed compassion for someone he didn't know, but was compelled to act.

Full marks to him for what he did, as recognised by the majority of others on here! "

Read what I said

What I said had zero to do with my thoughts it's the rhetoric that is being recited daily

Glad you feel the rhetoric is inappropriate

over a year ago

"I would have done exactly the same, I’m sure the man and his family will be very grateful, you’re a good man x "
he is

over a year ago

As a former first aider, I would say you did the right thing.

The guy was about to collapse. He could have been having a heart attack for all you knew - in which case, the priority would have been emergency medical help.

It's no good worrying about transmitting the virus to soneobe who may be dying in front of you.

Yes, you may have exposed yourself, but judging by your post, you'd have felt terrible if you hadn't assisted him.

By *elly72Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

To be honest even without the corona most people would have just stood and watched anyway but I think you did the right thing at least you did your best at the time

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The decision has been made and the consequences are inalterable so it really is no good wondering "what if? “ The liklihood is that neither of you will have anything but a good outcome and I genuinely hope and trust that's the case.

If it's worth anything at all I think you did the right thing and the people making adverse comments were doing what many people on here and other social media are doing day in day out in criticising and finger pointing.

My parents are both very elderly and luckily have back up and support but if they needed help from a stranger I hope someone like you would be nearby

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

If it was a heart attack, or something similar, then you'd have saved his life. The contracting of coronavirus by him from you, or the other way around, is a moot point. It can't kill someone who is dead!

You did the right thing dude. Well done.

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

I think before the virus lockdown not many would have helped or known what to do. Although you lost your place in the queue you were able to help and did so, i think that's a good thing to be in life.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"‘Turned a blind eye’ not ‘urned a blind eye’

Lol"

You did well I would have done the same well done xxxx

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"To be honest even without the corona most people would have just stood and watched anyway but I think you did the right thing at least you did your best at the time "

I would have helped.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

But

"

I would of done th same mate , sorry but I couldn't let somebody suffer like that either

over a year ago

Good for you. I would do the same you’ve stayed home isolating and your well I assume so you’ve probably not got it so won’t harm the old man.

You’ve got to help tho surely otherwise what kind of a person are we

Good on ya

over a year ago

Of course you did the right thing. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Human kindness and compassion is in such short supply at the moment. Thank you for having some x

over a year ago

Btw I bet the 3 old women are the same women that will go to the shop and not obey the rules and walk right by you to get their tin of sweets off the shelf...as happened to me today ..crazy

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

"Btw I bet the 3 old women are the same women that will go to the shop and not obey the rules and walk right by you to get their tin of sweets off the shelf...as happened to me today ..crazy "
and probably go in 2/3 times a day !!!! Like my local coop !!!

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

It's a sad world we live in when we are forced to question our own actions taken out of compassion and caring for others whether that be the situation you were in OP or going to the aid of a young child on their own or any number of other acts of kindness.

You did absolutely the right thing in the circumstances and should absolutely not be called into question for what you did - which is what I would hope I and many others would do faced with the same situation.

over a year ago

"Btw I bet the 3 old women are the same women that will go to the shop and not obey the rules and walk right by you to get their tin of sweets off the shelf...as happened to me today ..crazy and probably go in 2/3 times a day !!!! Like my local coop !!! "

Correct ..honestly I go to the shop maybe rarely as abiding the rules and every single time older people bashing past me ..always older folk. They don’t care in the shop but will tut tut in a que ...also they took your place I’m guessing ..got to laugh at them crazy ppl

over a year ago

I would have done exactly the same without hesitation!

Nora x

over a year ago

You my friend had made the RIGHT decision xxxx

By *0hnnyBrav0 OP   Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

Thanks for all your comments

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

You wanted to help him and were willing to make personal sacrifice of your time and energy to do so - that's the most important thing, alongside that we hope neither of you caught the virus. I respect your decision and help for him.

The greater the number of people together as onlookers, the more disabled people seem to become to actually do something, for many psychological and personal reasons. Some are always selfish, not helping others too.

Many people will say afterwards that you did the right thing, when challenged. They may be more inclined to emulate what you did, if they encounter it again. I'd guess few would though.

Thanks for helping him, he truly could have been a close relative to any of us and I'd appreciate that for my parents.

over a year ago

Thank goodness for people like you, I'm sure lots of us would likely have done the same.. What else could you do

Well done.. Best wishes for continued health x

Post new Message to Thread