Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Family tree

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I asked this question donkies ages ago and i remember i had some really good replies but didnt save it and cant remember the title.

I want to start tracing my family tree on my fathers side. I know nothing about them and my father knows very little as his father died when he was 12 and his father was the only one of the family to come over here from ireland.

Which are the best sites to start using. All i really know is my fathers birthplace and his fathers name and thats it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *am sampsonMan
over a year ago

cwmbran

"I asked this question donkies ages ago and i remember i had some really good replies but didnt save it and cant remember the title.

I want to start tracing my family tree on my fathers side. I know nothing about them and my father knows very little as his father died when he was 12 and his father was the only one of the family to come over here from ireland.

Which are the best sites to start using. All i really know is my fathers birthplace and his fathers name and thats it"

genesreunited and ancestry are the main 2 i think - i use genesreunited (its cheaper) but don't know whether any cover Ireland - theres also the mormons IGI which is free and good for starters

By *orflondonerMan
over a year ago

Wood Green

Ancestry.com covers Ireland.

And is worth a look.Its a pay site,about 13 quid a month ,but is good.And they usually have a deal where you get a months free trial

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

For free information about births, deaths & marriages from 1837 use freebmd.org.uk which will give you a good starting point to cross check with findmypast.co.uk (the only site to offer the 1911 Census as part of their standard subscription)

If you find a relative on freebmd.org.uk you can order the certificate for that person's birth/death/marriage to confirm your findings but the certs will give you invaluable information as to who is further up the tree.

I've traced both lines of my family back to the 1690s (we hail from Wiltshire & Wales).

Post new Message to Thread