Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Financial Abuse?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So a girl I know, left her job to move to across the country to Dublin area with her bf.

She had a kid and enrolled him into a local school.

Ended up finding it hard to find work but bf found roles with his enterprise.

Then they fell out and things are on the ropes...

Thing is: she's broke and rent is dear. She has no income and feels there is no way out. She's dependant on her ex for a roof over her head ATM and infrequent work.

Does anyone know of any agencies that can provide advice? Anyone been in a similar situ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Is he the father of the child?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm sure if she googled it.. Womens aid or samartians.. Something along those lines?

By *iffaWoman
over a year ago

wherever

Does she have any family that can take her in? The hard news is that she may qualify for housing assistance but so do many of those Living in hotels. She needs to get out of Dublin. Terrible situation to be in. I hope she gets sorted

over a year ago

My heart absolutely goes out to this lady. I was married to a very controlling asshole and I stayed for years as I was terrified of me and the kids being made homeless. I was fortunate I managed to get out and start a new life when my family came together and worked in secret day and night to renovate my Grandmother's old cottage so I could flee one night. I was one of the lucky ones I had my family to lean on. She should try contacting Threshold they should be able to point her in the right direction or Citizen Advice Bureau were also very helpful when I was looking at my opinions. She needs to get as much advice as she can before she makes any decisions

over a year ago

"Is he the father of the child?"

Yes.

over a year ago

she should initially go to Citizens Information & get advice on the HASP housing, however as she is not from Dublin , the DCC may feel no responsibility to house her & refer her back to her local council.

Womens Aid would also be good to talk to, & although she is not yet homeless she should talk to Focus.

she should also reach out to her family, no point in being a hero, admit a mistake & return to the family.

over a year ago

"I'm sure if she googled it.. Womens aid or samartians.. Something along those lines?

"

Samaritans will give emotional support but try to avoid giving advice although they may signpost to another organistion like CAB...

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Did she leave her old job on good terms? Perhaps she could move back with her family try and get her old job back. If he is the father he has a responsibility to contribute financially for the childs costs.

over a year ago

"she should initially go to Citizens Information & get advice on the HASP housing, however as she is not from Dublin , the DCC may feel no responsibility to house her & refer her back to her local council.

Womens Aid would also be good to talk to, & although she is not yet homeless she should talk to Focus.

she should also reach out to her family, no point in being a hero, admit a mistake & return to the family."

No family in the country. She's lived in Dublin 2years now.

By *kd2019Man
over a year ago

North

Try citizens advice they know everything as regards matters like this

over a year ago

Tha you for the advice. I'll get her to start with Citizen's Advice and we'll see.

If anyone wants to DM with advice or experience please do. I'll take my message filters down for a bit.

over a year ago

Focus Ireland

Saoirse women's refuge

Women's aid

Just had a quick Google and seems to be plenty of options.

Coercive control is a lot more common in this country than we think so I hope your friend gets sorted.

Post new Message to Thread