Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

STD advice

Jump to newest

By *althillswinger OP   Man
over a year ago

Heaven

Guys.

I’ll admit it. I’m completely clueless when it comes to sexual health. I totally get the wearing condom part and always wear one. But are there any real risks in giving a woman oral or as a man receiving it? With someone you don’t know btw.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes there is a risk although its alot lower but it's still there

over a year ago

Don't forget to get regular checks

over a year ago

There's a lot of info here to read through at your leisure.

https://www.sexualwellbeing.ie/

http://man2man.ie/

over a year ago

Oral without condom = Herpes or more commonly known as coldsores!

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Oral without condom = Herpes or more commonly known as coldsores!"

Can get chlaymidia and gonorrhea infections in the throat not just genitals also the many different types of hpv..benign forms cause warts..the types that dont cause warts can cause penile..vaginal..anal and throat cancers..hpv related cancer of the throat has rocketed in recent years with increased promiscuity

By *adylaceWoman
over a year ago

Waterford City

All you can really do is be as safe as you can and it’s key to get tested regularly. A lot of people say they do but don’t really. The more often you get tested the earlier you catch and treat anything that you might pick up. I’m on fab since 2012 and get tested every 3 months and I’ve never caught anything thankfully. xx

By *althillswinger OP   Man
over a year ago

Heaven

Thanks for the advice guys.

In essence is it relatively safe? Do we just need to hope for the best when it comes to oral? It seems like such a minefield.

By *adylaceWoman
over a year ago

Waterford City

I’ve just had a guy message me saying that I must be taking risks if I get tested that often. Do people truly believe this?

I clearly stated that I practice safe sex and that I’ve never picked anything up. I just think getting tested regularly is the responsible thing to do when a person is involved in this lifestyle. I’m a little stunned by the reaction if I’m honest.

over a year ago

I find using a fake name protects me from unwanted pregnancies and if they Promise me that they are "clean" that protects me from everything else

By *ineapple_PrincessWoman
over a year ago

in the waves

"Thanks for the advice guys.

In essence is it relatively safe? Do we just need to hope for the best when it comes to oral? It seems like such a minefield.

"

One thing I would highlight is cold sores are herpes and can be spread through oral sex. So many people are unaware of this and dont know the same virus that causes them can be spread genitally. Plus your standard sti screen doesn't include herpes, you have to ask for it. A lot of people carry it with no symptoms. I would encourage everyone to educate themselves because ignorance around this subject is staggering.

Fairplay for asking OP

over a year ago

"I’ve just had a guy message me saying that I must be taking risks if I get tested that often. Do people truly believe this?

I clearly stated that I practice safe sex and that I’ve never picked anything up. I just think getting tested regularly is the responsible thing to do when a person is involved in this lifestyle. I’m a little stunned by the reaction if I’m honest. "

Ah ffs typical I am same as you get tested three times a year even though I practice safe sex. My last visit to the hospital the midwife said she wished people were as proactive as me looking after their sexual health. She also added that I was the only person attending the clinic that evening that wasn't presenting with symptoms.

over a year ago

HSE STI services in Ireland

These are all the Hse clinics from my experience attending Portlaoise the waiting time is 2-3 weeks and results in 2 weeks by text. They call if there is a issue. This is a free service from the HSE. Absolutely brilliant the staff are so friendly and non judgemental

Carlow

STI Clinic, Carlow District Hospital, Athy Road. Tel: 051 842 646

Clare

STI Clinic, University Hospital Ennis. Tel: 061 482 382

Cork

STI Clinic, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Old Blackrock Road. Tel: 021 496 6844

STI Clinic, Youth Health Service, Penrose House, Penrose Quay, Cork City. Tel: 076 108 4150

Donegal

GUM/ STI Clinic, Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny. Tel: 074 912 3715

Dublin

GUIDE Clinic, St. James’s Hospital, James’s Street, Dublin 8. Tel: 01 416 2315/6

STI Clinic, Mater Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7. Tel: 01 803 2063

Gay Men’s Health Service, Meath Primary Care Centre, Heytesbury Street, Dublin 8. Tel: 01 921 2730

Galway

STI Clinic, Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe. Tel: 090 964 8372 (ext 676)

University Hospital Galway, Newcastle Road. Tel: 091 525 200

Kerry

STI Clinic, University Hospital Kerry, Tralee. Tel: 021 496 6844

Laois

STI Clinic, Out patients Dept., Midland Regional Hospital, Block Rd., Portlaoise. Tel: 086 859 1273

Limerick

STI Clinic, University Hospital Limerick, Dooradoyle. Tel: 061 482 382

Louth

GUM Clinic, Louth County Hospital, Dublin Road, Dundalk. Tel: 086 824 1847

STI Clinic, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Drogheda. Tel: 086 824 1847

Mayo

STI Clinic, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar. Tel: 094 902 1733 (ext 3501)

Monaghan

GUM Clinic, Monaghan General Hospital, Monaghan. Tel: 086 824 1847

Sligo

GUM Clinic, Sligo General Hospital, The Mall. Tel: 071 917 0473

Tipperary

STI Clinic, South Tipperary General Hospital, Clonmel. Tel: 051 842 646

STI Clinic, University Hospital Nenagh. Tel: 061 482 382

Waterford

STI Clinic, University Hospital Waterford Dunmore Road. Tel: 051 842 646

Westmeath

STI Clinic, Midland Regional Hospital, Longford Road, Mullingar. Tel: 086 416 9830

By *antra MassageMan
over a year ago

south side

Great information, thanks.

By *ollingStonesCouple
over a year ago

Newry

For anyone in the North of Ireland

This is a brillant free pilot service run by Nortern Trust.

https://sh24.org.uk/

Or google Sh24

Free and easy takes about a week

No excuse

over a year ago

"Oral without condom = Herpes or more commonly known as coldsores!"

It’s is Herpes, but it’s a completely different type of herpes you can get sexually transmitted

over a year ago

No need to be nervous and more so be honest on the questions they ask

There well used to dealing with people

Free testing why not avail of it - even give you HSE CONDOMS

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Giving a blood donation is also a good way of getting tested

By *crumtasticMan
over a year ago

D14

Getting tested regularly along with safe sex practices are obviously a good (and the best) way to mind yourself. It’s unfortunate that some people seem to think that getting regularly tested means you are taking risks. On the contrary, it’s looking after your health, like getting a check up from you GP for anything else for feck sake! Also the health professionals who carry out the test can answer any questions you have regarding it.

The list by @RosyRedLips is extremely thorough. Although I have to say that sexual health provision here in Ireland leaves a lot to be desired especially compared to UK, which is by no means perfect itself. I’ve tried multiple times to get a teat appointment in The Mater expect every time i called no one answered the phone and received no response for any voicemail I left. The voicemail message itself was out of date by still quoting christmas despite the time of the call being february. Other clinics just are not practical for me given their limited opening times and/or lack of appointment times (i.e. first come first serve or take a ticket and wait). That doesn’t work with my work times. I’ve since just got tested privately at my own expense as it’s much easier to actually get someone to pick up the phone and give you an appointment. It does not surprise me that STIs are on the rise.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Oral without condom = Herpes or more commonly known as coldsores!

It’s is Herpes, but it’s a completely different type of herpes you can get sexually transmitted "

Yea oral and genital herpes are different strains meaning only genital to genital contact can transmit genital herpes and same applies for oral herpes

By *aidbare5Couple
over a year ago

down the road

Living in a rural setting and as a married person it can be a bit nerve racking to walk in to a std clinic and sit down in the waiting room where some fecker is going to know you.

We have used an online service. A little bit expensive but to have a clear mind it's priceless. It's called letsgetchecked.com

Discreet packaging and quick results by email. I think they test for more things then the walk in but I might be corrected on that.

No excuses for not getting tested.

By *ineapple_PrincessWoman
over a year ago

in the waves

It’s is Herpes, but it’s a completely different type of herpes you can get sexually transmitted

Yea oral and genital herpes are different strains meaning only genital to genital contact can transmit genital herpes and same applies for oral herpes "

This is not true. Do some research... oral herpes can be transferred to the gentials and vice versa. There are two strains and both can present in both places.

over a year ago

Yea oral and genital herpes are different strains meaning only genital to genital contact can transmit genital herpes and same applies for oral herpes "

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/qa/how-can-herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-cause-cold-sores

I think you'll find I'm right.

over a year ago

You gotta check yourself before you wreck yourself

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Yea oral and genital herpes are different strains meaning only genital to genital contact can transmit genital herpes and same applies for oral herpes

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/qa/how-can-herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-cause-cold-sores

I think you'll find I'm right."

Im not disputing the fact that herpes causes cold sores

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

This is not true. Do some research... oral herpes can be transferred to the gentials and vice versa. There are two strains and both can present in both places. "

My bad i have heard of hsv 1 &2 being spread through oral

Post new Message to Thread