Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Rural Ireland vs taxis new yrs eve

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Was chatting to a guy earlier who will be some driving to get a few pound driving people home tonight.

However if hes caught doing it what would he be facing my good guess is a nice fine and most likely lose his licence.

I told him to be careful of what he's doing but he just told me I need the money for my family.

Then again surely the Garda would let him off considering they wont be facing a d*unk driver or god for bid a fatal accident. I didn't know how to say it to him only be careful and where I am talking about its near impossible to get a taxi especially out to the country these would be farming people that just wanna come into town and enjoy a few pints. Whats your views on it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If he's using his own car it's almost certain he won't be insured to carry anyone for hire or reward. Okay to give someone a lift home as a favour, but if they pay him he won't be insured.

over a year ago

He might get lucky and get a ride out of it.

By *Sparkie.Man
over a year ago

Ratoath

It'll be grand they said......

Then they get hit by a d*unk driver or the infamous black dog who ran out of front of so many.

Then the bachelors get spilled and nobody is insured

By *oft_sexy_sweetWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

How would he get caught like? Even if the guards did stop him someone would have to tell them the passengers are paying for lifts...

over a year ago

All it takes is someone to make a complaint and hes screwed

over a year ago

He'll be fine, would take a serious amount of unfortunate events for him to get into trouble. Any check points at most will be looking to check for d*unk drivers. Theres a specific branch for illegal taxi drivers and they won't be out tonight

over a year ago

"If he's using his own car it's almost certain he won't be insured to carry anyone for hire or reward. Okay to give someone a lift home as a favour, but if they pay him he won't be insured."

Don't pay him until the End destination

By *irtypair00Couple
over a year ago

Dublin

"How would he get caught like? Even if the guards did stop him someone would have to tell them the passengers are paying for lifts... "

Exactly this .. all they are interested in is the disc in the window and if he has drink .

over a year ago

I know a guy that got caught doing this, was nearly 1,000 of a fine and nearly lost his license.

He only really done it for people he knew and one of the few times he picked up someone he didn’t know, he was set up and the taxi regulator was there waiting for him at the “drop off”

Absolutely a joke, can’t get taxis late at night in the country side as it is and this guy was only doing it for some extra cash

By *irl4fucking18Woman
over a year ago

city

I'd say the Garda wouldn't actually care or not as long as his cars discs are updated an hes not drinking. How can they prove hes doing a taxi run?

I'm assuming op it sounds like a one off thing. I'd say go for it ask for cash up front that way there's no exchange at the end as in a fare. Between that your my friend ect I'm bringing you home well you are haha.

But you didn't want him drinking and driving simple really are you charging the passenger nope Guard. (No proof)

But I personally like seeing this happen as a medical worker I travel home late at night so the less cars I see at 3 and 4am reduces my nerves to whats coming towards me. And to what I've seen come through our doors due to d*unk drivers is unreal.

Its a massive issue for small towns and rural areas when it comes to socialization there's not enough taxis and even if people wanted to become a taxi driver the expenses of it is beyond madness.

over a year ago

Guards won't give a shit most of them are directed working 12hr shifts so theyl only be interested in drink drivers

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Its ok all he has to say is hes giving people a lift home simple as that..its not illegal to give people a lift

over a year ago

Good idea. I am from rural midlands (but live and work in Dublin) and I dont go out local when home because I cannot get taxi home. The taxi from next nearest town will not come come out.

I would gladly pay 5e to 10e for local run from someone I can depend on and I know and trust.

Like original poster said, as long as car has insurance, tax and NCT and is safe, the Gardai will be happy. All he has to say is he is dropping these folk home. That is not messing with insurance.

The only issue I can see is if another Taxi driver thinks he is stealing business......but if there is no taxi service available in that local area then it is grand

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

The cops will do fuck all, they wont even do anything about all the illegals in Dublin in actual fake taxis.

However as an honest person if he crashes he is fucked, will end up paying out 15-20k per person in the car. If the insurance company finds out which they should because insurance fraud is scum, then he could end up personally liable for the whole claim.

The reason the taxi driver a town down the road wont come up to collect you is because of people like him, He is paying 10-15k insurance, he has to compete against people who will crash into him for a 5 euro trip, who will assault him, who might not be legal, who are working a car 24 hours a day by switching multiple drivers through it and people giving each other lifts.

People need to be serious, they wanted a taxi at the click of their fingers in Dublin, and it was mostly country people who wanted it. So this is how it is.

Last time I was in one, He didnt know name of pub, no big deal there are loads, so named road. He didnt know road, no big deal it can be hard so told him Donnybrook and ill show you rest of way.. Didn't know Donnybrook.

I know that some taxi drivers are making good money, but the fact is, most are not, the days of them all having mercs are long gone and they are not buying new cars, second hand skodas, the money just isnt there anymore for most of them.

Anyway I seen Guinness run an advert where they are paying people to sit in a pub and not drink, and drive and pickup people all during the night.

over a year ago

Would it be ok to do it for free and the person leaves a tip?

over a year ago

"Was chatting to a guy earlier who will be some driving to get a few pound driving people home tonight.

However if hes caught doing it what would he be facing my good guess is a nice fine and most likely lose his licence.

I told him to be careful of what he's doing but he just told me I need the money for my family.

Then again surely the Garda would let him off considering they wont be facing a d*unk driver or god for bid a fatal accident. I didn't know how to say it to him only be careful and where I am talking about its near impossible to get a taxi especially out to the country these would be farming people that just wanna come into town and enjoy a few pints. Whats your views on it "

Once his car is taxed ,insured,and NCT'd everyone else can go fuck themselves as regards what he does or who he puts into it,as a non drinker l've often brought people home from gigs even members of the band itself ,and sometimes have come out of a chipper to see people hoping a taxi would arrive and ask them if they were ok for a lift ,it could be 3am in the freezing cold BUT would NEVER ask for payment..NEVER ... sometimes they would throw a few quid on the front seat as they got out but a lot of the time they would be on my route home or near it ..but to answer the question here ,l wouldn't give a fuck about what anyone thought of me bringing anyone home safe and sound from a night out or who l bring in my car ..my car ..I'll put whoever the fuck l want into it to get them home safe and sound and out of the freezing night if needs be ... anytime.

By *obroyman17Man
over a year ago

Once off I’d image it be ok, but if it’s regular and the local legit taxi men report him to the regulator they could set him up on a sting operation as previously mentioned and that’s where the problems arise.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

He was okay luckily no checkpoints and one of his local taxi he actually brought home an he said fair play I wont say anything. How mad was that but yip I'd say it was a once off thing couldn't see him doing it again

Post new Message to Thread