Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Dialect

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’m a dublin man and a very proud one at that.

The other day I was talking and I used the phrase “we do be though don’t’n’t we not”

Some dublin snob, probably a west Brit pulled me up on it and started slagging the way I speak so I gave her a box in the jaw.

Is there any other unique and regional things other fabbers say that only your kind of people say and understand?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes Sir

over a year ago

Cork is famous for people saying "I will ya" meaning I wont.....

I have taken this to heart and assume the 47 women who told me the would not fuck me yesterday ment yes of course they would

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

Story bud

over a year ago

"Cork is famous for people saying "I will ya" meaning I wont.....

I have taken this to heart and assume the 47 women who told me the would not fuck me yesterday ment yes of course they would"

That's not dialect as such though, just an inability to be upfront, pretty sure that's a nationwide characteristic

over a year ago

I'll bleedin reef ya was a popular one where I grew up in Dublin.

It means I'll pull your head clean off

over a year ago

I have taken this to heart and assume the 47 women who told me the would not fuck me yesterday ment yes of course they would

That's not dialect as such though, just an inability to be upfront, pretty sure that's a nationwide characteristic "

It is ya

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

"I'll bleedin reef ya was a popular one where I grew up in Dublin.

It means I'll pull your head clean off "

Which in turn ment, I'm not amused by your carry on and may have to hit you

over a year ago

"I'll bleedin reef ya was a popular one where I grew up in Dublin.

It means I'll pull your head clean off

Which in turn ment, I'm not amused by your carry on and may have to hit you "

Ah the good old days

By *r tayt2Man
over a year ago

Trim

Think it's cool we don't sound the same and sure it's a good

Hate if we lost it

Although I have noticed a lot of kids now speak with odd accents

From watching kids programs on TV

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

That's not dialect as such though, just an inability to be upfront, pretty sure that's a nationwide characteristic "

It's particularly prominent with Corkonians though, you get all these 'I might come, I might not' or 'if the weather is good I might have a cup of tea'. Straight conclusive answers are not their strength.

over a year ago

That's not dialect as such though, just an inability to be upfront, pretty sure that's a nationwide characteristic

It's particularly prominent with Corkonians though, you get all these 'I might come, I might not' or 'if the weather is good I might have a cup of tea'. Straight conclusive answers are not their strength. "

Again, I'd have to doubt that it's any different elsewhere. Perhaps I need to travel to Cork for some in-depth research on the locals

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

There is no "yeah" or "no" in Irish, so you repeat the question back to say yes or no. "I will, I do, I am, I can" for yes, and "I wont, I don't, I am not, I can not" for no.

We are the least common people in the world to say "yes" or "no", and that results in a sarcastic "yes" being "I will yeah".

It's like "does be/do be" is a tense in irish but not in English. "He does be going mad", people outside ireland dont really understand that.

Also I think its universal in Ireland but "gives out", as in "I was giving out to the children".. my english friends dont understand that.

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

We have a few in Waterford alright

A shellakybooky is a snail, but I've also heard the word used to refer to someone who is scared.

Cant is a word we use if someone looses a football by kicking it too hard (He canted the ball).

If something is bad we say it's cat.

If you stand in front of somebody watching the tele they might ask you, "Were you made in the glass factory?"

And of course we say 'boy' or 'girl' at the end of every sentence boy.

over a year ago

"We have a few in Waterford alright

A shellakybooky is a snail, but I've also heard the word used to refer to someone who is scared.

Cant is a word we use if someone looses a football by kicking it too hard (He canted the ball).

If you stand in front of somebody watching the tele they might ask you, "Were you made in the glass factory?"

And of course we say 'boy' or 'girl' at the end of every sentence boy."

You've just reminded me of something I haven't heard in decades "cat melodeon" - anyone familiar with this?

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

You've just reminded me of something I haven't heard in decades "cat melodeon" - anyone familiar with this?"

Oh jayus think i may have used that a few times

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

You've just reminded me of something I haven't heard in decades "cat melodeon" - anyone familiar with this?"

Cat is bad, cat malogen is wicked bad altogether

over a year ago

You've just reminded me of something I haven't heard in decades "cat melodeon" - anyone familiar with this?

Oh jayus think i may have used that a few times "

Ah yeah, but sure you're fabs resident seanchai

By *ohng69Man
over a year ago

athenry

Cat is bad, cat malogen is wicked bad altogether "

It was cat when the dog died

over a year ago

It's particularly prominent with Corkonians though, you get all these 'I might come, I might not' or 'if the weather is good I might have a cup of tea'. Straight conclusive answers are not their strength. "

How would they not know if they were going to come or not?

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

I love language, and accents and dialects are wonderfully expressive and varied from one place to the next...

But even I struggle to understand the Wexford town accent! Combine it with an idiosyncratic dialect and you may as well be in another country

Areet der sahhhn? = Hello chum

Quare deadly = rather good

A hape = An unknown quantity

A haaaaaaape = a larger unknown quantity

Yerwan/yerman = him/her over there

Ate = eat something or rebuke someone

Oh.. And every question ends with 'eh'

Did ya ride yerwan eh?

Do ya want salt on yer chips eh?

Are ya goin to ate that eh?

Did yer ma ate ya for taken dat hape a cans eh?

And let's not forget that everyone is called 'hun'

By *ohng69Man
over a year ago

athenry

"I love language, and accents and dialects are wonderfully expressive and varied from one place to the next...

But even I struggle to understand the Wexford town accent! Combine it with an idiosyncratic dialect and you may as well be in another country

Areet der sahhhn? = Hello chum

Quare deadly = rather good

A hape = An unknown quantity

A haaaaaaape = a larger unknown quantity

Yerwan/yerman = him/her over there

Ate = eat something or rebuke someone

Oh.. And every question ends with 'eh'

Did ya ride yerwan eh?

Do ya want salt on yer chips eh?

Are ya goin to ate that eh?

Did yer ma ate ya for taken dat hape a cans eh?

And let's not forget that everyone is called 'hun' "

I work with someone from wexford and she finishes every sentence with an eh,making it sound like a question

over a year ago

I work with a lot of lads from up north and will literally spend the day doubled up with the quick one liner sayings

The oul' blade (mother)

The oul' doll (wife/gf)

Talkin' dung (talking shite)

Post new Message to Thread