Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Cycle

Jump to newest

By *ardandmean OP   Man
over a year ago

carlow

Hi all

I'm doing a 50km charity cycle for pieta-house in August..

I haven't cycled since I was a kid

I've bought a road bike

Been out a few evenings

Did about 10 km but was totally beat..

Has anyone any tips to improve my training??

I really want to complete the 50km for personal reasons

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

50k won't be a bother. Start small to get your arse used to it. 10k is perfect. Few days off 15k,20k, 30k etc

Be consistent. It's easy to get there if you do it right. Eat well around the cycle but maybe bring an energy drink and some sugary sweets on the cycle.

Use an indoor bike in the gym and try to get up to an hour if cycling too. Will really supplement your road work for that distance. Good luck.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It will be no bother to you. Do as the previous comment states. Hardest part is getting used to the saddle. Get a pair of bib shorts with a gel pad in them. Get a mate to cycle with you or join your local cycling club. A decent cycling club will always welcome new members. Stick at it after your fund raiser, cycling is good for the mind & body. NB I do alot of cycling.

By *ubeMan
over a year ago

Drogheda

Get out 3 evening a week and build up the miles in the legs and then one of the days of the weekend do a 50km spin slowly and it will not take long to get time down and the speed up, but don’t push yourself to hard, try to get your average speed up to somewhere between 20 to 25 kph and you will be fine.

By *ardandmean OP   Man
over a year ago

carlow

Thanks everyone

Would an ordinary t-shirt be OK??

Runners??

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Buy decent shorts!

Make sure the saddle is high enough.

When climbing, lean over handlebars at steep parts. Pull your stomach in...

50k should be nothing even for someone reasonably fit.

By *ubeMan
over a year ago

Drogheda

"Thanks everyone

Would an ordinary t-shirt be OK??

Runners?? "

Good shorts bib shorts are best, after that what ever your comfortable in will be fine for 50km, the club I’m in just ran a couch to 100km in just 12 weeks and everyone that done the training did the 100km sportive, now 23 of them are out every week with the club, you will be well able for 50km, just enjoy it.

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

1. Check the saddle height & check the bike (brakes, gears)

2. if you can borrow or buy a pair of cycling shoes.

They can be useful but not necessary to have.

3. If you're in a gym, do a few spin classes

(Great place to chat to people too )

4. Ask a mate to head out for a cycle

(just make sure he's not ultra competitive like one of my mates!

5. Do a little bit of stretching

(hams, quads, calves & lower back)

6. Get out on the bike & have some fun!

By *ardandmean OP   Man
over a year ago

carlow

Thanks to everyone for their replies

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

"Thanks to everyone for their replies"

-----

Now get on yer bike!!!!

By *oxminxCouple
over a year ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Just a few pointers aside from shorts with chamois etc

Id suggest forgetting about distance targets and focus more on building up to the duration of time on your spins.

Build up 30 mins to 2 hrs in increments.

I reckon the 50k will possibly take you 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.

Keep this in mind and try for just over an hour out to a coffee stop and under an hour home a few times.

Definetly avoid pushing a big gear and try get comfortable with a reasonable cadence maybe 60 to 75 rpm. You won't be going fast but it will make you way way better when you can go quicker in a bigger gear in time.

A little a lot works way better than a lot a little.

Try not to wear material close to your chest which holds sweat. Breathable tops are a healthy advantage. Layer up and peel off as opposed to the opposite.

Check the wind direction and choose a route where you can ride home with a tail wind. This will leave you with a big grin after the outward journey!

Having someone to tag along with will add to the enjoyment and the time will fly by.

Runners will cause aching feet, so if thats you're only alternative try pic up some old style pedals with toe clips and straps to give you some support.

Drink plenty of fluids before, during and post rides. Grab some simple HI Five isotonic tablets to pop into your water bottle for the spins. Get used to drinking on the move with them all the time. They could upset you if just used on the day. From memory i think orange and lemon were kinda refreshing. Start with a half tablet.

You shouldn't need food up to 2 hrs on the bike but keep a ripe banana in your jersey and only eat it if you feel you are hungry when you go out on your spin.

If you are coming home totally exhausted you have gone to hard, too far or a combination of both. Plus the target you have set yourself will become a pain in the ass chore. Eat some cereal or have a chicken sandwich immediately when you get home. Grab a quick cool shower and go lie down for 20 mins as soon as possible (if possible EVERY time)

Enjoy the activity and take everything in around you.

If you need to know anything that you have difficulty with, feel free to ask.

Fair play and best of luck

#respect

By *m389Man
over a year ago

Bromley

I echo the comment on having a banana.

By *ajobMan
over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Setup your saddle in the right position is the 1st thing u need to do...plenty of vids on youtube to help you out...yes...decent bib shorts are a god send....check out wiggles dhb range or goto planet x...they have great stuff for a reasonable price....do u have normal pedals or cleatless with specific shoes.....tbh this helps with your bike fit and pedal experiance...get your cadence up to 80-100...thats the most effeciant range for most ppl...that way your spinning the legs at a good rate and pumping the blood round...good luck

Post new Message to Thread