Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

What passes as a joke

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just wondering how certain people can make comments about other site users and pass it off as a joke.But if some others made the same comments about them they would be hanged drawn and quartered.It would appear to be ok to make fun of certain people as long as it's not one of the popular people here.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ortadowncplCouple
over a year ago

Portadown

You mean like in real life?

Online we don’t have to see the response and emotional reaction to what we say so we become desensitised. Assuming there is a response.

However, a person who otherwise feeds stray kittens and is Avery lovely person can make an ill advised, off the cuff remark (or react to someone else’s) and be branded for life as the internet is forever...

Also bear in mind how much tone, speed and body language plays into human communication - we loose that online more than in writing as it’s generally less thought out so we can read into things as worse than intended.

On top of all this we have the in group, out group dynamics at work psychologically - this plays a huge roll here where there is a huge perceived competition and we are literally separated into groups with greater or lesser perceived “value”, it’s like a caste system at times!

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"Just wondering how certain people can make comments about other site users and pass it off as a joke.But if some others made the same comments about them they would be hanged drawn and quartered.It would appear to be ok to make fun of certain people as long as it's not one of the popular people here."

It’s all a little academic without some context to your post

By *ortadowncplCouple
over a year ago

Portadown

I should say that I’m a BIG supporter of freedom of speech, all speech no matter who’s feelings get hurt. Unless your speech is encouraging violence then I don’t care.

Interesting Facebook allows death threats to be placed against people it (a company) feels are dangerous! To quote it’s policies:

“Do not post:

Threats that could lead to death (and other forms of high-severity violence) of any target(s), where threat is defined as any of the following:

Statements of intent to commit high-severity violence

Calls for high-severity violence (unless the target is an organisation or individual covered in the Dangerous Individuals and Organisations Policy)“

There dangerous individuals are whoever they feel like!

By *ortadowncplCouple
over a year ago

Portadown

"I should say that I’m a BIG supporter of freedom of speech, all speech no matter who’s feelings get hurt. Unless your speech is encouraging violence then I don’t care.

Interesting Facebook allows death threats to be placed against people it (a company) feels are dangerous! To quote it’s policies:

“Do not post:

Threats that could lead to death (and other forms of high-severity violence) of any target(s), where threat is defined as any of the following:

Statements of intent to commit high-severity violence

Calls for high-severity violence (unless the target is an organisation or individual covered in the Dangerous Individuals and Organisations Policy)“

There dangerous individuals are whoever they feel like!

"

My spelling is horrific today. *their

over a year ago

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It depends on whether you know the person well enough to make a comment or joke. If you've spoken to them before they'll understand you're just having a bit of craic and take it in stride or even fire one back at you.. if you're basically a stranger and say something they'll more than likely not take it well

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Just wondering how certain people can make comments about other site users and pass it off as a joke.But if some others made the same comments about them they would be hanged drawn and quartered.It would appear to be ok to make fun of certain people as long as it's not one of the popular people here."

It may not be anything to do with people who are popular it's more likely they have chatted and have gotten to know each other so the comment would be taken as just having the craic with each other. But if a stranger made the same comment it would be seen as been odd and over stepping the mark. I don't know given the limited info in your post that is the more likely scenario I think.

over a year ago

I think they only hang, draw and quarter the serial offenders around here

over a year ago

Shiver me timbers

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

Depends on the context like the poster afew days ago a couple who clearly from their pics were curvy but described them self as athelatic, when some one pointed this out u got offended on their behalf when clearly both had tongue firmly in their respective cheek's when they posted.or the time u pulled me up for picking on a newbie (yourself) when clearly from ur posts this is not ur first merrygoround ride newbie me arse.

Id be more conserned on the impact of snowflakes than the few that try lighten the mood of the forum, theres enough here to redirect a misguided comment with positive comment without the need to try and kill off the humour of the forum

By *ortadowncplCouple
over a year ago

Portadown

"Depends on the context like the poster afew days ago a couple who clearly from their pics were curvy but described them self as athelatic, when some one pointed this out u got offended on their behalf when clearly both had tongue firmly in their respective cheek's when they posted.or the time u pulled me up for picking on a newbie (yourself) when clearly from ur posts this is not ur first merrygoround ride newbie me arse.

Id be more conserned on the impact of snowflakes than the few that try lighten the mood of the forum, theres enough here to redirect a misguided comment with positive comment without the need to try and kill off the humour of the forum "

Snowflakes ruin everything!

By *unnyfookMan
over a year ago

Naas

ican see your point op, but in general most here dont intentionlly go to hurt people, its very hard to articulate anything with a few written words. it can be perceived as a joke or hurtfull to others.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"Depends on the context like the poster afew days ago a couple who clearly from their pics were curvy but described them self as athelatic, when some one pointed this out u got offended on their behalf when clearly both had tongue firmly in their respective cheek's when they posted.or the time u pulled me up for picking on a newbie (yourself) when clearly from ur posts this is not ur first merrygoround ride newbie me arse.

Id be more conserned on the impact of snowflakes than the few that try lighten the mood of the forum, theres enough here to redirect a misguided comment with positive comment without the need to try and kill off the humour of the forum

Snowflakes ruin everything!"

Except nakid snowangels

over a year ago

Id be more conserned on the impact of snowflakes than the few that try lighten the mood of the forum, theres enough here to redirect a misguided comment with positive comment without the need to try and kill off the humour of the forum "

Maybe some of the people that I pulled up on their behaviour was friends of yours?

over a year ago

Its actually quite an admirable stance.... I just hope it stays in place when the facade of this most recent profile finally slips

By *oseredWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

"Its actually quite an admirable stance.... I just hope it stays in place when the facade of this most recent profile finally slips "

over a year ago

"Its actually quite an admirable stance.... I just hope it stays in place when the facade of this most recent profile finally slips

"

Has it not already?

over a year ago

"Its actually quite an admirable stance.... I just hope it stays in place when the facade of this most recent profile finally slips

Has it not already? "

Its all beem quite measured and polite in comparison to other versions so far

over a year ago

Has it not already?

Its all beem quite measured and polite in comparison to other versions so far "

He's taller now and apparently in good shape... What's good for the body is good for mind positivity..well done op

over a year ago

Has it not already?

He's taller now and apparently in good shape... What's good for the body is good for mind positivity..well done op "

You guys appear to know more about me than I know about myself.

By *unnyfookMan
over a year ago

Naas

"Its actually quite an admirable stance.... I just hope it stays in place when the facade of this most recent profile finally slips "

you will have to elaborate on this a bit m8 ir did i miss something?

over a year ago

you will have to elaborate on this a bit m8 ir did i miss something? "

I believe he thinks I'm an old lover of his from some bygone era.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

I'm a supporter of free speech, I think you should be able to voice any opinion you want as long as its not a "call to act" as in "kill yourself", or "we should kill all gay people".

I have no problem with somoene saying they don't like Irish people, gay people, black people. I don't think it should lose them their job unless they act on it. I think being able to voice these things is important and helpful and can sometimes help people get over stuff.

Its also proven in America during the days of "I don't agree with what they said but I'll die for their right to say it", things like the KKK fell into obscurity, they had less than 1000 memebers in the whole of the US.

But since liberals in America started to police speech, social campaigns aimed at ruining peoples lives supported by companies like google/twitter/facebook, well the number of KKK memebers has swelled, people don't stop thinking stuff, they just stop talking it through and move their talk into secret with other like minded people which can create toxic enviroments that encourage the ideas and thoughts that might be the worst they have.

Sadly I live in Ireland and Ireland disagrees with my view and agrees in policing peoples speech.

By *unnyfookMan
over a year ago

Naas

there is a line between free speech and being a cunt

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

Personally if someone knows me or has been chatting to me and says something I know to be a joke or banter, I'll know it and respond in kind... But a third party observing might not be aware of the friendship and see the interaction as an insult or an argument, or even if they do realise it's a joke, might join in.. But without that prior dynamic it's easy to take offence if a complete stranger joins in and makes the same kind of comments. This might be where your confusion arises and you wonder why A can get away with saying something, while B might get a different reaction for the same comment to the same person.

By *unnyfookMan
over a year ago

Naas

"Personally if someone knows me or has been chatting to me and says something I know to be a joke or banter, I'll know it and respond in kind... But a third party observing might not be aware of the friendship and see the interaction as an insult or an argument, or even if they do realise it's a joke, might join in.. But without that prior dynamic it's easy to take offence if a complete stranger joins in and makes the same kind of comments. This might be where your confusion arises and you wonder why A can get away with saying something, while B might get a different reaction for the same comment to the same person. "

over a year ago

"Sadly I live in Ireland and Ireland disagrees with my view and agrees in policing peoples speech."

How does Ireland as a state police your speech?

over a year ago

Has it not already?

He's taller now and apparently in good shape... What's good for the body is good for mind positivity..well done op You guys appear to know more about me than I know about myself. "

Everyone is just really good at smelling bullshit i think. No offense intended of course

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

Id be more conserned on the impact of snowflakes than the few that try lighten the mood of the forum, theres enough here to redirect a misguided comment with positive comment without the need to try and kill off the humour of the forum Maybe some of the people that I pulled up on their behaviour was friends of yours?"

As in online aquaintances most likely whome i have about as much interaction as i do with yourself good sir

over a year ago

Has it not already?

He's taller now and apparently in good shape... What's good for the body is good for mind positivity..well done op You guys appear to know more about me than I know about myself.

Everyone is just really good at smelling bullshit i think. No offense intended of course "

Oh thank christ thats what it is.... I thought something was dead under the floorboards

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

----------------------

That's a fair point and true OP

.When I joined FAB myself and made any comment on the forums I'd be ridiculed by the same few of the "too cool for school" crew and their white knight brigade

...and if I so much as made a remark or typo on the forums, the "popular" forum piranhas would be out in force to ridicule...

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

I gave up caring about what other people thought on the forums & began speaking my mind...

So, could give a sh1t if someone loves, hates, calls me out or is indifferent to anything I type...

Now, there is a difference between teasing, having a laugh or making a tongue in cheek remark ...and then there's bringing someone down a notch in order to make you look good which I don't agree with

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"Just wondering how certain people can make comments about other site users and pass it off as a joke.But if some others made the same comments about them they would be hanged drawn and quartered.It would appear to be ok to make fun of certain people as long as it's not one of the popular people here.

----------------------

.When I joined FAB myself and made any comment on the forums I'd be ridiculed by the same few of the "too cool for school" crew and their white knight brigade

...and if I so much as made a remark or typo on the forums, the "popular" forum piranhas would be out in force to ridicule...

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

I gave up caring about what other people thought on the forums & began speaking my mind...

So, could give a sh1t if someone loves, hates, calls me out or is indifferent to anything I type...

Now, there is a difference between teasing, having a laugh or making a tongue in cheek remark ...and then there's bringing someone down a notch in order to make you look good which I don't agree with "

Being on here neigh on eight years and cant say I seen to many ridiculed for being a newbie or posting bar those that totally feck up on thread on reflection most are welcomed with open arms

At one stsge there was a few that loved to throw the clique accusation about in order to get a reaction but thankfully they haven't lasted and those that get offended for others u usually find Tim they delete regularly

over a year ago

That other thread really got to you huh?

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan
over a year ago

Tipperary

Speak your mind always. it's an easy thing to do and not against the law.

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

"Just wondering how certain people can make comments about other site users and pass it off as a joke.But if some others made the same comments about them they would be hanged drawn and quartered.It would appear to be ok to make fun of certain people as long as it's not one of the popular people here.

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

Now, there is a difference between teasing, having a laugh or making a tongue in cheek remark ...and then there's bringing someone down a notch in order to make you look good which I don't agree with

Being on here neigh on eight years and cant say I seen to many ridiculed for being a newbie or posting bar those that totally feck up on thread on reflection most are welcomed with open arms

At one stsge there was a few that loved to throw the clique accusation about in order to get a reaction but thankfully they haven't lasted and those that get offended for others u usually find Tim they delete regularly "

---------------

It's one thing having a laugh...

...but when I arrived on the forums a few years ago myself, I had sections of my profile examined & quoted here and was then called "mentally unhinged" by a white knight here...

until I called him out about it...

To which he then back tracked and backed down

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

(and I don't play a violin... more a flute man myself )

but that was my experience

So to any newbie out there who feels there is a clique or they're being ridiculed or picked out...

I'd say stay strong, fight your corner and call out a few people directly on their comments

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

...oh yeah & have fun!

over a year ago

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

At one stsge there was a few that loved to throw the clique accusation about in order to get a reaction but thankfully they haven't lasted and those that get offended for others u usually find Tim they delete regularly

---------------

...but when I arrived on the forums a few years ago myself, I had sections of my profile examined & quoted here and was then called "mentally unhinged" by a white knight here...

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

So to any newbie out there who feels there is a clique or they're being ridiculed or picked out...

I'd say stay strong, fight your corner and call out a few people directly on their comments

"

Quite true, some guys are on here just to look good and go with the popular folk and fear being an out cast... Fook that speak your mind but don't be an ass about it

By *orguyMan
over a year ago

Tuam

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

"

Have to agree with you Tim.

The forum has changed alot over the past few years.

There was a nasty core here at one stage made up of both men and women waiting to jump on anybody new or they didn't like.

Thankfully most have either been banned, left or don't get any heed anymore.

The forums is more welcoming now for new members which is how it should be.

over a year ago

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

"

Also happened me a couple of times in my early days here. I got terrible things said to me and about me here on forums. It used to bother me, but now, honestly I couldn't give a toss. For me to be offended by someone i have to first value their opinion, and more often than not I dont.

By *hocoholicWoman
over a year ago

The big D

Ppl have the right to their opinion but they don’t always need to tell us. Ppl have the right to free speech doesn’t mean u always have to say it & what about the right I have to not listen to some shite ppl talk. Alot of ppl think they’re entitled & that they are more important if they’re louder & more opinionated than others, they can just be loud arseholes. Btw I’m thinking of ppl in my vanilla life, not aimed at any1 particular on fab.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan
over a year ago

Tipperary

"Ppl have the right to their opinion but they don’t always need to tell us. Ppl have the right to free speech doesn’t mean u always have to say it & what about the right I have to not listen to some shite ppl talk. Alot of ppl think they’re entitled & that they are more important if they’re louder & more opinionated than others, they can just be loud arseholes. Btw I’m thinking of ppl in my vanilla life, not aimed at any1 particular on fab. "
people can speak their opinion on all life's matters. You have the choice whether you want to listen, engage or ignore.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

There was a nasty core here at one stage made up of both men and women waiting to jump on anybody new or they didn't like.

The forums is more welcoming now for new members which is how it should be."

Cant say thats being my experience but everybody exoeriences are different

over a year ago

"You mean like in real life?

Online we don’t have to see the response and emotional reaction to what we say so we become desensitised. Assuming there is a response.

However, a person who otherwise feeds stray kittens and is Avery lovely person can make an ill advised, off the cuff remark (or react to someone else’s) and be branded for life as the internet is forever...

Also bear in mind how much tone, speed and body language plays into human communication - we loose that online more than in writing as it’s generally less thought out so we can read into things as worse than intended.

On top of all this we have the in group, out group dynamics at work psychologically - this plays a huge roll here where there is a huge perceived competition and we are literally separated into groups with greater or lesser perceived “value”, it’s like a caste system at times!"

wow makes sense, but it kinda sucks

By *orguyMan
over a year ago

Tuam

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

Cant say thats being my experience but everybody exoeriences are different"

No worries CJ. It wasn't my experience either. But, like many others here I did observe a nasty core who ridiculed and tried to belittle many others, especially anybody they felt threatened by. This was mainly a small few women backed up by a few guys trying to win their favour.

Many good people were driven away by them but as I said earlier most are either banned now or don't participate much. You may have noticed a number of old regulars are no longer active on here.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

No worries CJ. It wasn't my experience either. But, like many others here I did observe a nasty core who ridiculed and tried to belittle many others, especially anybody they felt threatened by. This was mainly a small few women backed up by a few guys trying to win their favour.

Many good people were driven away by them but as I said earlier most are either banned now or don't participate much. You may have noticed a number of old regulars are no longer active on here."

But like that i used to be a prolific poster and dont post as much now its not that I am bored but the dynamics have swung as they do in real life all the time. Yes i agree there was a few nasty people here but as I have said theres enough strong minded people to fend them off and no matter what we think big brother is watching and recording the mis endavours of fourmites. Case in fact the op has done his usual poke the fire and fly trick for those of us here long enough have a fair idea of the trolls and those sound profiles here only a short time learn fast even the naive grow

By *he SophisticatsCouple
over a year ago

York

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

Many good people were driven away by them but as I said earlier most are either banned now or don't participate much. You may have noticed a number of old regulars are no longer active on here.

But like that i used to be a prolific poster and dont post as much now its not that I am bored but the dynamics have swung as they do in real life all the time. Yes i agree there was a few nasty people here but as I have said theres enough strong minded people to fend them off and no matter what we think big brother is watching and recording the mis endavours of fourmites. Case in fact the op has done his usual poke the fire and fly trick for those of us here long enough have a fair idea of the trolls and those sound profiles here only a short time learn fast even the naive grow

"

By *igBlondeDommeWoman
over a year ago

middle of nowhere

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

"

Well said C.J . The regulars are not fooled easily. They know what's what.

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

Well said C.J . The regulars are not fooled easily. They know what's what."

I'm regular, every morning like clockwork

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

----------------------

So my solution...

I GREW A BACKBONE

---------------

So, open arms to all???

No, not exactly

I'm not complaining here

Well said C.J . The regulars are not fooled easily. They know what's what.

I'm regular, every morning like clockwork "

Hard to pull the wool over u yoss

Post new Message to Thread