Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

“Just need to smile”

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Grrrrr, just shared a face pic... the response? “Beautiful. You just need to smile”. So much for my attempts at sultry!!

Instant block for the most laddish advice men all over the world feel the need to give women.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"Grrrrr, just shared a face pic... the response? “Beautiful. You just need to smile”. So much for my attempts at sultry!!

Instant block for the most laddish advice men all over the world feel the need to give women.

"

What a plonker

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Lol must remember not to tell you to smile

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

And men wonder why they can’t get meets.

over a year ago

I’m the same never smile in photos .

By *cottybear74Man
over a year ago

kilkenny

"Grrrrr, just shared a face pic... the response? “Beautiful. You just need to smile”. So much for my attempts at sultry!!

"

His loss.... What a dope

over a year ago

I'm guilty of saying this to afew men I don't mean it in a bad way but sometimes they can look like they are going to kill someone . I must remember to keep my opinions to myself

Mrs

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

Not so much advice Op, just offering a solution

My ex once told me she was considering having a breast reduction...

Being the compassionate bf I was, told her she could lift weights & make her back bigger instead!

over a year ago

Why do men feel the need to say that to women?

PS: as my lovely other half pointed out, your man wasn’t smiling in his pic

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

No gentlemen left on here!

Just sex craved ones

over a year ago

I'm a gentleman lol

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

Dam, one left

over a year ago

"Dam, one left

"

I'm sure I'm not alone

over a year ago

I get told that alot actually, well the need to smile part anyway.

I have never found it that insulting to be honest

over a year ago

To be brutally honest the line is more usually used on women and it smacks of something very different, that I can’t quite describe, (an unwitting reminder of the patriarchy perhaps?) to when it is generally said tongue in cheek to a man.

Either way it grinds my gears to the max!

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

Personally I'd rather see a pic of someone not smiling. I feel you get a better idea of what they look like in reality.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I don't get the problem at all. What's wrong with someone complimenting you but basically implying you'd look even better with a smile? I'd have answered him to come over and make me smile. Have some good will and don't take yourself too seriously. I don't envie the manfolk on here.

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"To be brutally honest the line is more usually used on women and it smacks of something very different, that I can’t quite describe, (an unwitting reminder of the patriarchy perhaps?) to when it is generally said tongue in cheek to a man.

Either way it grinds my gears to the max!"

Oh I couldn’t agree more. It’s like a master/slave or control type comment. This may suit subs but you need to be on the same page for that commentary

over a year ago

"To be brutally honest the line is more usually used on women and it smacks of something very different, that I can’t quite describe, (an unwitting reminder of the patriarchy perhaps?) to when it is generally said tongue in cheek to a man.

Either way it grinds my gears to the max!

Oh I couldn’t agree more. It’s like a master/slave or control type comment. This may suit subs but you need to be on the same page for that commentary "

Ah really?

So Women say it its tongue in cheek a Guy says it its some type of attempt to dominate.

I mean how you feel the comment was ment only you can say depending on the context of the messages, but maybe I need to start blocking people who tell me nice pics butt.....

over a year ago

Ah,don't let the poor social skills of others trigger you.

By *avidc2019Man
over a year ago

dublin

There’s always 1 I’d ignore that comment

over a year ago

"

What is wrong with this advice?

Do not take it so seriously. I also use this to the people and ask them to smile often.

My dear smiling and laughing is the cheapest medicine on the world and most people will look much better when smiling.

As someone mentioned it, without a smile some people look as a serial killers

over a year ago

"I don't get the problem at all. What's wrong with someone complimenting you but basically implying you'd look even better with a smile? I'd have answered him to come over and make me smile. Have some good will and don't take yourself too seriously. I don't envie the manfolk on here. "
finally someone with common sense ,the op needs to get over herself and the brown nose guys aswell

over a year ago

Do not take it so seriously. I also use this to the people and ask them to smile often.

My dear smiling and laughing is the cheapest medicine on the world and most people will look much better when smiling.

As someone mentioned it, without a smile some people look as a serial killers"

And some people look like serial killers with a smile

over a year ago

"the op needs to get over herself and the brown nose guys aswell "

Thanks for the reality check

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"Ah,don't let the poor social skills of others trigger you."

If it is poor social skills, would you mind explaining to me why? Because I truly don't get it. I think it's reading way too much into it.

over a year ago

"Ah,don't let the poor social skills of others trigger you.

If it is poor social skills, would you mind explaining to me why? Because I truly don't get it. I think it's reading way too much into it."

Because it's a subtle put down in some ways - you'd look better if only....,and also I do get where the op is coming from, "smile love" is a building site catcall,you don't know if someone has just be given a terminal diagnosis or heard of a family death,it's usually not intended as a compliment,but as a bigging oneself up in front of the lads.I doubt I'm alone in having experienced this frequently as a younger woman both here and in the UK

That's why I said don't let it be a trigger, the guy didn't know any better and probably really believed it was complimentary.

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

I don’t see how some groups of people on here jump on a persons opinion of who they should block for any reason and then the same group can slate someone of a different sex for a similar opinion. IMO if someone wants to say something and you don’t agree with it then say you don’t agree and move on. Why feel the need to tell them there opinion is wrong and then proceed to tell them what their opinion should be!

I’m ok with getting publicly harassed for this post as I’m not easily offended and don’t take the group abuse to heart. But others may not be like me and peeps should keep this in mind when targeting particular profiles. That kind of a stance can drive genuine people off the site or even worse.

Just my twopence worth. Dissect the abuse this way and not at others please. The brown nose here can take it.

By *wingme22Man
over a year ago

Galway

Personally I like to see a lady smiling in a pic.

As you would hope she would be if you meet face to face, or on a play meet, if she not smiling then you are doing something wrong.

The worst thing in the world is some one sending you a pic with them doing the fucking fish lips thing. No one looks good doing this!!

over a year ago

"Personally I like to see a lady smiling in a pic.

As you would hope she would be if you meet face to face, or on a play meet, if she not smiling then you are doing something wrong.

The worst thing in the world is some one sending you a pic with them doing the fucking fish lips thing. No one looks good doing this!!"

You didn't like my trout pout then?

over a year ago

I’ve always had the ‘why so serious’ brigade at me over the years. Never bothered me. I use a smiley pic now when messaging as I just prefer it...and it makes feck all difference. So it’s far from just a man thing.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

"I'm guilty of saying this to a few men I don't mean it in a bad way but sometimes they can look like they are going to kill someone . I must remember to keep my opinions to myself

Mrs "

I've done this too. There were a few Face Pic Friday threads I took part in and felt like I was looking through a book of mugshots. Wild, intense stares and glares into the camera, and when I've passed comment about the lack of an inviting smile, I was told they were going for a smouldering or sultry look...

Tbh, I don't think any of us can take a smouldering/sultry selfie. Men or women. That's something in us that only another person can capture... When we try to do it ourselves we end up looking like the FBI's most wanted wall.

So my advice to anyone is to smile... It looks far more inviting than 'I have a bag of lye, a shovel and a chloroform rag in my car/I'm holding in an explosive fart', or have someone else take the pic!

PS OP, I was once told I looked 'retarded' in one of my face pics... I haven't used it since

By *antona33Man
over a year ago

collon

I’d say the op block list must be in the 100s if they block a person for telling them to smile

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan
over a year ago

Tipperary

Very hard do a big smile when taking a selfie.

over a year ago

"Very hard do a big smile when taking a selfie."

Of course,it feels (and often looks) as fake as it is.

By *wingme22Man
over a year ago

Galway

The worst thing in the world is some one sending you a pic with them doing the fucking fish lips thing. No one looks good doing this!!

You didn't like my trout pout then? "

Not even yours !

over a year ago

"

I've done this too. There were a few Face Pic Friday threads I took part in and felt like I was looking through a book of mugshots. Wild, intense stares and glares into the camera, and when I've passed comment about the lack of an inviting smile, I was told they were going for a smouldering or sultry look...

Tbh, I don't think any of us can take a smouldering/sultry selfie. Men or women. That's something in us that only another person can capture... When we try to do it ourselves we end up looking like the FBI's most wanted wall.

So my advice to anyone is to smile... It looks far more inviting than 'I have a bag of lye, a shovel and a chloroform rag in my car/I'm holding in an explosive fart', or have someone else take the pic!

PS OP, I was once told I looked 'retarded' in one of my face pics... I haven't used it since "

Some of us look like deranged goldfish when we smile

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

"... So my advice to anyone is to smile... It looks far more inviting than 'I have a bag of lye, a shovel and a chloroform rag in my car/I'm holding in an explosive fart', or have someone else take the pic!

PS OP, I was once told I looked 'retarded' in one of my face pics... I haven't used it since

Some of us look like deranged goldfish when we smile "

Bob?? Is that you????

over a year ago

"I don’t see how some groups of people on here jump on a persons opinion of who they should block for any reason and then the same group can slate someone of a different sex for a similar opinion. IMO if someone wants to say something and you don’t agree with it then say you don’t agree and move on. Why feel the need to tell them there opinion is wrong and then proceed to tell them what their opinion should be!

"

I dont get this post.

Is the whole point of a forum not to discuss different opinions and debate points?

Also whats the difference between genders?

Are you saying if the OP was amle everyone would be agreeing with them?

over a year ago

I love how these forum conversations some how lose there way! I’m sure anyone lucky enough to receive a face pic from Ms Bash should be thanking there lucky stars.

over a year ago

"I love how these forum conversations some how lose there way! I’m sure anyone lucky enough to receive a face pic from Ms Bash should be thanking there lucky stars.

"

I agree I prefer when people use forums to shamlessly try to flirt regardless of the point

over a year ago

"I’d say the op block list must be in the 100s if they block a person for telling them to smile "

Funnily enough just the one for that. The rest are there for being asses

By *wingme22Man
over a year ago

Galway

Not even yours !

I prefer your orgasm face....

"

over a year ago

Not even yours !

I prefer your orgasm face....

"

I definitely don't want to see that one myself

By *antona33Man
over a year ago

collon

"I’d say the op block list must be in the 100s if they block a person for telling them to smile

Funnily enough just the one for that. The rest are there for being asses "

in my opinion it’s quite harsh blocking someone who was only trying to put a smile on your face each to their own eh

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

If it is poor social skills, would you mind explaining to me why? Because I truly don't get it. I think it's reading way too much into it.

Because it's a subtle put down in some ways - you'd look better if only....,and also I do get where the op is coming from, "smile love" is a building site catcall,you don't know if someone has just be given a terminal diagnosis or heard of a family death,it's usually not intended as a compliment,but as a bigging oneself up in front of the lads.I doubt I'm alone in having experienced this frequently as a younger woman both here and in the UK

That's why I said don't let it be a trigger, the guy didn't know any better and probably really believed it was complimentary."

Although you could think sometimes that fab is a building site it's not. There's no work pals that could hear you bigging yourself up when sending a pm. It's your association that pulls it completely into another context.

Imo it was clearly meant as a compliment and to string more banter.

Anyhow I'm smiling here and happy fabbing!"

over a year ago

That's why I said don't let it be a trigger, the guy didn't know any better and probably really believed it was complimentary.

Although you could think sometimes that fab is a building site it's not. There's no work pals that could hear you bigging yourself up when sending a pm. It's your association that pulls it completely into another context.

Anyhow I'm smiling here and happy fabbing!""

That was my point,it's the association,hence the trigger.

And of course,that peculiarly Irish trait of not being able to give a compliment without including a sting in the tail,in case the recipient gets ahead of themselves

By *antona33Man
over a year ago

collon

Anyhow I'm smiling here and happy fabbing!""

this exactly well said

over a year ago

As someone mentioned it, without a smile some people look as a serial killers

And some people look like serial killers with a smile "

Like you or myself?

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"I don’t see how some groups of people on here jump on a persons opinion of who they should block for any reason and then the same group can slate someone of a different sex for a similar opinion. IMO if someone wants to say something and you don’t agree with it then say you don’t agree and move on. Why feel the need to tell them there opinion is wrong and then proceed to tell them what their opinion should be!

I dont get this post.

Is the whole point of a forum not to discuss different opinions and debate points?

Are you saying if the OP was amle everyone would be agreeing with them?"

Oh I agree! The forum is a discussion ground for opinion. My post is about when an opinion isn’t agreed with why should one person tell the original on what there opinion should be? That’s not a discussion that’s a band wagon.

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

And of course,that peculiarly Irish trait of not being able to give a compliment without including a sting in the tail,in case the recipient gets ahead of themselves "

I thought the Irish trait was not being able to take a compliment like a typical response to a compliment in Ireland is,

“Go way, sure your only messing”

over a year ago

"the op needs to get over herself and the brown nose guys aswell

Thanks for the reality check "

it's a great wee smile

over a year ago

I dont get this post.

Are you saying if the OP was amle everyone would be agreeing with them?

Oh I agree! The forum is a discussion ground for opinion. My post is about when an opinion isn’t agreed with why should one person tell the original on what there opinion should be? That’s not a discussion that’s a band wagon. "

I think its just how some people make their points.

Yes people arent as open to hearing each otherels point of view as you'd like.

Id rather people tell each other what they should think that the other extreme of only posting when people agree.

over a year ago

And of course,that peculiarly Irish trait of not being able to give a compliment without including a sting in the tail,in case the recipient gets ahead of themselves

I thought the Irish trait was not being able to take a compliment like a typical response to a compliment in Ireland is,

“Go way, sure your only messing” "

One results from the other, people are afraid to take a compliment at face value as they await the almost inevitable kicker.

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

I hate taking pics of myself.

I either look like a miserable f**k or if I attempt to smile I feel awkward and it shows in the pics.

It's the reason I have few pics on my profile.

I need to get a personal photographer to catch me at my good moments

over a year ago

"I hate taking pics of myself.

I either look like a miserable f**k or if I attempt to smile I feel awkward and it shows in the pics.

I need to get a personal photographer to catch me at my good moments "

You have the moody artist look nailed

over a year ago

Am waitin on my new teeth before I try.

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

You have the moody artist look nailed "

More like trying too hard to be cool

over a year ago

More like trying too hard to be cool "

Oh but you pull it off,that's the thing!

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

Oh but you pull it off,that's the thing!"

We still talking about pics?

over a year ago

Oh but you pull it off,that's the thing!

We still talking about pics? "

over a year ago

A little ott I think. Hope that guy is not on the forums. He said smile I dont think it's that bad a request. I've had worse.

Post new Message to Thread