Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Notre Dame fire

Jump to newest

By *eralt80 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

Anyone seeing the news. Shocking footage at the moment.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ommando4Man
over a year ago

South Co. Dublin

Yes...truly awful....what a tragedy for everyone...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

So sad to see it. Do they know what happened?

over a year ago

Awful, the rose windows are destroyed and the spire completely collapsed.

The equivalent here would be if Trinity with the book of Kells was destroyed by a fire.

By *eralt80 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

Not sure yet what happened, but seemed to be building work and scaffolding around the building.

By *lucard5Man
over a year ago

kerry capital

Another huge historic icon gone. So gutting.

over a year ago

Yes i see that

I am frenchie

over a year ago

What a loss

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Very sad.

By *DSGCouple
over a year ago

That place in

Very sad, a beautiful building,visited it years ago

over a year ago

You have to feel for the people of Paris

So sad

over a year ago

Primark Belfast ne one ?

over a year ago

"Awful, the rose windows are destroyed and the spire completely collapsed.

The equivalent here would be if Trinity with the book of Kells was destroyed by a fire."

thats so true . Its horrible watching it burn

By *avidc2019Man
over a year ago

dublin

Terrible

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

very sad im afraid the whole building destroyed .

By *adrqMan
over a year ago

monaghan

I am gutted think it is to

over a year ago

I'm certainly no fan of religion especially the catholic religion but objectively speaking it was a stunning piece of architecture. A very sad event indeed.

over a year ago

As a fan of great architecture and history this was an incredible loss for the French and for the world a great landmark that is lost

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

I thought most Irish people would be happy for it to be destroyed.

over a year ago

"I thought most Irish people would be happy for it to be destroyed."

??

over a year ago

Why ???

By *ick manMan
over a year ago

Longford

It’s such a shame history that can never be replaced

over a year ago

Main structure saved but the spire collapsed

By *rezMan
over a year ago

Mungret

It's a terrible news. Such an icon and French people's pride. Gone.

By *assionfruitfunCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

Why would think that ? This building is a lot more than a religious place of worship (and as a non-religious person i see no justification in ever burning or destroying such places). It is a symbol of the best France has to offer the world, from stunning gothic architecture to litterature (Hugo). It has witnessed 800 years of my nation's history from the wars of religion to the revolution and the liberation from the Nazis. I felt shocked and physically wounded watching it burn...

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple
over a year ago

ireland

Tragic

over a year ago

"I thought most Irish people would be happy for it to be destroyed.

Why would think that ? This building is a lot more than a religious place of worship (and as a non-religious person i see no justification in ever burning or destroying such places). It is a symbol of the best France has to offer the world, from stunning gothic architecture to litterature (Hugo). It has witnessed 800 years of my nation's history from the wars of religion to the revolution and the liberation from the Nazis. I felt shocked and physically wounded watching it burn..."

The cathedral is more than a religious place it is a monument of european and world culture it was painful see it destroyed

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Your pseudo controversial posts are often very much out of place and tasteless like this one.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan
over a year ago

Tipperary

Saw the building once when in Paris while In primary school. Not much memory of it but alot seem to have gone there.

By *eralt80 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

I’m sure they will do a better job of rebuilding it than we have with the new children’s hospital.

over a year ago

Not an easy job rebuild something like that , we had a huge fire ages ago that took a great area of old lisbon , it got rebuilt but not the same thing anymore , this seems like the same issue there was renewal works going on and one feecking eejit left a blow torch on

By *eralt80 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"Not an easy job rebuild something like that , we had a huge fire ages ago that took a great area of old lisbon , it got rebuilt but not the same thing anymore , this seems like the same issue there was renewal works going on and one feecking eejit left a blow torch on "

Similar to what happened the primark building in Belfast.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

It's a shame it happened, but it will be repaired. The spire itself was only a relatively recent addition to the cathedral, and statues, etc., had been removed prior to the current restorations. Lots of the features in the cathedral aren't original, due to damage caused during the French revolution, various insurrections and most recently during Nazi occupation during WWII. The cathedral, like so many architectural landmarks around the world has been damaged and rebuilt many times throughout history.

Notre Dame will be rebuilt and restored again, and the contributions and changes made by its future architects as a result of the fire, will eventually become part of its treasured history too

over a year ago

"It's a shame it happened, but it will be repaired. The spire itself was only a relatively recent addition to the cathedral, and statues, etc., had been removed prior to the current restorations. Lots of the features in the cathedral aren't original, due to damage caused during the French revolution, various insurrections and most recently during Nazi occupation during WWII. The cathedral, like so many architectural landmarks around the world has been damaged and rebuilt many times throughout history.

Notre Dame will be rebuilt and restored again, and the contributions and changes made by its future architects as a result of the fire, will eventually become part of its treasured history too "

Hopefully if they rebuilt it they pick someone that tries to plan what was there instead of going all "modern" and end up destroy a great monument

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

"It's a shame it happened, but it will be repaired. The spire itself was only a relatively recent addition to the cathedral, and statues, etc., had been removed prior to the current restorations. Lots of the features in the cathedral aren't original, due to damage caused during the French revolution, various insurrections and most recently during Nazi occupation during WWII. The cathedral, like so many architectural landmarks around the world has been damaged and rebuilt many times throughout history.

Notre Dame will be rebuilt and restored again, and the contributions and changes made by its future architects as a result of the fire, will eventually become part of its treasured history too

Hopefully if they rebuilt it they pick someone that tries to plan what was there instead of going all "modern" and end up destroy a great monument "

Each time it has been rebuilt, extended or renovated it has been in line with a 'modern' plan, at the time of its execution. Even its current gothic incarnation replaced the original romanesque church that stood there, because gothic architecture was the modern craze at the time. The addition of modern features to any long-standing structure or building might seem discordant with its historic value, but let's not forget that modern additions someday become historic features during the continued evolution of a much-loved building or structure. The Louvre Pyramid was once considered a modern aberration, but now, just 30 years later, is as iconic as the building itself.

By *eralt80 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

Hopefully if they rebuilt it they pick someone that tries to plan what was there instead of going all "modern" and end up destroy a great monument

Each time it has been rebuilt, extended or renovated it has been in line with a 'modern' plan, at the time of its execution. Even its current gothic incarnation replaced the original romanesque church that stood there, because gothic architecture was the modern craze at the time. The addition of modern features to any long-standing structure or building might seem discordant with its historic value, but let's not forget that modern additions someday become historic features during the continued evolution of a much-loved building or structure. The Louvre Pyramid was once considered a modern aberration, but now, just 30 years later, is as iconic as the building itself. "

As a UNESCO world heritage site I’d imagine they can’t change it too much.

over a year ago

Who cares. Isreal bombing the shit outta Palestinians everyday. You won't hear that on the news

over a year ago

Apparently ubisoft have offered their services as they have an accurately recreated 3D digital model of the church that they used in AC:Unity that can be used as a template, possibly utilising BIM or something similar

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"I thought most Irish people would be happy for it to be destroyed.

Your pseudo controversial posts are often very much out of place and tasteless like this one. "

Offensive is people screaming for christian symbols to be removed from Irish buildings, Christian buildings to be torn down, and then failing to acknowledge that Notre Dame is first and foremost a place of worship, and treating it as nothing more than a pretty building that they wont be able to look at for a while.

Its sad it caught fire because its the spiritual heart of paris and france for hundreds of years. It's gone through all of it with them.

Your pseudo concern for some architectural features is more tasteless than my legitimate concern for the spiritual heart of Paris.

over a year ago

Daily Mail is gonna quote a source from O2 in tomorrow’s edition . Apparently, the GPS of Theresa Mays phone showed it was in Notre Dame 20 mins before the fire started. Up yours Macron

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"Daily Mail is gonna quote a source from O2 in tomorrow’s edition . Apparently, the GPS of Theresa Mays phone showed it was in Notre Dame 20 mins before the fire started. Up yours Macron"

I have heard some mad conspiracy theories so far.

One was that five typos in us military tweets spell out "IS in EU", as in ISIS are in the EU" and that proves that ISIS did it.

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

Great news that the rose windows were saved

That building was/is remarkable given its multiple restorations. The spire is a relatively new addition although still a great loss

By *ateniteCouple
over a year ago

Youghal

One eye witness says he didn't see who statred the fire,but he has a hunch.

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

"Daily Mail is gonna quote a source from O2 in tomorrow’s edition . Apparently, the GPS of Theresa Mays phone showed it was in Notre Dame 20 mins before the fire started. Up yours Macron"

Na man. It was clearly the work of Varg Vikernes.

He's been living in France a good few years now.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Seems strange to me that in the lounge there are all sorts of theories and jokes being posted, and even some in this thread, but people single out a comment saying "I don't think irish people care about a building burning down" as beyond the pale.

I honestly would have never guessed Irish people were emotionally invested in architectural features of Paris.

I stand corrected, I retract my statement, and I back away from the discussion.

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

"Seems strange to me that in the lounge there are all sorts of theories and jokes being posted, and even some in this thread, but people single out a comment saying "I don't think irish people care about a building burning down" as beyond the pale.

I honestly would have never guessed Irish people were emotionally invested in architectural features of Paris.

I stand corrected, I retract my statement, and I back away from the discussion."

If I'm honest I don't care too much about the building as long as there were no casualties or fatalities.

Sure the building itself was built on the ruins of a Pagan temple that was purposely burned to the ground by Christians.

over a year ago

"Seems strange to me that in the lounge there are all sorts of theories and jokes being posted, and even some in this thread, but people single out a comment saying "I don't think irish people care about a building burning down" as beyond the pale.

I stand corrected, I retract my statement, and I back away from the discussion."

Not caring about something happening and being happy about as yoir original post said are two different things surely?

For instance I dont really care that it burned down, however its doesnt give me any joy either

over a year ago

"One eye witness says he didn't see who statred the fire,but he has a hunch."

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

"One eye witness says he didn't see who statred the fire,but he has a hunch."

Did something ring a bell?

over a year ago

"One eye witness says he didn't see who statred the fire,but he has a hunch.

Did something ring a bell? "

O lads

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

One is called black humour, the other a provocation to offend.

By *ommando4Man
over a year ago

South Co. Dublin

I was appalled by the tragedy of this event and the terrible damage to such an iconic building and symbol of Paris. Thankfully nobody was hurt and it looks like the facade and walls escaped destruction. It will be rebuilt I'm sure and undergo a new phase of its 800 year old existence.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Structurally it looks sound..its just the interior thats gone..im sure itll be restored to its full glory

By *illbillMan
over a year ago

dublin

??????

over a year ago

the money being promised by some people is obscene...recent natural disasters causing human tragedies, people displaced due to war & the Red Cross are lucky if they get a couple of million, there are day appeals by Aid Organisations looking for money... yet a church burns down & money floods in...people should be before buildings

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

"the money being promised by some people is obscene...recent natural disasters causing human tragedies, people displaced due to war & the Red Cross are lucky if they get a couple of million, there are day appeals by Aid Organisations looking for money... yet a church burns down & money floods in...people should be before buildings"

You'd imagine the Vatican would be able to sort it out wouldn't you?

I hear they have a few bob lying around.

over a year ago

Phew... at least they saved the..... the..... whatsitcalled.... the Game of Thrones...... No that’s not it.... erm.... errr.... oh yeah; The Crown of Thorns thingy

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 17/04/19 17:13:39]

By *andydevineMan
over a year ago

sligo

Save nature not structures.

Post new Message to Thread