Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Is it OK.....?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not to feel OK...??

Is the stigma around mental health alive and well?

"Put up and shut up"

"You've made your bed"

"Don't be a whinge/moan"

Negative comments have more staying power..

Where have you turned when not feeling OK?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I generally try to turn to mates or to any form of exercise. Even chatting to them helps and meeting for coffee and things like that.

Exercise wise, anything that gets me moving and cuts down on my thinking is good for me

over a year ago

It's perfectly acceptable to not feel OK, in fact it's healthy mental health is not a fixed thing it's a scale and we all have good and bad days, I think the country is starting to slowly open up remove that stigma

Trust me it's something I've been trying to do for years, I'm a massive mental awareness advocate

over a year ago

"I generally try to turn to mates or to any form of exercise. Even chatting to them helps and meeting for coffee and things like that.

Exercise wise, anything that gets me moving and cuts down on my thinking is good for me"

Yep.. friends are the best.

Also cutting out negative people helps me too

over a year ago

It's okay not to feel okay.

It is at those moments we find true friends in unexpected places.

Friends that may not last a lifetime, maybe not even a week or a day, but compassionate souls who can relate or simply listen.

When you're not okay, you (don't mean you personally, OP) often feel alone, often shut off the world yourself and then complain that no one cares.

I do that all the time, yet fail to simply lift my phone to ask my own friends how they are doing and what's going on in their life and maybe get involved.

Stress of every day life gets to all of us at one point or another and there's moments where you think that nobody would ever understand what you're going through. Bottom line is - nobody needs to understand or walk alongside to make it better , most times just a shoulder to cry on and showing that you care goes a long long way.

If we all instead of posting all of the pointless arguments would just go into our phone books, pick one person, who we used to care about but lost touch for any reason and sent them a nice text, just to remind them that we're still here for them if they ever need anything - we would all make the world a better place. Small part of the world, for a tiny little moment, but better and that's all that matters.

Peace

over a year ago

It is becoming more common people presenting with mental health issues. Some people think they are weak to admit they have a problem but in saying that more people are willing to talk about it now,which in my opinion is a move in the right direction for this country. Some people find friends and family are best to talk to others find strangers are easier to talk to. Whichever works for the individual is fine as long as they do talk

over a year ago

Lovely post missus

over a year ago

"Lovely post missus "

over a year ago

"It's okay not to feel okay.

Friends that may not last a lifetime, maybe not even a week or a day, but compassionate souls who can relate or simply listen.

When you're not okay, you (don't mean you personally, OP) often feel alone, often shut off the world yourself and then complain that no one cares.

I do that all the time, yet fail to simply lift my phone to ask my own friends how they are doing and what's going on in their life and maybe get involved.

Stress of every day life gets to all of us at one point or another and there's moments where you think that nobody would ever understand what you're going through. Bottom line is - nobody needs to understand or walk alongside to make it better , most times just a shoulder to cry on and showing that you care goes a long long way.

If we all instead of posting all of the pointless arguments would just go into our phone books, pick one person, who we used to care about but lost touch for any reason and sent them a nice text, just to remind them that we're still here for them if they ever need anything - we would all make the world a better place. Small part of the world, for a tiny little moment, but better and that's all that matters.

Peace "

well said

over a year ago

I spend a fair chunk of time every day at work listening to colleagues and their problems. But I'm not good at sharing my own in that environment.

Last year there were a few here who really helped me through a tough patch and for that I am very very grateful

over a year ago

"I spend a fair chunk of time every day at work listening to colleagues and their problems. But I'm not good at sharing my own in that environment.

Last year there were a few here who really helped me through a tough patch and for that I am very very grateful"

Indeed, I could never possibly show my colleagues and staff any weaknesses... it's different when you're on a same level with someone else tho

over a year ago

"I spend a fair chunk of time every day at work listening to colleagues and their problems. But I'm not good at sharing my own in that environment.

Last year there were a few here who really helped me through a tough patch and for that I am very very grateful

Indeed, I could never possibly show my colleagues and staff any weaknesses... it's different when you're on a same level with someone else tho "

Exactly

over a year ago

I think a lot of us, can always give advice and listen to other peoples problems and help them through them but always harder to help ourselves. Like if someone came to you with the same things as ourselves it would be easier to help them. Agree with not wanting to show weaknesses to others

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Having a chat with someone who is not feeling ok, can sometimes help and even potentially save them....

If your feeling not ok tell someone ive learnt bottling feeling emotions really does not help.... we come alone way with mental health awareness... the person always laughing and smiling is not always feeling that inside.

over a year ago

I think most people these days would be very open to listening and supporting someone having mental health issues.

I dont believe as a sociaty we are comfortable being the ones opening up. I dont think it os from a stigma related to mental health as much as a broader mindset of keeping your issues behind closed doors.

Its why I hate seeing people question of places like this are the right places for people to look for help/advice.

Sometime they are the only olaces people feel anonomys enough but still have a sense of connection to someone

over a year ago

"Having a chat with someone who is not feeling ok, can sometimes help and even potentially save them....

If your feeling not ok tell someone ive learnt bottling feeling emotions really does not help.... we come alone way with mental health awareness... the person always laughing and smiling is not always feeling that inside. "

Also to anyone that does want to chat about any problems, I'm always here for people. Mightn't offer much bar an ear to listen and get anything off your chest

over a year ago

The stigma is definitely alive and well! But we're getting there slowly but surely.

over a year ago

"The stigma is definitely alive and well! But we're getting there slowly but surely. "

Yeah like think of where it's come from the last ten years say and imagine where it could be in another 10. Onwards and upwards hopefully, it's a start but only a start

By *nowy007Woman
over a year ago

Near Enough

It is perfectly OK to feel not OK. The important thing is to look after yourself, be kind to yourself, surround yourself with good people who you can talk to and who don't judge, go walking, take in some nature. And rest. I have found in times like this, my body, mind and soul needs rest. I know easier said than done, but if you can, take time for yourself. It is so important. Take care.

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

"I generally try to turn to mates or to any form of exercise. Even chatting to them helps and meeting for coffee and things like that.

Exercise wise, anything that gets me moving and cuts down on my thinking is good for me"

---------

100% agree

Just having a friend to listen to and nothing else can be so so important.

There's also so much to be said about exercise whether it's a yoga class or pummeling the shit out of a punch bag

Finding inspiration as well whether in music, a film or going somewhere uplifting can also help put things in perspective...

Has for me anyway

over a year ago

Talk, talk and talk...

Don't keep it in, that's unhealthy and negative thoughts can grow legs.

We've all been there x

over a year ago

"Talk, talk and talk...

We've all been there x"

It’s amassing how the mind can play tricks and even work against itself, talking about your problems to someone can so easily lead you to a different view of them and very often see them fade away altogether

over a year ago

"Talk, talk and talk...

We've all been there x

It’s amassing how the mind can play tricks and even work against itself, talking about your problems to someone can so easily lead you to a different view of them and very often see them fade away altogether "

Ya and during these times what does your brain tell you?

Avoid everyone, people are the problem... if you ignore them all it will be alright.

Fuck you brain!

over a year ago

As everyone has said, its ok not to feel ok. However, even knowing all is not well and that there are support systems there, mental health issues by their very nature can sometimes make it very difficult to open up in the first instance. The first step is the hardest. Thats where the real strength comes into play; expressing your pain for the first time.

over a year ago

"It's okay not to feel okay.

Peace "

over a year ago

I love how this thread turned from others potential intolerance to reflection of ourselves shutting off from potential solutions.

Admitting to yourself, nevermind anyone else that you may need help is often the hardest step.

over a year ago

Showing weakness in a genuine and honest way is the greatest strength most of us avoid grasping. It is possibly the single most common reason we take longer in moving forward in healing too.

Why is it we see it's strength while helping others yet avoid it in ourselves? Me thinking out loud.

over a year ago

The first step is the hardest. That initial "actually hold I'm not ok here" .

I have heard it all

Oh pull yourself together

There are so many people worse off than you

What have u got to be depressed about

But one therapist I spoke with explained it so well.

"Your cloud is your cloud, it might be bigger or smaller, brighter or duller than the person next to you, but it's yours and to you it's huge,"

We need to stop comparing our lives to other people's, social media is brutal for it, everyone living the "perfect life" all smiles etc but let's be honest none of us post the bad stuff, none of us post that pic of us falling apart.

The few things I have learnt in last few years, it is ok to not be ok, it's okay to cry, sit on your bathroom floor and cry, taking huge gulps of air thinking you are going to die. But instead of wallowing in it, let it pass, get up and start afresh, whether it's opening the windows and putting your favourite music on. Spending time with family or friends, getting out into the fresh air, exercise. Remove toxic people from your lives even if they family.

I keep a gratitude journal and post one thing everyday, some people or books etc recommend 3-5 things a day but I think one is enough. Small steps etc.

But most importantly remember you are not alone and someone loves you.

And for anyone who is friends with someone who struggles with their mental health, why not reach on, whether it's a text or phone call. Pop a card in the post ( we don't do this anymore but I love getting cards in the post) buy them flowers or a small thing that you know they like.

By *nowy007Woman
over a year ago

Near Enough

"The first step is the hardest. That initial "actually hold I'm not ok here" .

I have heard it all

Oh pull yourself together

There are so many people worse off than you

What have u got to be depressed about

But one therapist I spoke with explained it so well.

"Your cloud is your cloud, it might be bigger or smaller, brighter or duller than the person next to you, but it's yours and to you it's huge,"

We need to stop comparing our lives to other people's, social media is brutal for it, everyone living the "perfect life" all smiles etc but let's be honest none of us post the bad stuff, none of us post that pic of us falling apart.

The few things I have learnt in last few years, it is ok to not be ok, it's okay to cry, sit on your bathroom floor and cry, taking huge gulps of air thinking you are going to die. But instead of wallowing in it, let it pass, get up and start afresh, whether it's opening the windows and putting your favourite music on. Spending time with family or friends, getting out into the fresh air, exercise. Remove toxic people from your lives even if they family.

I keep a gratitude journal and post one thing everyday, some people or books etc recommend 3-5 things a day but I think one is enough. Small steps etc.

But most importantly remember you are not alone and someone loves you.

And for anyone who is friends with someone who struggles with their mental health, why not reach on, whether it's a text or phone call. Pop a card in the post ( we don't do this anymore but I love getting cards in the post) buy them flowers or a small thing that you know they like.

"

Love this, and the gratitude journal is a great idea, think I will try it

By *iiboyMan
over a year ago

Tankardstown

"Not to feel OK...??

Is the stigma around mental health alive and well?

"Put up and shut up"

"You've made your bed"

"Don't be a whinge/moan"

Negative comments have more staying power..

Where have you turned when not feeling OK? "

As i work in mental health i can say the stigma is alive and well but losing its grip , that said, there are a lot out there who need to use the service and dont , the majority of stuff we deal with now in young people is psychosis triggered by cannabis use , while a lot of the anxiety issues triggered by various factors but upto and including online bullying etc goes untreated, theres a lot of abuse of the system also by players trying to avoid prison time

Post new Message to Thread