Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Anyone have Tendonitis tips?

Jump to newest

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

So it would seem I have a case of Achilles Tendonitis, probably due to overdoing it with all the football and running.

Apart from the obvious of resting the foot and using ice packs on it as well as taking non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen do any of you have any other recommendations to help the healing process?

I'm also ok with people cracking jokes. Could do with a laugh with this pain I'm in. Lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Rest obviously ... don't aggravate it ... when healed enough, try strengthening exercises ...

By *ondalingerMan
over a year ago

City center

When i was playing, the physio insisted on walks in the sea.

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

"When i was playing, the physio insisted on walks in the sea. "

Straigh out?

By *laymates30Couple
over a year ago

The West

You can pick up a foam roller fairly cheaply, then try rolling your whole calf area twice a day. Once you’re on the mend, roller the area before and after every workout when you start getting back into your excercise routine.

By *ondalingerMan
over a year ago

City center

"When i was playing, the physio insisted on walks in the sea.

Straigh out? "

By *addy0Man
over a year ago

carlow town

If your running good distance if haven't done already invest in a good expensive of runners you'd be surprised the difference,I find good under armour ones very good,expensive but hey your health is ur wealth

over a year ago

"If your running good distance if haven't done already invest in a good expensive of runners you'd be surprised the difference,I find good under armour ones very good,expensive but hey your health is ur wealth "

Or Brooks they are excellent. And proper running socks too. For football us a strapping, bit of support.

By *antra MassageMan
over a year ago

south side

You have simply over-used your tendon. So, stop doing the activity that causes the injury. If you're strong and healthy, your body will heal itself fairly quickly, but wait till your completely pain free before going running again. Just one foot? I wonder are you running on roads where there is a camber? If so, one leg and foot has to travel a different distance to the other, and both feet land at different angles. It causes lots of knee and ankle problems. Hope you are fit again soon.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"Rest obviously ... don't aggravate it ... when healed enough, try strengthening exercises ... "

Ah yeah, good point, I must read up on strengthening exercises.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"When i was playing, the physio insisted on walks in the sea. "

The sea is a bit far for me plus with this injury I doubt I could drive far.

Would it not also be too cold?

Wonder would the swimming pool help instead though.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"You can pick up a foam roller fairly cheaply, then try rolling your whole calf area twice a day. Once you’re on the mend, roller the area before and after every workout when you start getting back into your excercise routine."

A foam roller? Forgive my ignorance as I haven't heard of them before. What does it do exactly and where would I likely be able to buy one?

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"If your running good distance if haven't done already invest in a good expensive of runners you'd be surprised the difference,I find good under armour ones very good,expensive but hey your health is ur wealth "

Yeah I totally agree with you. I never mind forking out for good running shoes with good support that are well cushioned.

I suspect the culprit may be my football boots. Did two different training sessions on Thursday evening with two different teams and I suspect the support in my football boots is not great. Time to invest in a new pair. Gel insoles mightn't be a bad idea either.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"If your running good distance if haven't done already invest in a good expensive of runners you'd be surprised the difference,I find good under armour ones very good,expensive but hey your health is ur wealth

Or Brooks they are excellent. And proper running socks too. For football us a strapping, bit of support. "

Strapping also might be a good idea. I'll look into that.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"You have simply over-used your tendon. So, stop doing the activity that causes the injury. If you're strong and healthy, your body will heal itself fairly quickly, but wait till your completely pain free before going running again. Just one foot? I wonder are you running on roads where there is a camber? If so, one leg and foot has to travel a different distance to the other, and both feet land at different angles. It causes lots of knee and ankle problems. Hope you are fit again soon. "

Yeah I run so many varying routes. May rest for a while before going again.

over a year ago

"You can pick up a foam roller fairly cheaply, then try rolling your whole calf area twice a day. Once you’re on the mend, roller the area before and after every workout when you start getting back into your excercise routine.

A foam roller? Forgive my ignorance as I haven't heard of them before. What does it do exactly and where would I likely be able to buy one?"

How have you not years of this devil lol. Argos or any decent sports shop sells them, different textures and softness available. Look them up and check out videos online.

By *ussyseeker777Man
over a year ago

kilkenny

stand on step (say door step)put all ur weight on it for 15 seconds then rest and continue doing it for 20 goes, do about 5 of these a day

By *unnitoesWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

I feel your pain, I have tendonitis in my shoulder and it is agony

I swear by Tiger Balm(the dark amber one), apply generously but make sure you either use a glove or really scrub your hands afterwards....in case you touch any tender parts of your body afterwards!!

over a year ago

"You can pick up a foam roller fairly cheaply, then try rolling your whole calf area twice a day. Once you’re on the mend, roller the area before and after every workout when you start getting back into your excercise routine.

A foam roller? Forgive my ignorance as I haven't heard of them before. What does it do exactly and where would I likely be able to buy one?

How have you not years of this devil lol. Argos or any decent sports shop sells them, different textures and softness available. Look them up and check out videos online. "

Work a treat, work for my sciatica too.

over a year ago

"Wonder would the swimming pool help instead though."

The pool would help you stay active with less weight bearing on your Achilles. Look on YouTube, bound to be a rehab video for Achilles and the pool, might be worth trying for a while

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

How have you not years of this devil lol. Argos or any decent sports shop sells them, different textures and softness available. Look them up and check out videos online. "

I grew up in a period where if something was wrong with ya then you would just "Walk it off" or "Get up and get on with it".

I'm definitely not walking this off. Lol

My body has usually always been quite resilient and heals well naturally so never really used items or accessories much.

I'll look into rollers though. Think this could be my body telling me I'm not as young as I once was.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"stand on step (say door step)put all ur weight on it for 15 seconds then rest and continue doing it for 20 goes, do about 5 of these a day"

Might give that a try once I heal. Right now I can't walk up the steps properly. Have to hop. Can't put weight on this bad foot at all.

over a year ago

How have you not years of this devil lol. Argos or any decent sports shop sells them, different textures and softness available. Look them up and check out videos online.

I grew up in a period where if something was wrong with ya then you would just "Walk it off" or "Get up and get on with it".

My body has usually always been quite resilient and heals well naturally so never really used items or accessories much.

I'll look into rollers though. Think this could be my body telling me I'm not as young as I once was."

To speed the process, you can:

Rest your leg. ...

Ice it. ...

Compress your leg. ...

Raise (elevate) your leg. ...

Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. ...

Use a heel lift. ...

Practice stretching and strengthening exercises.

About as simple as you can get. I must start back doing the strengthening exercises, I had a complete rupture in 2012 and it still gives me bother.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"I feel your pain, I have tendonitis in my shoulder and it is agony

I swear by Tiger Balm(the dark amber one), apply generously but make sure you either use a glove or really scrub your hands afterwards....in case you touch any tender parts of your body afterwards!! "

Ah I hadn't thought of tiger balm. Must try that. Sounds like a good idea.

Yeah I know all too well about tiger balm. I remember about ten years ago living with housemates and we used to prank each other all the time. He put tiger balm on my bedroom door handle which I ended up rubbing in my eye. He also put some in my boxers.

Was payback though for worse pranks I had played on him. Lol

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"Wonder would the swimming pool help instead though.

The pool would help you stay active with less weight bearing on your Achilles. Look on YouTube, bound to be a rehab video for Achilles and the pool, might be worth trying for a while"

Sounds like a plan. I have a swimming pool just round the corner from me.

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

I'll look into rollers though. Think this could be my body telling me I'm not as young as I once was.

To speed the process, you can:

Rest your leg. ...

Ice it. ...

Compress your leg. ...

Raise (elevate) your leg. ...

Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. ...

Use a heel lift. ...

Practice stretching and strengthening exercises.

About as simple as you can get. I must start back doing the strengthening exercises, I had a complete rupture in 2012 and it still gives me bother. "

Yep I'm doing most of them things already. Guess I just have to be patient and let the healing take it's course.

By *verage Joe BlackMan
over a year ago

Border Area

OK, lots of advice on here; some good, some generic, some trying to be helpful but lacking specific experience.

I am a long time achilles sufferer. From the point i damaged both (yes both) achilles - one turning into chronic achilles - until i was able to run again, was 18 months. The rehab work was 3-4 times a week for that entire time - i’m pretty dedicated like that.

I’m not a medical professional, but i will relate to you what i learned and worked in my specific case. Please google everything i relate to satisfy yourself.

1) The achilles is the largest tendon in the body and has limited/slow bloodflow through it. Therefore the usual RICE principles largely dont apply (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

2) It will take a long time to heal to be able to be active again but if you are an older athlete (30s, 40s, 50s), you will not get rid of it completely. As long as you exercise you will have to continue some remedial work.

3) Achilles injuries often come from weakened calf muscles. Hence the reason they strike older athletes more. Rehab involves strengthening woth specific slow work and eventually progressing to ballistic work.

4) Step 1: Heel drops. Stand on a step with the ball of your foot making contact with the edge. Push up with both feet then lift the ‘good’ foot, and lower yourself with the ‘bad’ leg until heel is as far down as you can go. Repeat for 10 reps, then do good side (to ensure strength balance maintained). Aim to build this up over a few weeks to 25 reps per side. You should do this 3-4 times per week.

5) once built up to 25, start doing sets. Aim is to so 3 sets of 25 on each leg. Then build in sets of “bent knee” heel drops too as there are two sets of calf muscles.

6) Next build in toe walks (40m walking on your toes; 2-3 sets)

6) When you can achieve this easily, you need to start doing ballisric (explosive) work. Skipping is the easiest. Double leg skips then single leg skips, intermingled. Build up slowly.

Woth each of these DO NOT overdo it. Your calves are key to fixing your achilles. If you do what i have suggested above, take your time and are patient, you will fix your ackilles injury. But it will take many months.

Lastly, foam rolling with a foam roller that has grooves all the way round the cylinder face is the best (hence rolls woth the grain of the calf tissue). And start taking magnesium supplement. 400mg once a day helps to keep the calf specifically in good shape. Try live strong dot com for more info.

Good luck. Having been through it, i dont envy whats ahead of you

By *verage Joe BlackMan
over a year ago

Border Area

Oh, one last thing: none of the above is my opinion - it was learnrdd from spending £1000s on physios, podiatrists and other specific health professionals.

By *unnitoesWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

"Oh, one last thing: none of the above is my opinion - it was learnrdd from spending £1000s on physios, podiatrists and other specific health professionals. "

Any advice on a shoulder injury?

By *verage Joe BlackMan
over a year ago

Border Area

"Oh, one last thing: none of the above is my opinion - it was learnrdd from spending £1000s on physios, podiatrists and other specific health professionals.

Any advice on a shoulder injury? "

...would you believe me if i said ‘yes’..??!!

over a year ago

"OK, lots of advice on here; some good, some generic, some trying to be helpful but lacking specific experience.

I am a long time achilles sufferer. From the point i damaged both (yes both) achilles - one turning into chronic achilles - until i was able to run again, was 18 months. The rehab work was 3-4 times a week for that entire time - i’m pretty dedicated like that.

I’m not a medical professional, but i will relate to you what i learned and worked in my specific case. Please google everything i relate to satisfy yourself.

1) The achilles is the largest tendon in the body and has limited/slow bloodflow through it. Therefore the usual RICE principles largely dont apply (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

2) It will take a long time to heal to be able to be active again but if you are an older athlete (30s, 40s, 50s), you will not get rid of it completely. As long as you exercise you will have to continue some remedial work.

3) Achilles injuries often come from weakened calf muscles. Hence the reason they strike older athletes more. Rehab involves strengthening woth specific slow work and eventually progressing to ballistic work.

4) Step 1: Heel drops. Stand on a step with the ball of your foot making contact with the edge. Push up with both feet then lift the ‘good’ foot, and lower yourself with the ‘bad’ leg until heel is as far down as you can go. Repeat for 10 reps, then do good side (to ensure strength balance maintained). Aim to build this up over a few weeks to 25 reps per side. You should do this 3-4 times per week.

5) once built up to 25, start doing sets. Aim is to so 3 sets of 25 on each leg. Then build in sets of “bent knee” heel drops too as there are two sets of calf muscles.

6) When you can achieve this easily, you need to start doing ballisric (explosive) work. Skipping is the easiest. Double leg skips then single leg skips, intermingled. Build up slowly.

Woth each of these DO NOT overdo it. Your calves are key to fixing your achilles. If you do what i have suggested above, take your time and are patient, you will fix your ackilles injury. But it will take many months.

Lastly, foam rolling with a foam roller that has grooves all the way round the cylinder face is the best (hence rolls woth the grain of the calf tissue). And start taking magnesium supplement. 400mg once a day helps to keep the calf specifically in good shape. Try live strong dot com for more info.

Good luck. Having been through it, i dont envy whats ahead of you "

Wouldn't have considered myself older or an athlete lol

By *unnitoesWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

"Oh, one last thing: none of the above is my opinion - it was learnrdd from spending £1000s on physios, podiatrists and other specific health professionals.

...would you believe me if i said ‘yes’..??!!"

Of course I would

over a year ago

Retire.. young mans game.

Take up the bike less impact.

By *verage Joe BlackMan
over a year ago

Border Area

Of course I would "

Ok; should is a big structure - whereabouts are you having the problem..? I’ve had three very different shoulder problems and the rehab is different for all three...

By *ustin-Sider OP   Man
over a year ago

Belfast

"OK, lots of advice on here; some good, some generic, some trying to be helpful but lacking specific experience.

Good luck. Having been through it, i dont envy whats ahead of you "

This is excellent detailed information and seems like it will definitely come in handy. Thanks very much for taking the time to type it all. Deeply appreciated.

By *verage Joe BlackMan
over a year ago

Border Area

"OK, lots of advice on here; some ....

This is excellent detailed information and seems like it will definitely come in handy. Thanks very much for taking the time to type it all. Deeply appreciated."

One last thing: i didnt explain the heel drops particularly well. Look up youtube videos on how to do properly as they are key to recovery.

over a year ago

Cheap miracle painrelief.

Udder mint. Pick up at local farm shop or amazon for like 15 quid for a massive tube.

Very soothing. Potent mint smell, it is meant for animals... But people and myself swear by it. Puts tiger balm to shame. Lol

over a year ago

https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/89407/how-a-natural-product-for-sore-udders-ended-up-on/

Or version made for hooman lol

By *unnitoesWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

Of course I would

Ok; should is a big structure - whereabouts are you having the problem..? I’ve had three very different shoulder problems and the rehab is different for all three..."

Supraspinatus tendonitis....

By *un17Man
over a year ago

Ennis

Anybody have it in the elbow??? Have it for years and can never get rid of it best I can do is keep it at bay

over a year ago

If it's in your leg/foot area, sometimes a hip correction can help. Any good physio can do it. It just take a second and pops your hip in place. Sometimes, the pain is caused somewhere else in the body but the tendons are over compensating so the result ends u elsewhere.

By *adeenoMan
over a year ago

Longford

"You can pick up a foam roller fairly cheaply, then try rolling your whole calf area twice a day. Once you’re on the mend, roller the area before and after every workout when you start getting back into your excercise routine."

Really good advice ^^

Rest and compression and rub to keep blood flowing into it to speed up recovery! An injury that can take awhile to fully get right! You will also have to do some rehab exercises to get back full motion and to make sure it does not reoccur!

By *e r usCouple
over a year ago

derry

Aspirin not really a NSAI ask GP for Naproxen but not if you have stomach problems can be taken with Omeprazole to help with stomach. Taken with Paracetamol more effective in short term. Don't mask problem with painkillers as can make problem worse.

Post new Message to Thread