Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

League of Ireland

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With the new seasons curtain raiser tomorrow with Cork v Dundalk in Turners Cross just wanted to see what people thought for the year?

Do many go to the games? Follow a team?

What’s your predicted table? Any surprises? Signing of the season potentially?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think it will be a tough year for Cork City. Lost some influential players and can't see the same quality has replaced what left. Will be interesting to see how Dundalk do without Stephen Kenny.

over a year ago

Would agree, a lot of turnover in both Cork and Dundalk which hopefully add to an interesting league and see can the other teams step up to put pressure on the top two

over a year ago

"Would agree, a lot of turnover in both Cork and Dundalk which hopefully add to an interesting league and see can the other teams step up to put pressure on the top two"

What do you of think of the recruitment by Waterford ?

over a year ago

I miss Kildare County.

By *he rover returnedWoman
over a year ago

xxx

Go wan da town

over a year ago

I think Dundalk were smart appointing Perth, kept continuity. Also, kept the majority of the squad.

However, it is going to be interesting. Should be tight with a few teams this year. Pats have recruited well.

Waterford have a good player if fit in Chevdukas now.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/02/19 15:42:27]

over a year ago

"Go wan da town "

Rover you are now my fave person! Hehe

over a year ago

As a long suffering sligo rovers fan (except from 2009 to 2013) I hope the end results aren't as predictable as other years

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

"Go wan da town "

I think you mean utd

By *aiseanagusspraoiMan
over a year ago

city

Waterford FC fan here

We suffered greatly in the past

But thanks to the new owner and his millions the good times are back

over a year ago

Longford for div1

over a year ago

I'm a Galway Utd supporter as it's my home county. Hope to get to a few games this season even though watching can be penance at times.

By *ussieGMan
over a year ago

Ireland

I’d be a Rovers man myself (The real Rovers) Great game to get started against Bohs . Every year I think we’ll be in the shake up and then we fall apart so no expectations this year ...

over a year ago

"I’d be a Rovers man myself (The real Rovers) Great game to get started against Bohs . Every year I think we’ll be in the shake up and then we fall apart so no expectations this year ..."

Rovers have a decent side, but not gonna lie, Bradley isn’t the man for the job!

Get a good manager and you will be flying!

over a year ago

Finn harps to stay up....hopefully

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Trust shels do well... And happier times occur for athlone..

Looks like no expansion this year... Who would you like to see elected and could hold their own.. Castlebar or tralee..?

By *odernLoveDublinMan
over a year ago

dublin

"I’d be a Rovers man myself (The real Rovers) Great game to get started against Bohs . Every year I think we’ll be in the shake up and then we fall apart so no expectations this year ..."

Except you dont start again Bohs. Its third game in before you play us

By *odernLoveDublinMan
over a year ago

dublin

"Trust shels do well... And happier times occur for athlone..

Looks like no expansion this year... Who would you like to see elected and could hold their own.. Castlebar or tralee..? "

I think Westport have more of a football tradition than Castlebar.

Id like to see Tralee have a go for sure & Kilkenny back perhaps.

over a year ago

I feel its going to be a struggle for any clubs to form. They have tried bring clubs in, in the past and it hasn’t worked.

However a more wide spread around the country would be amazing!

over a year ago

"Trust shels do well... And happier times occur for athlone..

Looks like no expansion this year... Who would you like to see elected and could hold their own.. Castlebar or tralee..? "

Always said if Castlebar came in they would get a big following from around mayo. Could do well after a couple of years.

St. Pats should do well this year.

In the first division I'm hoping Galway United do well, looks like a good young squad.

over a year ago

Get to a few games up here. Wouldn’t class myself as a die hard tho.

Looking forward to seeing how decky fairs out this season

over a year ago

Hopefully the good times are back at Waterford,bring it on

over a year ago

Anyone any interest in an all Ireland league? Don't think it's even being discussed but interested in people's thoughts.

By *lan5200Man
over a year ago

cavan

Do you ever see the league progressing and getting to a better standerd ?

By *uckoldDesiresMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"Anyone any interest in an all Ireland league? Don't think it's even being discussed but interested in people's thoughts. "

I think there are too many suits worried about their roles if the IFA and FAI merged. Not to mention clubs going from 8 European places, (and the money that goes with) down to 4.

Cant see if happening unless a United Ireland was to force their hand.

It probably makes sense in many ways but not in a financial way unless the public were to come out in numbers to back the clubs, and with the present day infatuation with all things English when it comes to football, I cant see that happening unfortunately.

over a year ago

You're probably spot on there, just something I'd like to see. If not, should be more games between the two leagues as I think it's good to compare the standards and gauge where teams are

By *aiseanagusspraoiMan
over a year ago

city

A very undeserved winner for Rovers tonight

Kelly the ref was shocking

over a year ago

"A very undeserved winner for Rovers tonight

Kelly the ref was shocking"

Undeserved? Dominated the game

By *aiseanagusspraoiMan
over a year ago

city

No way lol

By *aucyladMan
over a year ago

Dublin

Dundalk to be fair will continue to try and play good fotball.They have put a good structure in place there.I still think defensively they are open particularly at centre half but they protect the ball so well its not often seen.Cork have had alot of moving in and out,Kevin o connor back for abit is a big addition but again firepower up top is a big concern.I think Shamrock Rovers will pose a threat this year,good squad but Bradley isn't the man to lead them.Jack Byrne is a big signing for them.Great to see ex sligo man Rafa Cretaro going to Harps...could ve a long season though for them.Id hope UCD could do well and survive altho Daire o connor going to city is a loss for them creatively.Bohs will again be inconsistent,altho their fans are great supporters.

In terms of new teams,its hard to say,Tralee have a solid set up,wouldnt be lost at all in 1st division but financially would they want to move up to it.

over a year ago

Kelly the ref was shocking"

Huh? It was a one one draw...

Oh sorry. You meant Shams didn't you....

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Dundalk to be fair will continue to try and play good fotball.They have put a good structure in place there.I still think defensively they are open particularly at centre half but they protect the ball so well its not often seen.Cork have had alot of moving in and out,Kevin o connor back for abit is a big addition but again firepower up top is a big concern.I think Shamrock Rovers will pose a threat this year,good squad but Bradley isn't the man to lead them.Jack Byrne is a big signing for them.Great to see ex sligo man Rafa Cretaro going to Harps...could ve a long season though for them.Id hope UCD could do well and survive altho Daire o connor going to city is a loss for them creatively.Bohs will again be inconsistent,altho their fans are great supporters.

In terms of new teams,its hard to say,Tralee have a solid set up,wouldnt be lost at all in 1st division but financially would they want to move up to it."

Gartland has been a great defender this past few years but his legs are gone..evident from last night game also what was evident was the poor standard of football..the mistakes that were made..miss passes..fresh air kicks when open on goal..its akin to division 2 football in england ..thats the standard its at but hey its ours so get behind it all the way

By *adylover321Man
over a year ago

navan

RAWA

over a year ago

Kelly the ref was shocking

Huh? It was a one one draw...

Oh sorry. You meant Shams didn't you.... "