Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Mindfulness

Jump to newest

By *eebaw OP   Man
over a year ago

As the topic states did you ever do it or try it and if so whats yer opinion ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I find it incredibly difficult to do this... hard to slow the madness down tbh

over a year ago

Yep try to do it every day, it's not easy but it definitely works to calm the mind down

over a year ago

I think everyone has differing opinions on it's usefulness.

On the same token, everyone finds different things that work for them so each to their own. If it works then stick at it, if it doesn't try something different and maybe it works.

over a year ago

It can be very difficult to switch off your mind, it's easier for me first thing in the morning before the day's activity kicks in.

over a year ago

Try Tolle's the Power of Now, some of it is pseudo-religous nonsense, but the basic message of being in the moment is powerful

over a year ago

Overthinking is my issue but it's usually dictated sometimes by our life and society we in

Everything is go go go... Turns my life upside down. And dark places

Mindfulness helps in some ways... Pieta House recommended an app to me called Headspace

Also doctors are trying some CBT on me too which helps somehow

over a year ago

"Overthinking is my issue but it's usually dictated sometimes by our life and society we in

Mindfulness helps in some ways... Pieta House recommended an app to me called Headspace

Also doctors are trying some CBT on me too which helps somehow"

I must try headspace again... I keep nodding off though

over a year ago

Overthinking is my main problem too. A million thoughts for every little thing. I haven't researched mindfulness but I try and stay active, like going for walks and really like just having a quiet time with no phone or distractions and just sit in silence

By *uriousallyWoman
over a year ago

Tipperary

Mindfulness means different things to people. We cannot shut off our brain but what we can do is train ourselves to pay more attention to the present moment and using our breat to self regulate and sooth ourselves but this doesnt just happen overnight its takes continued practice. Small changes can really pay off and make a difference..

By *eebaw OP   Man
over a year ago

"Overthinking is my issue but it's usually dictated sometimes by our life and society we in

Also doctors are trying some CBT on me too which helps somehow"

Yea thats the app i was recomended too its hard to keep at it i find i just cant settle the mind . I was told about the CBT before too do you find it good ?

Amazeing how many people think the same or have mad raceing minds and yet we just think were the only one when were stuck in a rut .

over a year ago

I do yoga classes and the teacher talks us through a breathing exercise which really zones me out. Different things work for different people.

By *aucyladMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"Try Tolle's the Power of Now, some of it is pseudo-religous nonsense, but the basic message of being in the moment is powerful"

100% agree.its a game changer.Ive not finished the book since two years in but yet its helped me hugely.The mind shouldnt control you,you should control the mind. X

over a year ago

Also doctors are trying some CBT on me too which helps somehow

Yea thats the app i was recomended too its hard to keep at it i find i just cant settle the mind . I was told about the CBT before too do you find it good ?

Amazeing how many people think the same or have mad raceing minds and yet we just think were the only one when were stuck in a rut . "

CBT can be incredibly beneficial...finding a practitioner who is a good match makes or breaks it IMO. If over thinking and ruminating is something you struggle with, CBT can help break the cycle

over a year ago

The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters is great for helping understand how and why your mind works the way it does, once you understsnd it and can identify the paterns its easier to control

over a year ago

CBT and headspace are good but like someone said earlier

It's not about stopping them it's recognising them and how to deal in the now and not everything

I've been on anti depressants and it didn't suit as it took away the pain and head running but dulled my life and I didn't wanna live like this

So working on yourself is the main tool... I struggle all the tile as I'm sure a lot do here but find that peace in you and live for moment

One thing I'll always remember from my psychologist he said you are not your feelings

I'm not upset I'm feeling upset and i recognise why and I know it will pass

"I am not my feelings"

over a year ago

Just a message to everyone, inbox is always open to anyone for a chat about anything if it helps at all, I mightn't be any use but sometimes talking to someone else does help

By *antra MassageMan
over a year ago

south side

Yes, I practise being mindful when giving a massage. I'm totally present, listening, sensing,... When both me and the receiver are in that zone, it's a moving mindful meditation, and is an out of this world experience.

By *he rover returnedWoman
over a year ago

xxx

Its something i began a ciuple of years ago ...i meditate, journal and if im doing something important i try to do it mindfully. Ive great faith in it and in the benifits of it for our bodies, mind and soul

over a year ago

"Its something i began a ciuple of years ago ...i meditate, journal and if im doing something important i try to do it mindfully. Ive great faith in it and in the benifits of it for our bodies, mind and soul "

How do you find journaling? Something I've always heard about, also what would you write. I personally don't like writing about myself

over a year ago

xxx

I find pat Davilly hugly benifical .. ive put alot of his theories in to practice with great effect. Id recommend both his podcasts and his seminars to anyone

over a year ago

Thanks

over a year ago

For those struggling with mindfulness or the head space app (as it can be hard to focus for 5/10mins) starting with something simple like the 5,4,3,2,1 method... 5 things I can see, 4 things I can touch, 3 things I can smell, 2 things I can hear and 1 deep breath. It only takes minute or two but it can just calm your mind when it is racing.

over a year ago

"For those struggling with mindfulness or the head space app (as it can be hard to focus for 5/10mins) starting with something simple like the 5,4,3,2,1 method... 5 things I can see, 4 things I can touch, 3 things I can smell, 2 things I can hear and 1 deep breath. It only takes minute or two but it can just calm your mind when it is racing. "

sharing is caring

over a year ago

xxx

"Its something i began a ciuple of years ago ...i meditate, journal and if im doing something important i try to do it mindfully. Ive great faith in it and in the benifits of it for our bodies, mind and soul

How do you find journaling? Something I've always heard about, also what would you write. I personally don't like writing about myself "

Its not about writing about myself its about writing down whats in tour head....it could be anything but often its anxieties that come out. I suffered from crippiling anxiety for along time this is one way of controlling it without depending on drugs. I also gratitude journal most evenings...go to sleep thinking about what makes you happy not what upsets you. Positive mindset

over a year ago

xxx

"For those struggling with mindfulness or the head space app (as it can be hard to focus for 5/10mins) starting with something simple like the 5,4,3,2,1 method... 5 things I can see, 4 things I can touch, 3 things I can smell, 2 things I can hear and 1 deep breath. It only takes minute or two but it can just calm your mind when it is racing. "

This is my method ...i just use my voice and my bells now

over a year ago

Thanks again

over a year ago

xxx

"Thanks again"

Welcome ... give it a shot

over a year ago

"Thanks again

Welcome ... give it a shot "

Yeah every tiny detail can help.

Good eating habits, exercise, sleep, phone detox time, reading, podcasts, walks, friends, I find are good for me.

By *inn2000Woman
over a year ago

belfast

Great thread. Thank you x

over a year ago

xxx

"Thanks again

Welcome ... give it a shot

Yeah every tiny detail can help.

Good eating habits, exercise, sleep, phone detox time, reading, podcasts, walks, friends, I find are good for me. "

This is exactly it and dont forget time alone .. learn to love your own company .... learn to enjoy quiet

over a year ago

I'm probably too comfortable on my own lol and I love quiet time, I'm a pretty quiet person in general so used to quiet externally

over a year ago

xxx

"I'm probably too comfortable on my own lol and I love quiet time, I'm a pretty quiet person in general so used to quiet externally "

And internally ???? Thats the quiet im talking about....quiet mind

over a year ago

At times, but as you know it can be hard to get but I'm a work in progress, bit like the Sagrada Familia I'll never be done

over a year ago

xxx

"At times, but as you know it can be hard to get but I'm a work in progress, bit like the Sagrada Familia I'll never be done

"

None of us are ...thats the joy

over a year ago

And when you realise that, that's half the battle

over a year ago

xxx

"And when you realise that, that's half the battle "

See theres wisdom there in one so young

over a year ago

About all that's in there lol

over a year ago

xxx

"About all that's in there lol"

Lol.... i doubt it

over a year ago

You're too kind

over a year ago

xxx

"You're too kind"

Ahh im mean really

over a year ago

"You're too kind

Ahh im mean really "

I don't believe that, you might have to show me

over a year ago

xxx

"You're too kind

Ahh im mean really

I don't believe that, you might have to show me "

We could dicuss meditation tecniques

over a year ago

"You're too kind

Ahh im mean really

I don't believe that, you might have to show me

We could dicuss meditation tecniques "

Whatever you want

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

I've been getting more and more into this the last few months and all I'll say is like everything else, practice makes perfect.

I used to just accept that my brain was too over-active to ever find mindfulness.

I started with guided meditation videos on YouTube and it's been great.

I'm actually at a point now where I can stop what I'm doing at any point in the day and within 10-20 seconds become at ease by just focusing on breathing.

One important thing I've learned through reading up on the topic is that any negative emotions I experience aren't coming from an outside source, they're coming from my reaction to outside circumstances. I can't control what happens around me, but I can control how I perceive them and how I choose to react.

By *ineapple_PrincessWoman
over a year ago

in the waves

Great app called insight timer. Has all different lengths of guided meditations. You can search by topic or length. I'd highly recommend downloading... Its free. I've been using the app for a couple of years now and while it's always a work in progress... Regular practice helps and I do notice huge benefit to my mental health when I stick with it and practice daily.

By *kblueeyesCouple
over a year ago

kilkenny

"Great app called insight timer. Has all different lengths of guided meditations. You can search by topic or length. I'd highly recommend downloading... Its free. I've been using the app for a couple of years now and while it's always a work in progress... Regular practice helps and I do notice huge benefit to my mental health when I stick with it and practice daily. "

Think I'll give it a go, I had a CD years ago found guided meditation great to help sleep

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

"I do yoga classes and the teacher talks us through a breathing exercise which really zones me out. Different things work for different people. "

At in for count of four hold for four out slowly for four then hold for four

It's a great exercise being doing it for years

over a year ago

Also if anyone wants to just chat or vent I'm here

People have done so much for me in here already it's only fair I would return the favour

over a year ago

"As the topic states did you ever do it or try it and if so whats yer opinion ? "

Yes I found it helpful many many years ago as part of yoga. 5 yrs ago I then studied and trained in CBT mainly for personal interest as I worked with groups and teams and use mindfulness techniques as part of taught skills. Think it's something most people in our current western style of living could benefit from.

By *eijaWoman
over a year ago

City Centre

I'd highly recommend yoga keeps you mentally and physically strong

By *avie tCouple
over a year ago

otherside of nowhere

Firm believer here..mrs

over a year ago

"The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters is great for helping understand how and why your mind works the way it does, once you understsnd it and can identify the paterns its easier to control"

Great read

over a year ago

"The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters is great for helping understand how and why your mind works the way it does, once you understsnd it and can identify the paterns its easier to control

Great read "

I must read this, only heard good reports

over a year ago

"The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters is great for helping understand how and why your mind works the way it does, once you understsnd it and can identify the paterns its easier to control

Great read

I must read this, only heard good reports"

I can't recommend it enough. It's hard to put down.

Post new Message to Thread