Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Nurses strike

Jump to newest

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

I think they have a difficult job working in conditions that are not far off 3rd world standards..they deserve a pay rise...the money should be taken from Teachers and Garda as these are overpaid and cushy jobs...would you agree?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"

I think they have a difficult job working in conditions that are not far off 3rd world standards..they deserve a pay rise...the money should be taken from Teachers and Garda as these are overpaid and cushy jobs...would you agree?"

Here we go again. Ya the car crash that the gardai attended to in Donegal is part of their cushy job

over a year ago

Taking money off other sectors? Wtf?

over a year ago

"

I think they have a difficult job working in conditions that are not far off 3rd world standards..they deserve a pay rise...the money should be taken from Teachers and Garda as these are overpaid and cushy jobs...would you agree?"

I disagree. the money is there in the health service but it doesn't go where it should. it goes to the higher ups and to pay massive pensions. the HSE is bleeding money. cut the unessential people in there and you'll have saved a ton of money that can go where and who its needed by. to cut money from services like the cop or education is fairly stupid especially considering they did what the nurses are doing now to get the money they deserved

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"

My mother was a teacher for over 30 years and I can tell you that teaching is not a cushy job.

I can't imagine that Garda have cushy jobs either. You do realise that they put their lives at risk? I'd love to know what your sources are for your information. Lol

By *avidc2019Man
over a year ago

dublin

Wtf op really cushy jobs is that some kind of joke they are all front line services,I used to do security and worked along Garda nurses and most frontline services and I can tell you it’s not handy at all,I agree with you about nurses they defo deserve the pay rise but it should come out of the gangsters we the people voted in government no money for nurses but they get pay rise this year regardless of what other frontline departments need it’s shocking

over a year ago

"

Please tell me you're just saying this to stir the pot. Teachers and Garda are far from overpaid. It's the politicians that need a pay cut, doing fuck all half the year and giving themselves pay rises right left and centre.

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"

I think they have a difficult job working in conditions that are not far off 3rd world standards..they deserve a pay rise...the money should be taken from Teachers and Garda as these are overpaid and cushy jobs...would you agree?

Here we go again. Ya the car crash that the gardai attended to in Donegal is part of their cushy job "

Im sure they knew when they became guards that these are the situations they would have to deal with..have you been to an a&e lately..its bedlam..people lying on trolleys for 15 hours..nobody seems to know whats happening..mass confusion..if i worked in those conditions id go home angry..confused and stressed out..id need a pay rise

over a year ago

"

I disagree. the money is there in the health service but it doesn't go where it should. it goes to the higher ups and to pay massive pensions. the HSE is bleeding money. cut the unessential people in there and you'll have saved a ton of money that can go where and who its needed by. to cut money from services like the cop or education is fairly stupid especially considering they did what the nurses are doing now to get the money they deserved"

Top heavy management in hse, it needs to be run like a business and streamlined. The wages some of management are on is scandalous. Something seriously wrong when people have to fundraise to provide machines for our hospitals , seen fundraising done to provide beds for parents to sleep in while their child is in a hospital.

By *avidc2019Man
over a year ago

dublin

"

you need to research pay rate for Garda and teachers it’s not that good I earn more thank god average wage Is 35k per annum for both departments I wouldn’t say they are over payed for the job they do I’d say they are under payed,I wouldn’t do there job for that money would you ?

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"Taking money off other sectors? Wtf? "

Yea how else will they afford to give nurses a rise..take it off people who dont need it the teachers especially

over a year ago

"Taking money off other sectors? Wtf?

Yea how else will they afford to give nurses a rise..take it off people who dont need it the teachers especially "

Why not start with the payrise our government have just given themselves first

By *avidc2019Man
over a year ago

dublin

"

I disagree. the money is there in the health service but it doesn't go where it should. it goes to the higher ups and to pay massive pensions. the HSE is bleeding money. cut the unessential people in there and you'll have saved a ton of money that can go where and who its needed by. to cut money from services like the cop or education is fairly stupid especially considering they did what the nurses are doing now to get the money they deserved

Top heavy management in hse, it needs to be run like a business and streamlined. The wages some of management are on is scandalous. Something seriously wrong when people have to fundraise to provide machines for our hospitals , seen fundraising done to provide beds for parents to sleep in while their child is in a hospital. "

fully agree with you steph in fooking shocking but are gangster government still get there pay rise this year

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"

I disagree. the money is there in the health service but it doesn't go where it should. it goes to the higher ups and to pay massive pensions. the HSE is bleeding money. cut the unessential people in there and you'll have saved a ton of money that can go where and who its needed by. to cut money from services like the cop or education is fairly stupid especially considering they did what the nurses are doing now to get the money they deserved"

Thats a fair point ..consultants have the health service ruined getting paid a fortune for doing very little..pen pushing

over a year ago

"Taking money off other sectors? Wtf?

Yea how else will they afford to give nurses a rise..take it off people who dont need it the teachers especially "

Use the money they spend on agency staff for a start, get rid of a few layers of management, do a cul in the seanad and Dail...that would free up some wages money!

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"

Here we go again. Ya the car crash that the gardai attended to in Donegal is part of their cushy job

Im sure they knew when they became guards that these are the situations they would have to deal with..have you been to an a&e lately..its bedlam..people lying on trolleys for 15 hours..nobody seems to know whats happening..mass confusion..if i worked in those conditions id go home angry..confused and stressed out..id need a pay rise "

Im sure they knew when they became nurses that these are the situations they would deal with..... see what I did there?

over a year ago

"

Thats a fair point ..consultants have the health service ruined getting paid a fortune for doing very little..pen pushing "

no not consultants. retired top management and the desk jockeys who have no actual input into the services.

over a year ago

The sheer money that has been wasted on tribunals the last few years out of any of them how many have actually been charged with anything?

All the money we as taxpayers are to pay for the popes visit?

over a year ago

"

Top heavy management in hse, it needs to be run like a business and streamlined. The wages some of management are on is scandalous. Something seriously wrong when people have to fundraise to provide machines for our hospitals , seen fundraising done to provide beds for parents to sleep in while their child is in a hospital. "

its actual scary when you find where the money is going. A friend of mine trained as a nurse here, completed her training and did one year a fully qualified nurse in Dublin. she went to oz and was stunned at how well run the health service there was compared to Ireland where they blow through their budget due to overspending where there shouldn't be.

By *avidc2019Man
over a year ago

dublin

"

Top heavy management in hse, it needs to be run like a business and streamlined. The wages some of management are on is scandalous. Something seriously wrong when people have to fundraise to provide machines for our hospitals , seen fundraising done to provide beds for parents to sleep in while their child is in a hospital.

its actual scary when you find where the money is going. A friend of mine trained as a nurse here, completed her training and did one year a fully qualified nurse in Dublin. she went to oz and was stunned at how well run the health service there was compared to Ireland where they blow through their budget due to overspending where there shouldn't be."

that’s sounds about right a lot of nurses have left us which is a shame seen lots of nurses groups on Facebook today saying give us a reason to come back #wearebackingarenurses

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Cops are well overpaid, considering once they hit a high rank they refuse to pay for stuff like work on their home etc anymore. They take a lot of time off, and scam the overpay system.

Teachers are overpaid as they take maternity leave during the school year, and get paid for the summer holiday, so end up with massive amounts of time off.

The only reason people need to be paid more, is because the government is artificially inflating the cost of living by pushing up the price of property/rental. This is due to a lot of them running multiple rental properties or their families running them. They are also known not to pay for work they do.

Money is wasted in every sector, and that should be cut back, but after that, the cost of living issue should be tackled.

A city where a check out worker in tesco can not afford a one bedroom flat, with a separate bed/kitchen/living room, is a city where things are not being done for the people, but for profit. We broke free from the UK over issues to do with rental on farms, tenaments, and we allow a political party to take over who basically without any embarrassment wants us all to live in tenaments and for us to pay them every year to live on a farm passed down for generations.

over a year ago

"Cops are well overpaid, considering once they hit a high rank they refuse to pay for stuff like work on their home etc anymore. They take a lot of time off, and scam the overpay system.

Teachers are overpaid as they take maternity leave during the school year, and get paid for the summer holiday, so end up with massive amounts of time off.

The only reason people need to be paid more, is because the government is artificially inflating the cost of living by pushing up the price of property/rental. This is due to a lot of them running multiple rental properties or their families running them. They are also known not to pay for work they do.

Money is wasted in every sector, and that should be cut back, but after that, the cost of living issue should be tackled.

A city where a check out worker in tesco can not afford a one bedroom flat, with a separate bed/kitchen/living room, is a city where things are not being done for the people, but for profit. We broke free from the UK over issues to do with rental on farms, tenaments, and we allow a political party to take over who basically without any embarrassment wants us all to live in tenaments and for us to pay them every year to live on a farm passed down for generations."

You always show up talking a load of bollocks.

Teachers are overpaid as they take maternity leave during the school year? Every pregnant person is entitled to maternity leave at any time during their working life. Teachers also don't get regular holidays over the year, and often have to spend large portions of the school holidays working on things such as lesson plans and correcting exams.

By *he rover returnedWoman
over a year ago

xxx

"

God lord do they pay you to be an ass. Support nurses without knocking others .... you must be a divine saint then ??

over a year ago

"Cops are well overpaid, considering once they hit a high rank they refuse to pay for stuff like work on their home etc anymore. They take a lot of time off, and scam the overpay system.

Get the fucking boat !moron

A city where a check out worker in tesco can not afford a one bedroom flat, with a separate bed/kitchen/living room, is a city where things are not being done for the people, but for profit. We broke free from the UK over issues to do with rental on farms, tenaments, and we allow a political party to take over who basically without any embarrassment wants us all to live in tenaments and for us to pay them every year to live on a farm passed down for generations.

Teachers are overpaid as they take maternity leave during the school year? Every pregnant person is entitled to maternity leave at any time during their working life. Teachers also don't get regular holidays over the year, and often have to spend large portions of the school holidays working on things such as lesson plans and correcting exams."

over a year ago

Get the fucking boat !moron

Teachers are overpaid as they take maternity leave during the school year? Every pregnant person is entitled to maternity leave at any time during their working life. Teachers also don't get regular holidays over the year, and often have to spend large portions of the school holidays working on things such as lesson plans and correcting exams."

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

Imagine you had to fund Northern Ireland as well ??

By *ommando4Man
over a year ago

South Co. Dublin

As mentioned before we (the Tax payers) pay the equivalent of any 1st world country for our 3rd world health service. The front line nursing staff are underpaid and overworked and in no way the cause of this. Multiple levels of incompetent civil service HSE management and greedy consultants prioritising their private work are the cause in my view. MRSA is rife due to inadequate procedures and lax enforcement of hand hygiene...last time I was operated on I was stunned to see all the theatre staff swiping on their filthy mobile phones before working on my wounds and likewise nurses changing dressings after typing details on filthy germ infested computer keyboards. Our health service is broken... beyond repair...as the 600 people on trolleys in A&E will attest. We need a root and branch restructuring including taking on the vested interests such as consultants and HSE management.

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"

God lord do they pay you to be an ass. Support nurses without knocking others .... you must be a divine saint then ??"

At least i dont have my arse on show..go cover that up

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"Teachers are overpaid as they take maternity leave during the school year? Every pregnant person is entitled to maternity leave at any time during their working life. "

Not everyone gets a 3 month paid holiday when their maternity leave ends though do they? I mean engage your brain before replying to me.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

By *he rover returnedWoman
over a year ago

xxx

"

God lord do they pay you to be an ass. Support nurses without knocking others .... you must be a divine saint then ??

At least i dont have my arse on show..go cover that up "

Ohh look the cream of the crop is out tonight .... pmsl is that the best you can do. So come on what important job do you do wise one .. my arse btw will remain exactly where it is, you dont like gratuitous nudity maybe its you that should cover up ..

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"

its actual scary when you find where the money is going. A friend of mine trained as a nurse here, completed her training and did one year a fully qualified nurse in Dublin. she went to oz and was stunned at how well run the health service there was compared to Ireland where they blow through their budget due to overspending where there shouldn't be."

Sure nurses in australia get paid twice that of irish nurses but you have to remember the cost of living in oz is exorbitant but yes sounds like their health service runs like clockwork

over a year ago

Fuck FG, “If we capitulate to the nurses, all the other unions will expect to renegotiate”.

And rightly so.

There is no government policy to strip out pointless layers of bureaucracy or duplication of work anywhere in the civil service.

Operational efficiency at management level or even HR admin level across all civil service departments will free up budget for pay equality and lifestyle adjustments.

No one is lobbying for it and the unions are failing their members unfortunately.

over a year ago

"

Not everyone gets a 3 month paid holiday when their maternity leave ends though do they? I mean engage your brain before replying to me."

Teachers can chose to get paid over 9 months or 12. Most all pick 12 to budget. They get paid substantially less than other professions who require shorter training. I've started a similar argument with teacher friends (and still do to wind them up) but the shit conditions and abuse they have to put up with isn't worth any money imo.

over a year ago

"

Teachers can chose to get paid over 9 months or 12. Most all pick 12 to budget. They get paid substantially less than other professions who require shorter training. I've started a similar argument with teacher friends (and still do to wind them up) but the shit conditions and abuse they have to put up with isn't worth any money imo. "

Incorrect. Those on defined contracts are paid 12 months.

Those on undefined or maternity cover are paid for the academic year.

There is no picking or choosing, thankfully, as it would be payroll administration he’ll (see comment re lack of process automation above).

The department has decided this is how it will be, not the unions or teachers.

Another element that is conveniently forgotten is the time spent planning, correcting homework, then setting exam papers and correcting the output.

There is a reason we have all outsourced the education of our kids. Remember that the next time you flippantly want to wind your teacher friends up about 3 months holidays.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"Teachers can chose to get paid over 9 months or 12. Most all pick 12 to budget. They get paid substantially less than other professions who require shorter training. I've started a similar argument with teacher friends (and still do to wind them up) but the shit conditions and abuse they have to put up with isn't worth any money imo. "

I was a soldier, starting pay is like 15-20k, it wasn't with the Irish army, I was put through hellish conditions, and tbh, loved every minute of it.

I also worked cleaning toilets for a company. I would travel down all the restaurants/shops on a street and have to go in and clean toilet after toilet. I loved it. It was minium wage, but it was in a low cost of living area and it allowed me a lot of freedom.

So I am sure 35k for teaching kids basic maths and having to correct simple as fuck homework when you know the answers for 35k is a pretty cushy job. Specially when they all get 3 months, and some are taking 6-9 months off every year.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Teachers can chose to get paid over 9 months or 12. Most all pick 12 to budget. They get paid substantially less than other professions who require shorter training. I've started a similar argument with teacher friends (and still do to wind them up) but the shit conditions and abuse they have to put up with isn't worth any money imo.

I was a soldier, starting pay is like 15-20k, it wasn't with the Irish army, I was put through hellish conditions, and tbh, loved every minute of it.

I also worked cleaning toilets for a company. I would travel down all the restaurants/shops on a street and have to go in and clean toilet after toilet. I loved it. It was minium wage, but it was in a low cost of living area and it allowed me a lot of freedom.

So I am sure 35k for teaching kids basic maths and having to correct simple as fuck homework when you know the answers for 35k is a pretty cushy job. Specially when they all get 3 months, and some are taking 6-9 months off every year."

I'm guessing your kids are being home schooled then?

over a year ago

over a year ago

"

So I am sure 35k for teaching kids basic maths and having to correct simple as fuck homework when you know the answers "

Safe to assume you didn't do honours maths?

over a year ago

School teachers should do what they are trained to do and are good at it, not try and run a country or start rebellions

over a year ago

"School teachers should do what they are trained to do and are good at it, not try and run a country or start rebellions"

Enda Kenny is a good example of this.

over a year ago

Definitely it's the management and governance fault and here's why.

The nurses and the doctors proudly declare their training is great they get honours degrees they are much sought after and get paid more abroad.

So why are we training 5 nurses to keep 1?

Nobody in government has the balls to announce that from day say 2022 any student nurse or medical student once qualified must work in Ireland for 5 years after they qualify or repay their training cost from their enormous salaries.

That might bring a bit of reality to all this.

Government are cowards.

over a year ago

Over the years I've been with a number of nurses and can honestly say they give the best blowjobs. They definitely deserve a pay increase

By *ore of thatMan
over a year ago

skerries

Our lovely country is been run or should I say not run .by a mixture of teachers doctors auctioneer .solicitors ..not a good buisness mans brain between them

Remember pre dick head leoparstown.

We had enda number 1

And who did he appoint as vice principal??

Joan Burton ..what a laugh

over a year ago

"

Thats a fair point ..consultants have the health service ruined getting paid a fortune for doing very little..pen pushing

no not consultants. retired top management and the desk jockeys who have no actual input into the services. "

Sure the consultants are never there, too busy with their private practices!

over a year ago

"Over the years I've been with a number of nurses and can honestly say they give the best blowjobs. They definitely deserve a pay increase "

How much did you pay them then?

over a year ago

"Definitely it's the management and governance fault and here's why.

The nurses and the doctors proudly declare their training is great they get honours degrees they are much sought after and get paid more abroad.

So why are we training 5 nurses to keep 1?

Nobody in government has the balls to announce that from day say 2022 any student nurse or medical student once qualified must work in Ireland for 5 years after they qualify or repay their training cost from their enormous salaries.

That might bring a bit of reality to all this.

Government are cowards. "

5 years? I think 7 at least.

over a year ago

To hear a government member saying he has a mandate from the people, bullshit,are the nurses not the people,They all run for office for one thing and one thing only,€€€€€

over a year ago

"

I don't agree with your statement!!

How about not paying the bond holders 270 million Euros last week as a Goodwill gesture!!!

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"Over the years I've been with a number of nurses and can honestly say they give the best blowjobs. They definitely deserve a pay increase "

When romania joined the eu few years back we had lots of romanian nurses come work in ireland..I had the pleasure of 1 bouncing on me all night..savage stuff altogether..Im glad they joined the eu

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"Teachers can chose to get paid over 9 months or 12. Most all pick 12 to budget. They get paid substantially less than other professions who require shorter training. I've started a similar argument with teacher friends (and still do to wind them up) but the shit conditions and abuse they have to put up with isn't worth any money imo.

So I am sure 35k for teaching kids basic maths and having to correct simple as fuck homework when you know the answers for 35k is a pretty cushy job. Specially when they all get 3 months, and some are taking 6-9 months off every year."

Spot on fella..you live in the real world unlike some people

By *eeperscreepersMan
over a year ago

Tipp

The nurses deserve a raise in wages, teachers and Gardaí shouldn't have to suffer another cut to fund it.

Manage the HSE properly and reduce all the TDs bloated wages and you'll have no bother paying the nurses

over a year ago

Elephant in the room new children's hospital! Nurses would have their pay rise.Other services would not be affected.

if only it was built on a greenfield site!

over a year ago

"Over the years I've been with a number of nurses and can honestly say they give the best blowjobs. They definitely deserve a pay increase

How much did you pay them then? "

I said nurse, not prostitute

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

"Elephant in the room new children's hospital! Nurses would have their pay rise.Other services would not be affected.

if only it was built on a greenfield site!"

Sums up just how crazy this country is..how could you spend 2 billion on a hospital..the location alone was probably the worst possible place to build a hospital..very little room and parking..like you said a greenfield site just outside the m50 in west dublin would have been the right choice if only they had their heads screwed on..the whole thing stinks

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Elephant in the room new children's hospital! Nurses would have their pay rise.Other services would not be affected.

Sums up just how crazy this country is..how could you spend 2 billion on a hospital..the location alone was probably the worst possible place to build a hospital..very little room and parking..like you said a greenfield site just outside the m50 in west dublin would have been the right choice if only they had their heads screwed on..the whole thing stinks"

A greenfield site was offered free of charge along the N7 just out past the Green Isle Hotel. It was decided that the new hospital had to be co located with an adult teaching hospital. The maddest part is that we now know that we could have had both four the price we're paying for one. We could even have had a car park. It's farcical.

By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

Sums up just how crazy this country is..how could you spend 2 billion on a hospital..the location alone was probably the worst possible place to build a hospital..very little room and parking..like you said a greenfield site just outside the m50 in west dublin would have been the right choice if only they had their heads screwed on..the whole thing stinks

A greenfield site was offered free of charge along the N7 just out past the Green Isle Hotel. It was decided that the new hospital had to be co located with an adult teaching hospital. The maddest part is that we now know that we could have had both four the price we're paying for one. We could even have had a car park. It's farcical. "

It almost sounds like it was all done on purpose just to annoy someone..i dont know how people could be so stupid..staggering

over a year ago

The government need to sort it out ASAP two people I know have had surgeries cancelled over it both of which are fairly serious at that too

Post new Message to Thread