Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Painters

Jump to newest

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man
over a year ago

Tipperary

For anyone into painting, is there a paint you can get to go straight over varnish without having to use Sandpaper first? It's a fucking nuisance

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Wood primer or aluminium paint

over a year ago

There is it’s called 123

over a year ago

Tipperary

It's just a pure nuisance having to sand everywhere first

over a year ago

if its white just get satinwood or if its varnish you want then no nonsense varnish

over a year ago

Tipperary

"if its white just get satinwood or if its varnish you want then no nonsense varnish"
Ye the wood is varnished and needs to be painted white.

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

I'm sure the water based gloss will cover the varnish . I swear bye it . It dries in an half an hour and stays whiter longer than oil paint.

over a year ago

Tipperary

I read online u can't get a deglosser. Apply it to a rag, wipe the surface and then let it dry and paint away

By *aldzMan
over a year ago

South Co Dublin

Owatrol esp, expensive but saves alot of time and mess.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Always looking for shortcuts op, you just want to dip your brush without a decent foreplay...

over a year ago

Not a painter, but i would give a light sanding over the surface to give your fresh paint something to key into.

over a year ago

Tipperary

"Always looking for shortcuts op, you just want to dip your brush without a decent foreplay... "
fuck foreplay

over a year ago

Tipperary

"Not a painter, but i would give a light sanding over the surface to give your fresh paint something to key into."
it's just there is so much to be sanded it's a nightmare. Electric sander would be ideal

By *mokey and the bandit 1Couple
over a year ago

Dublin

Nitromors paint it on and it will remove all the varnish

over a year ago

There are many things that you can use, but to be honest nothing is beer than some sandpaper and some white sprites to wipe it down.

Get a cheap electric sander for under 30 euro and a medium grit paper and you will fly through it.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"There are many things that you can use, but to be honest nothing is beer than some sandpaper and some white sprites to wipe it down.

Get a cheap electric sander for under 30 euro and a medium grit paper and you will fly through it.

"

This is very good advise but stick with beer only to drink.

By *uriousVoyeurMan
over a year ago

Northside

Depends on the finish you want. If it doesn't have to be great then use ESP wipe on primer. Printable after 90 mins. Can be painted over with a couple of coats of finish colour. If you want it done properly you need to wash with white spirit,allow to dry then lightly sand. Apply one coat of Bins primer (shellac based) and 2 coats of finish. Bins can be painted over after half an hour.

By *uriousVoyeurMan
over a year ago

Northside

"Depends on the finish you want. If it doesn't have to be great then use ESP wipe on primer. Printable after 90 mins. Can be painted over with a couple of coats of finish colour. If you want it done properly you need to wash with white spirit,allow to dry then lightly sand. Apply one coat of Bins primer (shellac based) and 2 coats of finish. Bins can be painted over after half an hour. "
Printable? ?? Feckin predictive text. ..paintable

over a year ago

"Always looking for shortcuts op, you just want to dip your brush without a decent foreplay... "

over a year ago

"Owatrol esp, expensive but saves alot of time and mess. "

+1 for Owatrol esp

Worth doing the job right

By *eff..Man
over a year ago

belfast

Paint for a living, you should always key up the surface to give your new paint something to stick too, I would sand with a fine sandpaper if your going to do it with a sander use a soft interface pad

over a year ago

Bin primer but still give it a sand

By *sexybitchWoman
over a year ago

north dublin

If anyone looking to paint my house is available

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

crewe

Hammerite paint, most other stuff a complete waste of time..

over a year ago

Bin primer

By *weetcplCouple
over a year ago

mid town

a lot of bad information on this post, good prep is the only way to go, fail to prepare, prepare to fail, wash with white spirits , esp is good to etch the surface, or bin is the best adhesion primer and will also stop knots from bleeding through, but if you are going from varnish to a white or cream finish it's the job for a pro who has a good standard,

over a year ago

"Hammerite paint, most other stuff a complete waste of time.. "

Hammerite paint is for metal not wood

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

crewe

"Hammerite paint, most other stuff a complete waste of time..

Hammerite paint is for metal not wood"

Also excellent for sealing over varnish

By *kcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bin primer or a product called esp (easy surface primer). Wasting time and money if you don't at the very least prime it.

over a year ago

Also excellent for sealing over varnish"

If u look at hammerites website they do not recommend using product on wood unless u prime first its ok on plastics and fiberglass

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

crewe

Also excellent for sealing over varnish

If u look at hammerites website they do not recommend using product on wood unless u prime first its ok on plastics and fiberglass "

Ok.. but still excellent for sealing over varnish

By *rownhandMan
over a year ago

leicester

As some one said earlier B.I.N 123 primer is best as you don,t need to sand down first it will stick to anything or use Allcoat paint which can be applyed again whitout sanding

as a PAINTER myself these two paint products works very well for me

over a year ago

"Bin primer "

Light sand and bin primer. Bin sticks like shit to a blanket its by far the best product out there

over a year ago

"Paint for a living, you should always key up the surface to give your new paint something to stick too, I would sand with a fine sandpaper if your going to do it with a sander use a soft interface pad "

Have to agree here, sanding is a must and wipe with white spirits to gather the excess dust

By *safunwituMan
over a year ago

Enniscorthy

Bin primer is ok, but I would recommend a light sanding and just using normal oil based undercoat. No matter what you use it is going to take 4 to 5 coats to get it solid, as the paint just sits on the varnish and doesn't soak in like it would on raw wood. The thing about using bin primer is, you will still need to apply undercoat over it, because it is next to impossible recoat 2 or 3 times, as it reacts and becomes soft. Colortrend prime 2 epoxy paint is also an option, its water based and less fumes.

Personally I would stay away from bin primer, only time I would use it would be to maybe cover up stains. Oil undercoat is your best option, just takes a little longer to dry, but it's the old school way of doing it and the best way.

By *ondalingerMan
over a year ago

City center

Light sanding and a coat of zinseer primer. Then you are free to put water based or oil based paints on. Do not put a water based paint over was is most likely a polyurethane varnish. Zinseer comes in litre tins. Well worth it. Will keep for years too

over a year ago

"For anyone into painting, is there a paint you can get to go straight over varnish without having to use Sandpaper first? It's a fucking nuisance "

There used to be this stuff call liquid sandpaper. You just wiped it on the surface which was to be painted with a cloth and left it to dry for about 10 mins. It was acted as a primer. Ready to paint. I used it for my kitchen cupboards. Did a great job.

By *safunwituMan
over a year ago

Enniscorthy

"Light sanding and a coat of zinseer primer. Then you are free to put water based or oil based paints on. Do not put a water based paint over was is most likely a polyurethane varnish. Zinseer comes in litre tins. Well worth it. Will keep for years too"

Colortrend prime 2 epoxy you can paint over oil based varnish and that's water based.

But whats the point in buying zinseer and then having to buy oil undercoat when you can just use undercoat and cut the cost. Have been using oil undercoat long before bin was on the market here and lasts just as long.

By *leasure indeedCouple
over a year ago

West

speaking of problems with painting I get bubble on my wall to I need a professional painter to help me any painters in mayo wanna quote me

By *ondalingerMan
over a year ago

City center

" speaking of problems with painting I get bubble on my wall to I need a professional painter to help me any painters in mayo wanna quote me "
hate to be the one to burst your bubble

By *ondalingerMan
over a year ago

City center

"Light sanding and a coat of zinseer primer. Then you are free to put water based or oil based paints on. Do not put a water based paint over was is most likely a polyurethane varnish. Zinseer comes in litre tins. Well worth it. Will keep for years too

Colortrend prime 2 epoxy you can paint over oil based varnish and that's water based.

But whats the point in buying zinseer and then having to buy oil undercoat when you can just use undercoat and cut the cost. Have been using oil undercoat long before bin was on the market here and lasts just as long. "

i find waterbased paints sit perfectly on bin. Plus it drys much quicker than u/c but each to their own.

By *safunwituMan
over a year ago

Enniscorthy

"Light sanding and a coat of zinseer primer. Then you are free to put water based or oil based paints on. Do not put a water based paint over was is most likely a polyurethane varnish. Zinseer comes in litre tins. Well worth it. Will keep for years too

But whats the point in buying zinseer and then having to buy oil undercoat when you can just use undercoat and cut the cost. Have been using oil undercoat long before bin was on the market here and lasts just as long. i find waterbased paints sit perfectly on bin. Plus it drys much quicker than u/c but each to their own. "

Not disagreeing with you, but you can also use water based paints over oil undercoat, which is a lot cheaper than bin primer. Oil paint does take longer to dry, but is a hell of a lot more durable than water based paints. If you are doing a house full doors, frames and skirtings, oil all the way, is by far the best option.

Post new Message to Thread