Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Are strong silent types just cool or stupid

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know two who come across as cool to those who meet them but, those who know them have long realised they are silent simply because they have nothing to say as they are just morons.

So.Beware!??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have no idea of the people you are talking about but in life in general there are myriad reasons that people are silent types.

Many people suffer silently with anxiety, depression and many other mental health issues. To categorise silent stypes as stupid is a stupid statement in itself.

We only learn by listening not by talking. Some folks are eager for knowledge. Somr folks are socially awkward. Some people find that the company they may find themselves in bore them to death with insignificant smalm talk and gossip and they would prefer to not engage with such intellectually redundant talk.

The silent types are often the ones who are most intelligent , the ones who take in what's happening. They assess what is happening without engaging in it.

Everyone has a different way of living life and nobody is under obligation to live a particular way and to expect someone to conform is delusional at best.

over a year ago

...smalm?

over a year ago

"...smalm? "

Really? Thats what you took from it?

I'm very quiet in social settings. I am not highly intelligent or a moron I am just quiet.

Each to their own. All I would say is if you start a thread and want a discussion then have one rather than just picking out one typo in a well thought out and written post

over a year ago

And of course its not just the silent types.

over a year ago

"...smalm?

I'm very quiet in social settings. I am not highly intelligent or a moron I am just quiet.

Each to their own. All I would say is if you start a thread and want a discussion then have one rather than just picking out one typo in a well thought out and written post "

over a year ago

"...smalm? "

You'd prefer to point out a typo rather than discuss the points that I made ?

That says enough in itself. The irony considering a thread on stupidity.

over a year ago

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

By *lippery-when-wet-180Woman
over a year ago

South Dublin

"...smalm?

You'd prefer to point out a typo rather than discuss the points that I made ?

That says enough in itself. The irony considering a thread on stupidity."

over a year ago

Strong silent types can be cool, sensitive, intelligent, pleasant,pensive,thoughtfull,kind, cinsiderate,funny,kind,depressed, happy, single, married, separated, straight, bi, gay, lesbian, metrosexual, ts, tv, lesbian etc etc etc.

And some can be stupid. No insult meant or intended. Twas just a musing and no need for anyone to get on their high horse or take things personal or to reply with insults.

Have a nice day.

By *heilsWoman
over a year ago

Midlands

"...smalm?

Each to their own. All I would say is if you start a thread and want a discussion then have one rather than just picking out one typo in a well thought out and written post "

over a year ago

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

over a year ago

And here are some interesting thoughts from others. I reckon had they posted these on social media they would have been slaughtered!

A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.

Anderson, Harry

There is in human nature generally more of the fool than of the wise.

Bacon, Sir Francis

Silence is the virtue of fools

Bacon, Sir Francis

The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way. Josh Billings

Billings, Josh

Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others

Bismarck, Otto von

What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the end.

Buffett, Warren Edward

Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are stupider than that

Carlin, George

Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools.

Chapman, George

When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.

Churchill, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer

What the wise seek is in themselves, what the fool seeks is in others.

Confucius

The fool wonders, the wise man asks

Disraeli, Benjamin

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/04/18 11:33:15]

over a year ago

You started with a sweeping generalisation and now seek to reinforce it with a selection of mostly irrelevent cut and paste quotations..

Are we possibly a little insecure, and a little jealous of the attention these men get,hmmm?

over a year ago

More insults. I am not surprised.

It is why so many don't bother posting at all.

I could have entitled the post why do peeps feel the need to insult? But, even without such a heading, Q.E.D.!!

Why do they always attack the original poster. Why do people seem to think that every post is about them or feel the need to take everything so personal.

Jasus. Thank god for animals. They're pleasant.

over a year ago

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from criticism .

over a year ago

"And here are some interesting thoughts from others. I reckon had they posted these on social media they would have been slaughtered!

A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.

Anderson, Harry

There is in human nature generally more of the fool than of the wise.

Bacon, Sir Francis

Silence is the virtue of fools

Bacon, Sir Francis

The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way. Josh Billings

Billings, Josh

Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others

Bismarck, Otto von

What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the end.

Buffett, Warren Edward

Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are stupider than that

Carlin, George

Chapman, George

When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.

Churchill, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer

What the wise seek is in themselves, what the fool seeks is in others.

Confucius

The fool wonders, the wise man asks

Disraeli, Benjamin

"

I like most of those quotes.

I have found that sometimes the strong silent types are actually screaming on the inside. As for cool, I'm not sure I've ever described or thought of anyone in that way. I like honest, open and decent people, and they can be very talkative or very quiet.

over a year ago

These are duscussion forums.And a discussion is a, now, please pay attention as I will only attempt to exain this once ( one can-[notice how this is not directed at any particular person but you know who you are]always read it a few times in the hope the meaning will sink in, a noun, and defined as the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

It is entirely different from a criticism forum or an insult forum.

over a year ago

And exain should have read explain.

Now....here comes the flock.

over a year ago

"And exain should have read explain.

Now....here comes the flock.

"

What happened your spelling Confucius ?

over a year ago

"These are duscussion forums.And a discussion is a, now, please pay attention as I will only attempt to exain this once ( one can-[notice how this is not directed at any particular person but you know who you are]always read it a few times in the hope the meaning will sink in, a noun, and defined as the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

It is entirely different from a criticism forum or an insult forum.

"

I agree with this statement 100% which is why when I opened the thread looking forward to the ideas out forward I was struck straight away that your first reply was simply to point out one typo in another posters comment. I didnt progress the discussion at all or out forward any alternite ideas.

No personal insult was ment by my reply.

over a year ago

Though many grpups will not be capable of understanding the difference!

over a year ago

The smalm had a ? after it

It was a question. I won't define what that is. I wondered was it a new word I had not heard of like "spam" for example.

But rather than deal with the subject matter people prefer to jump in and criticise and insult. Its sad.

Maybe should have taken mam's advice and "not say anything if you don't have anything nice to say". But, she was a sheep too god bless her.

That quote above was very apt.

Chapman, George

Now....time for real life...

over a year ago

If you are having a go at certain members, which I think this thread is, it’s best to just send them a mail about it or keep quiet. It’s not nice to slag others off and hopefully, you’ll be having tea and biscuits on the naughty step for three days.

over a year ago

"More insults. I am not surprised.

It is why so many don't bother posting at all.

I could have entitled the post why do peeps feel the need to insult? But, even without such a heading, Q.E.D.!!

Why do they always attack the original poster. Why do people seem to think that every post is about them or feel the need to take everything so personal.

Jasus. Thank god for animals. They're pleasant. "

Can you point out where it is in my post that I insulted you?

You posted an opinion and surely you should be prepared to have that opinion questioned and be able to argue in support of your it? Or should we all just agree with you incase it upsets your feelings?

over a year ago

So much for all " Auld lads " being smart !!

over a year ago

...and the flock just keeps growing.

It most definitely is not just a problem with the silent types. No wonder the forums are not at all as interesting as they used to be.Ah well. As I said. Thank god for animals.

Queue the trolls.

over a year ago

To be fair to animals they don't start threads on swinger forums where they get the hump if their opinions are not agreed with.

over a year ago

More of the same.

The post was for discussion.

The first to reply stated "I have no idea of the people you are talking about but"... and then pro eeded to get personal and insulting.

I accidentally turned onto a discussion on a radio show this morning where the contributors were mostly ignorant boorish and abusive. Seems many of them are here too.

over a year ago

I turned off the radio which I could do and so Im logging off and going to meet nice normal interesting people and avoid the silly......cant resist it....grpups here.

over a year ago

"...and the flock just keeps growing.

It most definitely is not just a problem with the silent types. No wonder the forums are not at all as interesting as they used to be.Ah well. As I said. Thank god for animals.

Queue the trolls."

Could you explain to me what you mean by the term "flock"?

To be fair from what I can see from the thread you seem to be the one that does not want to engage in a discussion of any type. You havent replied with anything relating to the responses you have gotten.. this is now the thirs subject by my count you have changed to.

1. Are the silent type cool or stupid

2. Foolish people

3. The flock insukting you and ruining the forums.

Might I suggested productive engagement even if it is to disagee with comments rather than faux outrage

over a year ago

Anyone who doesnt agree with you is ignorant and boorish?

Your post was a sweeping generalisation based on zero evidence and fairly ignorant and boorish itself. You are entitled to your opinion but people are entitled to challenge it! For an "auld lad" you're coming across as a child

Queue more whining and zero in the way of a reasoned response

over a year ago

Op... are you Donald Trump ?

over a year ago

Seems the same old same old conributors with the same insulting agenda.

But. Maybe I am wrong. Seems some here are definitely very successful.And their dedication and hard work and committment ought to be recognised by all.

As Benjamin Franklin once said,

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

over a year ago

"Seems the same old same old conributors with the same insulting agenda.

But. Maybe I am wrong. Seems some here are definitely very successful.And their dedication and hard work and committment ought to be recognised by all.

As Benjamin Franklin once said,

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." "

Reasoned debate at its finest. I'm done..

over a year ago

"More of the same.

The post was for discussion.

The first to reply stated "I have no idea of the people you are talking about but"... and then pro eeded to get personal and insulting.

I accidentally turned onto a discussion on a radio show this morning where the contributors were mostly ignorant boorish and abusive. Seems many of them are here too."

I must completely agree with you on that, there does seem to be boorish and defensive behaviour going on. Is everything ok with you? You are communicating like a person in pain. Send me a message if you need someone to listen.

over a year ago

Thanks very much. Someone normal and pleasant! I am perfectly fine thanks. I know its nice to be nice and sometimes its fun to stir things up without being hurtful. I just despair of the arrogant aggressive attitude shown by many.

But hey hoh hum. Its sunny in Galway and hopefully the sun will generally cheer people up.

Now. Time for the prom......

over a year ago

"Thanks very much. Someone normal and pleasant! I am perfectly fine thanks. I know its nice to be nice and sometimes its fun to stir things up without being hurtful. I just despair of the arrogant aggressive attitude shown by many.

But hey hoh hum. Its sunny in Galway and hopefully the sun will generally cheer people up.

Now. Time for the prom......"

Just to be clear I found your tone to others defensive and it raised concern in me for your well being. It’s sounds from the way you have responded to people that you are hurting. And if I can help with that hurt I will try

over a year ago

I’m out of this topic. Been getting msgs from a woman with a hidden profile, supporting op saying

‘he rattled a bag and all the sheep came running’

‘He knows exactly what he is doing and it’s working a treat’

There seems to be much more going on here than a simple topic discussion and I won’t have anything to do with it.

over a year ago

"I’m out of this topic. Been getting msgs from a woman with a hidden profile, supporting op saying

‘he rattled a bag and all the sheep came running’

‘He knows exactly what he is doing and it’s working a treat’

"

Well I’m a dragon, not a sheep! However, as I said earlier, if you’ve something to say to a fellow fabber, send them a mail. The forums is not the place to be shit stirring if that’s what the OP is trying to achieve.

By *riplePointMan
over a year ago

waterville

A thoughtful consideration , not sure I completely agree but definitely has me thinking further.

over a year ago

"Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from criticism . "

If only that were true in the modern world of ideological armies taking sides.

Post new Message to Thread