FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do you ever be talking about something very specific with a friend, relative or colleague like gardening or holiday planning and then all off a sudden you start seeing very targeted internet ads on social media or google about those very same conversation topics

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Eh, marketing campaigns are targeted, at particular times of the year people's thoughts tend to turn to specific activities e.g. booking holidays after Christmas, tackling the garden in Spring, also having plans for something makes you more conscious of advertising which would probably escape your notice under normal circumstances.

That's assuming you meant "talking" about activities as opposed to discussing them on social media, which is actively gathering information about you for marketing purposes.

over a year ago

"Do you ever be talking about something very specific with a friend, relative or colleague like gardening or holiday planning and then all off a sudden you start seeing very targeted internet ads on social media or google about those very same conversation topics "

Could you please take this ungood talk elsewhere....

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

No you’re confused.

I actually think our smart phones are listening to us. They can pick up key words in conversation via the microphone on the devices in the room

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

Yes. There's a very interesting "reply all" podcast about it entitled "is facebook listening to me"

Short answer: no, they're not.

over a year ago

"No you’re confused.

I actually think our smart phones are listening to us. They can pick up key words in conversation via the microphone on the devices in the room "

I've never experienced this, but I have seen targeted marketing when I've used the internet.

Paranoia however, is definitely a real thing. I have a cousin who won't discuss her holiday dates over the phone, I'm not sure exactly what she thinks "they" are going to do with this information.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

It's all just big data for years now nearly every company has been collecting data on you from store cards to using cards to make purchases everything is tracked and with mobile phones it's even easier to keep a record of everything you do

over a year ago

I left school in 1984

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

"No you’re confused.

I actually think our smart phones are listening to us. They can pick up key words in conversation via the microphone on the devices in the room "

No, they don't.

Again, listen to the podcast I mentioned.

Post new Message to Thread