Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Education.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What would further enhance education if it was added to/dropped from what we would recognise as the status quo curriculum ?

I'd like to see some teaching of mental health, mindfulness possibly for older teens, first aid, education about nutrition and impact on the body, confidence building with techniques such as public speaking, education about the importance of a work life balance, a glimpse into the understanding of the brain and what influences people to become addicted to certain vices.

I'd tailor religion so that there is an understanding of other beliefs/lack of beliefs and would not push any particular doctrine in a school.

I'd be interested to know what other people would see as beneficial if they had a magic wand to change/not change the education system here.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *BelfastGuyMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Every day basic skills.

Life skill.

Get the kids out move learning about there environment and growing stuff.

Doing more fun stuff and more outdoors.

Teaching kids manners and getting them of Thier phones.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"What would further enhance education if it was added to/dropped from what we would recognise as the status quo curriculum ?

I'd like to see some teaching of mental health, mindfulness possibly for older teens, first aid, education about nutrition and impact on the body, confidence building with techniques such as public speaking, education about the importance of a work life balance, a glimpse into the understanding of the brain and what influences people to become addicted to certain vices.

I'd tailor religion so that there is an understanding of other beliefs/lack of beliefs and would not push any particular doctrine in a school.

I'd be interested to know what other people would see as beneficial if they had a magic wand to change/not change the education system here. "

I'd start the mental health and mindfulness classes much sooner, probably in the infant classes so it becomes second nature to them. Even children of a very young age can have depressive times, so teaching them how to cope with that should start at the very beginning.

over a year ago

Dealing with bullying from an early age. Teaching kids that iys ok to be different. Mindfulness etc. The power of positivty in school etc

A lot of schools in ireland if you werent good at sports you were treated differently jusf because you are on the football team shouldnt be treated any better.

over a year ago

"What would further enhance education if it was added to/dropped from what we would recognise as the status quo curriculum ?

I'd be interested to know what other people would see as beneficial if they had a magic wand to change/not change the education system here.

I'd start the mental health and mindfulness classes much sooner, probably in the infant classes so it becomes second nature to them. Even children of a very young age can have depressive times, so teaching them how to cope with that should start at the very beginning. "

This is becoming part of the curriculum. It's been recognised the powerfull effect meditation and movement is having on children and the knock on effect in classes. Running and walking challenges are very popular alongside meditation. Teachers and support staff are been trained for this

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Definitely agree with the points raised. To me education is in such a vacuum it could do with many changes to help kids become the best versions of themselves.as adults.

over a year ago

"Definitely agree with the points raised. To me education is in such a vacuum it could do with many changes to help kids become the best versions of themselves.as adults."

It's improving the emphasis is on the child as a whole not just achieving targets. A child will learn better if they're happy and confident. This is achieved by finding out their talents and strengths. School is a happy safe place for most of our children.

over a year ago

Anything that helps stop the spread of generation snowflake should be taught. Society is educating and raising kids with no life skills as they have no concept of what it feels like to fail, or be beaten by someone else, or to disagree with someone. Kids need to be taught that it’s ok to fail or be bettered by someone who is better, and that it’s what you do after you fail that’s important. And that it’s ok to be different- do what makes you happy and you’ll be fine. We’re becoming so risk averse as a society it’s sickening.

over a year ago

"Anything that helps stop the spread of generation snowflake should be taught. Society is educating and raising kids with no life skills as they have no concept of what it feels like to fail, or be beaten by someone else, or to disagree with someone. Kids need to be taught that it’s ok to fail or be bettered by someone who is better, and that it’s what you do after you fail that’s important. And that it’s ok to be different- do what makes you happy and you’ll be fine. We’re becoming so risk averse as a society it’s sickening. "

These are lessons that need to start at home ... why are we so scared of our children failing. Some life lessons begin at home and as parents we need to take responsibility for them. It's ok if your child's not the best not everyone is.

over a year ago

"Anything that helps stop the spread of generation snowflake should be taught. Society is educating and raising kids with no life skills as they have no concept of what it feels like to fail, or be beaten by someone else, or to disagree with someone. Kids need to be taught that it’s ok to fail or be bettered by someone who is better, and that it’s what you do after you fail that’s important. And that it’s ok to be different- do what makes you happy and you’ll be fine. We’re becoming so risk averse as a society it’s sickening.

These are lessons that need to start at home ... why are we so scared of our children failing. Some life lessons begin at home and as parents we need to take responsibility for them. It's ok if your child's not the best not everyone is. "

I agree. It shouldn’t be solely up to schools to teach kids this. Education doesn’t stop at the school gates.

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"Anything that helps stop the spread of generation snowflake should be taught. Society is educating and raising kids with no life skills as they have no concept of what it feels like to fail, or be beaten by someone else, or to disagree with someone. Kids need to be taught that it’s ok to fail or be bettered by someone who is better, and that it’s what you do after you fail that’s important. And that it’s ok to be different- do what makes you happy and you’ll be fine. We’re becoming so risk averse as a society it’s sickening.

These are lessons that need to start at home ... why are we so scared of our children failing. Some life lessons begin at home and as parents we need to take responsibility for them. It's ok if your child's not the best not everyone is. "

“Why are we so scared of our children failing”?

Any parent worth their salt is scared of their children failing - that’s a lot different from not teaching them the life skills to cope with failing however ....

over a year ago

These are lessons that need to start at home ... why are we so scared of our children failing. Some life lessons begin at home and as parents we need to take responsibility for them. It's ok if your child's not the best not everyone is.

Any parent worth their salt is scared of their children failing - that’s a lot different from not teaching them the life skills to cope with failing however ...."

I agree, this is however an issue. These life skills aren't been thought and children are suffering because of it.

over a year ago

I agree. It shouldn’t be solely up to schools to teach kids this. Education doesn’t stop at the school gates. "

Education is a community event. Our children learn in school, at home, on the football pitch, playground, street.

over a year ago

Any parent worth their salt is scared of their children failing - that’s a lot different from not teaching them the life skills to cope with failing however ...

As long as your own fear of them failing 1) doesn’t stop them from trying in the first place or 2) doesn’t get adopted by them too. Failure is a part of life. Not one person who has ever lived hasn’t failed at some point. I’d be more scared that they wouldn’t try or keep going, rather than be scared of them failing in the first place.

over a year ago

"

Any parent worth their salt is scared of their children failing - that’s a lot different from not teaching them the life skills to cope with failing however ...

As long as your own fear of them failing 1) doesn’t stop them from trying in the first place or 2) doesn’t get adopted by them too. Failure is a part of life. Not one person who has ever lived hasn’t failed at some point. I’d be more scared that they wouldn’t try or keep going, rather than be scared of them failing in the first place. "

I agree with you but unfortunately you speak of your experience, there's a lot more then you with your experiences out there and not everyone is of the same mindset as you. While what you say is wonderful and true and I agree with you ..it's not the same for everyone else.

In much the same way children go to school hungry, badly dressed ( and I don't mean no nikes) emotionally disturbed, not ready to learn because of what has happened in their lives, it's not the case for everyone but for alot it's their truth. We cannot take what we perceive to be good parenting and presume that that is everyone's norm. We all have different ideals some you agree with some you dont.

This " fear of failure" amongst our children and our young people is an issue. Everyday in classrooms staff are dealing with it. While there are a huge amount of other issues out there for our young people this is one of them but it's one of the easiest to solve.

over a year ago

"

I agree with you but unfortunately you speak of your experience, there's a lot more then you with your experiences out there and not everyone is of the same mindset as you. While what you say is wonderful and true and I agree with you ..it's not the same for everyone else.

In much the same way children go to school hungry, badly dressed ( and I don't mean no nikes) emotionally disturbed, not ready to learn because of what has happened in their lives, it's not the case for everyone but for alot it's their truth. We cannot take what we perceive to be good parenting and presume that that is everyone's norm. We all have different ideals some you agree with some you dont.

This " fear of failure" amongst our children and our young people is an issue. Everyday in classrooms staff are dealing with it. While there are a huge amount of other issues out there for our young people this is one of them but it's one of the easiest to solve. "

Absolutely- intended as all my own personal opinion and nothing more than that. It’s impossible to apply a right and wrong to the wide amounts and types of scenarios that are out there.

over a year ago

"

This " fear of failure" amongst our children and our young people is an issue. Everyday in classrooms staff are dealing with it. While there are a huge amount of other issues out there for our young people this is one of them but it's one of the easiest to solve.

Absolutely- intended as all my own personal opinion and nothing more than that. It’s impossible to apply a right and wrong to the wide amounts and types of scenarios that are out there. "

Fortunately and unfortunately there is and as adults we learn from each other

over a year ago

I think learning too drive should be part of the curriculum in secondary education, too prepare them for leaving school, so that if they ever get jobs outside their town, that it prepares them straight away. Coz later in life it gets harder. Too take instruction, best too do this while have a fresh outlook on a learning ability.and a challenge in early life.

Post new Message to Thread