Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Any guitarist's on here

Jump to newest

By *avid40701 OP   Man
over a year ago

mayo

Any guitarist give me advice on finger independence , beginner here and feel Lyon getting nowhere!, no smart remarks please!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Keep with it brother. Its just building muscle memory in your hands and fingers. The main thing is pick it up each day. Even for 10 mins. Are u doing it on your own or are u getting lessons?

By *avid40701 OP   Man
over a year ago

mayo

On my own, got Gibson learn and master guitar

over a year ago

Im only playing a few years myself. But i basically learned of youtube there are some excellent channels on there. justinsanderciesongs and guitarjams are 2 of the best. All i can say is patience and pratice is key. And the biggest advise i can give u is learn your scales. and start slow. Learn 5 chords and stick with them. u can literally play 1000s of songs with the same 3 or 4 chords. stick to the open ones like A, C, D, G etc and u wont be long improving

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

What do you mean by finger independence exactly?

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

Go and get a few lessons .

By *ajobMan
over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Power chords will be your best friend....only 2 shapes to remember...great for learning without the huge ordeal of trying to learn complicated qwirky shapes till you really get confident...take small steps...learn a few basic songs you know and like from whatever vands/groups you are into....kerp at it...get past the sore finger tip stage....been playing well over 20yrs...great thing to know

By *ajobMan
over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Ps...you dont need lessons to learn an instrument...just takes a bit of self dedication and time to improve....give it a few months.

By *avid40701 OP   Man
over a year ago

mayo

Finger independence , building the muscles in the fingers, being able to stretch properly on each fret,

Thanks for all the advice!, much appreciated!

By *ir1967Man
over a year ago

in da sticks, london, amsterdam, madrid

Tip from a seasoned player, get yourself an acoustic guitar . The light gauge of an ejectricak will take you ages to get proper muscles .

It also increases your skills abd orecufion for the tone . E guitar effects can hide a lot , acoustic doesn’t lie

For the rest as everyone said, patience and daily dedicated time

By *ir1967Man
over a year ago

in da sticks, london, amsterdam, madrid

"Tip from a seasoned player, get yourself an acoustic guitar . The light gauge of an ejectricak will take you ages to get proper muscles .

It also increases your skills abd orecufion for the tone . E guitar effects can hide a lot , acoustic doesn’t lie

For the rest as everyone said, patience and daily dedicated time "

Bloody phone text

If you need translation just pm me

over a year ago

"Any guitarist give me advice on finger independence , beginner here and feel Lyon getting nowhere!, no smart remarks please!"

Sorry pal I cant help you in my rock and roll days, I was trying to play bass.some good advice on thread all the same, best of luck H.

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

"Finger independence , building the muscles in the fingers, being able to stretch properly on each fret,

Thanks for all the advice!, much appreciated!"

1. Wash your hands in warm to hot water before you play, this helps warm up the muscles in your hands.

2. Do some further finger excercises to stretch and warm up further.

3. Start at the first fret, place your first finger over the first fret, second over the second and so on. Then go across the frets one at a time, then the next string, E 1 2 3 4, A 1 2 3 4 etc

4. Reverse the excercise, High E 4 3 2 1, B 4 3 2 1 etc.

5 Shift Up to the next four frets and repeat.

Do that for about 20 mins and you should be nicely stretched and warmed up.

If at any point this excercise is painful then do t slowly or with two or three fingers at at time.

"No pain, no gain" is not something that hold true for guitar playing (except for calluses)

Post new Message to Thread