By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

Three people died though.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *DedalusMan
over a year ago

London

"I let worse farts ffs think this was a bit over reacted. Well in dublin anyway "

I saw "...red me arse" and clicked in error. Apologies for the intrusion.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I let worse farts ffs think this was a bit over reacted. Well in dublin anyway "
Ah sure as long as Dublin came safe the rest of the country doesn't matter as usual.

By *ndrew1972Man
over a year ago

Roscrea

It was far from over reacted. Just been out clearing the roads here of trees. Had to leave one as there is a power line underneath it!

Listenining to the radio earlier & people moaning about schools being closed & it's all being blown out of proportion.

I for one think that Met Eireann, Gardai, ESB & various other services should be applauded for their steady, calm & common sense led reaction to the whole situation.

over a year ago

You were lucky then. Cork got a battering and a lot of the South West also. I was sceptical tbh and thought it might be an overreaction but it was fairly powerful today

over a year ago

Some of us have been very lucky with power cuts etc, we have not seen even half the extent of the damage throughout the country and 3 lives lost!!! They were 100% right to put a red warning on it

over a year ago

"It was far from over reacted. Just been out clearing the roads here of trees. Had to leave one as there is a power line underneath it!

Listenining to the radio earlier & people moaning about schools being closed & it's all being blown out of proportion.

I for one think that Met Eireann, Gardai, ESB & various other services should be applauded for their steady, calm & common sense led reaction to the whole situation.

"

By *atthewsundriMan
over a year ago

dundrum

"It was far from over reacted. Just been out clearing the roads here of trees. Had to leave one as there is a power line underneath it!

"

well said

By *ittyMissKittyWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

Definitely right calling category red. Dublin looks like it got away lightly. Where I am it was awful all day but nowhere near what it was like elsewhere. As for the idiots kite surfing and swimming and not paying heed to the Gardai or coast guard, they should be fined and or prosecuted. No thoughts for the lives of the emergency workers who would be called out if something happened

By *arkandEm14 OP   Couple
over a year ago

dublin

The 3 lives lost is shocking absolutely. And you have idiots wind surfing in the sea. Dublin just had a small bit of wind nothing to shut the county over. Hope all the west is ok

over a year ago

"The 3 lives lost is shocking absolutely. And you have idiots wind surfing in the sea. Dublin just had a small bit of wind nothing to shut the county over. Hope all the west is ok "

You actually can't be serious here?

over a year ago

Well we would consider ourselves very lucky down this way,we didnt get hit as bad as some but having said that power was gone most of the day and we lost eight roof tiles at last count havent checked since

over a year ago

Well there are people dead due to the storm so I'd say their grieving families think the storm was serious enough

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

I don't think we got anything as bad as the south .

over a year ago

No power and one life lost in Louth. .. I for one am glad they put a status red on it. A lot more people hurt if it'd been underestimated

We've trees down as well as power lines I don't want to be out in it

over a year ago

"

Agreed. Well put!!

over a year ago

Three lives lost,

Countless damage done around the country,

Massive flooding in homes where I’m living,

Emergency service providers putting their lives at risk all day/night..

Yeah, lets belittle that.

Horrible attitude and a shitty post.

By *eductively_SweetWoman
over a year ago

wexford

well is bad down my way and not really letting up quite abit of damage to the area and to mine.. maybe ur one of the lucky ones OP

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Op, Tell that to all those households that are left with no power and who knows for how long, not even to mention the damage and lost lifes.

over a year ago

Cork got hit bad enough, half the city is still without power I couldn't imagine how hard that is for the elderly or people with babies trying too look after them. There are trees down all over the roads.

As for them windsurfers they should have been left there or at least fined for wasting time. Why should the emergency services be out risking there life's for people who did not listen to the many warnings given.

By *athybCouple
over a year ago

Athlone

"The 3 lives lost is shocking absolutely. And you have idiots wind surfing in the sea. Dublin just had a small bit of wind nothing to shut the county over. Hope all the west is ok

You actually can't be serious here? "

I hope not everyone in Dublin feels this way about the rest of the country.... A red alert was definitely warranted. 3 people died and I'm very sure they have left behind grieving distraught families. My husband is an emergency worker and has been on standby all day like many around the whole country....including Dublin ....

By *aucyladMan
over a year ago

Dublin

The nature of storms and hurricane is that it does move quickly and so predicting exact location of damage is hard to do...yesterday Dublin was on that path so was included.It moved overnight towards a western side and has hammered southern counties and western counties along the way.They were 100% correct in calling a status red for the entire country.There are families tonight devastated by death from this,businesses hammered from.the storm that will take money and time to repair,Farmers who will have buildings to repair,towns that will get flooded and cause disprution.To think you felt it was over the top is actually ridiculous,take your head out of your arse and realise that the status red has without doubt saved lives today.

By *athybCouple
over a year ago

Athlone

"The nature of storms and hurricane is that it does move quickly and so predicting exact location of damage is hard to do...yesterday Dublin was on that path so was included.It moved overnight towards a western side and has hammered southern counties and western counties along the way.They were 100% correct in calling a status red for the entire country.There are families tonight devastated by death from this,businesses hammered from.the storm that will take money and time to repair,Farmers who will have buildings to repair,towns that will get flooded and cause disprution.To think you felt it was over the top is actually ridiculous,take your head out of your arse and realise that the status red has without doubt saved lives today."

well said

over a year ago

"The nature of storms and hurricane is that it does move quickly and so predicting exact location of damage is hard to do...yesterday Dublin was on that path so was included.It moved overnight towards a western side and has hammered southern counties and western counties along the way.They were 100% correct in calling a status red for the entire country.There are families tonight devastated by death from this,businesses hammered from.the storm that will take money and time to repair,Farmers who will have buildings to repair,towns that will get flooded and cause disprution.To think you felt it was over the top is actually ridiculous,take your head out of your arse and realise that the status red has without doubt saved lives today."

By *eductively_SweetWoman
over a year ago

wexford

over a year ago

"The nature of storms and hurricane is that it does move quickly and so predicting exact location of damage is hard to do...yesterday Dublin was on that path so was included.It moved overnight towards a western side and has hammered southern counties and western counties along the way.They were 100% correct in calling a status red for the entire country.There are families tonight devastated by death from this,businesses hammered from.the storm that will take money and time to repair,Farmers who will have buildings to repair,towns that will get flooded and cause disprution.To think you felt it was over the top is actually ridiculous,take your head out of your arse and realise that the status red has without doubt saved lives today.

"

Very well said,the sheer amount of devastation that has been caused in one day alone is gonna take a long time to rectify and those lives lost is horrific to all the families affected

over a year ago

Count yourself lucky maybe do the lottery. Some not so lucky.

By *hefireinsideWoman
over a year ago

city

"The 3 lives lost is shocking absolutely. And you have idiots wind surfing in the sea. Dublin just had a small bit of wind nothing to shut the county over. Hope all the west is ok "

Extremely ignorant point of view! As long as everyone is Dublin is safe let's keep the rest of the country operating regardless of risk to lives! Find it hard to believe you haven't seen pics/videos of what it's like down here.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"The 3 lives lost is shocking absolutely. And you have idiots wind surfing in the sea. Dublin just had a small bit of wind nothing to shut the county over. Hope all the west is ok

Extremely ignorant point of view! As long as everyone is Dublin is safe let's keep the rest of the country operating regardless read of risk to lives! Find it hard to believe you haven't seen pics/videos of what it's like down here."

Did you misread county as country?

By *ittyMissKittyWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

Very well said

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

I have no words with relation to ops thread, apart from look at the news have you seem the devastation thats happened today???

over a year ago

Very well said

By *hefireinsideWoman
over a year ago

city

Extremely ignorant point of view! As long as everyone is Dublin is safe let's keep the rest of the country operating regardless read of risk to lives! Find it hard to believe you haven't seen pics/videos of what it's like down here.

Did you misread county as country? "

Doesn't matter.. someone died in an almost neighbouring county to them.. still pure ignorance! Just cos it doesn't directly affect them right where they're sat!!

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

Extremely ignorant point of view! As long as everyone is Dublin is safe let's keep the rest of the country operating regardless read of risk to lives! Find it hard to believe you haven't seen pics/videos of what it's like down here.

Doesn't matter.. someone died in an almost neighbouring county to them.. still pure ignorance! Just cos it doesn't directly affect them right where they're sat!!"

I honestly can't see what's ignorant about that post though. It references the deaths and the extreme conditions elsewhere, then mentions that Dublin didn't get an awful lot of wind. There's nothing factually incorrect about it. I would argue that Dublin had somewhat more than just "a little bit of wind" but it clearly had a lot less than many other counties.

By *hefireinsideWoman
over a year ago

city

Doesn't matter.. someone died in an almost neighbouring county to them.. still pure ignorance! Just cos it doesn't directly affect them right where they're sat!!

I honestly can't see what's ignorant about that post though. It references the deaths and the extreme conditions elsewhere, then mentions that Dublin didn't get an awful lot of wind. There's nothing factually incorrect about it. I would argue that Dublin had somewhat more than just "a little bit of wind" but it clearly had a lot less than many other counties. "

I disagree.. to say that there shouldn't have been a status red is ridiculous!

over a year ago

Extremely ignorant point of view! As long as everyone is Dublin is safe let's keep the rest of the country operating regardless of risk to lives! Find it hard to believe you haven't seen pics/videos of what it's like down here."

You do realise the post said 'shut the county' don't you? Not country

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

I honestly can't see what's ignorant about that post though. It references the deaths and the extreme conditions elsewhere, then mentions that Dublin didn't get an awful lot of wind. There's nothing factually incorrect about it. I would argue that Dublin had somewhat more than just "a little bit of wind" but it clearly had a lot less than many other counties.

I disagree.. to say that there shouldn't have been a status red is ridiculous! "

That post said nothing about the red status at all.

By *ohndunboyneMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

I fully agree with the sensible, considerate posts above. Status Red fully warranted.

Also I'm about 20 miles from Dublin and what's been coming across here in the last 15mins might change the OP's opinion about a bit of wind. Much worse right now than earlier.

over a year ago

That post said nothing about the red status at all. "

True. It was the same profile that posted that moronic initial post though.

over a year ago

The title of the thread did.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

The title of the thread did."

The quoted post is what I commented on.

over a year ago

The title of the thread did.

The quoted post is what I commented on.

"

So you did.

By *oxic1998Woman
over a year ago

Belfast

Even if the op never mentioned in their statement, the title is abit disrespectful considering the damage the weather has caused today

over a year ago

We all know how the Dubs go into shutdown mood when they get a blast of wind or a snow flake. But the rest of the country can have a hurricane but it don't matter as long as Dublin is safe.

By *hefireinsideWoman
over a year ago

city

The whole thing is in the context of the OP suggesting today was an over reaction. Sorry just grinds my gears that mindset when we reacted totally appropriately to an emergency, just cos their house didn't fall down.

over a year ago

That's very disrespectful to all those who were affected..no power..stranded...having to deal with the distruction..just cause it didn't affect you doesn't mean others were so luck..

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

Ignorant post tbh, Ive seen a little bit of this attitude on social media and its ridiculous. The storm shifted away from Dublin last night so other parts of the country got it worse, but it could easily have been any part.

Of course they had to call the entire country red with a storm this powerfull and this size. Anything else would have been wreckless and could have led to even more loss of life.

Its because of how it was handled that we got off lightly this time. The last time there was a storm like this in Ireland 20 people died.

over a year ago

"Ignorant post tbh, Ive seen a little bit of this attitude on social media and its ridiculous. The storm shifted away from Dublin last night so other parts of the country got it worse, but it could easily have been any part.

Of course they had to call the entire country red with a storm this powerfull and this size. Anything else would have been wreckless and could have led to even more loss of life.

Its because of how it was handled that we got off lightly this time. The last time there was a storm like this in Ireland 20 people died."

By *BelfastGuyMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Better safe than sorry

Some of us got away lightly thank god.

Others not so lucky.

Thoughts and prayers

over a year ago

Ffs how many more would have been killed only for red status was issued.

By *exyDownUnderWoman
over a year ago

Westmeath

"We all know how the Dubs go into shutdown mood when they get a blast of wind or a snow flake. But the rest of the country can have a hurricane but it don't matter as long as Dublin is safe."

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Well said and op try being coastal for the likes of Ophelia hitting and say it wasn't red! It's been wild here today but majority of the country were well prepared because it was taken so seriously by the service's.

over a year ago

Got very lucky in my area just strong wind is all . Hope the homeless got some accommodation for the night tho no one should have to stay out in that .

By *endrix30Man
over a year ago

dudley

Don't know what you've been eating but i'd hate to be standing behind you when you let one go.

By *exwaterCouple
over a year ago

waterford

"Three lives lost,

Countless damage done around the country,

Massive flooding in homes where I’m living,

Emergency service providers putting their lives at risk all day/night..

Yeah, lets belittle that.

Horrible attitude and a shitty post."

over a year ago

I am off today

If anyone needs a hand - with Trees down mail me - it’s a free gesture from a person who’s area got away likely.

over a year ago

dublin

Jesus lads i only said dublin didnt get it bad. If i had of said jesus dublin got it bad you be all saying not worse than cork we got it worse than you. Should of known the sensitivity brigade be out. Typical.

over a year ago

"Jesus lads i only said dublin didnt get it bad. If i had of said jesus dublin got it bad you be all saying not worse than cork we got it worse than you. Should of known the sensitivity brigade be out. Typical. "
You made a joke out of a storm that killed 3 people caused millions of euro in Damage.just because Dublin came safe don't mean it wasn't a red alert for some of the country. Don't you people in Dublin know that Ireland exists outside of Dublin.

over a year ago

dublin

I am standing over what i said. Dublin was not hit bad at all. I was disrespectful to the 3 that lost there lives or the rest of the country. I was talking about dublin.

over a year ago

dublin

"I am standing over what i said. Dublin was not hit bad at all. I was disrespectful to the 3 that lost there lives or the rest of the country. I was talking about dublin. "
was NOT disrespectful

over a year ago

"I am standing over what i said. Dublin was not hit bad at all. I was disrespectful to the 3 that lost there lives or the rest of the country. I was talking about dublin. was NOT disrespectful "
I think you got it right first time.

By *hefireinsideWoman
over a year ago

city

"I am standing over what i said. Dublin was not hit bad at all. I was disrespectful to the 3 that lost there lives or the rest of the country. I was talking about dublin. "

Yes you were disrespectful.. suggesting the country over reacted and shouldn't have been a status red, just cos it wasn't terrible in Dublin. That's both ignorant and disrespectful!

over a year ago

"Jesus lads i only said dublin didnt get it bad. If i had of said jesus dublin got it bad you be all saying not worse than cork we got it worse than you. Should of known the sensitivity brigade be out. Typical. "

Sensitivity brigade ... Where are your manners and respect for the dead ??

....Your digging a bigger hole with your further ignorance ...

over a year ago

"Jesus lads i only said dublin didnt get it bad. If i had of said jesus dublin got it bad you be all saying not worse than cork we got it worse than you. Should of known the sensitivity brigade be out. Typical. You made a joke out of a storm that killed 3 people caused millions of euro in Damage.just because Dublin came safe don't mean it wasn't a red alert for some of the country. Don't you people in Dublin know that Ireland exists outside of Dublin."

For once we agree

over a year ago

"Jesus lads i only said dublin didnt get it bad. If i had of said jesus dublin got it bad you be all saying not worse than cork we got it worse than you. Should of known the sensitivity brigade be out. Typical.

Sensitivity brigade ... Where are your manners and respect for the dead ??

....Your digging a bigger hole with your further ignorance ..."

Respect for the Dead is very important.

over a year ago

I get what you meant OP.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

It wasn't that bad here where I am in cavan.

As for the storm yes 3 people died but on an average week I'd say the same of not more are killed on our roads and a lot more take their own lives and yet nobody seems to get their knickers in a twist over that. I think people where getting a bit carried away with the whole have respect people died people. It wasn't as if the op was making a joke about their deaths but for the whole country wide panic that seemed to take over the country you'd swear it was the apocalypse that was coming with people panic buying supplies.

over a year ago

"It wasn't that bad here where I am in cavan.

As for the storm yes 3 people died but on an average week I'd say the same of not more are killed on our roads and a lot more take their own lives and yet nobody seems to get their knickers in a twist over that. I think people where getting a bit carried away with the whole have respect people died people. It wasn't as if the op was making a joke about their deaths but for the whole country wide panic that seemed to take over the country you'd swear it was the apocalypse that was coming with people panic buying supplies.

"

We got next to nothing either. Just another rainy day.

over a year ago

We got next to nothing either. Just another rainy day. "

All it takes is a branch of a tree to kill someone. So if the red alert kept people out of harms way wasn't it well worth it.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

We got next to nothing either. Just another rainy day. All it takes is a branch of a tree to kill someone. So if the red alert kept people out of harms way wasn't it well worth it."

By that rationale then people should never leave the house as any can kill them in fact don't stay in the house as that's just as dangerous as outside if not more so and what ever you do don't go near water or drive a car as people die every day in water and in cars. Also stay away from work because I know of people who you died while working too.... Fuck what can we do? Maybe we should all pray to God as he's the only thing saving us from this dangerous world.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Keep it civil please people

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/10/17 09:41:32]

over a year ago

When you consider this was the worse storm on record to hit Ireland, I would say we got off relatively lightly, I'm sure everyone would agree that is something to be thankful for. The meteorological service was always going to be scrutinised for their decisions, as was the governments action plan in response to this hurricane. And while some may criticise their actions, I think the majority of people are supportive of how this was managed, as is testament with this thread, and may I be so bold as to say, some of us might even be proud as a nation, with the comradreship people have shown to each other throughout this experience.

over a year ago

Ok what’s said has been said

Now it’s all about helping those affected - saw last nights shops opening there doors to the homeless to try keep them out of harms way. There was a thing on the newd last week and yes it was about homeless people but it could have been about anything

What words stuck with me - if you can help then help if you can and I am sure there thousands that could do with a bit of help over the next few day

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan
over a year ago

Tipperary

more bad weather coming Thursday to Saturday

By *orguyMan
over a year ago

Tuam

We got next to nothing either. Just another rainy day. All it takes is a branch of a tree to kill someone. So if the red alert kept people out of harms way wasn't it well worth it.

By that rationale then people should never leave the house as any can kill them in fact don't stay in the house as that's just as dangerous as outside if not more so and what ever you do don't go near water or drive a car as people die every day in water and in cars. Also stay away from work because I know of people who you died while working too.... Fuck what can we do? Maybe we should all pray to God as he's the only thing saving us from this dangerous world. "

Such a silly post. You cannot compare yesterday to any ordinary day because the risk of injury or death was much higher yesterday.

Risk assessments are done everyday and control measures put in place to avoid injury or death.Yesterday's hazard control was to stay indoors and no doubt this saved many lives.

I taught it was very well handled yesterday and the authorities were correct to react the way they did.

And the 3 lives lost were because of the storm and not everyday situations so you cannot compare them either.

RIP to those who died.

over a year ago

We got next to nothing either. Just another rainy day. All it takes is a branch of a tree to kill someone. So if the red alert kept people out of harms way wasn't it well worth it.

By that rationale then people should never leave the house as any can kill them in fact don't stay in the house as that's just as dangerous as outside if not more so and what ever you do don't go near water or drive a car as people die every day in water and in cars. Also stay away from work because I know of people who you died while working too.... Fuck what can we do? Maybe we should all pray to God as he's the only thing saving us from this dangerous world.

Such a silly post. You cannot compare yesterday to any ordinary day because the risk of injury or death was much higher yesterday.

Risk assessments are done everyday and control measures put in place to avoid injury or death.Yesterday's hazard control was to stay indoors and no doubt this saved many lives.

I taught it was very well handled yesterday and the authorities were correct to react the way they did.

And the 3 lives lost were because of the storm and not everyday situations so you cannot compare them either.

RIP to those who died."

Nicely put

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Finally made it home just now after a long 26hrs in work helping others..... assessing my own damage and just a few minor repairs to make.

Guys, In situations like what happened (which luckily isn’t often) we should all pull together. We are all neighbours and friends and should be there for each other, not bickering about who was hit worse or who got off lightly...

Now who’s starting a Kiss, Fuck, Pass thread so we can all carry on and get back to normality

Foo

over a year ago

"Finally made it home just now after a long 26hrs in work helping others..... assessing my own damage and just a few minor repairs to make.

Guys, In situations like what happened (which luckily isn’t often) we should all pull together. We are all neighbours and friends and should be there for each other, not bickering about who was hit worse or who got off lightly...

Now who’s starting a Kiss, Fuck, Pass thread so we can all carry on and get back to normality

Foo "

Glad you’re ok, Foo. Fair play to you and all the emergency services.

We’re lucky to have you all! x

over a year ago

"Finally made it home just now after a long 26hrs in work helping others..... assessing my own damage and just a few minor repairs to make.

Foo "

FUCK

By *ain4uWoman
over a year ago

dublin

Reading this thread turns me off the forums... for so many reasons. Please everyone..and I mean EVERYONE..''think'' before you press post. Horrible thread tbh ..on so many levels

By *ain4uWoman
over a year ago

dublin

"Reading this thread turns me off the forums... for so many reasons. Please everyone..and I mean EVERYONE..''think'' before you press post. Horrible thread tbh ..on so many levels "

Ps.. this is not aimed at just the op .. the whole thing just feels off to me. . I don't like anyone getting verbally attacked for having an opinion.. just think before you post.. xx xx xx xx

over a year ago

"Reading this thread turns me off the forums... for so many reasons. Please everyone..and I mean EVERYONE..''think'' before you press post. Horrible thread tbh ..on so many levels

Ps.. this is not aimed at just the op .. the whole thing just feels off to me. . I don't like anyone getting verbally attacked for having an opinion.. just think before you post.. xx xx xx xx

"

I agree I am finding uncomfortable tbh

over a year ago

"Reading this thread turns me off the forums... for so many reasons. Please everyone..and I mean EVERYONE..''think'' before you press post. Horrible thread tbh ..on so many levels

"

always happens you voice something they don't like load them jump in with the abuse lol

By *tranTV/TS
over a year ago

City

It hit Dublin hard, windows blown out, roofs off some sheds blown off, solar panels blown off the roof, and the Dublin Fire clearing maybe 30 fallen trees, and the luas building damaged.

If there was no red warning, double decker buses would have fallen over, people/cars would have been hit by falling trees, traffic would have become chaos, the emergency services wouldn't have been able to get to incidents.

Dublin was hit hard but had more emergency services ready to tackle it. They were clearing trees as they fell etc.

I was following Dublin Fire Brigade on twitter, they were literally at it non stop. Very impressive, and saying they didn't get hit hard doesn't do them service.

By *tranTV/TS
over a year ago

City

"It wasn't as if the op was making a joke about their deaths but for the whole country wide panic that seemed to take over the country you'd swear it was the apocalypse that was coming with people panic buying supplies.

"

But 200 - 300 thousand people were without electricity. That means everything in the fridge/freezer will spoil, and for a lot no way to cook the food.

At least 100 thousand lost water.

If you were one of them people, you'd be feeling very clever and smug that you bought some water, some bread, some tins of fish etc etc

Post new Message to Thread