Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Sympathy or empathy??

Jump to newest

By *atthewsundri OP   Man
over a year ago

dundrum

Does anyone actually know the difference and can they explain it??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Does anyone actually know the difference and can they explain it??"

Google does..

over a year ago

Sympathy is when you feel sorry for another person for something they are going through...emphathy is when you can put yourself in that person's situation and imagine what they are feeling. I think that's the difference

By *athybCouple
over a year ago

Athlone

"Sympathy is when you feel sorry for another person for something they are going through...emphathy is when you can put yourself in that person's situation and imagine what they are feeling. I think that's the difference"

That's exactly what I was going to say....that's how I see it too

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

"Sympathy is when you feel sorry for another person for something they are going through...emphathy is when you can put yourself in that person's situation and imagine what they are feeling. I think that's the difference

That's exactly what I was going to say....that's how I see it too"

-----------

My bad ladies

I used the word "empathy" in his WORKING TODAY?? post and instead of taking 15 seconds to Google this is the result ...

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/10/17 14:22:53]

over a year ago

dundrum

I should have put this im my intro without saying "put yourself in their shoes"!! Can anybody explain it abit better than that!!

over a year ago

"I should have put this im my intro without saying "put yourself in their shoes"!! Can anybody explain it abit better than that!! "

Why don't you since the suggestions weren't what you wanted!

over a year ago

dundrum

"I should have put this im my intro without saying "put yourself in their shoes"!! Can anybody explain it abit better than that!!

Why don't you since the suggestions weren't what you wanted!"

I can't distinguish between the both I have never been giving a proper explanation

over a year ago

"I should have put this im my intro without saying "put yourself in their shoes"!! Can anybody explain it abit better than that!!

Why don't you since the suggestions weren't what you wanted! I can't distinguish between the both I have never been giving a proper explanation "

Empathy vs. Sympathy. Empathy is the ability to experience the feelings of another person. It goes beyond sympathy, which is caring and understanding for the suffering of others. Both words are used similarly and often interchangeably (incorrectly so) but differ subtly in their emotional meaning. That's one of the definitions online

over a year ago

Why don't you since the suggestions weren't what you wanted! I can't distinguish between the both I have never been giving a proper explanation "

You have, you've just moved the goal posts after you were given a succinct answer

over a year ago

dundrum

Why don't you since the suggestions weren't what you wanted! I can't distinguish between the both I have never been giving a proper explanation

Empathy vs. Sympathy. Empathy is the ability to experience the feelings of another person. It goes beyond sympathy, which is caring and understanding for the suffering of others. Both words are used similarly and often interchangeably (incorrectly so) but differ subtly in their emotional meaning. That's one of the definitions online

"

yeah I know but Ya can't experience someone else's feeling that's bullshit just saying like

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

Why don't you since the suggestions weren't what you wanted! I can't distinguish between the both I have never been giving a proper explanation

yeah I know but Ya can't experience someone else's feeling that's bullshit just saying like"

You can if you have empathy

over a year ago

dundrum

yeah I know but Ya can't experience someone else's feeling that's bullshit just saying like

You can if you have empathy "

lol ffs well played

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

You can if you have empathy lol ffs well played "

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

yeah I know but Ya can't experience someone else's feeling that's bullshit just saying like"

When you feel sorry for someone and think nice person, they don't deserve that... that's sympathy.

When you know exactly what they are going through as you feel for them, that's empathy. It's like when you hear similar stories but one you think is sad and the other affects your mood emotionally. The first is sympathy, the second is empathy.

over a year ago

dundrum

When you feel sorry for someone and think nice person, they don't deserve that... that's sympathy.

When you know exactly what they are going through as you feel for them, that's empathy. It's like when you hear similar stories but one you think is sad and the other affects your mood emotionally. The first is sympathy, the second is empathy. "

right interesting

over a year ago

Ok, the difference. Sympathy is when you feel sorry or pity for a person. For example, if a person breaks a limb or gets knocked down or someone they know passes away then you would feel sympathy for them.

Empathy is kind of similar only you don't just think how the person may be feeling, you know how they are feeling and can totally relate to it, probably from having experienced the same thing or similar.

So..... basically say someone gets knocked down....... I've never been knocked down but I can imagine how it feels and know it must be sore as I have suffered knocks etc in other ways so I would be sympathising.

If someone were suffering depression and is feeling suicidal, well I have been through that so I know exactly how it feels, or say if a close relative or friend passed away, again I have been through that, so I am standing in the same shoes as the other person and know exactly how they are feeling so in that sense I am emphasising with and can truly say I know how you're feeling. Hope that all makes sense. Lol

over a year ago

dundrum

"Ok, the difference. Sympathy is when you feel sorry or pity for a person. For example, if a person breaks a limb or gets knocked down or someone they know passes away then you would feel sympathy for them.

Empathy is kind of similar only you don't just think how the person may be feeling, you know how they are feeling and can totally relate to it, probably from having experienced the same thing or similar.

So..... basically say someone gets knocked down....... I've never been knocked down but I can imagine how it feels and know it must be sore as I have suffered knocks etc in other ways so I would be sympathising.

If someone were suffering depression and is feeling suicidal, well I have been through that so I know exactly how it feels, or say if a close relative or friend passed away, again I have been through that, so I am standing in the same shoes as the other person and know exactly how they are feeling so in that sense I am emphasising with and can truly say I know how you're feeling. Hope that all makes sense. Lol"

ok I think I'm getting it now! But In my profession im told to empathise with people and not just give them sympathy yet I haven't experienced what a lot of people are feeling so I'm like wtf??

over a year ago

"Ok, the difference. Sympathy is when you feel sorry or pity for a person. For example, if a person breaks a limb or gets knocked down or someone they know passes away then you would feel sympathy for them.

If someone were suffering depression and is feeling suicidal, well I have been through that so I know exactly how it feels, or say if a close relative or friend passed away, again I have been through that, so I am standing in the same shoes as the other person and know exactly how they are feeling so in that sense I am emphasising with and can truly say I know how you're feeling. Hope that all makes sense. Lol ok I think I'm getting it now! But In my profession im told to empathise with people and not just give them sympathy yet I haven't experienced what a lot of people are feeling so I'm like wtf??"

What is your profession and what kind of things have they been through?

over a year ago

Op you can't just have empathy. ..some people are naturally more empathetic then others ..that's life. I think with time and life experience though we become more empathetic to others. Caring profession ??

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"Op you can't just have empathy. ..some people are naturally more empathetic then others ..that's life. I think with time and life experience though we become more empathetic to others. Caring profession ?? "

Don’t you mean sympathetic?

over a year ago

dundrum

"Op you can't just have empathy. ..some people are naturally more empathetic then others ..that's life. I think with time and life experience though we become more empathetic to others. Caring profession ??

Don’t you mean sympathetic? "

jaysus I should not have started this thread

By *ugarandspice101Couple
over a year ago

Belfast

If someone were suffering depression and is feeling suicidal, well I have been through that so I know exactly how it feels, or say if a close relative or friend passed away, again I have been through that, so I am standing in the same shoes as the other person and know exactly how they are feeling so in that sense I am emphasising with and can truly say I know how you're feeling. Hope that all makes sense. Lol ok I think I'm getting it now! But In my profession im told to empathise with people and not just give them sympathy yet I haven't experienced what a lot of people are feeling so I'm like wtf??"

Try to imagine how you would feel in the other persons shoes. It will bring a level of understanding how they are feeling

over a year ago

dundrum

There is that stepping into someone else's shoes statement again

over a year ago

"Op you can't just have empathy. ..some people are naturally more empathetic then others ..that's life. I think with time and life experience though we become more empathetic to others. Caring profession ??

Don’t you mean sympathetic? jaysus I should not have started this thread "

I'm starting to sympathise with ya

over a year ago

dundrum

Don’t you mean sympathetic? jaysus I should not have started this thread

I'm starting to sympathise with ya "

over a year ago

Don’t you mean sympathetic? "

No i meant empathetic

By *DedalusMan
over a year ago

London

I feel that empathy is abundant in Ireland and helps make the culture that we have. People tend to act in a way that minimises pissing people off, with an inherent care for how it might make people feel...sometimes to an extreme. Still, as I work with a lot of psychopaths / sociopaths, I'd sooner by empathetic....more friends that way and a better laugh.

over a year ago

"I feel that empathy is abundant in Ireland and helps make the culture that we have. People tend to act in a way that minimises pissing people off, with an inherent care for how it might make people feel...sometimes to an extreme. Still, as I work with a lot of psychopaths / sociopaths, I'd sooner by empathetic....more friends that way and a better laugh. "

Surely your not suggesting the op is a psychopath

By *DedalusMan
over a year ago

London

"I feel that empathy is abundant in Ireland and helps make the culture that we have. People tend to act in a way that minimises pissing people off, with an inherent care for how it might make people feel...sometimes to an extreme. Still, as I work with a lot of psychopaths / sociopaths, I'd sooner by empathetic....more friends that way and a better laugh.

Surely your not suggesting the op is a psychopath "

Not in the slightest...on the contrary! My point is that even if not completely empathetic ourselves individually we operate in a culture that, overall, is empathetic.

over a year ago

"I feel that empathy is abundant in Ireland and helps make the culture that we have. People tend to act in a way that minimises pissing people off, with an inherent care for how it might make people feel...sometimes to an extreme. Still, as I work with a lot of psychopaths / sociopaths, I'd sooner by empathetic....more friends that way and a better laugh.

Surely your not suggesting the op is a psychopath

Not in the slightest...on the contrary! My point is that even if not completely empathetic ourselves individually we operate in a culture that, overall, is empathetic."

Some of the best craic I've had was with a psychopath

over a year ago

dundrum

Surely your not suggesting the op is a psychopath "

yeah I'm a complete nut job

over a year ago

Surely your not suggesting the op is a psychopath yeah I'm a complete nut job "

haha now im emphatising with you

Post new Message to Thread