Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

How old is too old to be a Dad?

Jump to newest

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Curious as to your thoughts on this.

What age do you think is the oldest, reasonable age that a man could knowingly and willingly become a father?

Assume married and mostly stable status in most respects.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iffaWoman
over a year ago

wherever

50?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's about the quality of life.

Having a kid in late 50's means you are 70+ when kid turns adult. Lots of stuff will be missed out on because of age gap. 30's into 40's best time.

6o's & 70's is just wrong.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Probably 30s really. Depends on how active and what way okd age effects someone as well.

over a year ago

"40 "

over a year ago

I'm 58 and I look after 2 of my grandkids 4 or 5 days a week while the parents work.

I am wrecked by time they go home. God knows how I'd feel if I had them 24 hours a day.

I'd say 40 ish in reply to the OP's question.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I know op, you're just asking that for a friend.........but CONGRATULaTIONS!

By *uckypuppy007Woman
over a year ago

dublin

"I know op, you're just asking that for a friend.........but CONGRATULaTIONS! "

over a year ago

I wouldn't worry about what others think.. people have kids in their 20s and society says it's too young.. people have kids in their late 30s and apparently its to old.. when its your time then just go with it

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

No congratulations in order.

Though I'll take good feelings from anywhere, so thanks for them

No, pub conversation a week or two back with a guy whose wife wants one more. They have boy and girl, both between 5-10yrs old. He's 50 and she's 40+ and wants one more. General consensus was, your on the cusp of Past It and she's in risky territory. No definite answers but a case of weighing up the pros and cons and deciding.

I know we may not be fans of George Hook for certain comments but one of his beliefs I repeated on the night. If you can't see them through to the end of their college days, then don't.

Thoughts?

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

Look at Mick jagger how old is he .

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

"Look at Mick jagger how old is he . "

His financial circumstances are slightly, just slightly, different.

Same point was made on Hook. George's response was, He mightn't be there, but he has certainly provided for them through to adulthood.

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

Yes but every parent would have to be able to look after their kids .

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

Well im gona be a dad again in few weeks

Im 58 .bird 27

Wasnt planed by no means but got deal with it .never thought id become a dad again but its happend

I split with her last week .we had few issuses .but trying to sort then out .but if we dont ill still be tber for the baby

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

Wish you the best man hope you get on with your lady friend .

over a year ago

"No congratulations in order.

No, pub conversation a week or two back with a guy whose wife wants one more. They have boy and girl, both between 5-10yrs old. He's 50 and she's 40+ and wants one more. General consensus was, your on the cusp of Past It and she's in risky territory. No definite answers but a case of weighing up the pros and cons and deciding.

I know we may not be fans of George Hook for certain comments but one of his beliefs I repeated on the night. If you can't see them through to the end of their college days, then don't.

Thoughts?"

Even a 20 year old dad isn't guaranteed to see his kids through college

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

"Wish you the best man hope you get on with your lady friend . "

Thanks m8

over a year ago

"Well im gona be a dad again in few weeks

Im 58 .bird 27

Wasnt planed by no means but got deal with it .never thought id become a dad again but its happend

I split with her last week .we had few issuses .but trying to sort then out .but if we dont ill still be tber for the baby "

How old are your other kids? What do they think about a new sibling?

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

"No congratulations in order.

Thoughts?

Even a 20 year old dad isn't guaranteed to see his kids through college"

True that. Life doesn't come with any guarantees. We were just discussing the averages in pub and said he'd probably get to the 21st but anything after that was a blessing.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

Im 58 .bird 27

I split with her last week .we had few issuses .but trying to sort then out .but if we dont ill still be tber for the baby

How old are your other kids? What do they think about a new sibling?"

My 30yr old daughter i v not seen her in yrs so she dont no .and my 19yr old son .he ok with it .he lives with me anyway

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Im 58 .bird 27

I split with her last week .we had few issuses .but trying to sort then out .but if we dont ill still be tber f the baby "

Congratulations and hope ye patch everything up.

My mate has been asked by wife though, so it'll be a conscious, mutual decision, so there's choice involved.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

Im 58 .bird 27

I split with her last week .we had few issuses .but trying to sort then out .but if we dont ill still be tber f the baby

My mate has been asked by wife though, so it'll be a conscious, mutual decision, so there's choice involved."

We didnt plan it .

over a year ago

Im 58 .bird 27

How old are your other kids? What do they think about a new sibling?

My 30yr old daughter i v not seen her in yrs so she dont no .and my 19yr old son .he ok with it .he lives with me anyway"

Ok

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Im 58 .bird 27

I split with her last week .we had few issuses .but trying to sort then out .but if we dont ill still be tber f the baby

My mate has been asked by wife though, so it'll be a conscious, mutual decision, so there's choice involved.

We didnt plan it ."

I got that. Hence my comment about choice, so different scenarios.

The question is whether it's right at whatever age, when you have a choice.

If it happens by accident, you don't have a choice.

over a year ago

We actually red about this in a paper, where the lady in question couldnt have children well she could but she was going true ivf treatment. Now the couple where married for like 50 years or something she finally got pregant at 50 odd and the husband was aged 60 odd. But he actually dirvorced her because he was afraid the baby might keep him awake at night time or during his nap hours. An said himself she got what she wanted an that was that he up an left her.

So id say no older than 45 i think at that age its the last thing anyone want too bring into this world it just would be cruel in my eyes. i can only speak for ourselfs though we personally wouldnt. Not with our life spam record in our familys.

By *ohndunboyne OP   Man
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not a runner really. Wondering if she wants a child to"save the marriage" or something else specific that he hasn't mentioned. He says she's dead set on it, passionately.

Another mate was in same boat but he was 46 and she was 36 so, very different.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

My question is is why assuming married? That's a bit of a dated way of thinking?

By *eductively_SweetWoman
over a year ago

wexford

my dad is 62 and had a 10yr old.. the age dont effect him atal he fitter and younger looking because of it.. all u need to be is a good dad and have quality time ur age shouldnt matter really

By *un4tooCouple
over a year ago

north cork

"my dad is 62 and had a 10yr old.. the age dont effect him atal he fitter and younger looking because of it.. all u need to be is a good dad and have quality time ur age shouldnt matter really "

Agree.

Never too old. As long as you give the child everything it needs then i don't see the difference in you being a 30 year old or a 60 year old.

Post new Message to Thread