Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

I'm entitled to my opinion

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Seeing some people are getting mixed up on this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express it.

But since when did the rest of us have to respect the opinion of another?

Just saying...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

diversity is a wonderful thing..we all came from different back grounds and were brough up differently so therefore we have different opinions on life in general..I think we should respect that difference instead of trying to crush people with differing views

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"Seeing some people are getting mixed up on this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express it.

But since when did the rest of us have to respect the opinion of another?

Just saying..."

care to give some context ?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

People have different opinions, you don't have to respect their opinion, just their right to it.

over a year ago

"People have different opinions, you don't have to respect their opinion, just their right to it. "

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So if someone expresses an offensive moronic possibly stupid view?

If someone posts an opinion simply to get a reaction?

We should have a group hug and tell him/her/it how wonderful they are?

Snowflake anyone?

By *longshottMan
over a year ago

Limerick

I dare not give my true opinion on this in case it upsets one or a certain group. This probably will anyway.

over a year ago

Hook and Newstalk, have issued a unreserved apology.

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

One has a right to express an opinion, and others have the right to dismiss it.

Also people nowadays think their opinions are better than facts.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"One has a right to express an opinion, and others have the right to dismiss it.

Also people nowadays think their opinions are better than facts. "

Yep, that's the key. Opinions are not fact and may be factually incorrect. If I feel someone's opinion relies on factual wrongs then I have no problem with telling them that.

over a year ago

Every person has a right to express an opinion, sadly some people think they are 'entitled' to give their opinion. However, no one has an entitlement to anything.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Every person has a right to express an opinion, sadly some people think they are 'entitled' to give their opinion. However, no one has an entitlement to anything."

The first two parts of that appear to contradict each other.

over a year ago

"Every person has a right to express an opinion, sadly some people think they are 'entitled' to give their opinion. However, no one has an entitlement to anything.

The first two parts of that appear to contradict each other. "

Not really. Every person has a right to express an opinion, even if you don't agree with it, it's still their opinion. However, some people think they are entitled to give their opinion. These people usually keep forcing their opinions on people and will continue to only believe their own hype. When some has an opinion and you don't agree with it, you can debate your side against there's with your viewpoint but you don't force your viewpoint on them and say that you are correct and they are wrong.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Every person has a right to express an opinion, sadly some people think they are 'entitled' to give their opinion. However, no one has an entitlement to anything."

anybody is entitled to give their opinion..this is the beauty of living in a republic,,I dont think many people realize this..some people go on as if Ireland was a communist state like russia where freedom of speech is alowed as long as the powers that be agree with it..this is what Ireland is like..supposedly a free country but no freedom of speech

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Every person has a right to express an opinion, sadly some people think they are 'entitled' to give their opinion. However, no one has an entitlement to anything.

Not really. Every person has a right to express an opinion, even if you don't agree with it, it's still their opinion. However, some people think they are entitled to give their opinion. These people usually keep forcing their opinions on people and will continue to only believe their own hype. When some has an opinion and you don't agree with it, you can debate your side against there's with your viewpoint but you don't force your viewpoint on them and say that you are correct and they are wrong. "

What's the difference between expressing an opinion and giving an opinion. Surely they're the same thing?

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

anybody is entitled to give their opinion..this is the beauty of living in a republic,,I dont think many people realize this..some people go on as if Ireland was a communist state like russia where freedom of speech is alowed as long as the powers that be agree with it..this is what Ireland is like..supposedly a free country but no freedom of speech "

Who's denying you freedom of speech?

over a year ago

anybody is entitled to give their opinion..this is the beauty of living in a republic,,I dont think many people realize this..some people go on as if Ireland was a communist state like russia where freedom of speech is alowed as long as the powers that be agree with it..this is what Ireland is like..supposedly a free country but no freedom of speech "

There's no freedom of speech Cosmic in the Republic of Ireland under the Constitution. If there was freedom of speech, the libel and blasphemy laws would be non existent. I'm open to correction but I've never seen freedom of speech written in the Constitution.

over a year ago

Not really. Every person has a right to express an opinion, even if you don't agree with it, it's still their opinion. However, some people think they are entitled to give their opinion. These people usually keep forcing their opinions on people and will continue to only believe their own hype. When some has an opinion and you don't agree with it, you can debate your side against there's with your viewpoint but you don't force your viewpoint on them and say that you are correct and they are wrong.

What's the difference between expressing an opinion and giving an opinion. Surely they're the same thing? "

Yeah they are both the same thing and good things. My comment was about people who feel they are 'entitled' to give an opinion. Which, in my view is very different to giving or expressing an opinion.

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

anybody is entitled to give their opinion..this is the beauty of living in a republic,,I dont think many people realize this..some people go on as if Ireland was a communist state like russia where freedom of speech is alowed as long as the powers that be agree with it..this is what Ireland is like..supposedly a free country but no freedom of speech

Who's denying you freedom of speech? "

If you give an opinion that doesn't adhere to what the masses think you get chastised and castigated until you grovel and apologise just like what george hook had to do today..no freedom of speech there

over a year ago

If you give an opinion that doesn't adhere to what the masses think you get chastised and castigated until you grovel and apologise just like what george hook had to do today..no freedom of speech there "

I don't know what George Hook did but I heard someone earlier say he and NewsTalk gave an apology over something. I'd say the only reason they apologised was because of advertising revenue been lost. Bullshit walks and money talks in this country. There was some website a few weeks ago chastised over something someone said and loads of companies pulled their ads from it because of 'customer sentiment'.

By *ohnandGemCouple
over a year ago

Louth/Meath/Dublin

If you give an opinion that doesn't adhere to what the masses think you get chastised and castigated until you grovel and apologise just like what george hook had to do today..no freedom of speech there "

Incorrect. Once again, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

What's the difference between expressing an opinion and giving an opinion. Surely they're the same thing?

Yeah they are both the same thing and good things. My comment was about people who feel they are 'entitled' to give an opinion. Which, in my view is very different to giving or expressing an opinion."

I'm coming to the conclusion that "entitled" is not the word you're looking for.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

If you express an opinion that breaks the law then there are consequences and rightly so, in my opinion. I have no idea what that clown said but "she was asking for it" is not an opinion that you should be allowed to freely express without question. Being questioned by "the masses" is hardly much of an imposition for someone who holds strong opinions.

over a year ago

Yeah they are both the same thing and good things. My comment was about people who feel they are 'entitled' to give an opinion. Which, in my view is very different to giving or expressing an opinion.

I'm coming to the conclusion that "entitled" is not the word you're looking for. "

And that is your opinion and I good sir, respect that.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

I'm coming to the conclusion that "entitled" is not the word you're looking for.

And that is your opinion and I good sir, respect that."

No, it's a fact. You've said people have a right to express an opinion but they're not entitled to give their opinion. Those two statements contradict each other.

over a year ago

And that is your opinion and I good sir, respect that.

No, it's a fact. You've said people have a right to express an opinion but they're not entitled to give their opinion. Those two statements contradict each other. "

Okay, I'm wrong and I contradict myself. Either way, I gave my opinion and I'm finished with it now and don't wish to get into an argument as that's a totally different thing altogether.

Post new Message to Thread