Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Homeless crisis

Jump to newest

By *longshott OP   Man
over a year ago

Limerick

I constantly hearing about this lately in the media. However what I hear in media and what I hear from people in general seems totally different. Are there aspects of this crisis that are beyond just what is seen as face value?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

I think there's a lot more to this Yes we have people on the streets and I agree it's shame full but at the same time we have people refusing housing for some farcical reasons like wrong area or the garden is to small or the dog next door barks

Maybe I am off the mark here a tad but u can bet there are some of those offered housing that doesn't suit them declaring as homeless

By *longshott OP   Man
over a year ago

Limerick

"I think there's a lot more to this Yes we have people on the streets and I agree it's shame full but at the same time we have people refusing housing for some farcical reasons like wrong area or the garden is to small or the dog next door barks

Maybe I am off the mark here a tad but u can bet there are some of those offered housing that doesn't suit them declaring as homeless "

Wouldn't know honestly about that cj but I get the impression it's governed by vote getting and political correctness. From listening to people there seems to be complex issues involved that are totally being ignored.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/09/17 14:13:48]

over a year ago

This government are not in the business of building social housing. Six and a half years and less than a thousand houses built.

Meanwhile we have vulture funds being sold property and mortgage debt who are forcing people from their homes via the courts.

We have more homeless children now than we've ever had. Health, education, infrastructure, mental health all in the tank. Over a billion wasted on the quango that is Irish water. A big payrise recently for all in Leinster house. Constant spin and bluster from the government. Keep the recovery going my arse.

A major change is needed. Nobody is ever held accountable. The rich get richer and everyone else struggling to survive.

If two people don't work there is no hope of getting a mortgage. For most in Dublin they are priced out of the market.

The blue shirts and their cronies in FF and LAB are to blame for it all.

over a year ago

People on the housing list and in emergency accomdation will now be offered homes down the country, I wonder how many will take up the offer.

over a year ago

"I think there's a lot more to this Yes we have people on the streets and I agree it's shame full but at the same time we have people refusing housing for some farcical reasons like wrong area or the garden is to small or the dog next door barks

Maybe I am off the mark here a tad but u can bet there are some of those offered housing that doesn't suit them declaring as homeless "

I agree its a complex problem, when it comes to accomodation in Ireland, firstly their is two housing lists. 90 thousand plus people are on the social housing list, and this application allows for people to pick three areas of their choice, they can turn down the first two areas offered, for whatever reason, and are then left with the third option.Application process is far outdated..The second list is Homeless, currently 8 thousand, b and bs, emergency accomodation, staying with friends etc, also within this you have another percentage who are priority homeless..

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"This government are not in the business of building social housing. Six and a half years and less than a thousand houses built.

Meanwhile we have vulture funds being sold property and mortgage debt who are forcing people from their homes via the courts.

We have more homeless children now than we've ever had. Health, education, infrastructure, mental health all in the tank. Over a billion wasted on the quango that is Irish water. A big payrise recently for all in Leinster house. Constant spin and bluster from the government. Keep the recovery going my arse.

A major change is needed. Nobody is ever held accountable. The rich get richer and everyone else struggling to survive.

If two people don't work there is no hope of getting a mortgage. For most in Dublin they are priced out of the market.

The blue shirts and their cronies in FF and LAB are to blame for it all."

Yes you have hit a lot there u can add in health and also social welfare also a fair deal for those fortunate to have work but all those things are down to the population of Ireland consistently voting the same cronies in and from my point of view there is no strong reputable opposition

Since they took the main infrastructure away from councils we have a massively improved road system across the state ie motorways, I am under the impression if the same was done in the line of housing it might take alot of the local politics out of the system. A national housing authority that could assess the waiting lists in each area also look at projected population growth and provide housing on that basis rather than the lobbying of local councils that goes on at the moment

This would also alow the tendering for such schemes to be more controlled and deriving better value for the tax payer

By *longshott OP   Man
over a year ago

Limerick

"This government are not in the business of building social housing. Six and a half years and less than a thousand houses built.

The blue shirts and their cronies in FF and LAB are to blame for it all."

A lot of truth. Our government seem to have an I'm alright Jack Feck you attitude to the electorate.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"People on the housing list and in emergency accomdation will now be offered homes down the country, I wonder how many will take up the offer. "

I see where ur coming from but there are homeless that trough no fault of their own can't afford or obtain a house in the area they need to be ie they are possibly working and need to be near their job because commuting for hrs won't pay them to hold on to the job

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

A lot of truth. Our government seem to have an I'm alright Jack Feck you attitude to the electorate."

Not just this one but many more before them

By *longshott OP   Man
over a year ago

Limerick

A lot of truth. Our government seem to have an I'm alright Jack Feck you attitude to the electorate.

Not just this one but many more before them "

The woes of democracy lol.

over a year ago

"People on the housing list and in emergency accomdation will now be offered homes down the country, I wonder how many will take up the offer.

I see where ur coming from but there are homeless that trough no fault of their own can't afford or obtain a house in the area they need to be ie they are possibly working and need to be near their job because commuting for hrs won't pay them to hold on to the job "

I do agree. There isn't, and never will be, and one fix solution to the problem. There is also the case that some people just want to be homeless, or least can't function in a structured living environment.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"People on the housing list and in emergency accomdation will now be offered homes down the country, I wonder how many will take up the offer.

I see where ur coming from but there are homeless that trough no fault of their own can't afford or obtain a house in the area they need to be ie they are possibly working and need to be near their job because commuting for hrs won't pay them to hold on to the job

I do agree. There isn't, and never will be, and one fix solution to the problem. There is also the case that some people just want to be homeless, or least can't function in a structured living environment. "

Yes but that's not to say we shouldn't provide some kind of shelter for them

There's no one stop solution I agree but there's a lot better way than the way we are now operating

over a year ago

"

Since they took the main infrastructure away from councils we have a massively improved road system across the state ie motorways "

I'm afraid I can't agree with you there. It takes almost 2 hours to drive the 100km between Ireland's second and third largest cities in Cork and Limerick via second class roads through bottleneck like Charleville and Buttevant.

Meanwhile it takes 2 hours to drive the 200km from Limerick to Dublin on an unbroken motorway.

In 6.5 years in Government I honestly cannot off the top of my head think of anything positive FG have done for this country or the majority of its citizens.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/09/17 14:43:31]

By *longshott OP   Man
over a year ago

Limerick

"

Since they took the main infrastructure away from councils we have a massively improved road system across the state ie motorways

I'm afraid I can't agree with you there. It takes almost 2 hours to drive the 100km between Ireland's second and third largest cities in Cork and Limerick via second class roads through bottleneck like Charleville and Buttevant.

Meanwhile it takes 2 hours to drive the 200km from Limerick to Dublin on an unbroken motorway.

In 6.5 years in Government I honestly cannot off the top of my head think of anything positive FG have done for this country or the majority of its citizens."

It's the nature of our system. More interested in keeping their cushy number so do anything to stay in office. Any government we elect is the same.

over a year ago

I do agree. There isn't, and never will be, and one fix solution to the problem. There is also the case that some people just want to be homeless, or least can't function in a structured living environment.

There's no one stop solution I agree but there's a lot better way than the way we are now operating "

Definitely better ways. But I think there's more than just the Government who need to take the blame. Society as a hole don't help the situation and neither do a lot of the homeless charities.

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer either.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"

Since they took the main infrastructure away from councils we have a massively improved road system across the state ie motorways

In 6.5 years in Government I honestly cannot off the top of my head think of anything positive FG have done for this country or the majority of its citizens."

Leaving the politics out of it for a minute, are you saying that because one particular route hasn't improved then nothing has improved? I'm certainly not giving any particular party the credit but our road network has improved dramatically in the last twentyfive years. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

over a year ago

"

In 6.5 years in Government I honestly cannot off the top of my head think of anything positive FG have done for this country or the majority of its citizens.

It's the nature of our system. More interested in keeping their cushy number so do anything to stay in office. Any government we elect is the same."

I totally agree. Politics and politicians drive me nuts.

The only positive I can take from it is that the younger generation will not fall for the government spin and are much more savvy in terms of educating themselves via online forums and through website's. Not via watching RTE Bias or the Denis O'Brien owned media.

The majority of people voting for the traditional parties in my opinion are getting older and slowly dying out.

Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel but the only way anything changes unfortunately is to protest or complain to your local TD that you ain't voting for them again.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"

Yes u are dead right but the ground work is there for that connection to be made awaiting the funds to go ahead it's not a top of the agenda in times of recession when there's is a smaller pot of funds available, however the for sight of our government not to use the past eight years to pursue the building of social housing when it would have provided work for many value for money to the taxpayer. considering the building costs of such units would have being down on what they were and will be going forward,hence my suggestion of a national housing authority they would have a longer vision of what's needed than a politicians life expectancy of four years

over a year ago

"

Leaving the politics out of it for a minute, are you saying that because one particular route hasn't improved then nothing has improved? I'm certainly not giving any particular party the credit but our road network has improved dramatically in the last twentyfive years. To say otherwise is ridiculous. "

Most of the road network was completed before 2011 when FG were first elected.

It is not just one particular route. It is a route between the countries second and third largest cities. A route if ever completed would open up the western corridor serving a large population of the country.

By *isdirtygirlWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

"I constantly hearing about this lately in the media. However what I hear in media and what I hear from people in general seems totally different. Are there aspects of this crisis that are beyond just what is seen as face value?"

Theyre too busy patting themselves on the back for creating hubs and project housing near Ikea. One such hub opened recently in an industrial estate no doubt! The deserted bargaintown building in coolock has been revamped to remove people from hotels and place them there instead.

The project housing is another temporary stopover for families where they remain for 6 months max. So where do they go after their " temporary" stopover runs out?

Now i know a young mum whos living in a hotel with her 6 year old daughter. They want to place her in the hub in coolock but yet she works part time in swords and her daughter attends school in swords and the young mum doesnt drive.

Yeah theyve all the answers havent they

By *longshott OP   Man
over a year ago

Limerick

"

It's the nature of our system. More interested in keeping their cushy number so do anything to stay in office. Any government we elect is the same.

The only positive I can take from it is that the younger generation will not fall for the government spin and are much more savvy in terms of educating themselves via online forums and through website's. Not via watching RTE Bias or the Denis O'Brien owned media.

The majority of people voting for the traditional parties in my opinion are getting older and slowly dying out.

Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel but the only way anything changes unfortunately is to protest or complain to your local TD that you ain't voting for them again."

You can't govern the people on the ground from the walled castle on the hill. For example the private sector are being pestered to invest in private pensions by a government who's lavish pensions are paid for by that exact private sector. I think those politicians should also pay as they are encouraging and experience what they are preaching.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

There's no one stop solution I agree but there's a lot better way than the way we are now operating

Definitely better ways. But I think there's more than just the Government who need to take the blame. Society as a hole don't help the situation and neither do a lot of the homeless charities.

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer either. "

Throwing money at it is definitely not the way forward as for these charities they are mostly funded trough government rather than getting their house in order and solving the problem them selves they fund them to provide for governments failings

Yes we have alot to answer for as a society the biggest thing we have to answer for is not making politicians do the job they were elected to do, trough public demonstrations look what was done with the water tax we have to power to do it it's the willpower to do that is lacking

over a year ago

"

Yes u are dead right but the ground work is there for that connection to be made awaiting the funds to go ahead it's not a top of the agenda in times of recession when there's is a smaller pot of funds available, however the for sight of our government not to use the past eight years to pursue the building of social housing when it would have provided work for many value for money to the taxpayer. considering the building costs of such units would have being down on what they were and will be going forward,hence my suggestion of a national housing authority they would have a longer vision of what's needed than a politicians life expectancy of four years "

They spent 500 million on water meters. While the health, education and homeless crisis worsened.

500 million from general taxation, local property tax and motor tax. Threatened the elderly into paying for water. Went against the wishes of the majority to force it through. All while people spend longer on trolleys, lost their homes and had to wait years for operations.

It pretty much tells you where there priorities lie.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"

Yes u are dead right but the ground work is there for that connection to be made awaiting the funds to go ahead it's not a top of the agenda in times of recession when there's is a smaller pot of funds available, however the for sight of our government not to use the past eight years to pursue the building of social housing when it would have provided work for many value for money to the taxpayer. considering the building costs of such units would have being down on what they were and will be going forward,hence my suggestion of a national housing authority they would have a longer vision of what's needed than a politicians life expectancy of four years

They spent 500 million on water meters. While the health, education and homeless crisis worsened.

500 million from general taxation, local property tax and motor tax. Threatened the elderly into paying for water. Went against the wishes of the majority to force it through. All while people spend longer on trolleys, lost their homes and had to wait years for operations.

It pretty much tells you where there priorities lie."

Yes and we let them do that until late we get involved in the decision making by badgering and bullying those in positions to legislate and run the intuitions of government they will wander meaningless thinking they are doing right

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

At the end of the day it's a country of four and a half million people represented by 166 tds and about 300 councillors (figures may not be correct)Manchester is no bigger population wise yet they haven't half the representation until parish pump.politics is removed from our country it will always be same.

I believe a small number of elected members could manage and run this little island of ours with less waste thats up to us to push for change

over a year ago

"At the end of the day it's a country of four and a half million people represented by 166 tds and about 300 councillors (figures may not be correct)Manchester is no bigger population wise yet they haven't half the representation until parish pump.politics is removed from our country it will always be same.

I believe a small number of elected members could manage and run this little island of ours with less waste thats up to us to push for change "

Totally agree CJ.

over a year ago

"

The only positive I can take from it is that the younger generation will not fall for the government spin and are much more savvy in terms of educating themselves via online forums and through website's."

The younger generation are not different to other younger generations. They'll have their socialist views while they're in college and then once they start working and paying tax they'll quickly ditch those ideas.

Post new Message to Thread