Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

panic aniexty attack

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So been having these panic aniexty attacks last few days anyone any tips on how to deal with it. I'm gonna ring my doctor for appointment now ugggh

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not to push against rhe anxiety oddly enough. Assure yourself and keep reassuring yourself that you are safe where you are. I've no idea os there something triggering your anxiety so hard to say what factors may or may not be removed from your life. It is something that is exceptionally tough to deal with but kudos for taking the steps to get the relevant help. I know a lot of people really find meditation helpful in coping with anxiety and the difficulties it brings. You probably also feel anxious about your anxiety too which is natural. It is possible to rewire your brain though to deal with the anxiety better. Just know your anxiety is not you. It doesn't identify you. It won't defeat you. Notice the thoughts that come up in your head as these attacks are happening and try to reassure yourself that they too will pass. It will be a temporary discomfort. It will pass. It will pass. It will pass. Keep telling yourself that. Try to look at your thoughts almost from the outside in if you get me. Treat them as passig clouds in the sky. Some days the clouds may be dark and storms may be brewing but rest assured you will be fine.

I would recommend the headspace app for sure. Hope you get sorted out. Anxiety is no joke but you are on the road to dealing with it much much better.

Be kind to yourself in your struggles.

over a year ago

"Not to push against rhe anxiety oddly enough. Assure yourself and keep reassuring yourself that you are safe where you are. I've no idea os there something triggering your anxiety so hard to say what factors may or may not be removed from your life. It is something that is exceptionally tough to deal with but kudos for taking the steps to get the relevant help. I know a lot of people really find meditation helpful in coping with anxiety and the difficulties it brings. You probably also feel anxious about your anxiety too which is natural. It is possible to rewire your brain though to deal with the anxiety better. Just know your anxiety is not you. It doesn't identify you. It won't defeat you. Notice the thoughts that come up in your head as these attacks are happening and try to reassure yourself that they too will pass. It will be a temporary discomfort. It will pass. It will pass. It will pass. Keep telling yourself that. Try to look at your thoughts almost from the outside in if you get me. Treat them as passig clouds in the sky. Some days the clouds may be dark and storms may be brewing but rest assured you will be fine.

I would recommend the headspace app for sure. Hope you get sorted out. Anxiety is no joke but you are on the road to dealing with it much much better.

Be kind to yourself in your struggles."

thanks very much for your advice much appreciated I will try that app you recommended thanks again

over a year ago

I sufferd with this 2 years ago and went to my gp.i was given tablets and stopoed taking them after a week they made me sick as a dog....personaly i thonk its something you learn to deal with over time by talking to friends and theres loads of books out there.best of luck dude

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

My son has asthma and would get anxiety attacks about having an asthma attack which would trigger his asthma! Took awhile to find techniques that worked. The following worked for him, hope this helps but no harm to have check up with GP also.

All combined:

Sit down when you feel it happening

Breathing long slow deep breaths in through the nose and exhale out the mouth, then try next step,

Fold thumb across palm of hand till tip of thumb is at base of little finger. Fold fingers over thumb. Place the fleshy pad below thumb up to lips. Blow long hard out breaths against the fleshy pad. Breath long slow deep breaths in through the nose (mouth closed).

This inflates the lungs and presses against the heart and slows it down. The heart is pounding due to a skipped beat in response to the anxiety attack.

Hope this helps.

Madame Boo

over a year ago

You are very welcome. The more you can live your life in the present moment without your conscious thought regretting the past or worrying about the future the better chance you have of dealing with what you are experiencing. Leave me kmow how the app is going for you. It is a paid app mind you but for what it costs and what it brings it can bring you ferrari state of mind for fiat money. The best part of meditation is you can't overdose and it is scientifically proven to help rewire the brain over time .

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"Not to push against rhe anxiety oddly enough. Assure yourself and keep reassuring yourself that you are safe where you are. I've no idea os there something triggering your anxiety so hard to say what factors may or may not be removed from your life. It is something that is exceptionally tough to deal with but kudos for taking the steps to get the relevant help. I know a lot of people really find meditation helpful in coping with anxiety and the difficulties it brings. You probably also feel anxious about your anxiety too which is natural. It is possible to rewire your brain though to deal with the anxiety better. Just know your anxiety is not you. It doesn't identify you. It won't defeat you. Notice the thoughts that come up in your head as these attacks are happening and try to reassure yourself that they too will pass. It will be a temporary discomfort. It will pass. It will pass. It will pass. Keep telling yourself that. Try to look at your thoughts almost from the outside in if you get me. Treat them as passig clouds in the sky. Some days the clouds may be dark and storms may be brewing but rest assured you will be fine.

Be kind to yourself in your struggles."

I am starting to look like a stalker I love your post's. Stop posting your gems of wisdom so I can resume my normality of this crazy life

Respect

Madame Boo

By *ojos jugsWoman
over a year ago

Bangor

Panic attacks can be scary, its our bodies way of telling us `fight or flight` but hard as it may, try and keep calm, taking deep breaths in and out until ur breaths become normal again.. it helps to try take your mind off the situation so look around you: look for 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste, i learnt this at CBT and although it does sound silly, it does help..

See your GP as soon as possible and i hope they are sympathetic towards mental health issues, dont take no for an answer... if untreated, panic attacks can lead to all sorts of phobias and take over your life, ask to be referred to a CPN for counselling which might get to the root of your problems.. ((Big Hugs))

over a year ago

Thanks everybody feeling bit better now bit worried as I havnt had any attacks in long time then two bad ones two days in row now suffer with aniexty itself but usually never have attacks as bad as these hopefully have it somewhat under control soon

over a year ago

"

I am starting to look like a stalker I love your post's. Stop posting your gems of wisdom so I can resume my normality of this crazy life

Respect

Madame Boo "

Wow. Thank you so much. I am genuinely very humbled by your kind words. I just try to give the best advice I can if I am somewhat informed on a subject. I'm glad my words resonate with you. We most likely have a very similar mindset. Thank you again. Hope you have a glorious day.

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Hey Randyandy,

I used to suffer constantly from really bad anxiety/panic attacks many years ago to the point where I didn't want to leave the house for fear of it happening and it stopped me sleeping at nights. It almost destroyed me but thankfully I don't get them so much these days.

There can be so many triggering factors etc but I shall pm you a link explaining about different factors etc.

One thing I realise now looking back is that alcohol and/or marijuana usage can intensify the panic attacks and make them happen more often.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy but if lately you feel you have been overindulging in either of these then I would highly recommend cutting them out just for the foreseeable future until you get on top of the anxiety.

One important thing to remember and I promise you this..... so please tell yourself this every time and it shall help a little..... as bad as the panic attack feels (such a horrible feeling) it won't harm you and it WILL pass.

Basically what is happening when you have a panic attack is your breathing becomes shallow without you realising.

You are exhaling excessive carbon dioxide in relation to the amount of oxygen in one's bloodstream. This causes a cluster of symptoms, including rapid heart beat, dizziness, and lightheadedness, tingly feelings all over, etc, but all totally harmless even though it may not feel like it. Believe me, I know.

Two things I found worked for me.

One is similar to what Madame Boo said. You just need to try and focus on your breathing to take slow deep breaths and get that breathing back to normal. You could always Google a few breathing exercises or techniques. It took me a while to get my technique just right but controlling the breathing stops it happening or stops it when it is happening. In the worst cases I would breathe in and out of a paper bag or similar. I know this may sound silly when you feel you can't breathe but what this does is traps some of the excessive carbon dioxide your body has released and allows you to breathe some of it back in to get the carbon dioxide in your bloodstream back to normal levels. It's the excess loss of carbon dioxide from your blood stream in relation to oxygen levels which causes the tingly feelings, etc. I think for me just learning about and understanding the science behind panic attacks helped me a little in overcoming them.

The second thing is a completely natural herbal supplement called St.Johns Wort. You can buy it online on most major auction/sales sites or in any health shop.

You could always see your doctor and try different meds. The thing is everybody's body is different and will react in different ways to different meds so it is all trial and error. What might work for one person might not work for another.

I tried different meds from the doctor and none seemed to help me much.

It was only when I heard about and discovered St.Johns Wort from a regular customer in the place I was working (who also suffered bad anxiety) that it made a real difference for me. A lot of people swear by it. I don't suffer bad panic attacks any more but I always keep some St.Johns Wort laying around for anytime I am having an off day and feel a bit jittery or that a panic attack may be coming on.

Other than what I have mentioned....another poster mentioned meditation....I've never tried it myself but I think it could also be a good idea for you.

I'll send you that link now and hopefully you'll get sorted.

over a year ago

"Hey Randyandy,

I used to suffer constantly from really bad anxiety/panic attacks many years ago to the point where I didn't want to leave the house for fear of it happening and it stopped me sleeping at nights. It almost destroyed me but thankfully I don't get them so much these days.

There can be so many triggering factors etc but I shall pm you a link explaining about different factors etc.

One thing I realise now looking back is that alcohol and/or marijuana usage can intensify the panic attacks and make them happen more often.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy but if lately you feel you have been overindulging in either of these then I would highly recommend cutting them out just for the foreseeable future until you get on top of the anxiety.

One important thing to remember and I promise you this..... so please tell yourself this every time and it shall help a little..... as bad as the panic attack feels (such a horrible feeling) it won't harm you and it WILL pass.

Basically what is happening when you have a panic attack is your breathing becomes shallow without you realising.

You are exhaling excessive carbon dioxide in relation to the amount of oxygen in one's bloodstream. This causes a cluster of symptoms, including rapid heart beat, dizziness, and lightheadedness, tingly feelings all over, etc, but all totally harmless even though it may not feel like it. Believe me, I know.

One is similar to what Madame Boo said. You just need to try and focus on your breathing to take slow deep breaths and get that breathing back to normal. You could always Google a few breathing exercises or techniques. It took me a while to get my technique just right but controlling the breathing stops it happening or stops it when it is happening. In the worst cases I would breathe in and out of a paper bag or similar. I know this may sound silly when you feel you can't breathe but what this does is traps some of the excessive carbon dioxide your body has released and allows you to breathe some of it back in to get the carbon dioxide in your bloodstream back to normal levels. It's the excess loss of carbon dioxide from your blood stream in relation to oxygen levels which causes the tingly feelings, etc. I think for me just learning about and understanding the science behind panic attacks helped me a little in overcoming them.

The second thing is a completely natural herbal supplement called St.Johns Wort. You can buy it online on most major auction/sales sites or in any health shop.

You could always see your doctor and try different meds. The thing is everybody's body is different and will react in different ways to different meds so it is all trial and error. What might work for one person might not work for another.

It was only when I heard about and discovered St.Johns Wort from a regular customer in the place I was working (who also suffered bad anxiety) that it made a real difference for me. A lot of people swear by it. I don't suffer bad panic attacks any more but I always keep some St.Johns Wort laying around for anytime I am having an off day and feel a bit jittery or that a panic attack may be coming on.

Other than what I have mentioned....another poster mentioned meditation....I've never tried it myself but I think it could also be a good idea for you.

"

thanks mate I appreciate that very much

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

As JoJo Jugs mentioned above, that can be another thing that helps when an attack is occuring. Even though it is difficult at the time, mind distraction can help. Simply try distracting your mind from any bad or scary thoughts by doing as she suggests and focusing your mind on something else, or if you Google then you can find similar mind distraction techniques.

over a year ago

Did u pin point when u get them like is it when u wake up going somewhere I used to get them bad even being in a queue in the shopping centre used to cause me great panic . Do u have a lot of stress in your life??? Take time out for yourself Relaxation tapes are brilliant and exercise is a great way of getting rid of those panic attacks get into nature spend time listening to the the Forest try telll a good friend how u feel don't feel ashamed little steps and you can conquer it Magnesium and vitamin B6 is brilliant Beyond

over a year ago

"Panic attacks can be scary, its our bodies way of telling us `fight or flight` but hard as it may, try and keep calm, taking deep breaths in and out until ur breaths become normal again.. it helps to try take your mind off the situation so look around you: look for 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste, i learnt this at CBT and although it does sound silly, it does help..

See your GP as soon as possible and i hope they are sympathetic towards mental health issues, dont take no for an answer... if untreated, panic attacks can lead to all sorts of phobias and take over your life, ask to be referred to a CPN for counselling which might get to the root of your problems.. ((Big Hugs))"

thank you appreciate your advice

over a year ago

"Did u pin point when u get them like is it when u wake up going somewhere I used to get them bad even being in a queue in the shopping centre used to cause me great panic . Do u have a lot of stress in your life??? Take time out for yourself Relaxation tapes are brilliant and exercise is a great way of getting rid of those panic attacks get into nature spend time listening to the the Forest try telll a good friend how u feel don't feel ashamed little steps and you can conquer it Magnesium and vitamin B6 is brilliant Beyond"
started last night when I was in bed which is weird prob building for while with aniexty I've been having

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"So been having these panic aniexty attacks last few days anyone any tips on how to deal with it. I'm gonna ring my doctor for appointment now ugggh "

Imagine you have a hole in the top of your head..breath in through this hole and imagine that breath going down to your fingers and toes then as you breath out imagine all the bad feeling leaving your body..works wonders for me

By *rs Pink PantherWoman
over a year ago

The Darkest Side

"So been having these panic aniexty attacks last few days anyone any tips on how to deal with it. I'm gonna ring my doctor for appointment now ugggh "

I empathize so much with you OP and as all have said your GP is the way to go...I suffered for many years too embarrassed to address it and only plucked up the courage last year, it's a work in progress everyday.

Hope you're feeling better soon

over a year ago

"So been having these panic aniexty attacks last few days anyone any tips on how to deal with it. I'm gonna ring my doctor for appointment now ugggh

I empathize so much with you OP and as all have said your GP is the way to go...I suffered for many years too embarrassed to address it and only plucked up the courage last year, it's a work in progress everyday.

Hope you're feeling better soon "

thanks my GP is useless cant get app till Monday might have see one the other docs see how I get on thanks for the post I appreciate it

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"So been having these panic aniexty attacks last few days anyone any tips on how to deal with it. I'm gonna ring my doctor for appointment now ugggh

Hope you're feeling better soon thanks my GP is useless cant get app till Monday might have see one the other docs see how I get on thanks for the post I appreciate it "

Always remember too, if you feel your GP isn't taking you seriously or isn't sympathetic to your plight..... you always have the right to a second opinion or should consider changing to a different GP. Do what's best for you. Not all GPs get it right every time.

There's nothing worse than a GP telling you there is nothing wrong with you, or you're perfectly fine when you already know there is something wrong...... otherwise one wouldn't be making an appointment and going out of their way to see the GP in the first place.

over a year ago

Hope you're feeling better soon thanks my GP is useless cant get app till Monday might have see one the other docs see how I get on thanks for the post I appreciate it

Always remember too, if you feel your GP isn't taking you seriously or isn't sympathetic to your plight..... you always have the right to a second opinion or should consider changing to a different GP. Do what's best for you. Not all GPs get it right every time.

There's nothing worse than a GP telling you there is nothing wrong with you, or you're perfectly fine when you already know there is something wrong...... otherwise one wouldn't be making an appointment and going out of their way to see the GP in the first place."

very true they told me auntie she had muscle strain for months now turns out was tumor its benign thank god shes getting big op done tomorrow

By *rs Pink PantherWoman
over a year ago

The Darkest Side

Hope you're feeling better soon thanks my GP is useless cant get app till Monday might have see one the other docs see how I get on thanks for the post I appreciate it "

*Virtual hug!

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

If you have panic attacks, look into the areas of NLP and hypnotherapy. I used to have panic attacks as a kid and teen but went to see an NLP MASTER PRACTITIONER. Gone forever in two sessions. My friend had something similar and used hypnotherapy to deal and resolve the underlying emotional cause and was successful too

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Buteko method for breathing is brilliant for this also.

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Hope you're feeling better soon thanks my GP is useless cant get app till Monday might have see one the other docs see how I get on thanks for the post I appreciate it

There's nothing worse than a GP telling you there is nothing wrong with you, or you're perfectly fine when you already know there is something wrong...... otherwise one wouldn't be making an appointment and going out of their way to see the GP in the first place. very true they told me auntie she had muscle strain for months now turns out was tumor its benign thank god shes getting big op done tomorrow "

Hopefully it shall go smoothly and she'll make a speedy recovery.

By *easingTimMan
over a year ago

Loughlinstown

"Buteko method for breathing is brilliant for this also. "

--------------

EFT as well... and there's so many reported cases that a lot of these alternative methods work better than meds...

By *igertigerCouple (MM)
over a year ago

cc hotel

"Hey Randyandy,

you're a really sound guy and willing to help others ...respect.

"

over a year ago

Used to have difficulties with that sort of thing too, just some stuff that's worked for me:

Download the Headspace meditation app, really works. Make it the first thing you do in the morning as that's when cortisol (stress chemical) is at its highest.

Excercise everyday - even 20 minutes makes a huge difference.

If it's bad at night have a hot shower, and do some meditation again, then read a book for a while before going to sleep.

G'luck mate!

over a year ago

"Used to have difficulties with that sort of thing too, just some stuff that's worked for me:

Download the Headspace meditation app, really works. Make it the first thing you do in the morning as that's when cortisol (stress chemical) is at its highest.

I second this advice x

Excercise everyday - even 20 minutes makes a huge difference.

If it's bad at night have a hot shower, and do some meditation again, then read a book for a while before going to sleep.

G'luck mate!"

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Hey Randyandy,

you're a really sound guy and willing to help others ...respect.

"

Thank you. I deeply appreciate the compliment. It's just nice to be nice and can make a person feel nice themselves. I always believe in treating others as nicely as I would want them to treat me.

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"Buteko method for breathing is brilliant for this also.

--------------

EFT as well... and there's so many reported cases that a lot of these alternative methods work better than meds..."

I am currently reading Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre about drug companies methods behind getting drugs approved etc... So yes alternative meditation and buteko breathing is the way to go as well as a visit to gp to check vitamin levels and general check up.

The buteko breathing was great to bridge the gap between anxiety and actual asthma attack for my son.

I have had them and fainted...in public of course as one does my B vitamins were very low as well as stress going on, not a good combo.

Madame Boo

over a year ago

The only thing I'd add to this is don't drink too much coffee. Try cut it out and drink tea if you can. And a twenty minute run a day too. Coffee is a stimulant, makes your heart race. Exercise makes you feel good, releases chemicals from your brain. Other than that, this thread is full of great advice man. Good luck beating it. Let us all know when you do.

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"The only thing I'd add to this is don't drink too much coffee. Try cut it out and drink tea if you can. And a twenty minute run a day too. Coffee is a stimulant, makes your heart race. Exercise makes you feel good, releases chemicals from your brain. Other than that, this thread is full of great advice man. Good luck beating it. Let us all know when you do. "

This is one good point I overlooked. There was a long period where I only drank tea instead of coffee. I used to find that too much caffeine made me jittery and anxious. Defo in moderation if you are going through a bad phase of anxiety or panic attacks. Red Bull and Energy Drinks should also be avoided or taken in moderation.

over a year ago

Cut out all stimulants, including the obvious for a while, see how it helps, you need to see what works for you,

over a year ago

"Cut out all stimulants, including the obvious for a while, see how it helps, you need to see what works for you,"

Definitely

By *utie91Woman
over a year ago

Hitchin

A lot of it is about distraction techniques... so you basically need to distract your brain from whatever is making you panic by doing something else... doesn't matter what it is.

Singing is a good way... helps to control breathing aswell as distracting. Same goes for reading a book out loud.

Have met someone who used to bake cakes when she started having an anxiety attack... she used to have a lot of cake lol

over a year ago

"A lot of it is about distraction techniques... so you basically need to distract your brain from whatever is making you panic by doing something else... doesn't matter what it is.

Singing is a good way... helps to control breathing aswell as distracting. Same goes for reading a book out loud.

Have met someone who used to bake cakes when she started having an anxiety attack... she used to have a lot of cake lol id have lot mirrors broke with my singing but like that idea have the music on i didn't have panic attack last night thank god hopefully don't have another one for long time there awful

"

over a year ago

There's nothing worse than a GP telling you there is nothing wrong with you, or you're perfectly fine when you already know there is something wrong...... otherwise one wouldn't be making an appointment and going out of their way to see the GP in the first place. very true they told me auntie she had muscle strain for months now turns out was tumor its benign thank god shes getting big op done tomorrow

Hopefully it shall go smoothly and she'll make a speedy recovery."

. Yes thanks shes having 12 hour op so gonna be tough one hopefully get visit her the weekend once shes feeling better

over a year ago

Thanks for all the great advice guys much appreciated . Didn't have aniexty attack last night thank god was able to get some sleep hopefully don't have one for while going give the suggestions on this thread a go.

over a year ago

Very glad to hear last night was anxiety free. Whatever people say about the timewasters and arseholes that are on fab I think it is lovely to see people help out with a lot of very decent recommendations. Nice to see the other side of fab for a change. Kudos to you all who offered help and suggestions.

By *arkmandy69Couple
over a year ago

waterford

My son suffers from panic attacks, while doing a little reserch on it I came accross a book by doctor harry barry, its in plain english and very imformative. Google him and have a look, best of luckxx mandy x

over a year ago

"My son suffers from panic attacks, while doing a little reserch on it I came accross a book by doctor harry barry, its in plain english and very imformative. Google him and have a look, best of luckxx mandy x "
thanks ill look that up x

over a year ago

I have this as an ongoing condition and have flare ups. Best way to manage is to remind yourself you have been fine up to this point and will be fine again.

Find something that relaxes and distracts you, whether it be reading or whatever. Breathing slower and longer does bring you down. Ypu will learn to manage it and come out the other end, I promise xoxox

Post new Message to Thread