Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

advice please

Jump to newest

By *elenandhim84 OP   Couple
over a year ago

belfast

Mrs gave the go ahead to get the old dog put asleep yesterday I mean sent to the farm so I have 3 devastated kids missing buster this morning crying etc. Any advice or help appreciated and do we get another dog so soon

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yep...go get a pup straight away and it will keep ye busy so the loss won't seem as bad...plenty rescue dogs out there as well..

over a year ago

Poor kids ,know only too well the feeling .So sad losing a much loved family pet

Personally I'd leave it a while before considering getting a new dog as the kids will only think your trying to replace Buster ( how could you kinda thing)

All depends on the ages of the kids of course but whatever you decide ,best of luck

If and when you do decide to being a new dog onto the family,worth considering re homing from dog shelter x

By *shoreMan
over a year ago

cork

Get another.....all dogs need good homes

By *e CountMan
over a year ago

Kilkenny

Good advice on the above, it's like losing one of your best mates. The distraction of a new pup will ease the heartache.

over a year ago

"Good advice on the above, it's like losing one of your best mates. The distraction of a new pup will ease the heartache. "

Yes distraction does ease heartache

over a year ago

Most advise don't rush into getting another dog as people expect the new dog to be just like the old dog and sometimes end up resenting the new family pet.but do wat feels right, maybe go as a family to a rescue centre see if you all are drawn to a dog in need of a good home never easy losing a family pet x

By *rutus83Man
over a year ago

naas

"Yep...go get a pup straight away and it will keep ye busy so the loss won't seem as bad...plenty rescue dogs out there as well.. "

rescue a puppy I agree

over a year ago

I have 3 dogs, love them to bits. Last time I cried was after having a dog we had for 17 years put asleep.

My advice is get another puppy/Dog straight away. Will help you and the kids get over their loss much much quicker

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

You shouldn't replace a beloved pet straight with another one. Kids are resilient, they're sad and devastated and will badly miss their pet for the first 3 days, then they slowly get used that the dog is no more and get on with life.

By *isdirtygirlWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

Theres no set way to replace a dog. Some wait days or weeks and then others wait months or years. The family home isnt the same without the beloved pet there, so the grieving process will be the same as grief at the loss of a family member/ friend.Its a loss whatever way you look at it. Its up to you as a family to talk it through and do whats best for all of you.

wishing you all the best xx

over a year ago

As animal lovers and dog owners we feel your pain.would leave it a few weeks before replacing your pet however.kids need to understand loss and replacing straight away doesnt solve it.when the time comes to pick your new pet let them be involved.best of luck.

over a year ago

A horrible time when you have to lose a loved pet!!

I'd leave it a while for the kids.....they are resilient and it's a great life lesson in dealing with the loss...

Let them learn how to deal with it and intersperse that with plans for finding a new pup, hopefully by adopting.

over a year ago

"Mrs gave the go ahead to get the old dog put asleep yesterday I mean sent to the farm so I have 3 devastated kids missing buster this morning crying etc. Any advice or help appreciated and do we get another dog so soon"
sorry to hear about your dog so sad but yes new puppy might keep kids happy

over a year ago

"A horrible time when you have to lose a loved pet!!

I'd leave it a while for the kids.....they are resilient and it's a great life lesson in dealing with the loss...

Let them learn how to deal with it and intersperse that with plans for finding a new pup, hopefully by adopting.

"

Totally agree with this post and the one above it. Losing a pet is so hard, but it teaches important lessons about grief and how to cope with it. I would also advise you to rescue a puppy or a dog, there are so many of them in need of good loving homes.

I hope you all get through the grief soon and you will know when you're ready to bring another pet into your home. Wait until then.

Post new Message to Thread