Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Central America

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone here ever travelled solo to Central America? Costa Rica in particular. Thinking about doing so after xmas but not sure if it's a safe destination for solo travellers.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nicaragua is much more fun and significantly cheaper.

over a year ago

"Nicaragua is much more fun and significantly cheaper."

So u have been to both?

over a year ago

Yes, I spent a lot of time in Central America, in every country of central america.

over a year ago

"Yes, I spent a lot of time in Central America, in every country of central america."

Tortuguero is the main appeal for me with Costa Rica. And that is pretty much a short visit. The likes of tamarindo and Jaco seem to be the only options for nightlife / mixing with singles and apparently they aren't safe places at night? Thoughts? How does Nicaragua compare also?

over a year ago

Suppose it all boils down to what you want. I was happy to chill at the beach in Nicaragua and drink rum til the morning with the locals and tourists. There are no safety issues in Costa Rica, truly.

over a year ago

"Suppose it all boils down to what you want. I was happy to chill at the beach in Nicaragua and drink rum til the morning with the locals and tourists. There are no safety issues in Costa Rica, truly."

Well there's definitely safety issues. It's well documented. How bad the situation is is another story. Iam hoping it's just petty theft mostly. What's the nightlife like in Nicaragua? Many singles / backpackers around?

over a year ago

I spent five months backpacking Central America solo. Fantastic part of the world. Like Juliac said, crime is not really an issue in Costa Rica; it's one of the few countries in the world that has no army whatsoever. Very relaxed, chilled one there!

over a year ago

pura vida

over a year ago

"Suppose it all boils down to what you want. I was happy to chill at the beach in Nicaragua and drink rum til the morning with the locals and tourists. There are no safety issues in Costa Rica, truly.

Well there's definitely safety issues. It's well documented. How bad the situation is is another story. Iam hoping it's just petty theft mostly. What's the nightlife like in Nicaragua? Many singles / backpackers around? "

Loads of singles and backpackers around! Nicaragua is very popular. Great nightlife in San Juan Del sur especially.

over a year ago

"I spent five months backpacking Central America solo. Fantastic part of the world. Like Juliac said, crime is not really an issue in Costa Rica; it's one of the few countries in the world that has no army whatsoever. Very relaxed, chilled one there!"

Cheers. That's interesting because there's lots of stories on trip advisor of crime related incidents and drugs etc in Costa Rica. Where did you visit in Costa Rica? Any recommendations on good spots for meeting other solo travellers?

over a year ago

Capital cities in Central America are always a bit dodge. I rarely if ever spent much time on those places. If you stay in the popular hostels you'll meet tonnes of people.

As for Costa Rica I loved the Caribbean vibe of Puerto Viejo. I didn't stay too long in CR overall as it's expensive compared to Nicaragua and Guatemala.

For me Guatemala was the country I enjoyed the most in CA

over a year ago

"Capital cities in Central America are always a bit dodge. I rarely if ever spent much time on those places. If you stay in the popular hostels you'll meet tonnes of people.

As for Costa Rica I loved the Caribbean vibe of Puerto Viejo. I didn't stay too long in CR overall as it's expensive compared to Nicaragua and Guatemala.

For me Guatemala was the country I enjoyed the most in CA"

Cheers. I might look into the places you mention

over a year ago

And if you're a scuba nut, Utila in Honduras.

over a year ago

"And if you're a scuba nut, Utila in Honduras."

Mostly just wanna visit the rainforest tbh and then just enjoy a relaxing beach town that comes alive at night. Preferably one with lots of singles and safety at night is obviously a priority

over a year ago

Costa Rica is the safest country in CA, then Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduras. The last three being about the same depending on the specific area you are in.

over a year ago

"Costa Rica is the safest country in CA, then Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduras. The last three being about the same depending on the specific area you are in."

Jeez so why is it unsafe to walk the streets at night ha Perhaps you could argue you shouldn't walk any part of the world at night. I was totally put off Costa Rica by all these alleged safety issues. Ppl saying there's drug gangs in Puerto Viejo for example and all Costa Rican homes have steel bars surrounding the property. An actual travel agent told me it's dangerous too. He said to avoid san Jose, Jaco, tarmarindo, Puerto Viejo and limon

over a year ago

I used to go to the roughest neighbourhoods in Honduras and i was fine. You'll live.

Post new Message to Thread