Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Airbnb Advice

Jump to newest

By *ork Class OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cork

We are thinking of doing up an old cottage and letting it through Airbnb ,

We would appreciate some advice from experienced Airbnb landlords on the pros and cons of Airbnb.

Thanks in advance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I manage my brother's (he's in the US) apt just off Baggot St. Airbnb are great. It does take a lot of work but the more effort you put in the greater the return. We have a little welcome pack for new guests. This includes a map of Dublin with all the main tourist spots highlighted. We also leave a bottle of red wine. We are now getting bookings from friends and relations of previous guests. The apt is booked solid up to late Oct. I have also used airbnb all over the world from NZ to Canada and have found them great.

Kinsale is a beautiful area with great restaurants and golf etc. I'd plough ahead if I were ye. Good luck with it. P

over a year ago

Airbnb versus standard rental. Which one works best for landlords

over a year ago

Cork

Thanks for the advice.

over a year ago

Depends on what ur renting and your preferred market. If its international, then I'd run with airbnb.

By *ippcoupe2Couple
over a year ago

cahir/cashel

be careful as the revenue now monitor Airbnb and are catching renters for tax. my advice would be if someone makes contact to rent book them in for one night and agree a cash in hand for the other stayovers nights....or get regular renters to contact you privately......shuuuussssh you didnt hear it from me !!!!!!

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"be careful as the revenue now monitor Airbnb and are catching renters for tax. my advice would be if someone makes contact to rent book them in for one night and agree a cash in hand for the other stayovers nights....or get regular renters to contact you privately......shuuuussssh you didnt hear it from me !!!!!!"

Are u condoning the black market rental income is subject to tax which pays for the running of our services such as health education and other state provided services if u provide a service that generates an income u should pay ur taxes like the rest of us

Renting a room in your own home carries a tax free income of €14,000 per annum after that any income generated carries a tax liability

over a year ago

Sandard renter landlord here, I would say aidbnb is is good if you want to pick the times you want a guest. It's good to have some free time for accommodating swingers. Btw I have a rare free gaff for the bh weekend

over a year ago

Cork

Thanks for that tippcouple wink wink .

And CJ ,No worries we will pay our tax like all the rest of ye .

Cheers for reminding us.

By *ippcoupe2Couple
over a year ago

cahir/cashel

[Removed by poster at 06/08/17 15:15:50]

over a year ago

Need an apartment city centre for a night

If there a fab user renting much better

over a year ago

In the same situation as yourself at the minute. Converting a house at the minute for the sole purpose of Airbnb. I have used Airbnb myself as a guest rather than a landlord and found the experience a lot more warming and welcoming rather than standard bnbs or hotels. I guess it must just be the fact that it's somebody's home you're in which adds something extra.

My main decision for aiming mt house towards Airbnb was due to the flexibility of being able to free up times for the house when I may need it. Occupying the house long term effectively rules the house out for my own use which i wasn't keen on.

There's an opportunity to make a lot more money through Airbnb rather than standard letting. Just need to be careful not to cross the tax bracket

It's a fantastic way to meet so many different people too and really opens your eyes to other cultures. All you really need are the basics for breakfast and toiletries to keep people happy. Nobody expects a breakfast cooked for them or anything so I wouldn't stress on providing a major service like that..

Hope that helps

over a year ago

"In the same situation as yourself at the minute. Converting a house at the minute for the sole purpose of Airbnb. I have used Airbnb myself as a guest rather than a landlord and found the experience a lot more warming and welcoming rather than standard bnbs or hotels. I guess it must just be the fact that it's somebody's home you're in which adds something extra.

My main decision for aiming mt house towards Airbnb was due to the flexibility of being able to free up times for the house when I may need it. Occupying the house long term effectively rules the house out for my own use which i wasn't keen on.

There's an opportunity to make a lot more money through Airbnb rather than standard letting. Just need to be careful not to cross the tax bracket

It's a fantastic way to meet so many different people too and really opens your eyes to other cultures. All you really need are the basics for breakfast and toiletries to keep people happy. Nobody expects a breakfast cooked for them or anything so I wouldn't stress on providing a major service like that..

Hope that helps "

over a year ago

Put in a hot tub and make it a sex pad and charge a premium rate as a swingers get away. A shag pad with all the amenities.

over a year ago

"Put in a hot tub and make it a sex pad and charge a premium rate as a swingers get away. A shag pad with all the amenities. "

Have the hot tub & bar which are included as part of the room rental

Post new Message to Thread