By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Alleluia "

Jeff Buckley or Leonards Cohen's?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *owdyboy 890Man
over a year ago

Country West

He'll be singing Time To Say Goodbye now ...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

He's gone. We'll see what the next sap does to better the country. Builds time mac_ine to have a look.....yeah we're fucked

King

over a year ago

The problem with our electorate is that they actually don't need to be skilled in their role before going into office. They just need to be popular within their own party.

Dáil Éireann is full of school teachers and civil servants due to this.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the above professions but seriously what would a teacher know about running the country?

Should there not be a mandatory course they're made take before we elect them. ??

over a year ago

What's going on ??

over a year ago

Enda Kenny stepped down and got quite emotional

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"The problem with our electorate is that they actually don't need to be skilled in their role before going into office. They just need to be popular within their own party.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the above professions but seriously what would a teacher know about running the country?

Should there not be a mandatory course they're made take before we elect them. ??"

One of the reasons for getting teachers is the amount of time they have available for campaigning but the main one is that they can have their job held for them for a long as necessary. It's quite a risk putting a career in hold and then maybe losing your seat in the next election. Most of the go getters in business that might make a good job of it also don't want the pay cut they'd have to take to be a politician. Quite a few of them have no interest in the betterment of others either.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Plenty of wooden heads in that party to replace him.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

He's still Taoiseach until June 2nd though.

over a year ago

"Enda Kenny stepped down and got quite emotional "

Awe right ... I thought the world was ending ...

over a year ago

"The problem with our electorate is that they actually don't need to be skilled in their role before going into office. They just need to be popular within their own party.

Should there not be a mandatory course they're made take before we elect them. ??

One of the reasons for getting teachers is the amount of time they have available for campaigning but the main one is that they can have their job held for them for a long as necessary. It's quite a risk putting a career in hold and then maybe losing your seat in the next election. Most of the go getters in business that might make a good job of it also don't want the pay cut they'd have to take to be a politician. Quite a few of them have no interest in the betterment of others either. "

That's a bit harsh on the business community. Some do have a moral compass.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

One of the reasons for getting teachers is the amount of time they have available for campaigning but the main one is that they can have their job held for them for a long as necessary. It's quite a risk putting a career in hold and then maybe losing your seat in the next election. Most of the go getters in business that might make a good job of it also don't want the pay cut they'd have to take to be a politician. Quite a few of them have no interest in the betterment of others either.

That's a bit harsh on the business community. Some do have a moral compass. "

Lol, that's why I said quite a few of them

over a year ago

Harsh never the less

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Harsh never the less "

Not a bit.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

One of the reasons for getting teachers is the amount of time they have available for campaigning but the main one is that they can have their job held for them for a long as necessary. It's quite a risk putting a career in hold and then maybe losing your seat in the next election. Most of the go getters in business that might make a good job of it also don't want the pay cut they'd have to take to be a politician. Quite a few of them have no interest in the betterment of others either. "

I will never get my head around why a small country like Ireland needs a full time politician parliament especially when they're told anyway what to vote by the party whip.

over a year ago

I will never get my head around why a small country like Ireland needs a full time politician parliament especially when they're told anyway what to vote by the party whip. "

We don't need as many but for balance we need some

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

At least they didn't find him face down hugging the carpet

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

"What's going on ?? "

Marvin Gaye lyrics...

Good choice

By *imon 2kMan
over a year ago

city

It's a pity he didn't take Frances Fitzgerald with him.

over a year ago

He came for dinner where i work in February, he was a nice guy, and then everyone told me he was an asshole.

I won't lie the tip was pretty cheap

over a year ago

One knob leaves there's another one waiting to replace him...

Bit like here...

over a year ago

It's time for new political force to pick up the colors, if only the voters wouldn't vote for the same shite of FF and FG all over again . Every country has the government it elected , hence the one it deserves

over a year ago

"It's time for new political force to pick up the colors, if only the voters wouldn't vote for the same shite of FF and FG all over again . Every country has the government it elected , hence the one it deserves "

Yes FF and FG - almost 100 years of failure between them. Time for something new and perhaps actually implement the proclamation.

over a year ago

"It's time for new political force to pick up the colors, if only the voters wouldn't vote for the same shite of FF and FG all over again . Every country has the government it elected , hence the one it deserves "

What other parties are there?

Sinn Fein? Labour? Crazy lefties? They're all horrible.

over a year ago

Sheep keep voting for the same people. In my area certain TD's will get things done at a local level. People will vote for that TD. Not because of his party but because of what he does locally.

It's a crying shame because as soon as they are elected they as part of the whip system.

We should do what they do in the UK. No transfer of votes. No quota. The first three, four or five with first preference votes should be the elected representatives. If that was the case both Michael Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan would have lost out in my constituency.

over a year ago

"It's time for new political force to pick up the colors, if only the voters wouldn't vote for the same shite of FF and FG all over again . Every country has the government it elected , hence the one it deserves

What other parties are there?

Sinn Fein? Labour? Crazy lefties? They're all horrible. "

Both FF & FG are scared shitless of SF. So much so that FF & FG came to an agreement so they hold the largest parties both in government and opposition.

I bet 100% come the next election there will be another scandal involving the IRA or Gerry Adams. All to dissuade voters.

Both FF & FG have proven over 100 years to be totally inept. 2ND highest number of low paid jobs in the OECD. Crap health service, homelessness at an all time high, taking medical cards from disabled children, whistle-blower treatment, Moriarty and so on. Nobody ever held accountable.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"It's time for new political force to pick up the colors, if only the voters wouldn't vote for the same shite of FF and FG all over again . Every country has the government it elected , hence the one it deserves

Sheep keep voting for the same people. In my area certain TD's will get things done at a local level. People will vote for that TD. Not because of his party but because of what he does locally.

It's a crying shame because as soon as they are elected they as part of the whip system.

We should do what they do in the UK. No transfer of votes. No quota. The first three, four or five with first preference votes should be the elected representatives. If that was the case both Michael Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan would have lost out in my constituency."

The single transferable vote gives the best reflection of what the electorate wants. Its far better than the english system. If you dont like the results then thats a problem with the voters not the system.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

We should do what they do in the UK. No transfer of votes. No quota. The first three, four or five with first preference votes should be the elected representatives. If that was the case both Michael Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan would have lost out in my constituency."

The UK electoral system with fptp is frighteningly undemocratic. The tories currently have 36% of the vote and 65% of the seats.

over a year ago

We should do what they do in the UK. No transfer of votes. No quota. The first three, four or five with first preference votes should be the elected representatives. If that was the case both Michael Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan would have lost out in my constituency.

The single transferable vote gives the best reflection of what the electorate wants. Its far better than the english system. If you dont like the results then thats a problem with the voters not the system."

You should vote for only the person you want elected. Even in this day and age some people believe they have to tick every box. We could do a lot to educate voters in this country.

over a year ago

The UK electoral system with fptp is frighteningly undemocratic. The tories currently have 36% of the vote and 65% of the seats. "

Just my opinion. In my own constituency Jan 0'Sullivan was 7th after the first count and still got elected. That in my opinion is wrong.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

The single transferable vote gives the best reflection of what the electorate wants. Its far better than the english system. If you dont like the results then thats a problem with the voters not the system.

You should vote for only the person you want elected. Even in this day and age some people believe they have to tick every box. We could do a lot to educate voters in this country."

I think you may need to educate yourself on it as well. Giving other candidates a preference won't disable your first preference

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

The UK electoral system with fptp is frighteningly undemocratic. The tories currently have 36% of the vote and 65% of the seats.

Just my opinion. In my own constituency Jan 0'Sullivan was 7th after the first count and still got elected. That in my opinion is wrong."

The key is that people preferred her to the alternative. With fptp you can have people elected with a tiny percentage, even though the overwhelming majority voted against them. PR prevents that from happening and is far far superior to fptp.

over a year ago

You should vote for only the person you want elected. Even in this day and age some people believe they have to tick every box. We could do a lot to educate voters in this country.

I think you may need to educate yourself on it as well. Giving other candidates a preference won't disable your first preference "

It won't disable my first preference of course but fourth, fifth, sixth and so on preferences still count.

I normally just vote for one person and leave all others blank for this very reason.

FF, FG & LAB votes transferring to SF for example make no sense to me. Completely different parties/mandates.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

I think you may need to educate yourself on it as well. Giving other candidates a preference won't disable your first preference

It won't disable my first preference of course but fourth, fifth, sixth and so on preferences still count.

I normally just vote for one person and leave all others blank for this very reason.

FF, FG & LAB votes transferring to SF for example make no sense to me. Completely different parties/mandates."

When you get down into those preferences you're dealing with personal votes, local votes etc. Carrying on web the preferences just gives you a better guarantee that your vote will actually elect someone. That's the joy of it, you can select one and leave it at that, or all of them.

over a year ago

FF, FG & LAB votes transferring to SF for example make no sense to me. Completely different parties/mandates.

When you get down into those preferences you're dealing with personal votes, local votes etc. Carrying on web the preferences just gives you a better guarantee that your vote will actually elect someone. That's the joy of it, you can select one and leave it at that, or all of them. "

If there a four positions for example and ten candidates. The four candidates with the highest first preference votes should be elected. Just my tuppence worth. Never thought I'd be having this discussion on a swinging forum.

Cheers Mike

By *exmark12Man
over a year ago

Rathcoole/Roscommon/Mayo

What you want Trump

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"What you want Trump"

Err, no thanks. 1 idiot is enough.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

When you get down into those preferences you're dealing with personal votes, local votes etc. Carrying on web the preferences just gives you a better guarantee that your vote will actually elect someone. That's the joy of it, you can select one and leave it at that, or all of them.

If there a four positions for example and ten candidates. The four candidates with the highest first preference votes should be elected. Just my tuppence worth. Never thought I'd be having this discussion on a swinging forum.

Cheers Mike "

That could mean that as little as 41% of the electorate elects 100% of the seats. In terms of democracy that's a huge step backwards from the system we have.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Michael Noonan is running the shop. It doesn't really matter who's Taoiseach and who's sitting in the Daíl.

Post new Message to Thread