Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Dimentia awareness week

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

's Dementia Awareness Week (14-20th May).

Keep physically and mentally active to help yourself prevent dementia.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/05/17 10:13:01]

over a year ago

"'s Dementia Awareness Week (14-20th May).

Keep physically and mentally active to help yourself prevent dementia."

I Think it's a shame that so many of us will get it yet the funding is not there to research more into it.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

Yes, and that reminds me, dementia awareness week is coming up soon

over a year ago

"Yes, and that reminds me, dementia awareness week is coming up soon "
yes I am doing a brief dementia awareness course soon, 2 day course, too open my mind to this dreadful disease, as I care for my mom who has advanced stages of it, so it's vital too know more about it, and interesting also.

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

Such a horrible mental condition for both the person suffering and for those who have to witness it.

The last two years of my grandmother's life were two years of fear and confusion for her.

It was dreadful to witness it, so much so that you'd hope she'd just pass away and finally have some peace. And when she finally did it was almost a relief. Yes, we were upset that she'd died but in a way we were happy that her suffering was over.

You're doing a good thing OP.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Yes, and that reminds me, dementia awareness week is coming up soon "
make sure you don't forget about it..

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Yes, and that reminds me, dementia awareness week is coming up soon make sure you don't forget about it.."

over a year ago

There's a lot of effort locally to make businesses more aware and to be more helpful towards those that have or display signs of it. I was lucky to be part of the pilot programme and hopefully it will be expanded and offered to all businesses soon. The information has proved extremely helpful on several occasions especially if the person was not aware of the signs before

Queen

over a year ago

"Such a horrible mental condition for both the person suffering and for those who have to witness it.

The last two years of my grandmother's life were two years of fear and confusion for her.

It was dreadful to witness it, so much so that you'd hope she'd just pass away and finally have some

peace. And when she finally did it was almost a relief. Yes, we were upset that she'd died but in a way we were happy that her suffering was over.

You're doing a good thing OP."

aww yah thanks! Well yes I can relate too what you said their, my mom hardly knows me, she is talking too someone, and doesn't know it's me, and then an hour later she could say my name, made me wonder how the mind works and I guess I want too know more about it, and pass on my knowledge too those who are going through same ordeal with their parent, I would encourage all carer's too do the course also,

By *isdirtygirlWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

Theres many different forms of dementia, from Alzheimers Disease to vascular dementia, mixed dementia and dementia with lewy bodies. Thats only a few ive named but theres many more.

It depends on the initial onset of the disease and the affected part of the brain that will determine its type.

The very best of luck doing your course. Its great that your arming yourself with knowledge which you can use as a coping mechanism. Dont be afraid to ask questions to go deeper with how it affects your mum and use the support to your advantage.

Coping with a loved one suffering with this illness is really hard and mind draining at the best of times.

Make sure you take time out for yourself also and take help from others to give you a well deserved break.

I wish you the very best of luck.

over a year ago

"Theres many different forms of dementia, from Alzheimers Disease to vascular dementia, mixed dementia and dementia with lewy bodies. Thats only a few ive named but theres many more.

It depends on the initial onset of the disease and the affected part of the brain that will determine its type.

Thanks very much for those encouraging words, yah as it happens, I am on a few days off, my sis has taken her, we share her careing, but I get the carer's allowance, and I live in with my mom, she gets respite aswell, so all 3 of us get a break together, it can be draining at times, but takes patience aswell, and understanding,

The very best of luck doing your course. Its great that your arming yourself with knowledge which you can use as a coping mechanism. Dont be afraid to ask questions to go deeper with how it affects your mum and use the support to your advantage.

Coping with a loved one suffering with this illness is really hard and mind draining at the best of times.

Make sure you take time out for yourself also and take help from others to give you a well deserved break.

I wish you the very best of luck. "

over a year ago

I think dementia is the one thing that scares me most.

over a year ago

"I think dementia is the one thing that scares me most. "
yes it's Scary alright.

over a year ago

"Theres many different forms of dementia, from Alzheimers Disease to vascular dementia, mixed dementia and dementia with lewy bodies. Thats only a few ive named but theres many more.

I wish you the very best of luck. "

Thanks very much for those encouraging words, yah as it happens, I am on a few days off, my sis has taken her, we share her caring, but I get the carer's allowance, and I live in with my mom, she gets respite aswell, so all 3 of us get a break together, it can be draining at times, but takes patience aswell, and understanding,

over a year ago

I wish you the very best of luck.

Thanks very much for those encouraging words, yah as it happens, I am on a few days off, my sis has taken her, we share her caring, but I get the carer's allowance, and I live in with my mom, she gets respite aswell, so all 3 of us get a break together, it can be draining at times, but takes patience aswell, and understanding,"

Can't beat good family during such hard times.

Post new Message to Thread