Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

United Ireland.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Significant provisions being made for it. Do you support?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I suppose you're on about the Irish government rabbiting on about the EU recognising the GFA and all that.

Well, that's just feckin talk and a restatement of what was plain and obvious under international law from the moment the UK and Ireland ratified the GFA.

The GFA is an internationally recognised treaty with provisions for a possible transfer of sovereignty on a chunk of territory from one state to another.

over a year ago

While I agree it is the GFA, the confirmation that the North would automatically have EU status if it joins Ireland is significant.

With Scotland talking about leaving, Britan could become a lot smaller.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Significant provisions being made for it. Do you support?"

of course many would support it but it'll never happen..if a united Ireland happened unionists will go mad and the troubles will flare up again

By *eisurepleasureMan
over a year ago

belfast

We have a united ireland on fab as they wont provide a norn irin chat room

over a year ago

No, not just like that because it suits the 6 counties. Swallow Brexit & we'll see in a few years. We want to see what happens too!

over a year ago

"unionists will go mad and the troubles will flare up again "

And republicans would go mad if they're stuck in a post brexit Northern Ireland, especially considering that the North voted to remain.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Should this be on the politics thread.

I meet people north and south... it never seems to me the people are divided. At heart they all want similar things: peace to be happy to love and be loved and live their lives with the minimum level of state intervention or sanction.

The politicians ....if only they could do the same...

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"Should this be on the politics thread.

I meet people north and south... it never seems to me the people are divided. At heart they all want similar things: peace to be happy to love and be loved and live their lives with the minimum level of state intervention or sanction.

The politicians ....if only they could do the same..."

Great post.

A deliberately provocative thread - nothing wrong with that if placed in the context of the "politics" forum.

My friends and I keep politics at arms length - hence why my circle includes people from varied religious backgrounds, racial profiles and sexual preferences.

Everyone in Ireland, particularly in Northern Ireland, has their own experiences of conflict and the vast majority do not feel the need to constantly discuss it as if it defines them as a person.

I second the request for admin to move this to the political forum.

Mr 2-4

over a year ago

"While I agree it is the GFA, the confirmation that the North would automatically have EU status if it joins Ireland is significant.

With Scotland talking about leaving, Britan could become a lot smaller. "

It's nothing more than stating the obvious in a purely hypothetical scenario. If and when Northern Ireland becomes a part of Ireland it becomes a part of Ireland, nothing more nothing less.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/04/17 11:57:45]

over a year ago

Great post.

A deliberately provocative thread - nothing wrong with that if placed in the context of the "politics" forum.

My friends and I keep politics at arms length - hence why my circle includes people from varied religious backgrounds, racial profiles and sexual preferences.

Everyone in Ireland, particularly in Northern Ireland, has their own experiences of conflict and the vast majority do not feel the need to constantly discuss it as if it defines them as a person.

Mr 2-4 "

This post wasn't "A deliberately provocative thread" as you suggested.

The reason I posted in Ireland, is because it is an Irish topic.

You should note, I lived in Northern Ireland for some time in my past and due to my close proximity to the border I would have experienced some of the divided communities as currently evident.

If you wish to sweep the current changing political landscape under the carpet, do at your own peril.

Finally, you should also note, I still keep in contact with friends in the North, neither I or them support violence.

By *inkywife1981Couple
over a year ago

A town near you

I think most want a united Ireland though I'm sure those see them self's as British would disagree

over a year ago

i think its inevitable . The chance to push forward on this will certainly not be ignored .

By *ineMan
over a year ago

"I think most want a united Ireland though I'm sure those see them self's as British would disagree"

I'm English but with Irish heritage. Lived here many years. Lines on maps have been drawn by politicians for all sorts of reasons many of which make less sense as time goes by.

Ireland is Ireland a line on a map does not divide people.

The cause of divisions is always the attitudes of the people themselves.

Perhaps we should all look more at what unites us...that way there would be much less pain heartache loss division and unhappiness in the world.

By *ork3SomeCouple
over a year ago

BaileSexy

Wondering what it would mean in terms of footing the bill for the North.

Isn't it a couple of billion London subsidises the North to? That, the cost of policing all the trouble that would inevitably flare up and one third of employment is civil service...not sure could we afford it, given the sorry state of finances and public services in the South

By *inkywife1981Couple
over a year ago

A town near you

"I think most want a united Ireland though I'm sure those see them self's as British would disagree

I'm English but with Irish heritage. Lived here many years. Lines on maps have been drawn by politicians for all sorts of reasons many of which make less sense as time goes by.

Perhaps we should all look more at what unites us...that way there would be much less pain heartache loss division and unhappiness in the world."

I'm referring to those born and bred across the border who see them self's as British not Irish and never will

By *r_mrs_studmuffinCouple
over a year ago

narnia

"Wondering what it would mean in terms of footing the bill for the North.

Isn't it a couple of billion London subsidises the North to? That, the cost of policing all the trouble that would inevitably flare up and one third of employment is civil service...not sure could we afford it, given the sorry state of finances and public services in the South"

you hit the nail on the head there

over a year ago

"I think most want a united Ireland though I'm sure those see them self's as British would disagree

Perhaps we should all look more at what unites us...that way there would be much less pain heartache loss division and unhappiness in the world.

I'm referring to those born and bred across the border who see them self's as British not Irish and never will"

I suppose those who see themselves as british and not irish and never will can always move to mainland britian if they have a problem .After all they are british yeah ?

By *ineMan
over a year ago

I'm referring to those born and bred across the border who see them self's as British not Irish and never will

I suppose those who see themselves as british and not irish and never will can always move to mainland britian if they have a problem .After all they are british yeah ?"

Britain and Ireland have shared a common history not always good and a common heritage for thousands of years.

Ideologies come and go borders come and go. The real common thread is "we the people" for we are the people.

If on this small island we the people cannot accept each of us is different emotionally politically socially and in every other way...its us that need to change.

Politicians Always have their own audience their own agendas and the need to play to all the divisive elements in order to get votes keep their jobs play on fears and maintain their positions.

Change of hearts minds tolerance respect for others views that comes from each of us...

One day the political elites may remember they are elected to serve we the people.

In the meantime if we create and hide behind any walls physical or emotional we deny ourselves the opportunity to see that people matter more than lines on maps.

over a year ago

Excellent points _ine

For me, I think we need to be one people before we can be one country. We need to forget about religion. We need to forget about past pains. It's not easy to do. Only time will tell if we can do it.

over a year ago

nicely put _ine

By *inkywife1981Couple
over a year ago

A town near you

I suppose those who see themselves as british and not irish and never will can always move to mainland britian if they have a problem .After all they are british yeah ?"

I imagine as they have been here for generations they won't just pack up and go lol

over a year ago

Great post.

Mr 2-4 "

By *safunwituMan
over a year ago

Enniscorthy

"Wondering what it would mean in terms of footing the bill for the North.

Isn't it a couple of billion London subsidises the North to? That, the cost of policing all the trouble that would inevitably flare up and one third of employment is civil service...not sure could we afford it, given the sorry state of finances and public services in the South"

Nearly sure i heard London subsidises the North to the tune of 12 billion. The EU gives considerably less and that is taken from UK payments to the EU. Think it would put a fair bit of pressure on Irelands finances. If it was to happen, i think i would prefer to see it happen for other reasons then brexit. I am here hoping things work out well for the UK and maybe others will follow.

over a year ago

I think London pays over €12 Billion a year to support the north but the southern border counties will do better as a result of unitification. If you look at Dundalk, when Sterling gets cheap it becomes a ghost town. O'Meath the same.

over a year ago

Personally, I don't think it's about the people becoming one before Ireland as a country can become one. We, the people all have our own religious/political/sexual beliefs etc and never in a million years will we all share those same beliefs.

The majority of the north voted to remain, but as part of the UK the north as a whole have to accept the overall majority vote and leave the EU.

That said I would personally welcome a referendum on 'Irish unity' or a 'united ireland'.

If the result is in favour of a united ireland then the (minority) voters of the 6 counties must accept this vote, as did the majority when it was brexit.

Lastly Ireland I think would benefit in doing business with the UK with 32 counties rather than 26.

over a year ago

Sould some of €60 Billion the UK has to pay the EU not be given to Northern Ireland if joins the south?

By *ceman 6969Man
over a year ago

Belfast

Popcorn get your popcorn here!

2 Euro

Or in old money £1.68

over a year ago

Simply put yes

over a year ago

"

...The majority of the north voted to remain, but as part of the UK the north as a whole have to accept the overall majority vote and leave the EU...

That said I would personally welcome a referendum on 'Irish unity' or a 'united ireland'.

If the result is in favour of a united ireland then the (minority) voters of the 6 counties must accept this vote, as did the majority when it was brexit.

"

Not until they can work out how 4.5 million vs 1.8 million would be a fair vote.

By *ir1967Man
over a year ago

in da sticks, london, amsterdam, madrid

Perhaps we should all look more at what unites us...that way there would be much less pain heartache loss division and unhappiness in the world."

Excellent statement

By *ocko123Man
over a year ago

Derry

".....If and when Northern Ireland becomes a part of Ireland it becomes a part of Ireland, nothing more nothing less. "
You tell 'em, Free Stater!!

over a year ago

"

...The majority of the north voted to remain, but as part of the UK the north as a whole have to accept the overall majority vote and leave the EU...

Not until they can work out how 4.5 million vs 1.8 million would be a fair vote."

Would you not just let the north decide on their own rather than southern opinion getting involved?

over a year ago

A failing government, with disregard for the real needs of its people will unite us all in the end

Everyone on a trolley in hospital corridor will vote the same

over a year ago

Won't ever happen to many free loaders in the north they'd never cope with out all the freebies they get

over a year ago

"

Not until they can work out how 4.5 million vs 1.8 million would be a fair vote.

Would you not just let the north decide on their own rather than southern opinion getting involved? "

How could we not be involved? You can't just add nearly half the population to our custody without consultation. Has it occurred to you that some in the South might not want unification?

By *ocko123Man
over a year ago

Derry

The WUMs on here are priceless!

over a year ago

"

Would you not just let the north decide on their own rather than southern opinion getting involved?

How could we not be involved? You can't just add nearly half the population to our custody without consultation. Has it occurred to you that some in the South might not want unification? "

I'm not actually supporting unification because I know as a tax payer I'd pay for it however as an Irish person there is a part of me that would like to see a united Ireland.

over a year ago

Agree that both north and south should have a say.

That's like me turning up to a fab party without an invite lol

over a year ago

As long as i have a job a roof over my head my health my familys health money in my pocket to get a pint or whatever i dont realy care who governs me as both govenments would tax me simalerly .oh an as long as i can have a fab time too i wouldnt care if i was part off the banana republic ,an need a new pasport an dont know what one to get id like a fab passport

over a year ago

No.

over a year ago

To have a united Ireland our taxes would go through the roof....so no thanks

Post new Message to Thread