Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Dublin travel advice please

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hiya everyone!

I'm going to be in Dublin for just a day with my husband in May. Its going to be from the early morning until the evening (about 7pm).

I've been to Dublin before but he hasn't and I've been trying to think of what I should take him to see for the short time we'll be there. Any advice would be appreciated! Also, if you have any recommendations for things to do early in the morning (and somewhere nice to eat breakfast) that would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

-Courtney

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

depends on what he's into if he likes history , culture , drinking, shopping. etc

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

One of the open air bus tours would be a great way of getting in as much of the touristy stuff as possible. There are 3 companies that do these tours but one of them is a lot cheaper than the others (cityscapetours.ie) and just as good.

over a year ago

"Hiya everyone!

I'm going to be in Dublin for just a day with my husband in May. Its going to be from the early morning until the evening (about 7pm).

I've been to Dublin before but he hasn't and I've been trying to think of what I should take him to see for the short time we'll be there. Any advice would be appreciated! Also, if you have any recommendations for things to do early in the morning (and somewhere nice to eat breakfast) that would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

-Courtney"

The sightseeing tour. you travel around the city in an open top bus, and can hop on and off at different places of interest, and then get back on the next one that comes along. They leave at 20 minute intervals.

enjoy your stay.

over a year ago

"depends on what he's into if he likes history , culture , drinking, shopping. etc"

Mostly into history, but we are open to everything really. I think the time restraint is more what I am worried about.

over a year ago

The open bus tour sounds promising, thanks!! I'll give it a look.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

you could do the Collins barracks museum and close by the Guinness store house then a walk down to Grafton Street a bite to eat/few pints then either a( tour site seeing/1916) or head to the national museum around the corner

over a year ago

I recommend the lemon jelly in millennium walk for breakfast and the Powers court townhouse for lunch!

over a year ago

"depends on what he's into if he likes history , culture , drinking, shopping. etc

Mostly into history, but we are open to everything really. I think the time restraint is more what I am worried about."

kilmanham jail is a good place to go if your into history.

over a year ago

You need to book kilmainham online to get in

By *on1980Man
over a year ago

City Centre

There is a good 1916 exhibition in the ambassador at the minute also.

over a year ago

Some really great advice so far, Thanks

By *aywhatnowMan
over a year ago

North County

Avoid temple bar at all costs! A complete Kip.

Otherwise enjoy your stay

over a year ago

Darndale is supposed to be lovely in May.

So is Jobstown

over a year ago

if youre into pubs ,well Dublins biggest pub and its smallest are on the same street and only a few minutes walk from eachother.The Dawson lounge on Dawson street is the smallest and Café en Sien the largest is only down the road.Cafe en Sien do grub if wanted to have a snack, the biggest and the smallest in the same day in the same hour, that might be an idea.Im not saying they are the best,there is nothing wrong with them but that's another nights work

over a year ago

Guinness storehouse takes about an hour to tourits good and you get a pint at the end in the skybar overlooking dublin. Natural history musuem is great and its very centrally located the citytour is also very good. Frombtge airport get the air coach to the city centre 13euro return a taxi will be expensive and take longer.And a ramble around Grafton street is great lots of hidden gems of pubs and cafes in the area. Hope you have a great time

over a year ago

Guinness storehouse takes about an hour to tour its good and you get a pint at the end in the skybar overlooking dublin. Natural history musuem is great and its very centrally located the citytour is also very good. From the airport get the air coach to the city centre 13euro return a taxi will be expensive and take longer.And a ramble around Grafton street is great lots of hidden gems of pubs and cafes in the area. Hope you have a great time

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"Darndale is supposed to be lovely in May.

So is Jobstown "

By *ean0001Man
over a year ago

Dublin West

The bus tour is a good idea as you are brought around the major attractions and if you dont like one you can stay on the bus to the next one.

The National museums are free to enter as is the national gallery but attractions like the Storehouse, charge in so do your homework before you decide, as some of them can be expensive enough.

If the weather is good you can have a ramble around St Stephens Green and down Grafton street just to see the sights, or grab a coffee and people watch for a little while.

Dublin is a small city compared to many so everything is pretty close to each other so you can cover a lot on foot.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it.

over a year ago

Courtney, I wish I were closer to Dublin! x

over a year ago

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to make an itinerary this week and you guys have all given me some great ideas!!

over a year ago

"Courtney, I wish I were closer to Dublin! x"

I wish you were, too!! Next time we go to Ireland we'll venture outside of Dublin

over a year ago

"Courtney, I wish I were closer to Dublin! x

I wish you were, too!! Next time we go to Ireland we'll venture outside of Dublin "

. What date are you guys in Dublin City Centre?

over a year ago

I wish you were, too!! Next time we go to Ireland we'll venture outside of Dublin . What date are you guys in Dublin City Centre?"

An early day in May. I can't remember the exact date and I'm too lazy to look it up

over a year ago

I wish you were, too!! Next time we go to Ireland we'll venture outside of Dublin . What date are you guys in Dublin City Centre? Haha fair enough...

An early day in May. I can't remember the exact date and I'm too lazy to look it up "

over a year ago

The Book of Kells at Trinity College is great, expensive but worth going to see!!

Dublin Castle is good, I did the tour which I thought was very good!!

I wasn't impressed with Collins Museum myself but if you're into museums then why not!!

over a year ago

Since you've only a short stopover in Dublin it might me a good idea to base yourself around Trinity College area.

There's a lot close by, shopping (Grafton st), Cafes/Restaurants/Bars (Dawson St/Powerscourt townhouse area)...

Cultural: Merrion Sq (Oscar Wilde and Dáil Éireann close by)

Stephens Green (Feed the ducks).

Either way I hope you enjoy yourselves, and maybe even return for a longer visit!

over a year ago

Dublin castle is worth a visit if you're up that direction

By *dam1995Man
over a year ago

mullingar

"Darndale is supposed to be lovely in May.

So is Jobstown "

Goodone one of the roughest places haha

Post new Message to Thread