Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Irish music

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is Irish music dead? Are we ever gonna have music like we used to have, the fureys,Christy Moore,the wolftones and the likes, is it dead to the current generation?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Def not. My kids are big fans for Christy Moore and Wolftones!

over a year ago

"Def not. My kids are big fans for Christy Moore and Wolftones! "

Ya but that's all old music, I'm asking is there gonna be a new generation of Irish music..

over a year ago

"Def not. My kids are big fans for Christy Moore and Wolftones!

Ya but that's all old music, I'm asking is there gonna be a new generation of Irish music.."

Ahhh im following now

By *andaCouple
over a year ago

co down

"Def not. My kids are big fans for Christy Moore and Wolftones!

Ya but that's all old music, I'm asking is there gonna be a new generation of Irish music.."

Wolftones is obviously old music but Christy has evolved over the years and is still hugely relevant. Are we ever going to see the likes of those again? I'd say yes but perhaps in a slightly more modern context...... Declan O Rourke, Damian Dempsey and many others have put their own slant on it. If you saw any of Centenary on RTE last week you'll know that traditional Irish music us in very safe hands

over a year ago

Seems a shame that its kinda died a death, don't get me wrong the classics will live for ever, maybe Christy shod wake joxer up and send him to the Euros again

over a year ago

"Seems a shame that its kinda died a death, don't get me wrong the classics will live for ever, maybe Christy shod wake joxer up and send him to the Euros again"

over a year ago

Well you've got songs like N17 - Saw Doctors, Galway girl...etc.

New stuff and still classified as folk. Just not as political as Wolfe Tones, Dubliners and that type of stuff.

I think the anti-British type stuff will go.

Surprised there isn't a load of songs about emigration considering what's happened to the country recently.

over a year ago

"Well you've got songs like N17 - Saw Doctors, Galway girl...etc.

New stuff and still classified as folk. Just not as political as Wolfe Tones, Dubliners and that type of stuff.

Surprised there isn't a load of songs about emigration considering what's happened to the country recently."

N17 and galway girl are pretty old, yes there is plenty of good inspiration about emigration and the recession for Irish musicians to write about, but that's my point,there's no one writing about it

over a year ago

Surprised there isn't a load of songs about emigration considering what's happened to the country recently."

An uncle of mine wrote a few about immigration and the like. PM me and ill tell ya where to look!!

over a year ago

Just post it here

over a year ago

Surprised there isn't a load of songs about emigration considering what's happened to the country recently.

N17 and galway girl are pretty old, yes there is plenty of good inspiration about emigration and the recession for Irish musicians to write about, but that's my point,there's no one writing about it"

Yes, but for every song made popular for generations by The Dubliners there were loads at the time who's material wasn't as popular/good.

People will be singing Galway Girl for years to come. But those type of songs don't come along very often.

I'm sure there are plenty of artists doing good work in the folk tradition today. If there is an audience for it?.. Well that's the question

over a year ago

Yes that's it, is there an audience for it, the songs from Phil Coulter for example, is there going to be another writer who captures the Irish life like he did, the town I loved so well was such a brilliantly written song, but yet oh so simple, where are the modern day writers that could do that...

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Galway Girl is a Steve Earle song. The pogues carried the ball for a while, Sharon Shannon put her spin on things. Damian Dempsey is probably the closest thing we got to the ballad singer of old. Cara Dillion did her piece. Groups like Dervish and The Gloaming are taking traditonal music in a new direction. Personally as much as I love the Clancy Brothers I don't want to see a group of lads in aran jumpers singing songs about poteen

How we listen to music itself has changed

over a year ago

"Yes that's it, is there an audience for it, the songs from Phil Coulter for example, is there going to be another writer who captures the Irish life like he did, the town I loved so well was such a brilliantly written song, but yet oh so simple, where are the modern day writers that could do that..."

And that's it. If nobody listened to Phil Coulter back then those songs would exist but wouldn't be known. With x-box, PlayStation, YouTube, Spotify, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook... Etc a modern day song writer is up against it.

But

over a year ago

"Yes that's it, is there an audience for it, the songs from Phil Coulter for example, is there going to be another writer who captures the Irish life like he did, the town I loved so well was such a brilliantly written song, but yet oh so simple, where are the modern day writers that could do that...

And that's it. If nobody listened to Phil Coulter back then those songs would exist but wouldn't be known. With x-box, PlayStation, YouTube, Spotify, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook... Etc a modern day song writer is up against it.

But"

Yep this whole new technological crap is destroying writers/performers, that fucker cowell has a lot to answer for with his blasted xfactor as well...

over a year ago

"Yes that's it, is there an audience for it, the songs from Phil Coulter for example, is there going to be another writer who captures the Irish life like he did, the town I loved so well was such a brilliantly written song, but yet oh so simple, where are the modern day writers that could do that...

But

Yep this whole new technological crap is destroying writers/performers, that fucker cowell has a lot to answer for with his blasted xfactor as well..."

I misread that as "that fucking cowbell" *Navanbi stared confusedly at a blank part of wall*

over a year ago

But

Yep this whole new technological crap is destroying writers/performers, that fucker cowell has a lot to answer for with his blasted xfactor as well...

I misread that as "that fucking cowbell" *Navanbi stared confusedly at a blank part of wall* "

Cowbells have more morality than that bollix cowell..moooooooo

over a year ago

Hopefully

over a year ago

Hell no were a big fan of the wolftones.

Got a vip invite to the gig in the City West

other week all laid on,was gutted we couldn't

make it tho.

Irish music is ripe up here round the border town's.

luve it.

over a year ago

To quote me dead grandad's last words as he took a heart attack dancing to the Hucklebuck "More cowbell yis bastards!"

over a year ago

Folks check out rich mcmahon. Irish singer song writer who lived in England. Sadly he passed away last year. He didn't sing your usual rebel songs. Hated doing them actually. Anyways have a listen. Don't ask me for links... Have no clue how to put them up. Ps jasper I took your advice!!!

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Aye Cool Filter, author of such stirring tunes such as All Kinds Of Everything and Congratulations.

over a year ago

"Hopefully "

How dare you!!! You could be an inspiration for a good aul Irish tune, theeeere was a man called thunderkiss, he had 7billion hairs on his chest,all the women said he was the best, till he had no coffee and had to have a rest

over a year ago

"Aye Cool Filter, author of such stirring tunes such as All Kinds Of Everything and Congratulations. "

And scorn not his simplicity

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

One mans treasure.....personally I'd take Christy, Damien Dempsey, Shane McGowan, moving hearts as being more representative of a changing Ireland.

over a year ago

irish music may seem its on the back burner in terms of being in the mainstream but its flourishing in parts of Ireland at an amazing rate, i was recently down in Feakle and Scariff Co Clare and the talent that was on show was some of the best i've ever seen. and im not talking about the woman

over a year ago

"irish music may seem its on the back burner in terms of being in the mainstream but its flourishing in parts of Ireland at an amazing rate, i was recently down in Feakle and Scariff Co Clare and the talent that was on show was some of the best i've ever seen. and im not talking about the woman "

Excellent, hopefully it can come bk into the mainstream someday....

over a year ago

Love all Irish music, brought up on it and now have our wee one hooked too. Seen finbar furey last year, far better live than on recording.

By *arky90Couple
over a year ago

Killarney

Few friends of mine are in a band called MOXIE (They have some great stuff on YouTube) it's kinda trad music with a twist and they are doing quite well for a group of talented young lads.

Post new Message to Thread