Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Fortune Tellers...... Yay or Nay?!

Jump to newest

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

So I'm a sceptic when it comes to anything like this. I have always felt that there is nothing behind it other than the persons ability to tell you random non specific things and make you relate them to your own life by a tiny thread.

I joined a friend today when she went to have a reading. I decided to have a reading done too just for a bit of a giggle.

This woman didn't know anything about me, not my name or where I was from, yet she was able to tell me very specific details about my life.

I have spent the last couple of hours wondering how she managed to do this. I am a very realistic and logical person usually, but this (lovely) lady has me totally perplexed and confused

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? Or have I just been suckered into believing something that I didn't think was real?!?

Miss Mcjoy

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So I'm a sceptic when it comes to anything like this. I have always felt that there is nothing behind it other than the persons ability to tell you random non specific things and make you relate them to your own life by a tiny thread.

I joined a friend today when she went to have a reading. I decided to have a reading done too just for a bit of a giggle.

This woman didn't know anything about me, not my name or where I was from, yet she was able to tell me very specific details about my life.

I have spent the last couple of hours wondering how she managed to do this. I am a very realistic and logical person usually, but this (lovely) lady has me totally perplexed and confused

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? Or have I just been suckered into believing something that I didn't think was real?!?

Miss Mcjoy "

Well seeing as your life isn't set in stone and you have an infinte number of possible outcomes for your future which are defined by different choices you make and becuase you can change you it so easily I don't believe in fortune tellers

By *razy-CplCouple
over a year ago

and surrounding areas

"So I'm a sceptic when it comes to anything like this. I have always felt that there is nothing behind it other than the persons ability to tell you random non specific things and make you relate them to your own life by a tiny thread.

Miss Mcjoy "

I would be a sceptic also, but Mrs went for a reading before we met and told her things that would happen to her in the future and gave her significant numbers that she said would be important and to date she was spot on , so I'm a little less sceptic also

Mr crazy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

I hear that!

I'm not saying that I believed anything she said will or may happen. It's the things that have happened that she could tell me that has me all confused

Miss _cjoy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

Miss Mcjoy

I would be a sceptic also, but Mrs went for a reading before we met and told her things that would happen to her in the future and gave her significant numbers that she said would be important and to date she was spot on , so I'm a little less sceptic also

Mr crazy "

I'm questioning my scepticism this evening if I'm being honest

Miss Mcjoy

over a year ago

Nope don't believe any of it

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

I went to a fortune teller a few years ago after hearing very good reputation about her.

went in thinking this is going to be a waste of my money..

The things she told me about very personally stuff in my past.

was beyond me.

She then told me the month I would fall pregnant.

With the last thing she said was the pregnancy to which I thought that was mad cause no way was that happening...

she was right ..

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/06/15 22:48:41]

over a year ago

"I hear that!

I'm not saying that I believed anything she said will or may happen. It's the things that have happened that she could tell me that has me all confused

Miss _cjoy "

Some fortune tellers can tell it just right but others don't! Personally I wouldn't like to know what's going to happen in the future so I don't bother going!!

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

All rubbish, I'm afraid.

over a year ago

Every bit as plausible as religion or astrology....

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"Every bit as plausible as religion or astrology...."

Neither of which I have ever been convinced of

Miss Mcjoy

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

My Great Great Great Grandfather's brother's first cousin's uncle was told when he was going to die, right down to the hour and the minute. Fucking judges are bastards sometimes !

over a year ago

Predators, who prey on people who are looking for closure or suffering...the money SOME of these make at a reading (tax free) is shocking...If you have a gift why charge people?? Is it a calling or a scam....By jaysus I detest these leaches...

After saying that Mrs K, does believe in them, and many a night we had a discussion of who is right..

over a year ago

"Every bit as plausible as religion or astrology....

Miss Mcjoy "

Exactly my point

By *shoreMan
over a year ago

cork

Now thats funny...well done. ....I must admit I do take it serious enough after something that happened to me...

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"Every bit as plausible as religion or astrology....

Miss Mcjoy

Exactly my point"

I know. My point is, if I've never been persuaded to believe in those, most especially religion; how on earth have I been made to rethink how I feel about fortune tellers.

Miss Mcjoy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"My Great Great Great Grandfather's brother's first cousin's uncle was told when he was going to die, right down to the hour and the minute. Fucking judges are bastards sometimes ! "

I shouldn't be laughing at that....... But I am

Miss Mcjoy

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"My Great Great Great Grandfather's brother's first cousin's uncle was told when he was going to die, right down to the hour and the minute. Fucking judges are bastards sometimes !

Miss Mcjoy "

Apologies for the brief hijack.

Mr McCarthy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"Predators, who prey on people who are looking for closure or suffering...the money SOME of these make at a reading (tax free) is shocking...If you have a gift why charge people?? Is it a calling or a scam....By jaysus I detest these leaches...

After saying that Mrs K, does believe in them, and many a night we had a discussion of who is right.."

Ah now I wouldn't be able to agree with the preying on people ...... I've never heard of anyone being forced to go to one. I chose of my own fee will to go in.

And if some people find solace or healing in seeing these people then who are we to say that's wrong. Each to their own

Miss Mcjoy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"My Great Great Great Grandfather's brother's first cousin's uncle was told when he was going to die, right down to the hour and the minute. Fucking judges are bastards sometimes !

Miss Mcjoy

Apologies for the brief hijack.

Mr McCarthy "

All hijackers are welcome here Mr McCarthy

Miss Mcjoy

over a year ago

I have heard some stories where they didnt have a breeze. There was one on the Late Late wasnt there who was speaking into the crowd saying "i sense that somebody has lost a Mary" ... sure it is Ireland, a Mary probably dies every week. The reverse of that though, there are plenty people who have been told stuff that has come true.

-

But I am a sceptic - I have never been though, so I cant provide an opinion based on both sides, only my own limited experience.

over a year ago

I'm not saying that some people have such skills.

But why would you pay someone to tell you some things about your past which you know already?

And what's the benefit of someone telling your future? Can you change it? Or is your destiny not in your own hands?

over a year ago

"I'm not saying that some people have such skills.

But why would you pay someone to tell you some things about your past which you know already?

And what's the benefit of someone telling your future? Can you change it? Or is your destiny not in your own hands? "

I meant to write. I'm not saying that some people don't have such skills. Because they probably exist.

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

And what's the benefit of someone telling your future? Can you change it? Or is your destiny not in your own hands? "

I can't answer for anyone else here, but I only went in for a bit of a laugh. Genuinely wasn't expecting to give it a second thought.

Miss Mcjoy

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

I went to a psychic once. She wouldn't see me as she said I needed to make a booking. I told her she should've known I was coming

over a year ago

And what's the benefit of someone telling your future? Can you change it? Or is your destiny not in your own hands?

I can't answer for anyone else here, but I only went in for a bit of a laugh. Genuinely wasn't expecting to give it a second thought.

Miss Mcjoy "

ah sure a bit if entertainment doesn't hurt. I do find mediums fascinating. But again I'm not sure how I could benefit from it.

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"I went to a psychic once. She wouldn't see me as she said I needed to make a booking. I told her she should've known I was coming "

Terrible!!! You can do better than that!! Haha

Miss Mcjoy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

Miss Mcjoy ah sure a bit if entertainment doesn't hurt. I do find mediums fascinating. But again I'm not sure how I could benefit from it. "

Oh now I don't think I could go to a medium..... Not sure I'd be giggling at that!!

Miss Mcjoy

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

A psychic dwarf prisoner escaped. The headlines READ...

"SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE"

over a year ago

"Predators, who prey on people who are looking for closure or suffering...the money SOME of these make at a reading (tax free) is shocking...If you have a gift why charge people?? Is it a calling or a scam....By jaysus I detest these leaches...

After saying that Mrs K, does believe in them, and many a night we had a discussion of who is right..

Ah now I wouldn't be able to agree with the preying on people ...... I've never heard of anyone being forced to go to one. I chose of my own fee will to go in.

And if some people find solace or healing in seeing these people then who are we to say that's wrong. Each to their own

Miss Mcjoy "

Mrs K agrees with this.

People go to find closure..in a sense they force themselves. Which is fine, I am not slagging off the punters, just the frauds who take advantage..

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"A psychic dwarf prisoner escaped. The headlines READ...

"SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE" "

Better

Miss Mcjoy

By *squaredCouple
over a year ago

Dublin/westmeath/kildare

I have been to few reads some spot on others way off. Last one just walked up to during festival and he told me that the reader that I was at in Dublin was dead and that he had taken over business. I hadn't told him I was at one. So I was like great should be good reading.

Then he read my partner through me as there was stuff I had to tell him and try and help him avoid. Very disappointed as it was me who wanted reading not him.

I was going out with a guy on the quiet to see how it would go before everyone got involved as we knew each other. She was able to tell me about him guess his initials, hair colour (rare colour) and tell me how many kids he had with ex and their initials. No one knew about us we hadn't been caught out and were never - decided it wouldn't work. Still has me wondering how she knew.

over a year ago

"I have been to few reads some spot on others way off. Last one just walked up to during festival and he told me that the reader that I was at in Dublin was dead and that he had taken over business. I hadn't told him I was at one. So I was like great should be good reading.

Then he read my partner through me as there was stuff I had to tell him and try and help him avoid. Very disappointed as it was me who wanted reading not him.

I was going out with a guy on the quiet to see how it would go before everyone got involved as we knew each other. She was able to tell me about him guess his initials, hair colour (rare colour) and tell me how many kids he had with ex and their initials. No one knew about us we hadn't been caught out and were never - decided it wouldn't work. Still has me wondering how she knew."

That sounds freaky!

over a year ago

Miss Mcjoy "

Since youre in Galway just wondering which one u went too? Jist curious been.wanting to go to one

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

Miss Mcjoy

Since youre in Galway just wondering which one u went too? Jist curious been.wanting to go to one"

No idea of her name as I wasn't paying any attention at all. She was in Limerick, apparently came with glowing recommendations

Miss Mcjoy

over a year ago

Miss Mcjoy

Since youre in Galway just wondering which one u went too? Jist curious been.wanting to go to one

No idea of her name as I wasn't paying any attention at all. She was in Limerick, apparently came with glowing recommendations

Miss Mcjoy "

Cool cool thanks anyways. Im kinda a sceptic too but with some things that happened personally to me I'd like to go and see one.

over a year ago

not all psychics are mediumistic , but most mediums are also psychic .,I am a medium and have been for most of my adult life . In the quest to understand and make sense of things I studied psychology and graduated with with a batchelor of science degree . I have read for many people over the last 10 years and yes sure for every person who ridiculed and made fun of it, there are many whose lives were touched and who gained answers they struggled to find elsewhere . I do not entertain people seeking the latest lotto numbers or who are seeking for the wrong reasons , and have turned many away with no explanation other than I am not the reader for them .

over a year ago

"not all psychics are mediumistic , but most mediums are also psychic .,I am a medium and have been for most of my adult life . In the quest to understand and make sense of things I studied psychology and graduated with with a batchelor of science degree . I have read for many people over the last 10 years and yes sure for every person who ridiculed and made fun of it, there are many whose lives were touched and who gained answers they struggled to find elsewhere . I do not entertain people seeking the latest lotto numbers or who are seeking for the wrong reasons , and have turned many away with no explanation other than I am not the reader for them . "

as a medium do you not use a spirit to tell you things ?

over a year ago

i do not use a spirit to tell me things no . I do not hear voices .

over a year ago

"i do not use a spirit to tell me things no . I do not hear voices ."

ok i always assumed mediums had a spirit guide no offence meant

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"not all psychics are mediumistic , but most mediums are also psychic .,I am a medium and have been for most of my adult life . In the quest to understand and make sense of things I studied psychology and graduated with with a batchelor of science degree . I have read for many people over the last 10 years and yes sure for every person who ridiculed and made fun of it, there are many whose lives were touched and who gained answers they struggled to find elsewhere . I do not entertain people seeking the latest lotto numbers or who are seeking for the wrong reasons , and have turned many away with no explanation other than I am not the reader for them . "

Wow. That must be a very interesting thing to be able to do for people.

I hope this thread in no way came across as me ridiculing anything. Up to this point in my life simply had no understanding of any of this. I had always opted for logic and reason so had no experience of anything of a psychic nature.

My most sincere apologies to you (and anyone else) if I came across as though I were laughing at anyone.

Miss Mcjoy

over a year ago

none taken . It is a much misunderstood area .

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"none taken . It is a much misunderstood area ."

I think I shall have to educate myself a little more about it

Miss Mcjoy

over a year ago

"none taken . It is a much misunderstood area .

Miss Mcjoy "

me too

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

Miss Mcjoy

Mrs K agrees with this.

People go to find closure..in a sense they force themselves. Which is fine, I am not slagging off the punters, just the frauds who take advantage.."

There will be those who take advantage in every walk of life sadly ..... The trick is to learn how to spot them

Miss Mcjoy

By *cjoy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Galway

"none taken . It is a much misunderstood area .

Miss Mcjoy

me too "

Miss Mcjoy

over a year ago

No offence.meant but I do believe it's purely psychology. It's just reading people and getting information from them without them realising they are giving it to you. When it comes to telling the future you just predict a likely outcome and their mind sub consciously focuses on that and makes it happen.

By *s louWoman
over a year ago

Enniskillen

"I hear that!

Miss _cjoy "

This happened to me a good few years ago. went to a fortune teller and she was able to tell me some very personal stuff that no one else knew....ie she told me I had recently lost my dad and she could see him with 3 babies surrounding him - 1 in a christening dress and 2 who were lost early stages. before I could tell her I'd only had 1 miscarriage she was able to tell me exactly when I had the 2nd... I'd thought I was pregnant at the time she said but tests had come back negative

the one thing she did get wrong was when she said she couldn't see me getting pregnant in the near future - I found out a few weeks later I was expecting again.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/06/15 07:44:56]

over a year ago

"No offence.meant but I do believe it's purely psychology. It's just reading people and getting information from them without them realising they are giving it to you. When it comes to telling the future you just predict a likely outcome and their mind sub consciously focuses on that and makes it happen."
its called cold reading. you can buy books on it.Derren Brown did an experiment where he read 100 Spanish speakers and 100 english speakers in California and gave each of them 2 page letter about their past,present and future, describing all aspects of their personality their hopesand dreams etc and asked them to rate the information. most gave him a 90/95 per cent accuracy rating.he then revealed every single person had received the exact same letter. Google cold reading,interesting stuff.

over a year ago

Anyone see Keith Barry's brain hacker? If not Google the episode he dressed up as an auld codger that could read hands etc and and had people convinced he was legit, at the end he told everyone its complete nonsense...

It's an art alright of deception!!

over a year ago

I believe some people have a "gift" but I don't believe everyone who claims to have it

I've been to see tonnes of mediums and tarot card readers. There's no such thing as "fortune tellers" they either read ur cards or ur palm or connect with spirits.

I was at a tarot reader in clonmel last wk who was absolutely amazing, I put no weight in predictions for the future because we all use free will, but fascinates the life out of me that they can either guess or read you and be so spot on, if they are fakes then that's a gift in itself!

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Its called cold reading and its a scam,its been proven over and over

If anyone claims to be a medium they should take the million dollar test by some US university,if they can do it under lab conditions they get the dough

Over 1000 tried and all failed

What's the harm if it brings comfort? Its exploiting and taking advantage of vulnerable ppl for cash using lies

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

"I believe some people have a "gift" but I don't believe everyone who claims to have it

I've been to see tonnes of mediums and tarot card readers. There's no such thing as "fortune tellers" they either read ur cards or ur palm or connect with spirits.

I was at a tarot reader in clonmel last wk who was absolutely amazing, I put no weight in predictions for the future because we all use free will, but fascinates the life out of me that they can either guess or read you and be so spot on, if they are fakes then that's a gift in itself!"

A magician isn't gifted,they perform tricks that they are taught and learned,some better than others

Same as mediums.

over a year ago

"i do not use a spirit to tell me things no . I do not hear voices .

ok i always assumed mediums had a spirit guide no offence meant"

Everyone has a spirit guide, some choose to listen, others don't. I am a medium and I connect with passed souls. A gift which everyone has if they took the time to develop it. I do not tell the future, I do not give love advice because that only requires common sense not a psychic. I use the tarot cards to ask for advice about a situation. I give closure to those who have lost loved ones. And I would never charge for this as it puts performance pressure on, as you have to be in a good place yourself before doing a sitting. I can also give distance healing. But there is no point in talking to those who have no wish to believe in such spiritual stuff as yoy're banging your head against a brick wall.

over a year ago

People who observe details, are empaths, and have an understanding of human psychology can easily deduce information about others from a few tidbits.

over a year ago

"I believe some people have a "gift" but I don't believe everyone who claims to have it

I was at a tarot reader in clonmel last wk who was absolutely amazing, I put no weight in predictions for the future because we all use free will, but fascinates the life out of me that they can either guess or read you and be so spot on, if they are fakes then that's a gift in itself!

A magician isn't gifted,they perform tricks that they are taught and learned,some better than others

Same as mediums. "

very true, the more you practise the stronger your gift becomes. Same as any gift or talent.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

Everyone has a spirit guide, some choose to listen, others don't. I am a medium and I connect with passed souls. A gift which everyone has if they took the time to develop it. I do not tell the future, I do not give love advice because that only requires common sense not a psychic. I use the tarot cards to ask for advice about a situation. I give closure to those who have lost loved ones. And I would never charge for this as it puts performance pressure on, as you have to be in a good place yourself before doing a sitting. I can also give distance healing. But there is no point in talking to those who have no wish to believe in such spiritual stuff as yoy're banging your head against a brick wall."

Lol, that's a bit of a cop out at the end there.

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Everyone has a spirit guide, some choose to listen, others don't. I am a medium and I connect with passed souls. A gift which everyone has if they took the time to develop it. I do not tell the future, I do not give love advice because that only requires common sense not a psychic. I use the tarot cards to ask for advice about a situation. I give closure to those who have lost loved ones. And I would never charge for this as it puts performance pressure on, as you have to be in a good place yourself before doing a sitting. I can also give distance healing. But there is no point in talking to those who have no wish to believe in such spiritual stuff as yoy're banging your head against a brick wall."

Distance healing?

over a year ago

I am a total sceptic, but accept that many people find support and solace from these methods..

It does interest me though when others poke fun or brush it off as whacky , yet they believe in a big guy in the sky

over a year ago

Everyone has a spirit guide, some choose to listen, others don't. I am a medium and I connect with passed souls. A gift which everyone has if they took the time to develop it. I do not tell the future, I do not give love advice because that only requires common sense not a psychic. I use the tarot cards to ask for advice about a situation. I give closure to those who have lost loved ones. And I would never charge for this as it puts performance pressure on, as you have to be in a good place yourself before doing a sitting. I can also give distance healing. But there is no point in talking to those who have no wish to believe in such spiritual stuff as yoy're banging your head against a brick wall.

Lol, that's a bit of a cop out at the end there. "

yup but true

over a year ago

"I am a total sceptic, but accept that many people find support and solace from these methods..

It does interest me though when others poke fun or brush it off as whacky , yet they believe in a big guy in the sky "

I presume you mean God, well he created the world!!

over a year ago

I know a guy who is getting huge recognition for his "psychic" abilities being able to hypnotize peopl,read minds and find out things about their past. So I met him one night after his performance and we talked in depth how it's all psychological and how only certain people are susceptible to it. It's very interesting but it ain't magic or anything supernatural

over a year ago

Lol, that's a bit of a cop out at the end there. "

You gotta love the riders they put in to cover the nonsense. If in any way I can't read you, it's YOUR fault. Bollocks.

over a year ago

"I am a total sceptic, but accept that many people find support and solace from these methods..

It does interest me though when others poke fun or brush it off as whacky , yet they believe in a big guy in the sky

I presume you mean God, well he created the world!! "

* pats Rosebud gently on the head *

Then yells, did you not mean she created the world!!!!!!!

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

Lol, that's a bit of a cop out at the end there.

You gotta love the riders they put in to cover the nonsense. If in any way I can't read you, it's YOUR fault. Bollocks."

Yep, have to agree with that!

Post new Message to Thread