Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Solving the Worlds food shortage problem

Jump to newest

By *illow1972 OP   Man
over a year ago

Naas

The third and final Thread in the trilogy of requests that have been made by people who follow my threads.

In Southern Africa a person has developed a system for growing simple gardens. The system is easy to maintain and the simple gardening and irrigation kit he created costs just $25.00.

This is just one example of how anyone can make a difference. This is so affordable that most people can become directly involved in helping to solve the world food shortage problem.

How would you try to solve it?

Thank you.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

supermarkets should be ashamed when i done security for a leading chain the amount of waste food they threw away at the end of the night was unreal.I dont know if it solve the world problems but they should be made to donate food thats left over locally lots of familys struggling at the mo and children going hungry.Sorry rambling now.

over a year ago

"supermarkets should be ashamed when i done security for a leading chain the amount of waste food they threw away at the end of the night was unreal.I dont know if it solve the world problems but they should be made to donate food thats left over locally lots of familys struggling at the mo and children going hungry.Sorry rambling now."

I think it's actually against health n safety regs. If someone gets food poisoning etc it would leave the way open for lots of claims.

over a year ago

I have enough trouble solving my own problems, never mind world wide problems

over a year ago

"supermarkets should be ashamed when i done security for a leading chain the amount of waste food they threw away at the end of the night was unreal.I dont know if it solve the world problems but they should be made to donate food thats left over locally lots of familys struggling at the mo and children going hungry.Sorry rambling now.

I think it's actually against health n safety regs. If someone gets food poisoning etc it would leave the way open for lots of claims. "

I can understand that with meat products but this could be packages ripped open frpm a six pack of stuff multi pack stuff like that all tinned most of the time but the meat they used throw out was unreal.

By *owdyBoobyMan
over a year ago

limerick

There is a company in the UK that does that food bank program or something like that its called. So yes food wastage can be alleviated just the supermarkets wont make money from it.

Within the next 50 years we will all be growing our own fruit and veg through hydroponics and production of meat will decline due to fact that more insect based products will come on the world market.

over a year ago

"supermarkets should be ashamed when i done security for a leading chain the amount of waste food they threw away at the end of the night was unreal.I dont know if it solve the world problems but they should be made to donate food thats left over locally lots of familys struggling at the mo and children going hungry.Sorry rambling now."
children going hungry? In Ireland?

over a year ago

"There is a company in the UK that does that food bank program or something like that its called. So yes food wastage can be alleviated just the supermarkets wont make money from it.

Within the next 50 years we will all be growing our own fruit and veg through hydroponics and production of meat will decline due to fact that more insect based products will come on the world market."

just watch the government will tax people for growing their own fruit and veg

over a year ago

"There is a company in the UK that does that food bank program or something like that its called. So yes food wastage can be alleviated just the supermarkets wont make money from it.

Within the next 50 years we will all be growing our own fruit and veg through hydroponics and production of meat will decline due to fact that more insect based products will come on the world market."

Ooh! I can't wait, giant grasshopper for Sunday lunch anyone?

By *owdyBoobyMan
over a year ago

limerick

Within the next 50 years we will all be growing our own fruit and veg through hydroponics and production of meat will decline due to fact that more insect based products will come on the world market.

Ooh! I can't wait, giant grasshopper for Sunday lunch anyone?"

Canned Edible Tarantula can be purchased in any good Asian shop.

over a year ago

Ooh! I can't wait, giant grasshopper for Sunday lunch anyone?

Canned Edible Tarantula can be purchased in any good Asian shop."

I wonder will it be as good as tinned whole chicken(sans giblets) I recently saw on my travels.

over a year ago

You can get a kit that floats your veg on top of water, you put fish in the water, their waste nitrates fertilize the plants and they grow.

You eat the fish and the veg.

It's not clear if it can offer you enough food yet though.

You can also buy freight farms, cargo freight containers with vertical farms in them. They can grow the same amount of food as a small farm but in the size of a container.

An Italian man invented a basket sculpture that collects water from the air. It costs very little to make and can collect 25 gallons of water from the air with no power, no electricity nothing, he has a few of them in Africa, is looking for funding to help train people to make them themselves.

over a year ago

From dry, African air? How long does it take to collect 25 gallons?

By *owdyBoobyMan
over a year ago

limerick

Have you ever seen the method of refrigeration in Africa when they have no electricity. Its quite ingenious.

over a year ago

"From dry, African air? How long does it take to collect 25 gallons?"

A day, its 30ft high and looks like a basket, the water runs down the inside, in Ethiopia where there are no wells it can collect 25 gallons a day.

Google WarkaWater, you can read all about it.

over a year ago

"From dry, African air? How long does it take to collect 25 gallons?

A day, its 30ft high and looks like a basket, the water runs down the inside, in Ethiopia where there are no wells it can collect 25 gallons a day.

Google WarkaWater, you can read all about it."

Thank you, it looks very impressive. Now I know Ethiopia has a mountainous area so I presume you need fog, mist or some kind of humid air for it to work to it's full potential, will it work on the scorched lowland plains though.

Post new Message to Thread